• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which should I get?

Rageon

Houndoom-Raised Ace Trainer!
Years
  • Hi! I've NEVER played any 3rd gen games before. Which one do you think I should get?
    -FireRed
    -LeafGreen
    -Emerald
    -Ruby
    -Sapphire

Years
  • I would chose Pokemon Emerald personally, it's gameplay far passes ruby and sapphire, and it would be fun to play that before Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Team Magma and Aqua are some of the best criminal organizations to date in a pokemon game, the fact that you have to pick a side makes it so fun. I enjoy the pokemon from this generation a lot, and although some don't like it that the region is half water, i think the surfing music makes up for that (and some pretty awesome new water types).

Firered and Leafgreen are great too, they are so nostalgic yet have a new feel to them (2004 "new"). the post game is nothing to laugh at either, i felt like the post game in Ruby and sapphire was lacking, though emerald brought it up a few notches giving us more fun after we thought it was all over. I feel like the art design is much more sleek that RSE.

If you played RBY nostalgia will play a role for FRLG, if you want a new adventure RSE is your guy/gal. Again i would choose emerald and that is due to the fact that i grew up with Ruby and Sapphire, and Emerald is better in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2016
    Most will say Emerald but my vote goes to Ruby or Sapphire.

They're so simple yet charming. It's a good chance to see the base of modern Pokémon gaming as they're the earliest games which are compatible with X and Y as you can send your Pokémon all the way up through each generation.

They have their problems as mentioned by the person above me such as very little post game but they're still a lot of fun. Emerald fixed this largely and Fire Red/Leaf Green had effectively another region worth of after game with the Sevii Islands but I say take it slow, start with those two and then move up.

I love Ruby and Sapphire.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    As much as I love Pokemon Sapphire since it's my first game, I have to go with Emerald. Pokemon Emerald is definitely the more complete Hoenn adventure (though OR/AS will soon take over that role).

Fire Red/Leaf Green should only be bought if you really want to play through Kanto with GBA graphics. It's really nothing new besides that. Pokemon X and Y are practically Kanto but french.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • If you played Red/Blue, then go with Emerald. It's got probably the best story of every game I've played through so far and it's very enjoyable.

If you haven't played Red/Blue, then go for FireRed/LeafGreen. Very good remakes and FireRed is my favorite game currently. Only difference between games is the Pokémon, listed here: https://www.serebii.net/red_green/exclusives.shtml

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If you're getting only one, then I would say Emerald. It's got tons of features, storyline is very engaging, locations are fun to explore (well, at least in my opinion), and in-general, you'll find yourself enjoy your time quite a bit. If you are going to choose more than that, then first game I would recommend is either FireRed or LeafGreen, due to timeline reasons. Then, you could consider playing Pokémon Emerald.

pyx

I will never repeat myself... I will never repeat
    Years
  • Well, I'd get all of them XD But to answer your question, I think you should pick Emerald. The storyline is just awesome and it has the animated Pokemon sprites that the Ruby/Sapphire games lack. To be honest, I think you can pick any of the R/S/E games as they are pretty much the same game. It's just a question of what Pokemon you want to be able to use. I would suggest looking up the version exclusive Pokemon for each of them and then making the final choice. If you choose to play the R/S/E games that is :P

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I'm going to +1 Pokemon Emerald. It is one of my favorite games overall, and for a good reason. The story is superior to Ruby and Sapphire, plus there are more Pokemon available for capture and more features (especially a large and engaging postgame!) than RSE. This is probably just me, but I was never a huge fan of games set in Kanto, and FRLG just didn't seem to stand out that much to me. Or at least, they were definitely outshined by Emerald.

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2023
    Pokémon Emerald is the best by far. Awesome music, better Pokémon (I think), more gameplay than Sapphire and Ruby. Firered and LeafGreen have more endgame content. I would recommend playing a Pokemon Hack like Expert Emerald. Just play all of them.

Laylaw

"Smell ya later!" - Blue
    Years
  • Emerald. I've always had a soft spot for Sapphire, but there's way more content in Emerald than any of the others.

Vinny Vidi Vici

Leave Luck To Heaven
    Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Emerald is better than Ruby in Sapphire in virtually every way, so go with that. If you've never played Red/Blue/Yellow, then I'd recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green, but otherwise, probably not as they don't add a tremendous amount more from the gen 1 games aside from being updated.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • Emerald for sure. In Emerald, you get more content, better gameplay, as well as get to capture not only both Groudon and Kyogre, but also Rayquaza. The others above me have already elaborated on its clear advantages, so you get the gist haha. As for FireRed and LeafGreen, choose whichever one you want. They're basically upgraded versions of RBY.

Years
  • Emerald, as everyone has pointed out, has it's strong suits for the Generation 3 game to play.

But if you wanted to play an upgraded version of Red and Blue, then go with one of those two. Or if you've never experienced the region before. It's very cool.

Years
  • I'm probably going with the others and recommend you pick Emerald. Given with the release of OR/AS in November and all the hype coming with it, playing one of the classic Hoenn games would be a great build-up.

It also has probably more content than the other 3rd Gen games combined.

Kelton2

Yes, That One
    Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    I would go with Emerald. Overall better than R/S IMO, FR/LG are okay but I much prefer Hoenn over Kanto (sorry guys...)

Years
  • Depends. DO you want something totally new or a remake? Nothing can replace a fresh new game and the experience, but reliving the memories/nostalgia can be just as good so...

for a remake: Firered/Leafgreen (see which Pokemon exclusives you like more and go with it)
    for new experience: Emerald.

If you can, play both :D

Back