• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks?

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
  • The only things I disliked about Gen V are the Dream World and Entralink. It's nice being able to get a Pokemon that can't be found before E4, but the mini games are really boring. I know that it's made for kids, but it doesn't even look like it's made for the same age as the main games. It looks like it's made for 3 year olds. I don't really have a problem with Entralink, but I wish it was Wi-Fi based and not Wireless.

I had no other problems with the game. Only Unova Pokemon until Post Game was okay to me. It was kinda refreshing just being able to play with the new Pokemon. If I want to play with older Pokemon, I'll play an older game. It would be bad of course if they excluded them from the whole game. Being able to catch older Pokemon after E4 and via Dream World is fine with me.

I can't see why people are complaining about the post game. There are new Routes to explore, new (old) Pokemon to see and catch, have rematches with Cheren and Bell, fight Cynthia and the sages etc. Gen III only had the Battle Frontier and Gen I didn't have anything at all. Just the Mewtwo challenge.

Loonie

Mischievous Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 3, 2012
    My Reasons hmm.. the pokemon from the original pokemon are much more cooler then black and white and those that are in the game are more like fakemons.... and also Soulsilver and Heartgold are two great games . but i was disappointed when black and white was released i prefer heartgold or soulsilver then pokemon black or white

Years
  • The only things I disliked about Gen V are the Dream World and Entralink. It's nice being able to get a Pokemon that can't be found before E4, but the mini games are really boring. I know that it's made for kids, but it doesn't even look like it's made for the same age as the main games. It looks like it's made for 3 year olds. I don't really have a problem with Entralink, but I wish it was Wi-Fi based and not Wireless.
    If I'm not wrong, you can access Entralink without WiFi connection, because when you wake up your pokemon, the data is already downloaded into your game pak. Plus, you don't have to connect to Nintendo WiFi server to get to entralink, so WiFi is not needed.

Edited In:
    By the way, the mini games are definitely not made for 3 year olds. Sky race involves well developed hand eye coordination, try to get every single one (bet you've never achieved it. Neither have I though). Wailmer game also involves a lot of hand eye coordination, try getting a 30 ball streak. The Sableye gem game does not only require good reaction, but also precision. Blow out the candles game requires some decent analytic skills, try going on a long winning streak instead of spending a lot of time thinking. Scoop the ice cream game also requires analytic skills in planning which berry you should use, which ice cream you should put and where should you put them. The frozen treat sweep also involves a lot of analytic skills and hand eye coordination. I agree that the mini games may seem simple, but if you keep trying to beat your score, you'll find it quite challenging. But they're mini games after all. What kind of mini games do you expect TPC to give you? The only problem about DW is that they keep sending you to the same old stupid place again and again for several times in a row. I've finished catching all the pokemon I can get with less than 7000 dream points in the spooky manor, and some how TPC keeps trolling me by sending me there several times in a row until the 5 visit quota is up and then send me to somewhere like windswept sky and I don't get to meet any pokemon or get any items there.

Last edited:

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • All this hartred against BW is obviously due to the new Pokémon. To my mind, they look pretty bad, and I know that a lot of people that like or not Pokémon think the same. Some 5G lovers will say that the problem come from the players' difficulty to appropriate new Pokémons, but the 4G Pokémon receive a way better welcome, so, the problem come from the 5G Pokémon themselves.
    Except this point, these games are really good. Maybe some feature are useless (Dream World...), but that's not enough not to like these games I guess. The Pokémon's design is a reason though. But anyway, we have to face up to the facts that we won't have good Pokémon anymore, the new ones will never be able to be up to the former ones.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Yeah I kinda agree with the above. I don't hear anyone really screaming praises of joy towards gen 4 Pokemon, and they say "they don't look like Pokemon" according to the thread dedicated to that. So yeah, I don't think it's specifically gen 5 and rather people don't like the change in the designs compared to the originals, so it's all kinda nostalgia based rather than a complete dislike.

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2013
    @Spinosaurus, i LIKE B/W kyruem because they are creative, I brought B/W 2 for 60$ and only because of the FUN. it`s about the strategies, the new characters and anime.... it`s about the new movies!! Think about it.... Why fight when we can play so much more PKMN?

My Reasons hmm.. the pokemon from the original pokemon are much more cooler then black and white and those that are in the game are more like fakemons.... and also Soulsilver and Heartgold are two great games . but i was disappointed when black and white was released i prefer heartgold or soulsilver then pokemon black or white

disagree... :/
    B/W is okay, and so is Ss/Hg.... but ALL the gens are right for me..

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • What is a "real Pokemon"? All 649 Pokemon are REAL Pokemon.

Would you like to compare? I can find you several Pokemon that look odd in every generation.

So, how are these any better than the ones in Gen 5? They aren't. They're all Pokemon. Just because they look different doesn't mean they don't look like a Pokemon.

And "didn't even try"? How about these?

These Pokemon were very simple, but the only reason people don't complain about them is because they came first.

How is this:

any more or less creative than this?:

Answer: they're not. Game Freak has to find ways to make new Pokemon stand out from older Pokemon, which is why the don't all look alike. Don't get me wrong, I grew up with the first Gen, but those are some of the most basic designs of them all. There is nothing wrong with any Gen 5 Pokemon. The Taoism theme with the Unova dragons was a great idea, so I don't know how anyone can say they "didn't try" with such a great concept.

