• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    GOTY
    Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Splatoon ain't crap.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    Rocket League is loads of fun to play. Best free game I have gotten so far, Wish I could do the flying right though.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    I have Rocket League but I don't think I'll ever play it. I don't like soccer, and the days where I liked games involving driving sims are behind me.

But hold the phone!

Ty The Tasmanian Tiger 4 coming to Steam; original trilogy could follow

Brb teleporting myself back to 2005! Holyyyyy heck though, this is good! Set aside the worrying 2D platformer that is the 4th game, but if the original games actually come to Steam I would have a field day. I never got the chance to play the third game on a console since it never got released in Europe.

AaaAaAaaaaaAaaaaa. Made my day!

I thought Krome Studios had closed up shop though.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    I remember playing Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2 and having no idea what to do lol... It'd be fun to go back and see if I was better this time but my backlog is still pretty big :/

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I need advice. I really suck at video games. I've tried and tried and can't ever do anything. What's the easiest way to improve my skills where even really hard games will seem to be simple. I need a way that doesn't require me spending lots of money or playing with another person. And yes, I know practice makes perfect but I've spent all day playing doing it like this for years and I still suck. I want to be good enough to tackle any game and not have issues beating it.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I need advice. I really suck at video games. I've tried and tried and can't ever do anything. What's the eeriest way to improve my skills where even really hard games will seem to be simple. I need a way that doesn't require me spending lots of money or playing with another person. And yes, I know practice makes perfect but I've spent all day playing doing it like this for years and I still suck. I want to be good enough to tackle any game and not have issues beating it.
    You can't, it's impossible.

I've said this before but I don't say it enough: you can't be good (or bad) at games. You can have a lower or higher aptitude for them due to experience and understanding of gaming, game design, etc., but you can't be good at games as a medium. It just doesn't happen. Games are different, you can't just be good at all of them- and why would you want to be? Learning a game's quirks and mechanic, being challenged by the game (regardless of difficulty), and generally becoming better is a part of the fun.

So yeah, short answer is that you can't. But I will say that, in general, you shouldn't need to spend money to get good at a game, nor should you really need someone else for the same purpose. What game are you talking about, anyway?

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    You can't, it's impossible.

I've said this before but I don't say it enough: you can't be good (or bad) at games. You can have a lower or higher aptitude for them due to experience and understanding of gaming, game design, etc., but you can't be good at games as a medium. It just doesn't happen. Games are different, you can't just be good at all of them- and why would you want to be? Learning a game's quirks and mechanic, being challenged by the game (regardless of difficulty), and generally becoming better is a part of the fun.

So yeah, short answer is that you can't. But I will say that, in general, you shouldn't need to spend money to get good at a game, nor should you really need someone else for the same purpose. What game are you talking about, anyway?

Games in general. But the ones I have the most issues with are fighting games, sports games and those Sonic games. On Sonic I just can't run very fast on it like I see other people doing. I always either run into something, or run off a cliff.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    Games in general. But the ones I have the most issues with are fighting games, sports games and those Sonic games. On Sonic I just can't run very fast on it like I see other people doing. I always either run into something, or run off a cliff.
    Well, in the case of Fighting Games, they take time to learn, and you have to invest that to get good. It's as simple as that, really. If you enjoy it, investing that time will be less of a chore and more of an experience, and you'll get better, but if you go into it expecting to just be good...well, it's not gonna happen.

Sports games...I can't say, really. Play more and you'll get better. There aren't nearly as many semantics as there are with Fighting Games, so getting up to speed with them is easy. It's a lot of why they're good pick-up-and-play experiences: they're easy to learn and generally you won't be too far out of the other player's league.

As for Sonic, it seems to me that you're putting too much of a pedestal on how good you're supposed to be. Sonic has, from the very first game, been a game of "start and stop". Always. If people are flawlessly running from beginning to end without stopping, they probably practiced. This really doesn't seem much like a problem on your end, but similarly the Sonic games aren't particularly known for their being difficult. Just know that you shouldn't have to practice to play it.

Castaigne

欠 を 食べる
    Years
    • Age 30
    • NC
    • Seen Feb 27, 2016
    also for fighting games learning people's telegraphs is very important. I'm not a competitive player either and I really just want to mess around and have fun, but the people I know who play competitively will read your telegraphs all the time. People have a preferred way to play and figuring that out is a huge advantage.

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    Woah! I have improved a bit. Last time I played through Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories, PS3 version I had a hard time and struggled to beat it, but now I'm breezing through it.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Well from what I've seen of FFXIII it clearly isn't.

I still like that they're releasing it on mobile though, you can always just not use said option and it gives me hope for a re-release of FFIX eventually.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    So I read an article about Final Fantasy 7 iOS. Seems there's options to max out your stats for all your playable characters and disable random encounters so you can "enjoy the story". Isn't Final Fantasy supposed to be about actually playing a game? idk how they could screw that up.

That reminds me of the articles regarding the Narrative Mode for Mass Effect 3 three years ago. People were not happy about that thing.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    So I read an article about Final Fantasy 7 iOS. Seems there's options to max out your stats for all your playable characters and disable random encounters so you can "enjoy the story". Isn't Final Fantasy supposed to be about actually playing a game? idk how they could screw that up.
    Isn't that the principle of iOS ports?
    I remember 999 port removed puzzles.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
    I should mention that this isn't new to Final Fantasy VII. It was actually a feature in the PC release- if not the original, definitely the Steam one.

As for the subject, if you have the time, I'd recommend watching this 5-minute Extra Credits vid about extrinsic vs intrinsic rewards. It covers this specific subject pretty well:
    Spoiler:

As for what I think...well, I don't much see a problem with it. It's an option that doesn't really bait the player in any way. Another game that did something similar to this was Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. There were essentially three type of people who played that game: those who wanted it for the story and played the game as a means to an end, those who wanted to enjoy a Blazblu-esque experience and didn't even play the story, and the minority- those who wanted it for both. As a result, they included an Auto Mode, so the game would play itself for you so you could get back to the story. Due to their no-strings attached gameplay, battles in Ultimax's story were basically like turn-based battles. If you win, you can continue. If you lose, welp. And some people just wanted to continue the story of Persona 4/3.

And I don't see anything wrong with that. Paying a price for a pretty lengthy visual novel and wanting to support the devs by not watching LPs? Fine with me. Because there are so many different types of gamers and reasons people play a game that I can't really say much against a narrative mode, auto mode, or trainers. After all, there's no wrong way to play a game, and as long as you're enjoying yourself it's still doing its job.

Last edited:
    Years
    Would it be worth getting a digital copy of a pokemon game? My issue with digital is I can't clone at my own will since powersaves only work on physical games. And it'd be really inefficient to have others clone for me on their time.

Konekodemon

Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    On Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories for PS3, what Map Card should I use that will make enemies most likely to drop enemy cards?

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Tfw you're trying to actually dodge spoilers for once. MGSV reviews have landed. So far, so good, but so have spoilers which will probably only make me more confused if I read them. Brb, moving to the north pole for a week.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back