• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who else misses the classic Ken Sugimori Art?

AdmiralOllie

Explorer of Websites
Years
  • Who else misses the classic Ken Sugimori Art?

Images from here:
    https://images.app.goo.gl/GERUQUZDYmatZpATA

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2021
    I love these so much! I just prefer this overal style! He makes the Pokémon come to life. Also, I also like the consistency in his drawings.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • While the watercolour does have a certain charm, I feel the newer artwork is overall better because of improved proportions and the colours inject more life into Pokémon. As an artist myself, I don't miss the classic art after seeing improvements on the latest artworks, much like my previous work compared to my recent pieces.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I much prefer the newer artwork. The watercolour feels slightly more juvenile and the pokemon feel less vibrant, as their colouration seems quite diluted and dull. Furthermore, as Fafrir said, the modern designs are proportioned much better.

Last edited:

Commander Saturn

Information Broker
    Years
  • While I can agree that the newer art is better proportioned, I feel that the older art not being so is a huge part of it's charm. I significantly miss the older art and I love seeing the newer Pokemon drawn in that style by various artists; it is quite refreshing in a nostalgic way.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • I would really like to see more Pokémon in Sugimori's current style, but in poses like these. They just look so full of life compared to the newer art, which looks somewhat stiff.

Years
  • I've edited your post to include more information. Please don't just paste links into a message and make people click before they know anything about the content. Thanks much!

But yes, I did love the old art a lot. Soft watercolors and the whites looked real good! Raichu's old art was one of my favorites. <3

pkmin3033

But I don't really have a preference...Sugimori art is definitely better than that awful Dream World artwork - the colours for that are just horribly bright - but I'd say it's on par with the new artwork...it's just a different style, and that's OK. Both have their pros and cons.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I also don't really have a preference. Although, I do think certain older Pokemon look better in the older artwork.
    Such as Caterpie:

Caterpie looks much better in the older art. But, I don't really have a huge preference for either the old or the newer art. Both have their own charms. I can definitely say that Sugimori art has improved a lot with time, though, as do all artists.

ChickenMom

a filthy casual.
    Years
  • I certainly do. They're very charming. I prefer this style of art because they seem to look less like a product and more like real animals that a field scientist encountered and sketched. I'm also biased because this is the art I grew up with. So much of the things that introduced me to pokemon used this artwork. I think it started to vanish around Ruby/Saphire? Not sure.

Last edited:

Prince_Enos~

Avid poet
    Years
    • Seen Feb 17, 2020
    Seeing as technology's advanced theres no going back. I wasn't into Pokemon because I was like 3.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    The old style was leagues ahead of the new one! it had so much character while the new style looks commercial and super sanitized. I don't get how people can feel that the new style brings pokemon to life more.

Back