And no, they didn't go overboard. They introduced 13 Legendary Pokemon with 143 regular Pokemon. In all, 47 Pokemon are Legendary while 602 are not. That is only 7.2% of all Pokemon.

Listen man, you probably wont agree with me anyway, but I will try to make my point clear anyway. You tell me the gen 1 pokemon you showed in your second row (muk, magneton ed) aren't creative at all. That may be true, but you miss the point.

It is not about creativity. I could also give a piece of bacon a laser and a ice cone on his head and call it creative. Would you like a bacon with a laser and an ice cone in pokemon? (I was hoping you will say no but I am actually starting to like the idea now. ;p)

Creativity is no issue at all. Something doesn't have to be creative to be a succes. Charizard is just a red dragon, not very creative or something. But if you take a look at the strange fire pokemon you posted (emboar) or something, the only thing I can think of it looks like is a sad clown. I think it's design is horrible. It is childish, doesn't look like anything and is just too strange, even for a pokemon. It just doesn't look right for me. (and I quote FOR ME) (that means it is an opinion ;p)

Those new pokemon may be so creative as hell, but they just don't look like anything at all. Compare the way pokemon developed with the anime. AT first, things looked normal (at least normal in the terms of pocket monsters which you could put in tiny little balls) . Charizard is not very creative, he's just a red dragon. Ash is not very creative, he's just a 10 year old boy. brock is not very creative, his outfit is fairly normal. misty is not very creative, pikachu is not very creative and so on and so on and so on. They were just normal people with normal pokemon which looked alot like their animal counterparts.

Did we have a problem with it back then? NO. And now all of the sudde, with the new generations, everything has to be creative, weird looking and strange? Why's that? Are the pokemon you all loved since you were a child suddenly not good enough anymore because they put a heart shaped nose on a gentically modified zubat? Is a magneton suddenly not good enough because they set a clown on fire and called it an Emboar? Creativity might be good, to an extent. But if you make things too creative, nobody will be able to fell connected to it anymore. It is just like abstract art. It might be supercreative, but I don't feel connected with it. It feels hollow. It is just like the pokemon. The new pokemon just feel too distant for me. They don't feel like real pokemon anymore.

Please don't get me wrong, but since this generation came out, you guys all start to talk about things which are wrong about the older generations while you guys all loved them in the past. Suddenly, if you still like the old generations, you are sad and way too nostalgic. That is utter nonsence. I liked the new things in B and W, but I just don't like the pokemon. That is my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm sad or nostalgic, that means I have my own preferences. The old pokemon are the 'real' pokemon for me. The new pokemon (with some exceptions) are just hollow shells in comparison to the older ones. Not every new pokemon, they still got it in them, (the legendaries as an example are very well made) but this generation just doesn't work for me. (maybe if B and W 2 come out, if I put more time in the game the acceptance might come.)

I hope you guys realize this is just an opinion of mine. You don't have to agree (what you guys probably don't do anyway) but keep in mind that this is the way I think about it and that it is not 'fact based'

Last edited:
    Years
  • Listen man, you probably wont agree with me anyway, but I will try to make my point clear anyway. You tell me the gen 1 pokemon you showed in your second row (muk, magneton ed) aren't creative at all. That may be true, but you miss the point.

It is not about creativity. I could also give a piece of bacon a laser and a ice cone on his head and call it creative. Would you like a bacon with a laser and an ice cone in pokemon? (I was hoping you will say no but I am actually starting to like the idea now. ;p)

Creativity is no issue at all. Something doesn't have to be creative to be a succes. Charizard is just a red dragon, not very creative or something. But if you take a look at the strange fire pokemon you posted (emboar) or something, the only thing I can think of it looks like is a sad clown. I think it's design is horrible. It is childish, doesn't look like anything and is just too strange, even for a pokemon. It just doesn't look right for me. (and I quote FOR ME) (that means it is an opinion ;p)

Those new pokemon may be so creative as hell, but they just don't look like anything at all. Compare the way pokemon developed with the anime. AT first, things looked normal (at least normal in the terms of pocket monsters which you could put in tiny little balls) . Charizard is not very creative, he's just a red dragon. Ash is not very creative, he's just a 10 year old boy. brock is not very creative, his outfit is fairly normal. misty is not very creative, pikachu is not very creative and so on and so on and so on. They were just normal people with normal pokemon which looked alot like their animal counterparts.

Did we have a problem with it back then? NO. And now all of the sudde, with the new generations, everything has to be creative, weird looking and strange? Why's that? Are the pokemon you all loved since you were a child suddenly not good enough anymore because they put a heart shaped nose on a gentically modified zubat? Is a magneton suddenly not good enough because they set a clown on fire and called it an Emboar? Creativity might be good, to an extent. But if you make things too creative, nobody will be able to fell connected to it anymore. It is just like abstract art. It might be supercreative, but I don't feel connected with it. It feels hollow. It is just like the pokemon. The new pokemon just feel too distant for me. They don't feel like real pokemon anymore.

Please don't get me wrong, but since this generation came out, you guys all start to talk about things which are wrong about the older generations while you guys all loved them in the past. Suddenly, if you still like the old generations, you are sad and way too nostalgic. That is utter nonsence. I liked the new things in B and W, but I just don't like the pokemon. That is my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm sad or nostalgic, that means I have my own preferences. The old pokemon are the 'real' pokemon for me. The new pokemon (with some exceptions) are just hollow shells in comparison to the older ones. Not every new pokemon, they still got it in them, (the legendaries as an example are very well made) but this generation just doesn't work for me. (maybe if B and W 2 come out, if I put more time in the game the acceptance might come.)

