• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who dislikes the box system?

Do you like the box system?

• Yes!

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • meh...

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

Ocarina of Time - OOT

The Hero of Time, and more...
    Years

I personally hate to have to put a legendary pkm into the box because my team is stronger. I wish GAMEFREAK would allow you to access to box anytime. Also, most of my boxed pkm will never be used, I just use the box to store hundred of pkm for my Pokedex

Anyone got any thoughts?

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years

I personally hate to have to put a legendary pkm into the box because my team is stronger. I wish GAMEFREAK would allow you to access to box anytime. Also, most of my boxed pkm will never be used, I just use the box to store hundred of pkm for my Pokedex

Anyone got any thoughts?
    Well, what else would you have implemented? The box system works well imo.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I don't see why I would like or hate it. For me it's just there, and it's been there since the inception of the franchise. Now if its Gen I & II compared to Gen III and on I will take that box over the former any day.

I am not sure what you mean by accessing it anytime. I assume you mean by menu instead of having to go to a pokemon center? Because going to the Pokemon Center is as simple as it gets. If you don't use them then release them... Or you could start a new game and play with a new set of pokes. Why do you use to store them for dex data? Even if you release them the data still remains.

My thoughts are what alternative is there or what do you have in mind that would be better then the current storage system? Do you propose a Pokemon Ranch or have them housed at your Professor Lab(as in the show)? Basically I have no issue with it and don't even think about it as opposed to other pokemon related things.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Whoops, voted the wrong option (I should've said yes).

Anyway, the box system is there for a reason: so that you can rotate between the Pokemon in your team with the ones stored in there for whatever reason you may have. If you don't want to have a Pokemon sent to the PC when you catch it, just leave an empty space on your team by sending one of the Pokemon you don't need at the moment from your team to the PC.

As for me, I like the box system because I find it useful to store any extra Pokemon I get and I can choose the ones I can use for the team from there.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I love the Box System (thanks, Bill and Lanette!) Very efficient, and allows you to organize Pokemon while offering several options for Box naming, Box background wallpaper, and even mass Pokemon-moving at times. Generation 3 definitely helped a lot of players IMO with the institution of the "auto-redirect feature", where the Box System automatically sends a Pokemon to the next available empty space in the System if the capacity of the "current" Box is full. "Any-time access" would probably be even more convenient, but I'm fine with the system as it is now. And as Kenshin5 mentioned, even if you release a Pokemon, the Pokedex still retains its info and marks/labels that Pokemon species in question as "caught" in the Pokedex listing.

My thoughts are what alternative is there or what do you have in mind that would be better then the current storage system? Do you propose a Pokemon Ranch or have them housed at your Professor Lab(as in the show)? Basically I have no issue with it and don't even think about it as opposed to other pokemon related things.

Strictly housing Pokemon at the regional Lab would be quite tedious IMO...rather than having the number of Box System access points equal to the number of a region's Pokemon Centers (number of access points is increased if other locations have PCs that are enabled to connect to Bill's PC, like such a PC in Hoenn's Weather Institute), a regional-Professor's-Lab-based system would reduce the access points to just one, and you'd practically be required to Fly back to your hometown's Lab any time you wanted to withdraw a Pokemon, or spend a lot of time just making the journey back home just to withdraw/deposit one Pokemon. :<

I'm not very clear on how My Pokemon Ranch holds Pokemon, but it seems intriguing...

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    Personally I love the box systems. I mean, without it we'd either be purely limited to six Pokemon only, or have to carry every last one of them around, which sounds cool, but try training each and every single one of them. Other trainers would be allowed to carry just as many, making it a possible 500+ vs 500+ battle! No thank you, six is perfect.

Plus, when I'm out catching Pokemon seeing that PC Box completely filled with Pokemon feels like this little success.

So yeah, I like the Box system. I can organize my Pokemon easily.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    That would make the adventure cheated though. idk, that wouldn't feel right to me to have access to it wherever and whenever. Then you could just heal in the middle of nowhere, change party members, change out HM slaves, and that would ruin the fun for me, honestly.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I don't really like or dislike the box system, but I wish there was an area like the day care were you can store Pokemon to be trained in a different manner (like learning moves or increasing EV's) Instead of just depositing them in boxes to do nothing. In spite of that, the box system is very useful.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    What I don't like about the Box system is that we still have options for "Withdraw Pokemon" and "Deposit Pokemon" when "Move Pokemon" lets you do both as well as move them between boxes. Therefore, those two options seem pretty redundant, and worse they're put on top of the much more useful and comprehensive "Move Pokemon."

Years
    What I don't like about the Box system is that we still have options for "Withdraw Pokemon" and "Deposit Pokemon" when "Move Pokemon" lets you do both as well as move them between boxes. Therefore, those two options seem pretty redundant, and worse they're put on top of the much more useful and comprehensive "Move Pokemon."

Yes, I feel the same way! Withdraw and Deposit is useless. Considering when you deposit a Pokemon, you want to withdraw another in its place. Stupid, if you ask me.

What I also don't understand is why do you start at box 1 or the last box you closed out of? It is a pain to flip through all those boxes to finally make it to the box you want. It would be convenient if it accessed all the following boxes (1-17 now, I think) on one screen where you can tap which box you wanted to go to. I realize that they added a 'jump to >insert whatever box<' feature where you can scroll which box you wanted on the right side, but since it isn't visible all the time, you can forget it is completely there.

Sorry if that sounded confusing.

Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2017
    I don't hate it but I don't love it. If it were somehow made available to us at all times then I would love it. You would only be able to do it before a battle engages but still would make for rotating your pokemon much easier. They could make it into a "poke gear" feature" called "virtual pokemon transfer". Also, consolidating the functions to just "move" rather than "deposit" "withdraw" and "move" would be nice

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    I think the biggest issue is HMs. Either make them something the trainer can do, or make each HM a solid move a la Surf and Waterfall.

Skitty1

Highlight my signature :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2012
    I have never had an issue with and it works fine :D

Years
    I voted no, but meant yes.

Several reasons, one being it makes it so that you take certain combos. By being able to change on the fly, it takes out that dynamic.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2012
    I'd rather it be like the anime where they can go to the Prof. and train learning new moves. Take away Daycares and let it be done this way.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

Meh. Thats all i can say. Couldn't care more, couldn't care less. I think there are other areas of the game that could be improved first, but maybe something to fresh it up though. Anyone got any ideas?

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    My main question is what's wrong with it? I will agree with the annoying withdraw/deposit, though. Honestly, I've never used those features.

Why would you want to have an all-time access to the PC? Come on now, that's cheating. You might as well not have a six Pokemon party and just carry all the Pokemon you have with you, because that's basically what you want. The games themselves aren't too challenging to begin with and this would take out almost all of the fun in the first five minutes. HM's are an issue, but in reality, you don't need more than one HM slave to move around at least 3/4 of any region, the main moves being Surf and co.

Back