• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who's your favourite Rival?

Who's your favourite rival?

• Total voters
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Barry of course! I love how your character and his connect throughout the story and the fact that he's always rushing around and fining you is pretty funny. Plus his team becomes rather awesome and the fact that you get to double battle with him is even cooler! I make sure to always allow him to end up with an Empoleon though since in my mind, that is his one and only partner Pokémon. x]

Haseyo

쏘쿨
    Years
    Gary/Blue, of course. He had a mission, and he completed it. Not only defeated the E4, but became a part of it. He was the true rival - your final trainer battle of the game.

Barry was pretty chill, and Cheren was cool. I never considered Bianca a rival, more of a helper like May / Brendan.

The Legend of Zorra

La Leyenda de la Zorra
    Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    As far as the characters themselves go, I'm for Silver all the way. As mentioned above, he's got an
    interesting story & personality, awesome hair, AB blood type ... what more could you want?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 40
    • Seen Jun 4, 2014
    Hands-down, Gary Oak (Blue) will always be my favorite rival; no one else comes close to having what it takes to being a proper & challenging rival (well that has been a rival perhaps; I'd like to see Giovanni and Lance be possible rivals one day).

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Silver for me since he's always had the most challenging yet fun team to face as far as my experience with him goes although Barry comes at a very close second nowadays.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
    As far as the characters themselves go, I'm for Silver all the way. As mentioned above, he's got an
    interesting story & personality, awesome hair, AB blood type ... what more could you want?

My favorite is Silver, but for a completely different reason than you. I actually can't stand him in PokeAdventures, they changed his personality almost 100%. I loved him in the game, he was snarly, hateful, cocky, and he gave me the impression that he was very loud and couldn't keep his trap shut. (I tend to call him Kamon because I dislike PokeAdventures Silver so much.) Although I love the Masked Man, I hate that Silver had a past with him because in the manga he is so brooding and silent and cold. Silver was much more original and interesting in the game, I think. He was mysterious and cruel and mouthy and very alive.

Renegade1

#1 Noob!
    Years
    A Silver fan through and through.

But is Silver really Paul in ther remakes? I mean, it's been mentioned several times that Pauls older brother (name has gone missing from my brain for the moment) is the REAL Silver.

Nonetheless, when I talk about Silver, I mean Paul.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
    Between Green and Silver, the choice is hard...
    But I'll pick Silver, because 2nd gen forever ! Like Green, he's also the kind of guy that gets on your nerves in the game, but more slightly, he's more subtle. We know he hides something. And the fact that he's Giovanni's son makes him even more interesting than he already was !

Years
    Definitely Blue, because your journey comes full circle in your "final" battle against him as Champion, just like your journey began with his first challenge at the beginning of the game.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    I like silver because he actually tries to fight and he thinks hes amazing but then you beat him silly and break his spirit. Its mean but funny.

Sakura Rain

→Let's laugh at everything!
    Years
    OH GOD CONFLICT. Well, I love Green/Blue/Gary, but I really only like him as of G/S/C/HG/SS because let's face it, he was a jerk in R/B/Y/FR/LG. I like his Pokespe incarnation more too.

And then there's Pearl/Barry, who I absolutely adore, on account of him being absolutely spazz-tastic and being far too impatient and having a dad that is the exact same as him omg I love Palmer too, omg. I love his Pokespe incarnation too...

GAH. I'm going to have to go with Green, but just his G/S/C/HG/SS/Pokespe incarnations!

Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2012
    NO N?! I'd say Cheren, then. He felt a lot like an actual rival because in reality you were competing against him p often.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    Tough call between Blue and Silver for me. I liked them both equally, so it had to come down to something trivial like appearance, and Silver wins that for me. And I like his character in the Pokémon Adventures manga as well, although that's not entirely related.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    Silver has good character development, and he has an interesting role in the Johto games. Plus, he's a great character in the manga. Blue follows close behind. Both were great rivals, as they were actually rivals and not friends. I actually have to give a nod to Wally as well, though, because although he was a friend, he was very determined and persistent, and he changed from a weakling with a Ralts to a great trainer with a tough team.

Mystical Mermaid

Resident Mermaid
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Jul 22, 2012
    I have to go with Silver on this one. Of all the rivals, he undergoes the most character development from the time you meet him outside Elm's laboratory to the rematches at Pokemon League. He's much more of a sympathic character, given the backstory that had been hinted at in earlier generations and made official in HG/SS (I'm not going to spoil anything for those who haven't completed this event). Silver is also the only rival who seems to learn the lessons that the player character and Lance teach him through the school of hard knocks, and really takes them to heart. This is quite unlike Blue, who never seems to get over his grudge against Red, doesn't appear to learn to treat his Pokemon better, and has no real motivation other than outdoing his next door neighbor. This is especially comical when playing as Leaf in FR/LG, where his dialogue is largely unchanged and he comes off as hating you because he thinks girls have cooties, or he's pretending to hate Leaf to hide a crush on her. I just have a hard time with a boy saying "Smell ya later" to a girl his age.

Last edited:

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    Blue, all the way through here. I've always felt like Blue was the best rival of the all. I mean, he portrays what I see as a real rival. The only one that'd come close to challenging Blue as my favourite rival, though I feel like Silver was more of an enemy than an actualy rival, so I don't really feel like he counts. But yeah, there was more of an actual rivalry between your character and Blue, as you battled against each other a lot throughout the games, and at the end were battling for the title of champion, and I just felt like it was mainly just friendship with all the other rivals, and not much actual rivalry.

So most definitely Blue.

Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2012
    Its close between Blue and Silver, but i'll have to go with Blue because he had a more 'rivalry' feeling than Silver did. Just his personality and attitude made him more of a rival.

Back