I hope you guys realize this is just an opinion of mine. You don't have to agree (what you guys probably don't do anyway) but keep in mind that this is the way I think about it and that it is not 'fact based'
    Yea, I really enjoyed all the older pokemon generations and still love them, and I bet everyone here does. However, we don't (like you said) say bad things about the older generation. It's more of a "If you say this generation is bad, you are also condemning the previous generations because if you actually look at them closely they were also the same." We aren't condemning the older generations. New generation haters are the ones who are insulting their favourite gen 1, because the points they bring out can also be applied to the older generations.

I do agree that creativity is not the issue though. Pokemon is a very creative concept to start with, and you cannot doubt that there are very creative creatures created from back in gen 1. Who would have imagined a living creature with a plant on top of it? Or a simple fish that can evolve into giant blue worm that lives in a water and has fins with a giant mouth? Or a blue snake with wings at both sides of it's head? Or a black faced opera singer with thick lips? These creatures are definitely not natural like you imagine gen 1 to be, but they are certainly creative. It's not much different from the newer generation pokemons. As for the human characters, I'd say I would prefer the older generation people as they look more normal, although Ash's hair is still one of the world's biggest mysteries (how did he make them stick out like that?).

Liking the older generations do not make one nostalgic (I still worship Mew as the ultimate unchallenged best pokemon ever even though there are 649 pokemon now), but condemning the newer generations with points that can also be applied to older generations are what makes someone nostalgic.

I don't understand though: Why do people keep comparing Woobat with Zubat? Why not the bulbasaur line with the oddish line? Bulbasaur and oddish are both living creatures with grass on top of them, and their last evolution, Venusaur and Vileplume, are living creatures with a rafflesia on them. They have the same type as well, and both learn a lot of same moves. Woobat and Zubat however, are not even of the same type to start with. Why not compare the Mankey line to Woobat? The both of them are fluffy animals with a pig snout. And stop criticizing the heart shaped nose, because for your information, there is a species of bats in real life that have heart shaped noses. It's actually based on an animal that actually exists. How unnatural is that compared to a bat without eyes. Have you ever seen a bat without eyes in real life?

Years
  • Yea, I really enjoyed all the older pokemon generations and still love them, and I bet everyone here does. However, we don't (like you said) say bad things about the older generation. It's more of a "If you say this generation is bad, you are also condemning the previous generations because if you actually look at them closely they were also the same." We aren't condemning the older generations. New generation haters are the ones who are insulting their favourite gen 1, because the points they bring out can also be applied to the older generations.

I do agree that creativity is not the issue though. Pokemon is a very creative concept to start with, and you cannot doubt that there are very creative creatures created from back in gen 1. Who would have imagined a living creature with a plant on top of it? Or a simple fish that can evolve into giant blue worm that lives in a water and has fins with a giant mouth? Or a blue snake with wings at both sides of it's head? Or a black faced opera singer with thick lips? These creatures are definitely not natural like you imagine gen 1 to be, but they are certainly creative. It's not much different from the newer generation pokemons. As for the human characters, I'd say I would prefer the older generation people as they look more normal, although Ash's hair is still one of the world's biggest mysteries (how did he make them stick out like that?).

Liking the older generations do not make one nostalgic (I still worship Mew as the ultimate unchallenged best pokemon ever even though there are 649 pokemon now), but condemning the newer generations with points that can also be applied to older generations are what makes someone nostalgic.

I don't understand though: Why do people keep comparing Woobat with Zubat? Why not the bulbasaur line with the oddish line? Bulbasaur and oddish are both living creatures with grass on top of them, and their last evolution, Venusaur and Vileplume, are living creatures with a rafflesia on them. They have the same type as well, and both learn a lot of same moves. Woobat and Zubat however, are not even of the same type to start with. Why not compare the Mankey line to Woobat? The both of them are fluffy animals with a pig snout. And stop criticizing the heart shaped nose, because for your information, there is a species of bats in real life that have heart shaped noses. It's actually based on an animal that actually exists. How unnatural is that compared to a bat without eyes. Have you ever seen a bat without eyes in real life?

About the Woobat, the reason why I compere then to each other is first of all the name, and second, zubat has been the bat type pokemon in all pokemongames so far. Now suddenly, you have this woobat which has a lot of things in common, which takes over the role of a bat pokemon in the cave.

And about bulbasaur and oddish, bulbasaur never was the low level grass pokemon which you could find in the forests in the beginning. Bulbasaur and oddish always had another role in a game. Bulbasaur was a starter, while oddish was the low level grass pokemon. With zubat and woobat, zubat was always the bat pokemon untill woobat came along, now the woobat is the bat pokemon.

I know they are not the same type, and I also know there is a real bat with a heart shaped nose. (I might not be so stupid as you guys think I am ;p) but Woobat was the only pokemon I really knew the name and the appearance of, so that's the reason why I chose him for my posts. I will try to use other pokemons from now on if that makes you happier ^^

Years
  • About the Woobat, the reason why I compere then to each other is first of all the name, and second, zubat has been the bat type pokemon in all pokemongames so far. Now suddenly, you have this woobat which has a lot of things in common, which takes over the role of a bat pokemon in the cave.

