• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why was Pokemon Z skipped?

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    /shrugs. Intentional cliffhanger probably. You probably won't be satisfied with that answer, but unless anyone else has a better one, that's what we have to stick one. I don't think a whole entire game for the sake of explaining that tiny detail is necessary.
    But cliffhangers are meant to be resolved eventually. And the sundial isn't the only "cliffhanger" that could use resolution: the Couriway Railway, the rest of the power plant, Zygarde as everyone has said, and even some aspects from ORAS, such as Looker's amnesia could use some fleshing out. A big problem with these "cliffhangers" is they leave Kalos feeling like a region that's incomplete since there's so much you can see but can't actually get to. And third versions have fixed things like this: Platinum added the Distortion World for Giratina's subplot, and B2W2 added all-new towns, cities, and routes to Unova. A third version to XY could have very well enhanced the Kalos region as a whole--it's not like that hasn't happened before.

That's just poor storytelling in general, which was my biggest qualm with X/Y. A third game won't fix this, it'll just rehash the story in its entirety. Emerald followed this pattern, and so did Platinum to a degree. They just rehashed the story with the small exception of making the third legendary the forefront. If you want to go even farther, even B2W2 did this. It's not a surprise. If the story is a mess, a third game is going to build up on that mess. If the story was decent to begin with, a third game would make it better. The entire premise of X/Y's story was flawed to begin with, so I don't think a third game is going to fix this.
    Maybe you will disagree with me, but I feel if the characters had been given even just slightly more depth, it would have enhanced the overall story to an acceptable standard. And that could easily have been done in a third version--Platinum did this, and even added new characters (here's looking at you, Looker!) to add much-needed depth to the story. And it doesn't need to focus on "life vs. death" but rather bonds between people and extremism, which were hinted at via Mega Evolution and Lysandre's musings but not taken to their full potential. A little re-worked writing could have fixed these things, an argument I think numerous people would agree with.

tl;dr I understand people's frustrations with the many things X/Y and even ORAS could've improved. This doesn't mean that a Z version is somehow going to fix all of this, and I'd argue otherwise, if Pokemon gaming history is anything to go by.
    I disagree. It would take a very special talent to make a third version worse than the pair it's based on. Perhaps you don't like them, but I feel lots of people think games such as Platinum and B2W2 are outstanding because of the additions they brought, minor or major, to the original duo's plot, region, and content/features.

Going off of that, SM being all-new doesn't guarantee them to be any better than XY. Just because it's set in an all-new region doesn't automatically mean it's going to avoid falling victim to the same problems that plagued XY. If the entirety of gen 6 is anything to go by, SM may very well be just as underwhelming as XY. But a third version to XY could have easily been better than what we got in gen 6, even if it wasn't up to level of Platinum (or B2W2) in terms of "third version treatment."

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    @Rivvon You put it into better words than I could, the other things I forgot to add were the linear routes in Kalos and Looker's amnesia in ORAS. For the former, they could have pulled a BW2 with Kalos to make the region more enjoyable to explore. IMO, Kalos was very beautiful, but the routes were too linear and there wasn't nearly as much explorable nooks and crannies as there could have been.

I also agree that we shouldn't automatically assume that SM will be any better than all of this(although if we get multiple islands, that might fix the exploration bit). I'm hyped, but at the same time I'm being cautious about it. I do hope that Game Freak has learned their lessons and actually does put more effort into SM, but you can't really blame some of us for not being overly optimistic for the reasons that have been discussed. For the Zygarde issue, this is why that if there is a trio master/3rd Legendary to SM, I hope that they pull an ORAS and give us a post-game quest for it instead of just leaving it obsolete in a cave with no 3rd version/sequel to make it more interesting.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Except you're missing a crucial part of what I mentioned before many times in my posts: I don't believe there's a whole lot Gamefreak can do. You cannot compare X/Y to Platinum; Giratina's background as anti-matter was simple to expand on. Rivvon, how do you expand on a story as philosophical as Life and Death and the in-between? It doesn't seem you, WingsofBliss, or anyone else has elaborated on this, and this is a crucial detail. How do you tread on such dangerous territory without getting sued to the sky and back by super religious types and overly sensitive people? You and others make the point that "well, it was done before, why not now?", but things are different now, things can change; a third version doesn't have to be released and there doesn't have to be a third version or a s
    sequel at all. A third version to X/Y could make things better, or it could make things worse. You can lean on history for the former, but the chances are it'll probably be the latter.
    To me, Xerneas and Yveltal being the "life and death Pokémon" were in title only. Yes, life and death as a theme was brought up via AZ and his weapon/Floette, but that was about it. Lysandre's goal was to kill everyone on Earth. That in and of itself could be left as it is. What we needed were expansions on why he wanted to do so--because for all we know, everyone in Kalos is nice to us and resources aren't scarce. So what's got Lysandre so riled up that he thinks everyone needs to die for the world to be a better place? There can be loss that isn't related to death, which is what you're worried about them expanding upon--but there doesn't need to be more death. Life and death are already barely-used in the plot to begin with.

