• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Who was the Hardest E4 Member to beat?

GreyVirgo

•=ØInfinityØ=•
Years
  • Who was the Hardest E4 Member to beat?

So I'm asking who was the hardest E4 member to beat?
    Mine is under this sentence.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

krabbypatz93

August Burns Red FTW
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Mar 19, 2014
    The hardest battles for me were Drake of the Hoenn Elite 4, and in Kanto, the toughest one for me to beat was Agatha. I agree with everyone else, that Gengar of hers is a behemoth.

Dreg

Done after the GT.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 11, 2016
    As I remember playing it the first time around, Glacia gave me a lot of problems. I don't know why, but the rest of the E4 were somewhat easy compared to Glacia.

Years
  • I honestly couldn't tell you why, but I always had difficulty trying to beat Lorelei on FireRed. I didn't even have that problem with Glacia in R/S/E (I don't think I had trouble with any of the Hoenn Elite Four), so it might've just been bad luck I had against Lorelei.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Out of all the third-generation games, Drake was one of the toughest Elite Four members that I've ever faced. When playing Ruby for the first time, I was defeated by him quite easily six to seven times in a row. At that moment the only Pokémon I had were Blaziken, Swellow, Wailord, and Slaking, and they were all pretty well-trained. His Salamence was able to get through them without breaking a sweat, though. It was able to have them taken down quite easily. If I remember correctly, Fly, Flamethrower, Crunch, and Dragon Claw were the moves that Salamence had access to. With Fly, it was able to take out Blaziken in an instant, since Blaziken had two-time weakness to flying-type attacks. Swellow—Salamence was able to have it defeated with only two or three Crunch attacks. Slaking wasn't very hard to beat, as it liked to loaf around pretty often. Wailord was able to survive a few hits, but it was eventually taken down, too. Drake's Altaria was quite hard as well—its defensives stats were pretty high, which made me stall for an extremely long time. To finally defeat Drake, I had to get myself a lot of Full Restores. d:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • Been a while since I've last played through a third generation game, so trying hard to remember which E4 members I've been having trouble with. I definitely remember having huge trouble with Agatha after helping Lorelei on 4 island in FR/LG, but to be honest, the difficulty was raised a huge amount at that point, so they were all pretty hard after that. But yeah, Agatha has always been relatively hard for the fact that she, if I remember correctly, had some relatively bulky and speedy Ghost types, so my Alakazam would usually take some pretty critical hits, in case it didn't take them down in the first blow. The fact is, I'm not very diverse when it comes to choosing teams, so I would often have to rely on an Alakazam and a typically underleveled Sandslash to help in those battles, and well. They usually weren't that successful with her Gengars and Haunters.

As for the Hoenn E4, I seem to recall having quite some trouble with both Glacia and Phoebe. I don't know what it is with the Ghost type trainers, but I rarely ever use Dark or Ghost type Pokemon myself, so I wouldn't have Pokemon that were strong against them, and as such, her Pokemon weren't quite that easy to take out. She wasn't a complete threat, but the last time I played through R/S, I honestly had to rely on my Kyogre to help me through it all, but that was mostly because I was underleveled.

Glacia was honestly made less hard when I had both an Aggron and a Breloom to help me, but the final Walrein made it all hell. It was incredibly bulky, and had moves that were super effective against both of those, and as I often breeze through all of her other Pokemon, she'll usually have a bunch of Full Restores saved for just that Walrein, stalling the battle for such a long time, and draining out a lot of my PP. She was basically just the one who was there to wear me out for the final battle by stealing all of my revives, potions and PP, but sometimes critical hits would save my buttocks ;)

I honestly find both of the E4's to be hard, and am so happy that Surf is a thing, because it's saved me so many times when I've been against a typing which I didn't have a Pokemon which was strong against, and Surf is basically just a killer in those situations :p Long live Water types!

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2013
    Gotta say Drake due to the variety of dragon types with different moves to cover up most their weaknesses

AkameTheBulbasaur

Akame Marukawa of Iyotono
    Years
  • I found Lance extremely hard to beat on FireRed, as I had nothing with super effective moves that was anywhere near strong enough to beat his Dragonair/Dragonite. I used FireRed to transfer all the legendaries to my Pearl Version so I had a limited amount of options. On LeafGreen, I was smart and used Articuno (Aichiya) and Lance was easy. By the time I played through LeafGreen, it was a year later and I was more experienced, so the Elite Four was not very hard.

Emerald Version I had gotten used, and since it had a level 70 something Sceptile and and level 70 something Rayquaza, I didn't erase the save file. I found the first run through with the Elite Four somewhat difficult because the other Pokemon on my team (Two Xatus, Alvin and Amelia and a Sealio named Rocco) were only about levels 35-40.
    Many revives were used during that run. I found Glacia to be deadly because both Rayquaza (Dakota) and Sceptile (Gabon) were weak to ice. *shudder* It wasn't fun. :( I made it through though.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2020
    I found most of the Gen III E4 and champions easy. The one sort-of exception was Steven. I remember the first time I ever beat Sapphire it turned into a stall match between my Swampert and his Cradily and I got really scared because I was running out of battery and I was in a restaurant.

Memoric

Real Eyes
    Years
  • For Emerald, the hardest E4 member for me was Drake. The teams I make, for some odd reason, lack a good counter to Dragon types. Sure, I have a Flygon (usually) with Dragonbreath; the enemy has the same and, heck, Dragon Claw. My strategy for him is just to power through with neutral moves.

For FireRed, the hardest was Lance. Again, I have no good counters for his Dragon-types. In my last playthrough, my own dragon, Dragonair, doesn't even have a Dragon-type move. So let's just say, I won using some very unorthodox maneuvers (Leech Seed Exeggutor + Flying Aerodactyl).

Years
  • Definitely Drake. I always manage to, with varying amounts of ease, beat the first three members of the E4 but when I get to Drake with limited amount of revives and full restores left to use, I am in trouble. The 2 Pokemon that really cause damage are his Kingdra and also for some reason his Flygon, the others aren't particularly tricky to deal with. I think the reasoning behind Flygon being hard to defeat is because I generally don't have any moves that are very effective against it and so it is hard for me to cause more damage on it than it does to me. Kingdra is just a pain because of it's attacks. I know Drake uses Dragon Dance on some of his other Pokemon, but gosh it is the most annoying with Kingdra. It's such a struggle to beat Kingdra and I have to rely on putting it to sleep or paralyzing it to defeat it.

Back