• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why do people hate the hoenn pokes so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainObvious

Ace Trainer
Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2011
    I really loved the set in Hoenn, actually. IMHO, I think that in terms of semi-pro and aesthetic features, everything went downhill starting from Sinnoh. I really hope they make some sort of Magma Ruby and Aqua Sapphire that really plunges more into the Magma/Aqua schindig, in where you get to play a mission in which you are a grunt for the respective teams.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    Hoenn was a change and honestly I like it, instead of towns to route to town you would have town to volcano to path to town, which had a more adventure feeling for the first time playing. Where else but Hoenn would you find a city, desert, village, forest, rainforest, swamp, volcano, ash field, and loads of water in the same region?

Hoenn pokes look too unfit to be from Hoenn to be honest, most Hoenn pokemon would look a lot better if it was from Johto. Fits the environment.

Years
  • Part of it is that people are still just upset from the fact that you can't import your old Kanto/Johto Pokemon into Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald.

Mainly, though, it's that the Pokemon started looking different, with thinner outlines and more complicated and esoteric designs. Also, there was a notable abundance of Water and Grass types in Hoenn.

Personally, I love Hoenn and all its creatures. It's my second favorite region behind Johto, and I mainly only like Johto because it was the setting of my first Pokemon game, and it was like two regions in one.

aspie3000

Unova Champion
    Years
  • I like the pokemon, I just don't like the region, If I could go back in time and do gen 3's region I would have gone the Tropical Islands route. I also would've put a rainforest in there. I liked the whole dive HM thing though, although I would have liked to see a detailed coral reef.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • I like the pokemon, I just don't like the region, If I could go back in time and do gen 3's region I would have gone the Tropical Islands route. I also would've put a rainforest in there. I liked the whole dive HM thing though, although I would have liked to see a detailed coral reef.

There is already a rainforest. Those routes that lead to Fortree are quite rainforest-y.

Years
  • Hoenn was overall the best region, and well... Unova was the worst- To me of course. I hope they'll make an Emerald remake next.

Who doesn't like Metagross, Salamence, Flygon?

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
    Years
  • I quiet like most of the Hoenn Pokemon. To be fair I love R/S/E but my only gripe with gen 3 (and beyond really) is that they made the story revolve around the legendary. In gen 1 it was awesome finding the legendary birds and mewtwo. Same with the legendaries in gen 2, granted, I know in crystal the story revolved a little more around suicune, but it was awesome finding the hidden legendaries.

Now it feels like they want to keep the idea of the player hunting hidden legendaries but also use more legendaries to further the story and it seems like the story based legendaries are forced upon us which makes them less legendary and more ... boss battle.

tl;dr: legendaries at the centre of the story ruined it.

Onyx_X

The Onyx Knight
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    I love Hoenn and it's Pokemon. The replay value is so much higher than the rest of the series. Nevermind your character not having a giant head....

I really loved the set in Hoenn, actually. IMHO, I think that in terms of semi-pro and aesthetic features, everything went downhill starting from Sinnoh. I really hope they make some sort of Magma Ruby and Aqua Sapphire that really plunges more into the Magma/Aqua schindig, in where you get to play a mission in which you are a grunt for the respective teams.

If this was in an official Nintendo game, I would vomit. Nintendo-made, mainstream Pokemon doesn't work with such elements.

Last edited:

merfyz

Pokemon Master!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2014
    Hoenn is fine, the new gen, gen 5 is the worst I MEAN THEY MADE A POKEMON THAT LOOKS LIKE A FRIDGE AND A ICECREAM CONE, AND AN AMBILICAL CORD LIKE WTF. I almost didn't buy white because the pokemon where so ******** ugly. Next year there will be a clock pokemon, and a HAT pokemon. They need to learn that gen 1 was the best, then on well gen 2 was good, but after that all the pokemon sucked. They make them look so ugly, and put way to much lame detail in it,, and the starters are okay but the last evolution of the starters are so bad.

Years
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    I don't hate them but I'm not a huge fan.

There were some I liked. They always make really stupid and ugly pokemon, but it seems the third generation is where they only wanted those kinds.
    I'm speaking for the majority. There were a number of great ones too but not as many as in the past two generations.

If you look at the first two generations, sure there's a lot of wasted space but there's a lot of interesting pokemon.. and in the third generation, it just seems to have started going downhill.

And sure enough it did IMO. The fourth + fifth generation are ridiculous. Even the b/w starters are horrible.

I just looked through the list of the pokemon in each. I liked maybe one of them in the 5th. There were a few in 4th I liked and more that I could see other people liking in general.. but there were plenty of horrible ones too. :(

Last edited:

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
    Years
  • I think people dislike them because they were from the generation where the series became like it is today. I believe they are the best ones since the original Kanto pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2011
    Personally, Hoenn is my favourite region but I could be a bit bias seeing as my first game was Sapphire :P But even when I did play RBY or GSC it just didn't compare... GSC I enjoyed 2nd best though

B3R

UK Number 1
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    Personally, Hoenn is my favourite region but I could be a bit bias seeing as my first game was Sapphire :P But even when I did play RBY or GSC it just didn't compare... GSC I enjoyed 2nd best though

Same here, mine was Ruby and I completely agree but I didn't like RBY because it seemed too basic and the Pikachu began to annoy me in Yellow.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I don't know but it's silly, the Hoenn Pokemon are great. The 3 Hoenn starters are the best starters of all IMO.

Let's not forget the likes of Deoxys, Salamence, Metagross, Regis, Latias, Latios and lots more too...

Years
  • To be honest... I think there are some pretty ugly ones in R/S/E. Though they are still my fav games cause I like the storyline and area itself.
    And even if there are some really ugly ones amoung them.. there are some really great ones as well.. several of my fav Pokémon are also from Hoenn. Anyways I try not to rate Pokémon by what gen they are from.. every gen has Pokémon I don't like. They just have various designs because people have different tastes. Some of the Pokémon I really like are disliked by others as well. If you don't like a Pokémon - don't use it!

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    From my take, Hoenn has my most favorite designs as well as the worst. But mainly, the Pokemon in this generation seemed more... viscous and more menacing than the last two. They introduced that tough Aggron, intimidating Salamence (no pun intended), and the beast of the skies Rayquaza. Sure the previous two had some some monstrous designs, but they remained ingrained as childish to me. Personally, a very few Pokemon in Hoenn would be called cute. But a majority of them are definitely take a more "scary" aspect. Also, I think they brought in more ugly vs beauty Pokemon. For example, Swampert's certainly not well-defined beauty, but Milotic and Gardevoir would be agreed to be opposites of the poor mudfish.

So, all in all, take a pick. I can see that many people were actually turned off of Pokemon because of R/S, but nothing's exactly perfect. It's like every generation adding a bit more, with Gen I being the simple base. Look further at the Pokemon designs in each generation, and you can see more detail put in place, bit by bit.

rstar095

Baby Seal Clubber
    Years
  • To me RSE had the most badass looking pokemon. Just compare them to the other games. They all seem darker and tougher, especially the legindaries

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back