• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Pokemon that Ash released in the anime made you cry ?

Artificial Amateur 2

Artificial Amateur 2
Years
  • According to me , the moment where Ash released him lapras made me both sad and angry on him because Lapras was one of the powerful pokemon he had .

Feel free to comment your opinions and views on this thread !

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    His releasing of Butterfree was pretty sad, and him deciding to leave Charizard was too because they made it so dramatic. I remember feeling a little sad when he left Pidgeot behind too because of how loyal Pigeotto/Pidgeot was for him.

The thing with Lapras is that he was really only keeping her to help them travel across the Orange Islands and until they found her family. Once Lapras found her family she was supposed to return to them.

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
  • This technically isn't a Pokémon "owned" by Ash, but I think Ash's goodbye with that wild Butterfree during Decolora Adventure was the saddest for me. I found it really heart-wrenching for a couple of reasons: firstly, he reminisced about parting ways with his old Butterfree, which made him feel a strange sense of nostalgia that we typically don't see in Ash.

Furthermore, BW Ash actually cried... and I mean BW Ash. By this point in time, Ash has already parted ways with sooooo many other friends, companions, and Pokémon in the past, to the point where he's actually used to it. That being said, seeing him cry like that felt like a very special occasion for BW, especially when we consider that he was almost essentially reliving those same sad moments all over again.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • I am not admitting that any episode made me cry. But the Butterfree one was sad, and very soon after I started watching.
    You kind of expect this from Ash by now, he parts ways with so many.

Years
  • Butterfree for sure. I recently rewatched the episode (9GO! is currently reairing Indigo League episodes) and it reminded me how much I cried when I was a kid, because I wanted Butterfree to be with him longer.

Now I still look back at the pink Butterfree and feel that Game Freak got inspired by it when making shiny Butterfree have pink wings.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Butterfree is probably still the one that makes me the most sad after all these years. Although Goodra's would have to be a close second? Either Goodra's or Lapras. I can't say I really remember crying over any other of his releases beyond those three but it's been a while.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
    Years
  • Hmm... well, none really made me cry... well okay, Butterfree did make me feel quite bad. =( But I got quite upset when he went to Hoenn and left Chikorita / Bayleef behind just to make a new start. She was very attached to him, pretty much had a crush on the guy, and that's how he treats her? =(
    Which Pokemon that Ash released in the anime made you cry ?

Poor thing... ;_; You deserve better. =( *wants to adopt her and give her the loving care she needs*

EDIT: Had to add an image on how Bayleef must feel without Ash. >_<

Last edited:

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Butterfree was the saddest for me, both when he traded it for Raticate and when he eventually released it into the wild. The former was also the first time he did it, making it more of a shock as it wasn't an established thing yet.

But I'll have to agree with Mawa about Jesse and Dustox being the saddest overall.

Years
  • I have to say Butterfree, but in the anime overall it is Jessie and Dustox that broke my heart.

I remembered Dustox's goodbye as well, especially since it was a huge shoutout to when Ash released Butterfree. There was Dustox mating with an alternate coloured member of its species (although in this case, it was an actual shiny Dustox) and the yellow ribbons on her antennae were a reference to Ash's Butterfree with his scarf.

It also showed us that breaking a Poke Ball entirely counts as releasing a Pokemon, since Jessie was forced to resort to that method because Dustox didn't want to leave her behind.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    Probably when he released Butterfree, but I wasn't crying or anything I was more like yeah that's pretty sad.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Most touching probably when he release his butterfree, just the look on butterfree expression he regret it, but was happy all along and Ash is fine too and more touching when a flashback occur when Ash trains the lazy caterpie to make him evolve to the butterfree, it's just so sad and aching tears.

Back