Zygarde's various formes could have given a new sort of approach to catching the Pokémon, breaking up the current monotony in how the main legendaries are obtained. And Zygarde's involvement doesn't have to be about life and death--Zygarde is the "Order Pokémon." It literally keeps Kalos in order. Lysandre tries to mess with Kalos with the ultimate weapon and Zygarde is awoken. That furthers the game even more from life versus death. Despite that being the foundation of AZ's subplot (if you could call it that) it's really a theme that isn't touched upon a lot compared to the ideas of bonds and loss. So I wouldn't worry about them "tiptoeing over delicate subject matter" when it comes to elaborating on Zygarde.

I would love a better storyline in X/Y, don't get me wrong! And the problem with this reasoning is that every third game in history (Crystal and Yellow are exceptions more or less) has always focused on some philosophical ties the third legendaries have between the former two main mascots. You say it doesn't have to, but it does, otherwise what's the point of making a third game if you're essentially telling the same story again? I feel like also, from a business standpoint, it wouldn't have much merit and people wouldn't buy a game they've bought before. Really, don't take my word for it--take a look at the sales figures yourself--X/Y is the lowest main selling game on that list, so while there are some that would love a third version for storytelling purposes, I feel like the bigger majority just wouldn't bother. If Z version had released, it would've probably been a disappointing (I assume by GF standards) ~4 million copies total.
    The thing is, Game Freak would have had to planned to not make a Pokémon Z without knowing how XY would sell. So XY selling poorly had nothing to do with Z's fate. If they were planning from the get-go to not make Z, they shouldn't have had it so lacking in numerous areas.

Don't get me wrong, I really loved third games as whole. I don't want my posts to be misinterpreted as me disliking them. My biggest problem is that there has to be a definitive enough reason otherwise GameFreak wouldn't bother if they're not going to make as much money off of it and if sales are going to be paltry. If you want to count on Pokemon gaming history, I already mentioned this in my earlier post (did you perhaps skip out on it?):

You say it takes very special talent to make a third game worse, however we haven't really had a (this is an extremely subjective argument but making a statement here for the sake of argumentative purposes): bad or terrible story in a Pokemon game in a long time or one with as many plotholes (for lack of a better term) or cliffhangers than X/Y. Do we really want to take that chance in case a third game does make things worse, or doesn't solve the cliffhangers you'd hope it would solve?
    To me, the plotholes and underdeveloped characters aren't necessarily easy fixes, but they're not so unsalvageable that some careful tweaks to the established story wouldn't help. That's my opinion, at least.

And to offer a counterargument: do you really want to take that chance that SM will not fall victim to the shortcomings of our last two sets of games in a row? Which has the better chance of succeeding? A third version that just needs to add to what's already there, or an all-new game where everything must be built from the ground-up? To be fair, considering how poorly ORAS was handled, they very well could handle Z just as bad! But my whole point is it doesn't bode well for SM, either.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Rivvon Greninja'd me to it, but you mean to tell me that exploring Zygarde's ability of maintaining the environment is more "darker and edgier" than an evil team who tried to commit genocide? Honestly, I'm shocked that XY didn't get any moral-related riticism over that part as it is. Also, I'm pretty sure Game Freak is more than capable of providing a Zygarde-centered story without going any darker than where they went with XY. Gen 5 proves that they are capable of providing a good story without going overboard, it's just a matter of their willingness to do so.

If the anime is anything to go by, Zygarde isn't in the middle of the "life and death" scenario that keeps being brought up, it maintains the environment. And honestly? The only ones who see the life and death mythology is the online community of the Pokemon fandom, not so much the majority which is the general target audience and their parents.

