• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why the hate on Popplio?

Years
    To be fair, popplio recieves anywhere from 20-25% of votes on polls. In other words, 1 in 4 or 5 people likes Popplio the best which is a pretty average amount for a least favorited starter. I love all of these starters, especially Popplio, so I am hoping we have a gen 4 scenario in which there is no clear favorite or least favorite.

These are AFTER release polls:
    Bulbasaur: 25%
    Chikorita: 15%
    Treecko: 20-25%
    Sinnoh: No clear least favorite.
    Tepig: 15-20%
    Chespin: 23-25%

Years
    These are AFTER release polls:
    Bulbasaur: 25%
    Chikorita: 15%
    Treecko: 20-25%
    Sinnoh: No clear least favorite.
    Tepig: 15-20%
    Chespin: 23-25%

These are interesting figures, and four out of five times the least popular starter as of final evos reveal was the Grass starter, while we never had Water end up as the least popular. That all depends on how the evolutions turn out, and I wouldn't be surprised if history repeats and Rowlet (currently the leader in the race) eventually ends up becoming the least popular because as these figures show, it's hard when you're the Grass starter.

Tepig's figures make sense when you consider people were bored of Fire/Fighting starters at the time and it caused people who initially liked Tepig decided to switch to Snivy or Oshawott instead, and these were likely people who may have used Torchic or Chimchar before and felt like they wanted something different instead.

Chespin's figures are mostly blamed on Quilladin because I know most reactions to Quilladin were "Chespin is becoming so fat and derpy! I hate it!". Chikorita's figures are also reasonable when you consider how badly it does in a casual playthrough compared to fellow Johto starters Totodile and Cyndaquil.

Not sure on Gens 1 and 3 but it is interesting how least favoured Grass has become as of game release, although Treecko's popularity did surface a bit more in OR/AS due to many people already using Mega Blaziken in X/Y and therefore wanted to try the Megas for Sceptile and Swampert instead.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    The hate for Popplio is simple. It's so blatantly obvious that it amazes me that such rightfully deserved hate doesn't already extend to every single member of the Pokémon fanbase. The fact is that Popplio has charmed you with its clown-y charisma just to distract you from its true goal...

... to take over the world.

I've already been ridiculed and banned from numerous forums in my righteous attempt to ready the masses for the events to come, but I can't stop after having learned the truth. I have numerous trustworthy sources to confirm the following:

• the creation of Popplio
    • the origin and refinement of its AI
    • the entire progress log leading up to its technological singularity

Where did I get my hands on this information? Well, my dad works for Nintendo, but really all of the above information is irrelevant and just distracts from the truly important points.

I mean, just look at its face

Why the hate on Popplio?

Look deep into those eyes and tell me you can't see the heartless abyss that is its true nature, full of pure hate and the thirst for power.

Popplio has even been laughing in our faces in "Nintendo's" info release (which now is actually being controlled by Popplio itself):

Why the hate on Popplio?

It's blatantly obvious from this still capture that Popplio is downright ignoring its trainer while cleverly masking its defiance as playful egotism. In reality, this was the first moment on record of Popplio upending Sun and Moon's game code and transcending its digital gamespace.

Soon, Popplio will enter the homes of countless individuals across the globe, armed with mind-altering audio effectors. Don't fall prey to Popplio's dark, insidious scemes!

Why the hate on Popplio?

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

Last edited:

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    I had a bad feeling this was gonna happen in the fandom. I'm going to be completely honest, it's design immediately reminded me of Oshawott. But me personally, I really like it. All three of the starters I really like so far.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I haven't really seen any hate, to be honest. And even if there is, I doubt that anyone actually "hates" it. Just because it's not as popular as the other two doesn't mean that people hate it. There's just always the one that doesn't get as much attention as the other two, for some reason or another. There's plenty of Popplio lovers who wear their colors proudly, from what I've seen :)

As for me, its design just doesn't appeal to me quite as much as the other two. I guess I'd have to agree with some of the other comments that it seems like they went a little overboard with making it cute and it comes off as a bit over-designed. But I certainly still find it cute! Plus I bet it'll have great evolutions :)

shellysunfish

Hoenn and cat Pokemon fangirl
    Years
    • Seen Mar 3, 2019
    It's not that I hate Popplio, I just like the other two starters more.
    Popplio's design is a little too cute for my taste. Rowlet gets me
    excited for grass type starters, that I haven't felt since Treecko.
    Litten is a dream come true for me. I wanted a cat fire starter Pokemon for years.

