• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do we ROM-hack?

Do you love hacking? Please be honest......

• Yeah, I sure do!

Votes: 598 91.7%
  • Nah... Not interested...

Votes: 39 6.0%
  • I Just Wanna Play Hacks

Votes: 15 2.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megiddo-san

Barium - Summer '12 Return?
Years
  • Well, I love anything that relates to videogames, I've grown with them, so it's not rare that I'd love to make my own videogames. So, I started with the basic: RPG Maker (yeah, I'm a RPG fan, in case you've forgotten), and I did my own stuff and I had lots of fun with it. That, till I tried to make a Pokémon related game, and that's when things didn't go so good (lots of effort were needed), and then a comment said that RPG games sucked, and hacks were better, so I, feeling insulted, decided to give hacks a try, and, what would you know? I find it a lot more entertaining! :D

Of course, things weren't as easy at first, but I've kept hacking for a few years now (with a big break between), and I think I'll keep hacking for a few more years now, that, till I get bored of Pokémon (I doubt I could hack anything else...)

So, basically, I hack because I love it! The feeling of watching the changes you make to the game is something indescribable! <3
    Me too. In fact, I want to get a degree in game design. I hack for fun and I have a lot of ideas.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Well i also hack because since i'm the youngest of three i don't have any decision in anything but when i hack, its like a god-like power that makes me do anything i want and create an ideal land

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2008
    for me its just a hobby becouse i finally can change games becouse it was my biggest dream when i was litle

wolverfrog

Working on a Hack
    Years
  • i try to hack, but i have no chance, i mean, i downloaded advance map, what the hell does $h20$ mean????lol, it's dead hard, the only thing i managed to do was change littleroot town into wolverfrogs town, and turn your mum into a groundon sprite. how do people make full games like this though?!?!?!? i think i'll just stick to playing other people's hacks from now on

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    i've been hacking a while now,
    basically the reason i hack is to make the game how i think it should be,
    not how nintendo thinks it should be,
    though rom hacking can sometimes be hard or just annoying (things acting buggy, not figuring out how things are stored in the rom, changes accidently not saved etc),
    it's good to see what you think it should be, become a reality and not just mixed up thoughts in your head

Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2024
    Why do I hack? Because I was born to hack, It makes us show our creative ways, learning new thing, having teamwork and much much more..! ROM hacking is like solving puzzles and discovering new things..! I don't care what they say..! If I want to hack? thats my busyness, and like they say NO MONKEY busyness..! you hear? NO MONKEY BUSYNESS..!

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2011
    keep playing the same old game sucks ...hacking can change a lot of things

Jack of Bl♠des

Former goderator
    Years
  • I hack because it lets me exploit concepts that Nintendo would never put in their stories. It may be because I'm a writer, but I like telling stories where the characters have depth and don't follow an obvious storyline thats been used wayyyy too much.

I also hack because it provides a decent little challenge. At first I thought I would just need to change the text and sprites in a game. Then I was introduced to mapping. Then scripting. And putting it all together. By then, I realized what I was getting myself into and now I'm willing to go through with all that effort, just to see that final product

(Plus I wanna become a game designer, and this is the most experience I can get, since my schedule in high school won't allow it).

Qwerty-117

Is looking for a VBScripter
    Years
  • i am interested in hacking, but i need someone to show me how to...
    If anyone is willing to help me, email me or PM me.

Hat?

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2008
    romhacks [dot] net

that's basic stuff right there
    or talk to me on msn (if you can) or PM me if you have trouble understanding something on that site right there

Last edited:

wahwa

Pokemon Revolution Creator
    Years
    • Seen Oct 19, 2008
    I like hacking when i seen a hack video of hacking pokemon and finally i start hacking.Also,Its fun hacking.

thetribemaster

Pokemon: Brink of Oblivion
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2009
    I hack pokemon because its fun and addicting, and gives me the thrill of being the only guy in my school (that I know) that can actually do it.

~Red

Meh. Hate me if you will.
    Years
  • I hack because of several reasons:

1. I've always wanted to make my own Pokemon game.
    2. I've always wanted to publish my ideas onto the internet.
    3. IT IS SO F-U-N TO HACK!!
    4. Because its legal and its nothing to do with 1337 H4XX0R

;)

Innocence

PC Lurker: I'm watching you...
    Years
  • I guess the only reason I hack is...it's fun! The rush you get from achieving something in a hack is great, and I'm moderately talented at it. I'm always ready to learn as well.
    The only turn-off is, there isn't always someone there to teach me. I'm a G/S/C hacker, that's what I like to do, but lately I've started a FR hack as a break from G/S/C hacking. The reason why, is that advance hacking is so easy!

But what I'm trying to say all in all is: Rom hacking is fun, the hacking community is great, and it's a great feeling learning something new.

Ikouze

♫希望の音♫
    Years
  • I think many people enjoy hacking, because of the fact that they can feel like they've created something, something significant, simply something...

I hack because once I've finished i feel like I've achieved something, I've created something that's my own and no-one else's, even though I'm using other people's hacking tools. That fact that I've created something for other people to enjoy just gives the feeling of fulfillment. Maybe it's just me, maybe not.

Missingno40

Glitch Prof./Master
    Years
    • Seen May 17, 2008
    I hack because I want to make a Pokemon games w/ stuff I want. It gets boring playing the stock games after a while.

Kirlay

Newbie Hacker~
    Years
    • Seen Nov 3, 2010
    I always wanted to make up my OWN pokemon story. When I found AdvanceMap, I was soo happy. Now I've got AdvanceText, so I can actually make it a story! ^-^

I also do it cause I'm just bored, and its funner then just spamming gameshark codes.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • I like hacking. It is fun.

(Yeah, very boring answer.)

Edit:
    I found my REAl reason to hack.
    I see all those people hacking, and destinedjagold's hacks, and I am INSPIRED by those people.
    I want to make my own hack, you know.

(A STUPID answer this time, but this comes from deep down in my heart... =.=")

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back