And about bulbasaur and oddish, bulbasaur never was the low level grass pokemon which you could find in the forests in the beginning. Bulbasaur and oddish always had another role in a game. Bulbasaur was a starter, while oddish was the low level grass pokemon. With zubat and woobat, zubat was always the bat pokemon untill woobat came along, now the woobat is the bat pokemon.

I know they are not the same type, and I also know there is a real bat with a heart shaped nose. (I might not be so stupid as you guys think I am ;p) but Woobat was the only pokemon I really knew the name and the appearance of, so that's the reason why I chose him for my posts. I will try to use other pokemons from now on if that makes you happier ^^
    Apart from having the same species, a secondary type and having a bat at the end of their names, there is nothing else in common between the two pokemon. Why does no one else compare Drilbur with Diglett? The only difference is that their second evolution's type. The rest are all very similar, if not the same. And Diglett was the only mole pokemon before the appearance of Drilbur.

No, I didn't think you were stupid, because if you didn't know that such bats existed and complained about his nose, it just means you were just not told of it's existence, therefore it's rational for you to think a heart shaped nose bat is stupid. But the fact that you knew that such bats exist and yet complain about the heart shaped nose, I really don't know what to say.

Bulbasaur and oddish have a lot in common too. Straight from the character design concept to the type, attacks and all. The only difference is the role in the game. And that is only 1 difference.

I'm not really that fond of the Woobat line actually. What irks me is not the Woobat line being criticized and compared to the Zubat line despite their differences. I'm more irked at the quality (or the lack of it) of negative views on the new generation. Most of them are baseless and lame excuses to why BW is terrible. So far, the only good one (and probably the best one ever) I've heard is about the character designs being more and more out of the norm.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Apart from having the same species, a secondary type and having a bat at the end of their names, there is nothing else in common between the two pokemon. Why does no one else compare Drilbur with Diglett? The only difference is that their second evolution's type. The rest are all very similar, if not the same. And Diglett was the only mole pokemon before the appearance of Drilbur.
    I stopped reading there to reply to that. Here are sprites of Drilbur and Diglett.

I'd say that's pretty self-explanatory, but here goes:

1. Drilbur walks. Diglett burrows in the ground.
    2. Drilbur has metal claws. Diglett doesn't.
    3. Drilbur evolves into a partial Steel type. Diglett stays only Ground type.
    4. Drilbur evolves twice. Diglett evolves once.

In my eyes, Drilbur is the better Pokémon. Excadrill is badass.

Cyclone

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    Why do you think Black and White has recieved so many bad remarks as oppose to the other main series games?

Is it because the pokemon seem much more fake than the others?
    Is it because the of lack of post-game?

Personally, even though i stayed with Pokemon since the original 151, I think there is room for change, technology is changing drastically around us. Black and White in my mind are some the best pokemon games i've played.

Everyone and anyone, put your opinions here.

Sorry about the late reply.

I personally never played Pokemon Black or White, although I heard complaints from people in Youtube such as:

"I hate this."
    "The new Pokemon look like Digimon."
    "Who wants to play it?"
    "The old games are so much better."

Of course, these aren't my views. The only people who seem to play it are (Very) young kids.

I also saw comments like this:

"Gameplay comes first, not graphics!"

Well, people say Pokemon had lost it's popularity after time, but at least kids still play it.

Hope this is helpful.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    Listen man, you probably wont agree with me anyway, but I will try to make my point clear anyway. You tell me the gen 1 pokemon you showed in your second row (muk, magneton ed) aren't creative at all. That may be true, but you miss the point.

No I didn't, and I didn't say Muk or Magneton were bad designs, I was comparing them to the Pokemon that the other person said were "lazy" and "lackluster".

People say "Living gears? That's stupid!" yet they forget Magnemite and Magenton from Gen 1 being living magnets.

Or "They didn't even try to be creative with Gen 5!" yet Gen 1 had the living Pokeball Voltorb. And as much as I like Charizard, it's just a fire breathing dragon at the end of the day. (Not saying it isn't creative, but compared to newer Pokemon like Haxorus, it just seems less creative. But Charizard is still one of my favorite Pokemon.)

Creativity is no issue at all. Something doesn't have to be creative to be a succes. Charizard is just a red dragon, not very creative or something. But if you take a look at the strange fire pokemon you posted (emboar) or something, the only thing I can think of it looks like is a sad clown.

A clown? Don't see it, especially when it's stomping around in its sprite animation. Nor do I see anything that says "sad". Perhaps looking up the inspiration for Emboar should come before criticizing it.

Bulbapedia:
    "Emboar is based on the soldier of Romance of the Three Kingdoms.[1] It and its pre-evolutions, as stated by Ken Sugimori, were designed in a Chinese style. Because of its Chinese style, it may be based on Zhu Bajie, a pig demon from the Chinese tale Journey to the West. Infernape is also based on another character from the novel, Sun Wukong, and has a similar design as well as the same typing. It seems to also take inspirations of a pig or boar in a professional wrestler's or possibly a lucha libre's attire. The swirled pattern that surrounds its abdomen is visually similar to the patterns on ding or ancient Greek pottery."

So now you know a little of why it looks the way it does, besides just being a boar with flames.

I think it's design is horrible. It is childish, doesn't look like anything and is just too strange, even for a pokemon. It just doesn't look right for me. (and I quote FOR ME) (that means it is an opinion ;p)

Again, you should research a Pokemon before you criticize it. And childish? What exactly about Emboar is childish? (I realize these are just your opinions, but if you dislike something and call it horrible, you should really explain why you believe that.)

