• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Whose design did they ruin the most?

Whose redesign is the worst?

• May

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • Maxie

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Tabitha

Votes: 54 47.8%
  • Archie

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Shelly

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • Whose design did they ruin the most?

Whose design did they ruin the most?

To be really honest, this guy let himself go in ORAS.

Also, I am still weirded out that May looks reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaally young in ORAS compared to RSE. Maybe because of the clothes or the hair color, something isnt right imo.

Well May is ten, so perhaps this look fits her age better? Or are you saying she looks 8 or 6 0_o...

Years
  • One thing to keep in mind is that CoroCoro leaks on character design aren't exactly final. All footage in beta stage is, well, "beta." So if fans lash out negative feedback towards the model's designs, GameFreak may well improve them between now and the release of the games.
    Somebody Tweet GF to return Tablitha back to normal and make the old Protagonist costumes avaliable. Its the only hope I have left.
    I'm also a bit bugged by the fact that Brendan's hair is brown instead of being black like Norman's, but that's tiny compared to the other issues.
    Making her look younger feels more awkward playing as her now. I never liked the idea of making her look more immature and loli-like. It makes it hard to give a non-suspicious reason why to even like the character now. Now she just seems to be reduced to just that "cute-female" much like Skyla.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Somebody Tweet GF to return Tablitha back to normal and make the old Protagonist costumes avaliable. Its the only hope I have left.

Making her look younger feels more awkward playing as her now. I never liked the idea of making her look more immature and loli-like. It makes it hard to give a non-suspicious reason why to even like the character now. Now she just seems to be reduced to just that "cute-female" much like Skyla.

The best hope should they not change is for them to have customization with her old head pieces along with others.

Years
  • I have no complaints on the Aqua side, I'm going with the majority of this thread and saying that Tabitha's redesign is my least favourite, purely cause everyone else at least has some resemblance to their original characters whereas Tabitha is unrecognisable, and in my opinion the change in this case is not for the better. I'm also not loving May's bow BUT I can at least acknowledge she still looks like May haha, and I like her outfit which makes up for it :)

erisfrost

Rocket in Training!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 30, 2014
    I don't mind archie and maxie's redesigns. Actually, I am digging the more pirate look of Aqua. Still, they messed up tabitha... It feels as if he was just found on the street, and they gave him a position in magma just for comic relief. To me, he feels like some kind of intern, not a villain.

Shelly should have kept her red hair. It made her unique, and broke up the monotony of the blacks, browns, and blonds that normally pop up in games. Now, even though her redesign is interesting, she doesn't have the same feel as she did in the originals.

Maybe, they changed her hair color so she wouldn't be mistaken for flannery? Meh

I hate May's redesign. The ruffles at the bottom of the shirt just feel mismatched, and out of place. The bow should have remained a bandanna. Her face looks...odd... And, hopefully there will be an option to change her hair.

Brendan looks...interesting. I wish they would have made the shorts a little less baggy, to give it a more streamline look. But, meh. I am also not very fond of his shoes. The look on his face is a little odd... I also wish that they would have made his hair darker, or white.

But, like with some other characters from previous gens, I am sure they will grow on me eventually~

Katunei999

Katunei
    Years
  • When I first saw May, I was a mixture of 'Yes! We still have May!' and 'Dear God, what did they do to you?!'. At first glance I was horrified, mostly at that AWFUL hat. But actually, when you cover the hat up, she still looks like the same old May. Just slightly less badass and more girlish, which can be easily remedied with a wardrobe change. At least we can be grateful she wasn't replaced like poor Kris (which was a very real and frightening possibility). I just really hope I can buy her old bandana!

But I thought Archie's new design, while impressive, was still disappointing. It's probably just the nostalgia kicking in, but I preferred his older design. Everyone else is fine though; what a relief they kept Brendan and Steven the same!

Years
  • I don't mind archie and maxie's redesigns. Actually, I am digging the more pirate look of Aqua. Still, they messed up tabitha... It feels as if he was just found on the street, and they gave him a position in magma just for comic relief. To me, he feels like some kind of intern, not a villain.
    I agree with that, I do like the Pirate look to Aqua, it kind of makes sense with their obession with water to be shown through their cultural beliefs, where as Maxie is pretty well designed as well if they're going for the Geologist-Tectonic scientist look.

