• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who prefers the Japanese dub of Pokemon anime?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2011
    I've watched the vast majority of Pokemon episodes (Indigo league, Orange Islands, Jhoto league) in Japanese. And I've gotten so used to Japanese dubs that I find it hard to switch to the English dub. And the names of Pokemon in Japanese can be interesting. IMO, the Pokemon Japanese dubs can make good study material for Japanese language students.

Years
  • IMO, the Pokemon Japanese dubs can make good study material for Japanese language students.
    This is the main reason! lol :x

I sort of prefer watching the Japanese version because I want to get hold of all that the episodes hold before the ones who follow the English dub. >:D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    I'm pretty sure I've watched most of the series around a few times subbed, but I've only watched raw episodes from the DP sega onwards because of new episodes. Though I can't understand a lot of it, I do like it with the subs, and somewhat confortable knowing its the original and not really altered as much as the english dubs.

Also, just so you know - The japanese version isn't considered a dub, as it's the original voices. The american version is called "Dubbed" because it replaces the voices of the original motion picture to conform with the countrys language so viewers can understand what they are saying - but yeah, wouldn't call the japanese versions "dubs"

Last edited:

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
  • I like the Japanese dub better. I can handle the Narrator much better then the English version, the Jap voices are also better and I also like to compare the English to the Jap. The English makes the show look so babyish while the Jap doesn't show it as much as the English.

Tox

fight me
    Years
  • If I could speak/understand Japanese I'd probably enjoy that version better. I'm not big on subtitles and I actually really like the original 4Kids dub. Compared to the D/P and B/W episodes, I'd almost go for the Japanese versions.

Soul Eater

→ w e a p o n.
    Years
  • Watching Pokemon in Japanese is a very good way to pick up basic Japanese, which really is helpful to learning the language. xD Though, that reason aside, I saw the Japanese version first, but.. I really don't have a preference. I like both versions, and I'll watch both versions. Though, with Best Wishes, I do prefer the Japanese. If only because I like Dento, and Cilan is pretty different.

Zayin

#1 Team Rocket fan
    Years
  • I've been watching Pokemon in French and English until the end of the D/P series. Then I decided to watch B/W in Japanese to follow the episodes as soon as they came out. My favourite version in the Japanese because the content has not been altered and most voices are quite enjoyable. I then surprisingly prefer the French version because Ash and the main girl characters' voices are less annoying than their English counterparts.

Reiyu

Ghost Trainer
    Years
  • Japanese is way better i think Satoshi sounds better X3 and reading subs is my thing!

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Ai don't understand one bit of Japanise, so naturally, watch the English dub.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Ai don't understand one bit of Japanise, so naturally, watch the English dub.

I only watch the Japanese dub when I feel like going ahead of the English dub, but it's a rarity for me. So, I agree with Para on this. English dub for me.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Here and there, I catch clips of the Japanese edition "original" Pokemon anime, though it's a rarity. Just a few days ago, I saw clips involving Professor Ivy and Lorelei (GOSH SO HAWT, BOTH OF THEM :3).
    I liked Ivy's seemingly respectful tone of voice. Misty was a bit annoying to listen to with her Japanese voice, and Ash sounded like his English voice actor was speaking Japanese, fitting for a shonen anime or something. XD While I'm used to Professor Oak's (old/pre-Jimmy Zoppi) voice, the Japanese voice actor was quite amusing to listen to.

All in all, the Japanese version of the anime seems OK, though I prefer the English voices better. Regarding edits/censorship? Japanese all of the way. I'm fine with "Americanizing" items and stuff; but I tend to dislike when dialogue is dramatically altered, or kanji or music is removed. Thankfully, The Pokemon Company International seems to be doing a much better adaptation/rendition of the anime than 4Kids, preserving a good majority of the original content. They're going as far as to even bring back the Who's That Pokemon? segment. :) Just needs a little work on the theme songs and we'll be fine... >.<

Years
  • I very rarely watch it in Japanese. I don't speak Japanese and I'm not some stupid anime nerd who'll never go to Japan (Sorry if I sound hateful, I just don't like those people who are so crazy about Japan, because they think it's just like it is on anime and run around in cosplay) so I don't watch it in Japanese if it's available in English or if I do watch it in Japanese, it's to see a spoiler every now and then.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • I've never really had the urge to watch anything in Japanese, it doesn't appeal to me.

But when Pokemon Best Wishes came out I thought I'd give it a go (with English subtitles) and I actually enjoyed it.
    It got to the point where when the English Dubbed one came out, I actually couldn't watch it. So for now I am enjoying Black and White in Japanese.

Though don't think I'm going to turn into one of them freaks that pretend to be Japanese or whatever haha. I hate people that pretend to be things they're not.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • I like the english better because I can actualy understand what they're saying. When it comes to language (sorry to non english speakers) I would be happy if one day everyone spoke it so I wouldn't have wasted (I'm going into 4 years now) of spannish. I hate it and just having to learn it makes me hate learning languages. But if I could I'd swap out of spannish for Japanese ;). Sadly my school does not offer that course =(.

From what I hear Japanese is easyer to speak than write. Is this true?

Luckily the pokemon universe is manipulated so Ash doesn't have to go back to the school he never took to take more languages ;P

Years
    • Seen Jul 10, 2012
    PLEASE HELP ! WHERE CAN I WATCH ALL THE POKEMON SEASONS IN JAPANESE WITH ENGLISH SUB I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE IN JAPANESE :(

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • PLEASE HELP ! WHERE CAN I WATCH ALL THE POKEMON SEASONS IN JAPANESE WITH ENGLISH SUB I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWHERE IN JAPANESE :(
    As I said in PM you cannot ask where to find these sources. As well refrain from reviving topics that are several months old.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back