Those new pokemon may be so creative as hell, but they just don't look like anything at all.

How can they not look like "anything"? What does that mean? Are you saying there is a limit on what a Pokemon can look like?

Compare the way pokemon developed with the anime. AT first, things looked normal (at least normal in the terms of pocket monsters which you could put in tiny little balls) . Charizard is not very creative, he's just a red dragon. Ash is not very creative, he's just a 10 year old boy. brock is not very creative, his outfit is fairly normal. misty is not very creative, pikachu is not very creative and so on and so on and so on. They were just normal people with normal pokemon which looked alot like their animal counterparts.

Not really. It's anime. None of them look that "normal", nor do the Pokemon look more like animals than the new ones do. Serperior is just as much of a snake as Blastoise is of a turtle.

Besides, the anime is based on the games, not the other way around. Not really sure what point you are trying to make here. So Pokemon should just look basically like a real animal with "upgrades"? You can't just keep turning animals into Pokemon without adding something to make them different than previous Pokemon.

Did we have a problem with it back then? NO.

Because we only had 1 Generation of Pokemon. Only 151, not 649. You had nothing previous to compare it too.

And now all of the sudde, with the new generations, everything has to be creative, weird looking and strange? Why's that?

"Weird looking" and "strange" are strictly opinion, and easily apply to Gen 1 as well. Exeggcute and Exeggutor are certainly strange. "Weird looking" and "strange" is something every Pokemon is to an extent.

Plus, Game Freak can't just do the same thing time and time again. They have to try new ideas and come up with more Pokemon from more creative ideas. That's just business really. Without better ideas, Game Freak goes out of business and Pokemon ends.

Are the pokemon you all loved since you were a child suddenly not good enough anymore because they put a heart shaped nose on a gentically modified zubat?

No. Woobat is not a Zubat. 2 different Pokemon with different movesets and evolution lines. Just because they are both bats doesn't mean anything. Charizard and Dragonite are both very similar dragons, but no one complains about them. (and they're both from Gen 1!)

Is a magneton suddenly not good enough because they set a clown on fire and called it an Emboar?

Ok, this comparison is just wrong. Magneton and Emboar are NOTHING alike. And no, Klinklang doesn't make Magneton less important, nor does Emboar make Charizard less important. Why anyone would think that is beyond me.

Creativity might be good, to an extent. But if you make things too creative, nobody will be able to fell connected to it anymore.

What? More creativity is bad? Makes no sense. I've played the games since the 90's and have never felt that way. Besides, Game Freak still designs their Pokemon to fit in with "the look" they've given all their Pokemon.

It is just like abstract art. It might be supercreative, but I don't feel connected with it. It feels hollow. It is just like the pokemon. The new pokemon just feel too distant for me. They don't feel like real pokemon anymore.

You appear to be putting a limit on what a Pokemon can be or look like. That's like saying "Game Freak should just make generic Pokemon like Gen 1 again". Creativity is not a bad thing, it keeps things from being boring.

Please don't get me wrong, but since this generation came out, you guys all start to talk about things which are wrong about the older generations while you guys all loved them in the past. Suddenly, if you still like the old generations, you are sad and way too nostalgic. That is utter nonsence.

I love all 5 Generations. All I'm doing is showing people that the same things they say like "Ice cream Pokemon? That's stupid! That's food, not a Pokemon!" even though we had Exeggcute and Exeggutor (eggs and a pineapple) in Gen 1. See? People are unfairly accusing Gen 5 of having things that makes them suck or "not Pokemon" when Gen 1 had these things as well, but they refuse to acknowledge it and say "Nope, Vanillite sucks, Exeggcute is a REAL Pokemon!" yet they just said a food Pokemon is a dumb idea.

And no, I'm not overly nostalgic, in fact, that is what I'm trying to stop from happening. People just automatically say "Gen 1 is best! There are only 151 real Pokemon. The rest are crap!" THAT is nostalgia at its worst.

I liked the new things in B and W, but I just don't like the pokemon. That is my opinion. That doesn't mean I'm sad or nostalgic, that means I have my own preferences. The old pokemon are the 'real' pokemon for me.

You don't have to like the Pokemon, but to say they suck or are "lackluster" as has been use, is just wrong and requires explaining. But yes, part of it is nostalgia, saying that the original Pokemon are the "real" ones is very much a nostalgic statement.

The new pokemon (with some exceptions) are just hollow shells in comparison to the older ones.

Many of Gen 5's Pokemon were meant to be very similar to Gen 1's Pokemon. (Like Machop and Timburr, Magnemite and Klink, Sawk & Throh and Hitmonlee & Hitmonchan) It was part of the "reboot" that Black and White was supposed to be, which is why in the games, you only see new Pokemon, just like in Gen 1. But the new Pokemon are also still very different from the older ones, which still makes the old one relevant.

Not every new pokemon, they still got it in them, (the legendaries as an example are very well made) but this generation just doesn't work for me. (maybe if B and W 2 come out, if I put more time in the game the acceptance might come.)

Yes, usually, the more you see a Pokemon and understand it, you will grow to accept it. That's how Pokemon works. You generally have 3-4 years to get use to new Pokemon before a new Generation comes out and you have more new Pokemon to learn about.