Shelly should have kept her red hair. It made her unique, and broke up the monotony of the blacks, browns, and blonds that normally pop up in games. Now, even though her redesign is interesting, she doesn't have the same feel as she did in the originals.
    Its probably the only thing I dont like about Shelly's design, her actual outfit looks pretty exotic but her black hair makes her look like a henchman. In all the old pokemon games the Admins always had bright coloured distinguishing hair colours for that reason.

I hate May's redesign. The ruffles at the bottom of the shirt just feel mismatched, and out of place. The bow should have remained a bandanna. Her face looks...odd... And, hopefully there will be an option to change her hair.
    Yup, Agreed. The frills and ruffles there were just to make her adorable instead of actually consistant with the game. She should have had a wetsuit as well.

Brendan looks...interesting. I wish they would have made the shorts a little less baggy, to give it a more streamline look. But, meh. I am also not very fond of his shoes. The look on his face is a little odd... I also wish that they would have made his hair darker, or white.
    Besides his derpy face, the only thing I dont like is how lumpy his oversized hat is now. It looks like a white bean-bag. Not to mention it clashes with the Jumpsuit. It should have been made smaller to atleast fit with the rest of the outfit maybe some goggles too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I mean I thought Tabitha was a joke when they named him Tabitha never mind his design back then or now lol. Shelly looked better in the past game too but she's another pretty minor character in the game so I don't care that much. Archie's suit thing is a little overkill but whatever and Maxie just looks very nerdtastic in those glasses, but once again none of these characters I care about too much so idc.

May looks a lot more innocent or even younger than she did before which I don't understand why, but it's still a cute character and I have no problem using her. And Steven is flawless as always.

Years
  • You guys do realize Tabitha's design isn't from the game. It's cartoon like. Same with May.

Until we get a Screen shot where we see May's face as a 3D Model(which I believe we've only seen the back of) I'll be fine. It may look like they ruined it, but those are cartoon like.not the 3D models
    Also, Mays design looks fine imo.

Also isn't that Tabitha in the new trailer at 1:47? He doesn't pook fat.

Then again I don't know the Admins names of Aqua and Magma

Last edited:

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • In the official artwork, I hated May and Maxie's redesigns. In the game footage released today, I don't mind them as much. Kind of strange how they don't seem to look the same to me in both forms...

LavenderTownGhost

Returning to Hoenn
    Years
  • As much as I hate what they did you Tabitha, I voted "other" for Brendan. I can't stand his new design, he looks five. Also, why is his hair brown now? :/ He looked so much better in R/S/E...hopefully I'll get used to it.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
    Years
  • But, Tabitha is a girl's name... Why would a man be named Tabitha? Moving on, the Hoenn map's artwork looks like something from Gen 1 artwork. Gen 3's original artwork of Hoenn looked fine and they could have worked from it and not made it look so real.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Tabitha. His clothing is a strange purple color, which not only looks bad but has no relevance to Magma. Can't remember what it was before, it would be nice for the OP to show images of all the characters in the poll so it would be quicker for us to decide which one we hate.

RandomDSdevel

The EXP-Grinding Trainer
    Years
  • I haven't decided yet because I haven't really had the chance to see the old and new designs side by side, which would help me a lot in figuring out which of RSE's character models/sprites were changed in a way that I don't like. Could somebody make a post with both the old and new designs side by side under each altered character's name?

Tabitha is easily the worst. I can't take him serious now,especially as Maxies right hand man. It's also a shame that Team Magma lost their amazing suits and pants. I like their pants in the original games.

Well, good that I'm going for AS anyway.

I don't mind Shelly's new design as much as other people here. Her original design was good and memorable, but her new design is equally as good in my opinion.

Maxie's redesign is weird and OOC. He looked cool before, but nerdy now. At least the new design captures the feeling of a scheming mastermind, like the original, albeit in a far less intimidating way.

I hate the fact that Brendan has brown hair and the face of a little kid now and that May is basically Shauna in disguise. Her face freaks me out and I'll miss the classic bandana. For these reasons I hope character customization returns for this game.

Other than that I love the redesigns, especially Team Aqua. They turned out better than I expected them to.

Years
  • I'd say Team Magma as a whole took a pretty big hit on the redesigns. I really don't like the weird brown striped socks & sleeves they have, and I don't see why they would completely change Tabitha. Courtney is the only one of the group I think looks alright, but her original design was better in my opinion. Team Aqua on the other-hand I think are a complete improvement, I really like all the new designs for them. Although it does make my idea to do a cosplay of Archie a lot more tricky all of a sudden >.<

Back