Why was Z skipped? I think it had less to do with the plot being "too dark" and more about Game Freak breaking the 3rd version cycle that they've had since Day 1. Masuda himself said that they are always wanting to surprise people and try different things, well? They succeeded in that giving us SM instead of Z.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Rivvon Greninja'd me to it, but you mean to tell me that exploring Zygarde's ability of maintaining the environment is more "darker and edgier" than an evil team who tried to commit genocide? Honestly, I'm shocked that XY didn't get any moral-related riticism over that part as it is. Also, I'm pretty sure Game Freak is more than capable of providing a Zygarde-centered story without going any darker than where they went with XY. Gen 5 proves that they are capable of providing a good story without going overboard, it's just a matter of their willingness to do so.

If the anime is anything to go by, Zygarde isn't in the middle of the "life and death" scenario that keeps being brought up, it maintains the environment. And honestly? The only ones who see the life and death mythology is the online community of the Pokemon fandom, not so much the majority which is the general target audience and their parents.

Why was Z skipped? I think it had less to do with the plot being "too dark" and more about Game Freak breaking the 3rd version cycle that they've had since Day 1. Masuda himself said that they are always wanting to surprise people and try different things, well? They succeeded in that giving us SM instead of Z.
    That Gen VI ended without a Z or X2Y2, and that Gen V ended with a B2W2 instead of a Grey/Gray, makes me curious as to how they'll surprise us now.
    Each third version differed slightly even with the mascots. Gen I- Got 2 (JP) or an anime inspired one (int). Gen II- A legendary who serves the first mascot of the generation. Gen III- a legendary stronger than the original pair, and who is also their trio master. Gen IV- a legendary with the same stat total as the original pair but with a new forme. Gen V- no third version, sequels instead. Mascot is the same mon but different formes that are also fusions. Gen VI- no third version or sequels with Zygarde as mascot.

I can't see how they'll surprise us from here other than Solgaleo and Lunaala being part of a Quad and us getting another pair of games with those two as mascots (which would differ from Gen V who's second pair had the same mascot as mentioned, and Japanese Gen I where Pikachu wasn't part of a Quad with Charizard, Venusaur, or Blastoise). Oh, and with those games possibly being prequels to contrast more with B2W2.

Years
    Why I think there was no Z version? They might just think it isn't really worth making a third version of the same thing anymore.

What I think we might be getting? Obviously Sun and Moon, but I think they will do something similar to the Delta episode we got in ORAS. That is really all we need, an extra post-game story showcasing Zygarde's new forms and whatever else they think might need telling.

My biggest hope would be for us to travel to Kalos at some point in Sun and Moon because I do feel like it isn't complete.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    They also finished Sinnoh story up before remaking the Johto based games. I wanted them to do a Z before OrAs to wrap up Kalos.
    I think that FrLg coming out so close to Emerald hurt both sets of games. And GF should've polished OrAs even more to add the BF.

That's very true. Sinnoh had already been wrapped up and fully-polished by the time HGSS came out, so those remakes really weren't taking any time or attention away from the gen's main games. (Not-so-coincidentally, HGSS themselves are also far more complete and polished than the other two remakes.)

Either way, though, this is yet another reason to abandon remakes in favor of VC re-releases. Outside of Gen 4 (which, as I said, mostly got lucky with the DS' long lifespan), all of the gens that had remakes of past games seemed to have this same issue. GF had to divide valuable time and resources between two different sets of games, leaving both the main games and the remakes somewhat unfinished and unpolished. More quantity for less quality, basically.

Combine that with the fact that remakes haven't even sold all that well, and there's just no good reason to continue making them. By abandoning remakes, maybe we'll start getting more gens like 2 and 5 and fewer like 3 and 6.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm not sure where you're getting at...? What I'm saying is that they probably never intended to make Z due to the sales of past third games, in addition to how X/Y sold. You put two and two together, and it doesn't take an expert businessman to know that the trend would spiral downward, so it is quite a solid prediction of Z's fate.
    Third versions always sell less, but there are reasons for that. Obviously there are no solid numbers for it, but think about how many people buy both copies of a duo of games. That's already a +1 in sales for every time that occurs. But you can't really do that with a third version. Then there are matters of system longevity (Crystal, B2W2 being released at the end of their system's lifespan), competition from other titles... Of course their sales will be less, they're counting only one game, not two. What matters is if the sales alleviate the production cost. Speaking of which, since the third versions are already mostly complete (due to the duo already containing most of the third game), the production costs are lower, so it isn't as crushing when the sales turn out to be lower, too.