Yes, you are totally free to have opinions. But like I said before, you should really look up the inspirations for these Pokemon before you decide they are uncreative. Reshiram and Zekrom aren't just 2 dragons, they are based on the whole Taoism relation, which introduced Kyurem, and introduced the first ever time 2 Pokemon merge bodies in-game. All we want people (not just you, but everyone) to do is give the new Pokemon a chance before just deciding they suck.

Deokishisu

Mr. Magius
    Years
  • Just because the ideas behind the Pokemon were creative, doesn't mean that those ideas translated well into a good looking Pokemon.

For example, Magnemite is not just magnets put together. They took the idea of a Pokemon with magnets, gave it a body and other details and then put the magnets on it. Kling is quite literally a gear... with a face. Surely anyone can see that the Magnemite and Kling lines had a similar concept, but the Magnemite line was more creative. Are Magnemite and Magneton simple? Yes. But they work. Their concept was translated well. Kling, and many of the other Gen 5 Pokemon were not so lucky.

Pokemon like Ditto, Exeggcute, and Charizard LOOK right because their concepts translated well into Pokemon. Yes, voicerocker, many of the Gen 5 Pokemon were a product of copying the original 150 for the reboot. Were their concepts translated as well? Sawk and Throh are red and blue people with karate uniforms on. Could you say they are more creative or more original than Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan? Their concepts translated incredibly well. Sawk and Throh fell short (though, unlike most of their Gen 5 brethren, they have good names). Zubat and Golbat may be simple, but Woobat and Swoobat look much more like composites of wings, a puff ball, and a heart nose than anything you'd see flying around. Their Kanto cousins look much more natural. Again, another similar concept that fell short in Gen 5.

Emboar looks very, shall we say, awkward and goofy if compared to the earlier fire starters. The fact that it was based off of a Chinese legend doesn't mean that that translated well into a Pokemon either, obviously.

I'd say this generation was all about (mostly) okay concepts that fell flat. Nintendo thought that rebooting with new Pokemon with Kanto-ish concepts was a great idea, but they failed to take the care to translate those concepts into their Pokemon.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I really hate having to do this but this thread ALSO is starting to be a full on discussion about the Pokemon designs in gen 5 versus previous ones. So if you guys could just let this one be a little less Pokemon orientated, and let the thread for that thrive (this thread right here) I will love you guys. While a few posts are okay it's getting a little further than that and it would be quite awesome if you all just quoted the posts and discussed in the thread for that since this is getting a little into personal opinions whereas this thread is for an overall "why others hate it".

Just please don't run away from B/W forever and just stay in that thread for the uncreative gen 5 Pokemon discussion. :3 However feel free to continue discussing why the games received bad remarks just... as an overall view.

Years
  • I think the main reason others dislike these games is that they're opposed to change. Having a pokemon game where the region is far away, the pokemon are all different, and the general feeling of the game is more plot oriented instead of adventure/explore everywhere you can oriented. While I like all of these (although, I grew to love them rather than enjoying it right away) many people cling to the past, hug their favorite pokemon tight to their chest and let nostalgia guide them. (not saying there weren't SOME flaws and that all people who make a bad remark about pokemon are nostalgia fueled genwunners or whatever, but I mean, come on now...) If these pokemon games had been the first, none of the major complaints would really exist, I think.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Apart from nostalgia, It sounds like people just really like to hate. Reading this thread, I can tell people are looking for reasons to hate it. Some of the responces were obviosly pondered over for several minutes, and writen simply to continue the argument, whether the argument makes sence anymore or not. Many of the posters have came out posting things that directly contradict what they posted earlier.

Years
  • I think the main reason others dislike these games is that they're opposed to change. Having a pokemon game where the region is far away, the pokemon are all different, and the general feeling of the game is more plot oriented instead of adventure/explore everywhere you can oriented. While I like all of these (although, I grew to love them rather than enjoying it right away) many people cling to the past, hug their favorite pokemon tight to their chest and let nostalgia guide them. (not saying there weren't SOME flaws and that all people who make a bad remark about pokemon are nostalgia fueled genwunners or whatever, but I mean, come on now...) If these pokemon games had been the first, none of the major complaints would really exist, I think.

Listen, I do not like these games alot, like you could have guessed because my post. But it seems that you guys just don't get it. I am not opposed to change, but change can be good or bad and that is what you guys are missing. As a wild example, if your country is a democracy (I am assuming it is. ;p) , and it suddenly becomes a dicatoriate where people randomly get murdered and slaughtered, would you like it? If I have to believe you people who are defending this game, I apperently must like it. Because it is change, and the people who say, wait wait wait, this is not what we want are suddenly nostalgic losers who need to do something with their lives. This may be an extreme example, but seriously, take a look at all the posts you defenders come up with. Alot of them end with: people who don't like this game are way too fed up with nostalgia and are a bit sad. Even the first reaction on this topic ends with that. (Which I actually find pretty offensive, that poster seriously had no reason to say that everyone who dislikes this game is sad and is fooling themselves. I think this is a bold accusation to make because first of all he didn't even know what the motives are of the people who dislike this game, and secondly, it just seems like he's trying to say there is only one option. Liking the game. If you do not liked it, you somehow automatically did not give it a chance, or you are fooling yourself... Seriously?)