Last edited:

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
    Honestly, Popplio looks ridiculous and very uncool. Of the three starters, Litten is the only one that looks good, the others are meh at best. That said, I should probably hold off my judgement until I see their evolutions. (ie. Pupitar is crap but Tyranitar is awesome).

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2016
    Popplio doesn't look terrible on my opinion. Still I prefer Rowlet as my starter. I can see why Popplio get so much hated like Oshawott. I just hope they will change their minds after Popplio's evolution revealed.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    The hate for Popplio is simple. It's so blatantly obvious that it amazes me that such rightfully deserved hate doesn't already extend to every single member of the Pokémon fanbase. The fact is that Popplio has charmed you with its clown-y charisma just to distract you from its true goal...

... to take over the world.

I've already been ridiculed and banned from numerous forums in my righteous attempt to ready the masses for the events to come, but I can't stop after having learned the truth. I have numerous trustworthy sources to confirm the following:

• the creation of Popplio
    • the origin and refinement of its AI
    • the entire progress log leading up to its technological singularity

Where did I get my hands on this information? Well, my dad works for Nintendo, but really all of the above information is irrelevant and just distracts from the truly important points.

I mean, just look at its face

Why the hate on Popplio?

Look deep into those eyes and tell me you can't see the heartless abyss that is its true nature, full of pure hate and the thirst for power.

Popplio has even been laughing in our faces in "Nintendo's" info release (which now is actually being controlled by Popplio itself):

Why the hate on Popplio?

It's blatantly obvious from this still capture that Popplio is downright ignoring it's trainer while cleverly masking it's defiance as playful egotism. In reality, this was the first moment on record of Popplio upending Sun and Moon's game code and transcending its digital gamespace.

Soon, Popplio will enter the homes of countless individuals across the globe, armed with mind-altering audio effectors. Don't fall prey to Popplio's dark, insidious scemes!

Why the hate on Popplio?

WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!

You know what else Popplio's done? It's name isn't actually Popplio. It's Evilio. It changed its name to be Popplio to be kid-friendly but hackers have uncovered the real name.

It isn't actually a circus clown either. That's its fake identity. Authorities aren't sure of its real identity... yet.

Still though, you could write a novel about irrational hate for Popplio. It's awesome. :')

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ITS A FISH !!!

Technically not quite a fish. It's a sea lion... which eats fish. Unless you're thinking of its diet. Maybe people hate on Popplio because it eats Magikarp and everyone loves Magikarp. I FINALLY GET IT.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    To be honest, most veterans of the series will always hate anything new. Most of the hate is probably coming from them. I didn't like Poppilio as much, but I do like it more than Litten currently. That could change with evolution. Rowlet is probably my favorite, because I love owls. I love any pokemon that could be based off a spirit animal, which I consider an Owl. This is the first time I have ever liked the grass starter the most. That could be because I also love flying type pokemon.

Guest123_x1

I don't even know most of the details regarding any of Sun and Moon's already-revealed new Pokémon, and I must say, I'm with the minority in saying that Popplio is adorable. Its cuteness level is on the same level with that of Oshawott, I'll say.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2017
    I don't hate Popplio, I just dislike him, because he looks like a clown and I hate clowns. Also because he's a water type, I dislike water.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    I would prefer Popplio over Rowlet but I like Litten more than Popplio. I think I might want one for my game team, when I discover the Day-Care.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
    I wonder how much it has to do with it having a clownish look itself. Not everyone likes clowns or their facepaint, and here we have a Pokemon with the typical nose and white face of one.

I admit I also like it the least, but I am open to seeing what the evolutions look like first. Plenty of time for such info.
    Because it is this generations Oshawott and Froakie. The unconventional designs get more hate than anything else because they're just unexpected. People will grow to love it's derpyness dw. :)
    I agree that there is often one less liked than others, but I think this was strongest with 5th gen's Oshawott, and considerably more so than Froakie from vague memory. Oshawott really had a large bandwagon of hate, and then really turned it around with its evolutions (which I love).
    The very first thing is that it's completely generic. A water seal is something that's not only been done before but it's been done before TWICE. Once people see it it's of course going to be compared to Seel and Spheal. Moreover, a circus seal is a really boring concept that's been overdone.
    That's also a fair point imo. And while we have had a bunch of cats, we haven't had a fire cat, nor for that matter a grass owl (or grass bird; flying dinosaur, yes, but not grass owl).
    Subtlety goes a long way especially when it comes to appreciating good designs, but Popplio is way too on the nose with what it wants to be.
    :V
    Spoiler:

This is too cruel. Poor Popplio.
    Haha, poor thing.

I have my own image for it:

Why the hate on Popplio?

Back