I disagree. If you felt it had a poor story and many things that can be expanded on, that's fine. No reason to utilize resources and money to create the same thing for the sake of patching up plotholes. In the past this may have worked, but this isn't how Pokemon gaming used to be prior. From what the numbers tell me in sales, people aren't willing to shell out money as much to buy the same copy of Pokemon games that they had before. It's really as simple as that. It's safe to say that most people have realized that third games are basically glorified DLC at this point and you're paying ~$39.99 + tax for it.
    I don't quite understand; what exactly are you disagreeing with? You don't think XY should have had more content and a more refined story since they weren't planning on making Z?

I already did mention in this topic, however, that I'd be happy if the main duo of games had the extensive content and solidified plot that we've come to expect of third versions. I'd rather not, as you put it, spend $40 on glorified DLC. But since XY didn't deliver on that front, some people, myself included, would have liked for it to have some sort of redemption. And it's not just the plot that needs fixing--the region, the content, improving upon features they already have. Again, I'd rather the practice of "not-as-good main duo and enhanced third version a year or two later" be dropped entirely, but only if the main duo actually turns out with a good story and acceptable content. Otherwise you'd be spending $40 on a game with a poor narrative and not much content, which isn't much better.

That's fair. My opinion is that Kalos isn't worth the time anymore. It got its spot in the limelight, and...everything turned out to be a mess. The characters, the general construction of the plot, the evil team, the general pacing of it all...you'd have to scrap the entire plot of X/Y, re-do the characters whilst simultaneously trying to introduce some new enticing game mechanics (because every third version introduced some new game mechanics of some sort) to give people a reason to buy it in the first place. That just doesn't seem worth the time and effort.
    It's fine that that's your opinion. And there are definitely others who share it. But there are some who share my opinion, too, which is why we would have liked for a "Pokémon Z"--we think Kalos has enough potential for a game to redeem it.

There's no reason for me to view S/M in a poor light or as cynical as some people (apparently including yourself? Correct me if I'm wrong here) are doing. We are literally given no news about an evil team, no news about the roles of the two legendary Pokemon or the third accompanying legendary, no news regarding any sort of deeper lore in the region itself, no news regarding much of anything yet. To suddenly have such a low bar of expectations for a region which all of us are entirely uninformed of much of anything, especially considering the apparent amount of overhaul this region is getting, is a little presumptive, don't you think? Although certainly valid somewhat, but yeah.
    I'll try to keep this as brief as I can: for ORAS, I only wanted three things. Character customization, which I think was a poor choice to exclude but I can overlook it in the general sense because it was not featured in the original games. The Battle Frontier, which was originally in Emerald but a bit ambitious so I'll try to forget that it wasn't included. And Gym Leader rematches, another feature from Emerald. The Gym Leaders are all listed on the Trainer's Eye app, the app that tells you which Trainers can be challenged to a rematch and lets you know when they're ready. The Gym Leaders will never be ready. They cannot be re-challenged.

As presumptive as it may seem, until we get concrete proof that SM will offer more than XY/ORAS, I will not think they have the potential to be greater. You bet on horses based on their track record. Based on Pokémon's most recent track record, I will not be betting on it until I see solid proof that SM will be better than gen 6.

And if you acknowledge that Z would add what's already there, then Z would just add more plotholes into the existing ones, therefore not really solving the issue of character development, plotholes, among any other issues that X/Y had.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. It's okay if you feel that Z wouldn't fix what XY did wrong. But in my mind, I see it like this: XY had holes that needed to be filled. By adding into the holes, you fill them. That's why I would have liked to see a Pokémon Z.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Third versions always sell less, but there are reasons for that. Obviously there are no solid numbers for it, but think about how many people buy both copies of a duo of games. That's already a +1 in sales for every time that occurs. But you can't really do that with a third version. Then there are matters of system longevity (Crystal, B2W2 being released at the end of their system's lifespan), competition from other titles... Of course their sales will be less, they're counting only one game, not two. What matters is if the sales alleviate the production cost. Speaking of which, since the third versions are already mostly complete (due to the duo already containing most of the third game), the production costs are lower, so it isn't as crushing when the sales turn out to be lower, too.

I don't quite understand; what exactly are you disagreeing with? You don't think XY should have had more content and a more refined story since they weren't planning on making Z?