Why can't you guys just accept that I just don't like those pokemon and characters? I only posted my first post here so you guys could know why I didn't like this game, and suddenly I and all the other guys who just don't like this game are nostalgic losers who are opposed to change? Can't people just have their preferences? I like RTS and RPG games as an example, while my brother only likes FPS and TPS games. I don't go saying to him that he HAS to like this game, otherwise he is not open to change and he is just fooling himself because he certainly didn't give AoE a chance because he MUST find it awesome if he did. Again, you might say it has nothing to do with it, but actually it has. You are forcing people to like things, and if they don´t they fall of the boat. That´s pretty strange isn´t it?

Just like I said in my example about democracy, change can come in good ways, or in bad ways. I think the new pokemon designs are a bad change, they try to look like something, or show they have a background and a interesting story (like emboar) but they just fail to resemble it for me. That is just my reason why I don't like these pokemon. I am not showing this as a fact, but as an opinion. You guys wanted to know why I think B and W might receive bad remarks? Here's my answer.

I also think the characters are a bad change. Just take a look at the characters you can choose from. I always play as a boy in a pokemon game, but this time I didn't even want to because they boy looked like he got hair growing out of his golf cap... :P Team plasma had some cool motives, but looked really, really rubbish. The white uniform of their grunts somewhat reminds me of nuns in the catholic church :P Why can't we just have a bada** guy at the top of a team like Giovanni or Archie, they at least looked like bad people. I also really prefer the normal cap guy from soul silver over the hair out of the cap guy. Those goofy people really destroy the immersion for me. Which is also a pretty big letdown for me. Immersion is very important, and if that fails you just can't really connect with your game and enjoy playing it. Atleast I can't. If I don't feel connected with the characters and animals (pokemon) in a game, I don't like it.

Furthermore, I DO like the changes of the unova region. I like the seasons, I can't say very much about the story because I have not finished it yet, but there are also good things about black and white. But the main point of any pokemon game are the pokemon of course, and quite frankly I do not like them, so that is just my biggest issue with the game. But the main point is that I DO like things about the game. It is not all about ranting and raving. They did a pretty good job making this game, and I still think pokemon has a bright future. Just because B and W are the first pokemon games ever that I don't like, doesn't make me a Gen V hater and a guy who is opposed to change. I am just putting up a list here of things I didn't really like about the game, just like the original poster asked.

I am not wanting to wage an all out war between the defenders of the game and the 'attackers', but seriously guys, you should stop labelling everyone who doesn't like this game as someone who is too nostalgic to like changes and is therefore a sad person. I liked alot of the changes, but I just don't like the pokemon and the characters, and that alone is gamebreaking for me. There is nothing more to it. I am looking forward to B and W 2, and maybe I will finish that game completely, but we will see about that when they come out.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Listen, I do not like these games alot, like you could have guessed because my post. But it seems that you guys just don't get it. I am not opposed to change, but change can be good or bad and that is what you guys are missing. As a wild example, if your country is a democracy (I am assuming it is. ;p) , and it suddenly becomes a dicatoriate where people randomly get murdered and slaughtered, would you like it? If I have to believe you people who are defending this game, I apperently must like it. Because it is change, and the people who say, wait wait wait, this is not what we want are suddenly nostalgic losers who need to do something with their lives. This may be an extreme example, but seriously, take a look at all the posts you defenders come up with. Alot of them end with: people who don't like this game are way too fed up with nostalgia and are a bit sad. Even the first reaction on this topic ends with that. (Which I actually find pretty offensive, that poster seriously had no reason to say that everyone who dislikes this game is sad and is fooling themselves. I think this is a bold accusation to make because first of all he didn't even know what the motives are of the people who dislike this game, and secondly, it just seems like he's trying to say there is only one option. Liking the game. If you do not liked it, you somehow automatically did not give it a chance, or you are fooling yourself... Seriously?)

Why can't you guys just accept that I just don't like those pokemon and characters? I only posted my first post here so you guys could know why I didn't like this game, and suddenly I and all the other guys who just don't like this game are nostalgic losers who are opposed to change? Can't people just have their preferences? I like RTS and RPG games as an example, while my brother only likes FPS and TPS games. I don't go saying to him that he HAS to like this game, otherwise he is not open to change and he is just fooling himself because he certainly didn't give AoE a chance because he MUST find it awesome if he did. Again, you might say it has nothing to do with it, but actually it has. You are forcing people to like things, and if they don´t they fall of the boat. That´s pretty strange isn´t it?

Just like I said in my example about democracy, change can come in good ways, or in bad ways. I think the new pokemon designs are a bad change, they try to look like something, or show they have a background and a interesting story (like emboar) but they just fail to resemble it for me. That is just my reason why I don't like these pokemon. I am not showing this as a fact, but as an opinion. You guys wanted to know why I think B and W might receive bad remarks? Here's my answer.

I also think the characters are a bad change. Just take a look at the characters you can choose from. I always play as a boy in a pokemon game, but this time I didn't even want to because they boy looked like he got hair growing out of his golf cap... :P Team plasma had some cool motives, but looked really, really rubbish. The white uniform of their grunts somewhat reminds me of nuns in the catholic church :P Why can't we just have a bada** guy at the top of a team like Giovanni or Archie, they at least looked like bad people. I also really prefer the normal cap guy from soul silver over the hair out of the cap guy. Those goofy people really destroy the immersion for me. Which is also a pretty big letdown for me. Immersion is very important, and if that fails you just can't really connect with your game and enjoy playing it. Atleast I can't. If I don't feel connected with the characters and animals (pokemon) in a game, I don't like it.

