• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why was Softboiled ever a TM? (Nonsense TMs/HMs)

Guest123_x1

Of the many TMs that each of the main series Pokémon games have, some offer moves that may be questionable to offer via a TM or even a HM.

What moves that were offered as TMs or HMs do you think made no sense to offer in that way?

I never understood why Softboiled was offered as a TM move in Generation I, given that Chansey was the only Pokémon besides Mew that could learn that move. Thankfully, Chansey (and Blissey) were able to learn Softboiled as a level-up move from Generation II onwards.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • TM37 in Gen 1 (Egg Bomb) is pretty much in the same boat. Only usable by Chansey, Exeggcute line, and Mew. I mean, Gen 1 in particular had a lot of weird move choices for TMs.

Water Gun felt rather pointless given that only a few pokemon (that early in the game) can actually make use of it, and Misty gives you the Bubblebeam TM not too long after finding it.

Dragon Rage is another TM that few pokemon could use, and most which learn it naturally through leveling up.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • ^ I find that Water Gun TM useful tbh. I usually would teach it to someone since I usually start with Charmander and getting through Mt. Moon without a Water or Grass type is painful. So for an early game thing, it's not bad.

Gen I had some gems though lbr. Teleport. That's hilarious. Honestly the best TM because so many Pokemon you wouldn't even think could learn it. Like Arcanine. That's so funny to me??? Like BRB GOTTA GET ON MY FIRE DOG TO TELEPORT BYE.

Years
  • I mean, TMs aren't for everyone. I guess they had to throw a few in there to make it seem like a bigger deal than it is. Some moves, like Snarl, seemed like a strange choice to me at the time. I didn't think too many Pokémon could utilize it. It is what it is I suppose. Can't go back in time and change it. I think it was just a "It doesn't look like much... throw in some useless ones that won't get used to make it look like so much more"

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Literally Flash was less useful even as HM since portion of game require less using Flash and other whole itself mixture of HM and TM

Fling as well is rather awful TM after tossing item to opponent, it pretty dead useless on the battle.
    Do people ever use Round it suited best on Multi Battle or Double and useless on single battles

AmetsuCAT

KITTY POWER!!
    Years
    • Age 24
    • UK
    • Seen Jun 6, 2023
    Yeah, Flash was a really annoying TM/HM for me, especially since I never seemed to have a Pokémon that could learn it when I needed it. I also never understood why Cut was a HM. I mean, they should at least make it useful in battle and deal a reasonable amount of damage. The fact it was also a normal type move didn't help it either.

Years
  • To me, Sky Drop and Quash. I remember 5th Gen overhauling the TM list a lot and there was lots of questionable new moves from the generation being included. Looking at Sky Drop and Quash in particular, they have very limited distribution (in fact, Quash couldn't even be learned by any 5th Gen Pokemon, the generation it debuted in!) meaning they definitely weren't worth their TM status.

I'm absolutely shocked they didn't get removed for 7th Gen's TM list, yet a good move like Dig gets replaced by the pathetic Leech Life.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I found it really cool Metronome was a TM back in the first generation. It's not useful in any way, but the move guarantees heaps of fun.

Back