I already did mention in this topic, however, that I'd be happy if the main duo of games had the extensive content and solidified plot that we've come to expect of third versions. I'd rather not, as you put it, spend $40 on glorified DLC. But since XY didn't deliver on that front, some people, myself included, would have liked for it to have some sort of redemption. And it's not just the plot that needs fixing--the region, the content, improving upon features they already have. Again, I'd rather the practice of "not-as-good main duo and enhanced third version a year or two later" be dropped entirely, but only if the main duo actually turns out with a good story and acceptable content. Otherwise you'd be spending $40 on a game with a poor narrative and not much content, which isn't much better.

It's fine that that's your opinion. And there are definitely others who share it. But there are some who share my opinion, too, which is why we would have liked for a "Pokémon Z"--we think Kalos has enough potential for a game to redeem it.

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can: for ORAS, I only wanted three things. Character customization, which I think was a poor choice to exclude but I can overlook it in the general sense because it was not featured in the original games. The Battle Frontier, which was originally in Emerald but a bit ambitious so I'll try to forget that it wasn't included. And Gym Leader rematches, another feature from Emerald. The Gym Leaders are all listed on the Trainer's Eye app, the app that tells you which Trainers can be challenged to a rematch and lets you know when they're ready. The Gym Leaders will never be ready. They cannot be re-challenged.

As presumptive as it may seem, until we get concrete proof that SM will offer more than XY/ORAS, I will not think they have the potential to be greater. You bet on horses based on their track record. Based on Pokémon's most recent track record, I will not be betting on it until I see solid proof that SM will be better than gen 6.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. It's okay if you feel that Z wouldn't fix what XY did wrong. But in my mind, I see it like this: XY had holes that needed to be filled. By adding into the holes, you fill them. That's why I would have liked to see a Pokémon Z.
    Speaking of rematches and track record, we haven't had proper rematches with gym leaders since HgSs. B2W2 and XY had them but they were part of something else (PWT) or were kind of weak in that they had three mons against our 6 (XY). Funny thing is that HgSs also was the last one to have a BF. Plus those games also had a much missed feature which has yet to return (Pokemon following the PC).

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I'm unsure what you're confused about? I disagreed precisely with that specific quote that I mentioned. You mentioned:

In which case I was disagreeing, which was essentially saying that just because the story, characters, features, post-game etc were "lacking" is not an indicator to whether or not a third version should/shouldn't be released like this seems to be implying.
    Hmm, I meant that if Z was never intended to be made, XY ought to have been set to a higher standard. If you disagree, I concede that I have no way to change your mind about it.

And this is precisely what I'm worried about when it comes to Z! I'm concerned that Z would end up being the same poor narrative, not much more addition than what we've got in X/Y, which Is why I believe we shouldn't really take the risk with a third game. Don't get me wrong, like I said, I'm a fan of third games as a concept, and every third game/sequel that I've gotten has yet to disappoint, but the key word here is "yet". If you take a game filled with so many flaws like Kalos, is Z really going to fix all of those flaws, or is it going to create more flaws while barely doing much, if anything to address any plotholes/character development/region development/what have you?
    Couldn't this mindset be interpreted as just as cynically presumptive as the one which feels SM are going to fall victim to the problems of gen 6?

Perhaps this is where our disagreement lies. For you see, I get the implication that you see these games as one horse who has either outperformed or underperformed and base your opinion on the track record of that one horse alone. I, however, see things differently, and I see these games as different horses that cannot be compared to one another, because each horse has different potential. Does that make things clearer, now? One horse may have underperformed in your race to the satisfactory finish line, but it's a bit hasty to come to the conclusion that the same will apply to every single horse you ride.

To add on to this metaphor, I'm seeing each new generation as one horse; a third game is basically polishing up that horse and taking care of it and feeding it so it can outperform and do even better than it did previously. However, just because you take all of these precautions, doesn't mean you'll get he results you desire.
    To me, Pokémon games would be truly wondrous if they added on from each previous game. If they kept what was good and discarded or refined what was bad--not to just discard everything in favor of replacing it with little to nothing new. So to me, if each gen is represented by a different horse, that's a problem in and of itself. To me, it should be the same horse that should continue to grow and adapt and improve, not just be replaced completely whenever they visit another geographical location.