Furthermore, I DO like the changes of the unova region. I like the seasons, I can't say very much about the story because I have not finished it yet, but there are also good things about black and white. But the main point of any pokemon game are the pokemon of course, and quite frankly I do not like them, so that is just my biggest issue with the game. But the main point is that I DO like things about the game. It is not all about ranting and raving. They did a pretty good job making this game, and I still think pokemon has a bright future. Just because B and W are the first pokemon games ever that I don't like, doesn't make me a Gen V hater and a guy who is opposed to change. I am just putting up a list here of things I didn't really like about the game, just like the original poster asked.

I am not wanting to wage an all out war between the defenders of the game and the 'attackers', but seriously guys, you should stop labelling everyone who doesn't like this game as someone who is too nostalgic to like changes and is therefore a sad person. I liked alot of the changes, but I just don't like the pokemon and the characters, and that alone is gamebreaking for me. There is nothing more to it. I am looking forward to B and W 2, and maybe I will finish that game completely, but we will see about that when they come out.
    If a democratic country suddenly turned into a murderous dictator country, it's a complete U-turn in governing system which doesn't have any similarities to the previous governing system at all, so if people don't like the new government, it's understandable since it's totally different from the old one and that any reasons they give cannot be used to describe the old democratic government. Like I said, apart from the weird new characters, are there any solid reasons you nostalgic people give out? Here are some baseless excuses your camp gives:
    1. Gen 5 pokemon don't look like natural animals. Klink and Vanillish aren't natural animals. Jynx, Magnemite and Ditto are all natural animals I guess. And we have bats without eyes in real life eh?
    2. Gen 5 pokemon designs are lacklustre, too simple and are not creative enough. Klinks is just a gear with eyes. Diglett, Ditto, Voltorb. Nuff said.
    3. (Since they can't say Gen 5 pokemon are lacklustre in design) Gen 5 pokemon are overly creative and spoils the simplicity of pokemon. Please make up your mind guys. But still, Gyarados, Kangaskhan, even Feraligatr and the 3 dogs from gen 2 (whom are still considered original pokemon) are quite complex and creative designs.
    4. Gen 5 pokemon are fake copies of their predecessors, their design is copied from the older generations, like Woobat is a fake Zubat. So a Kabutops is a fake Scyther eh? An Oddish is a fake Bulbasaur? A Clefairy is a fake Jigglypuff (I seriously though both of them were related when I started playing pokemon)?
    5. Gen 5 pokemon don't look like pokemon. Contradiction from the top. Again, please make up your minds.
    6. I mean they look like digimon more than they look like pokemon! Blastoise doesn't look like a digimon I guess? Golem? And why does Agumon remind me of a Charmander without flames.
    7. Gen 5 pokemon should not be food. Vanillish is an ice cream, not a pokemon. Eggs are also food. Plus people like eating Farfetch'ds as well, therefore indirectly turning it into food.
    8. Gen 5 pokemon are too girlish compared to previous generations. I think we've already solved this lol.
    9. Woobat is a lousy pokemon compared to Zubat. Why compare 2 different things to each other? They were not meant to be the same. If we had a star pokemon which has the psychic ground type like Lunatone and Solrock, I bet you people will go: This is a fake staryu!
    10. No pokemon out of the original 151 are real pokemon! This is obviously a nostalgic statement. It's like saying you will never have another girlfriend after your girl ditches you. It's called not moving on.

Then after all the above were proven wrong, comes the ultimate superpower excuse: Pokemon is very subjective. We like the older generation for no reason at all. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. O_o

Basically, with pokemon being the main reason why people dislike gen 5, it's very obvious that they can't accept new pokemon. They might accept change in other parts of the game, but not the pokemon because they can see these pokemon and actually nurture them and have grown attached to them over the years.

So now for the non-pokemon design related reasons (note that this is not a reply to the person I quoted above because he/she only talked about pokemon designs):
    1. Metagame is the same. Well what other metagame changes do you want? The basic rule is do not fix anything that is not broken. If they did a change in the already great metagame and it ended up being lousy, you'll be here criticizing their metagame change and saying they should have stuck to the old metagame.
    2. Auto run is disabled. How hard is pressing a B button? Haven't the previous generations trained you all enough to hold down the B button automatically? It's understandable if you all started from HGSS though.
    3. Lack of postgame. GSC and HGSS are the only game with an actual post game that is long enough to be the game itself. Since game freak has only made other regions available only for Johto, then you all should understand it's kind of a Johto exclusive feature, and taking it away and putting it into other games would make every pokemon game seem the same. Plus BW (as I pointed out many times) actually has a bigger post game than RSE and RBGY.
    4. There are no pokemon following you! I didn't see everyone complain about every game after Pokemon Yellow because there was no Pikachu following you.
    5. The people don't look like people! They look like weird cosplayers! Okay, point taken. There is nothing left to rebut as I totally agree. Maybe the Japanese might be able to relate to this one since they have professors with shocking orange hair and maid cafes.

By the way, speaking about the boy character in BW and HGSS, in reply to HenkieDePost, Do you notice that the boy character in BW is closer to Ash, while the boy in HGSS has a hairstyle that is totally impossible to style in real life? Try wearing a cap and have a fringe that sticks out so well. You'll just get a tuff of hair stuck flat on your forehead. Sometimes I just feel that you're unlucky in picking examples, because you always pick the wrong ones where there are other more solid examples to give. Nevermind, can't blame you because you just played a small part of the game. Glad that you are giving BW2 a chance.

Back