This is, of course, speaking mechanically. Narratively each game would need to be different. But I would liken that to getting the horse a new saddle or other such gear, perhaps.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I'm genuinely confused why fans are so eager to get a Z version rather than an entirely new game. Is Kalos so good that it needed to be rehashed and changed slightly...? I realise the argument is that Kalos felt unfinished, so a third version could help improve that... but why? Why not allow them to make a new game which can be far superior and without the limitations of Kalos? Definitely confuses me.

I can't speak for others, but I think for me, part of what threw me off about there being no Z game, was the fact that the anime is currently XY&Z, and has a huge Zygarde thing going on, and it's just sort of strange for the anime to be like "YEEAAHHH POKEMON Z, GET HYPE", but the games are like "eeeh, nah".

But for the games, they did sorta feel incomplete. At the same time, if the company feels like Z would've been a time waster, and Sun and Moon will be more fun, then I hope they're right.

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I'm honestly quite content with the anime having a different story than what appears in the games. It wouldn't be the first time they've done something like this. It doesn't always have to be connected, imo.
    That is true, and it is nice to see something new in the anime, but it was still pretty gutsy for them to tack "Z" into the name when everyone was screaming for a Z game, and didn't get it. Just goes to show you they're afraid of taking those kind of risks, though, I guess. The newer gens seem to be breaking the mold in a lot of ways, which is neat.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Once again I'm confused why anyone would be screaming for Z. I can definitely agree that X/Y felt a bit rushed and unfinished, but they're still fully fledged games and I'd rather see them work hard to improve the series as a whole rather than adding a few bits here and there to a currently existing game. There's only so much you can do with Z version whereas Sun & Moon gives them the chance to make something truly unique and exciting for fans new and old.

Well, Platinum was a pretty significant upgrade over DP, so it is possible for third versions to introduce a ton of new content and fix issues with the paired games.

However, I was really hoping for a sequel rather than a third version. XY left a lot of loose ends open that were just begging for the sequel treatment, and sequels can also add a ton of new stuff to get people hyped out. Look at GSC or B2W2, for example.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    Regardless of what's happened, I'm pretty confident that we'll be able to obtain Zygarde's other Formes somehow in Sun and Moon if they don't give us some sort of event for XY and ORAS. No matter how you slice it, you can't say that Zygarde's Formes were exclusively made for the anime, because it was given height and weight stats which are utterly useless in the anime. It's also featured in several side-games and the TCG. You also can't argue Spiky-eared Pichu and the Crystal Onyx because those are mere aesthetic changes as opposed to an all-out Forme change.

The only thing that's "anime-exclusive" for Zygarde is the Team Flare arc, they can easily make a different plot centered around Zygarde in the SM post-game that has nothing to do with Team Flare. They could make it related to whatever happens in the main story, like how the Delta Episode was indirectly related to what happened in the main story of ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Crystal Onix was not really aesthetic change and more like a mutation since it was not really affected by water and weak to fire.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    I thought this excerpt from the official website was kind of interesting:

https://www.pokemon.com/us/strategy/battling-can-be-as-easy-as-x-y-z/

"While you won't be able to use the new Zygarde Complete Forme in Pokemon OmegaRuby and Pokemon AlphaSapphire, Zygarde 50% Forme can learn some interesting moves,"

By interesting, I mean that it seems to insinuate that we'll be able to get the other Formes of Zygarde eventually, but just not in ORAS.

Years

Kurosaki

(「・ω・)「
    Years
    I thought it was less about them skipping it, and more about the fact that it wasn't supposed to exist in the first place. Originally I thought that was because of the focus shifting to Sun and Moon as entirely new games. Now after reading some of this thread, it would be interesting if Z was "skipped" because some of X&Y will carry over into Sun and Moon.

They've never done that before, but it would be neat to see the Zygarde thing carry over into the new games. I think there's a slim chance, but some type of continuation would be cool. o:

Lord_Sesshoumaru

Not interested.
    Years
    I'm speculating that the post-game content in S&M will have to do with Zygarde and Kalos in general, meaning we might get to go back to Kalos in S&M (just like how we went back to Kanto in G/S/C post-game).

I think that's the most plausible explanation as to why Pokemon Z was skipped.

WingsofBliss

Flies with the wind.
    Years
    It means absolutely nothing else than "you can't get Zygarde's other forms in OR/AS."
    Nothing is being insinuated at all.

So you're saying that we won't be able to obtain it at all in the future? I highly doubt that will be the case, because of the fact alone that the Formes outside of Cell and Core were given height and weight stats. Those stats are completely useless in the anime.

Back