• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • YES, finally someone else who has played Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. That game as fun as knobs, I loved how they were able to make a great platformer even when restricted with the bongos controls.

How do you compare Tropical Freeze to Donkey Kong Country Returns for the Wii? Just asking because I'm playing Donkey Kong Country Returns right now and honestly, I think it's just meh.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Jungle Beat is fantastic.

Tropical Freeze edges out DKCR for me because of the better music and environmental & artistic design, but in terms of level design they're on par.

What are you not liking about it?

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • The plot mainly. I love the music and the artist approach with the integration of going in and out of the environment, but the actual story of the game is sub par at best. Enemies aren't really that exciting and the bosses are just mundane at best. I guess at the end of the day I just don't feel satisfied when I beat a boss, as I don't really see them as a villainous bunch. If they had done a better job with that aspect of the game, I think it could have been a top tier game.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I think it's highly unfair to judge the game based on the enemy designs. DKC (until Tropical Freeze) never had great bosses, and although the tikis aren't exactly as memorable as the Kremlings, they're easy to distinguish and are satisfying to jump on. (Mainly because Retro did wonderful in making sure there's feedback in doing so)

Returns is absolutely fantastic and one of the best platformer ever made. That said though, Tropical Freeze has better enemy designs, even better than Kremlings if you ask me. The bosses are EASILY the best in the series, and the music is on par with DKC2. It's THAT good.

The vikings actually feel like villains at the end of the day too, much more than the Kremlings who just stole bananas. Reaching the frozen DK Island in Tropical Freeze was depressing, but adventurous. The transitions from the feeling of taking revenge to melancholy was perfectly executed thanks to the wonderful environmental design and music. (The hints of the Snowmads/Viking theme in this track was PERFECT.)

Tropical Freeze had the best last world in any platformer ever. The vikings made such on impression on me, they stand as my favorite enemies in a platformer, all because of that one single world.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • It's not really that I'm being unfair per say, it's just a preference. I'd rather fight something that makes me feel meek in comparison. Fighting a bunch of animals that have been "hypnotized" just doesn't feel like a good plot to me is all. In Jungle Beat they made the Apes look evil and menacing, and the boss bottles were fun and exciting. Just in Donkey Kong Country Returns, it seemed a little too childish to me is all.

It's a good platformer, but I wouldn't say it's the best. When I think of great platformers I think of Super Meat Boy, Jet Set Radio, Castlevania for the NES, Limbo, Super Mario Bros 3, the Mega Man franchise, and many, many more. I would say it's unfair to classify one as the "best," but like we were discussing earlier - it's all about preference in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    So what I'm getting from you is that DKCR isn't one of the best platformers....because it's cartoonish? Then you go ahead and say Mario Bros 3 is one? (Castlevania, Jet Set and Mega Man aren't platformers, and Limbo is far from the best looooool)

What about things that actually matter in the genre? Platforming is my favorite genre, and I play platformers all the time, so to me your reasoning baffles me. Maybe you're playing platformers for the wrong reasons and not for the platforming itself, which is how you judge a platformer.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • No I'm not saying that the game is cartoonish, that doesn't have an effect on my view of the game (Wind Waker is very cartoonish and I absolutely love that game). All I was saying was when I fight a boss, I like them to be foreboding, and I like them to be a challenge, which Donkey Kong Country Returns doesn't do.

And I've already talked about how Donkey Kong Country Returns is a good platformer. Personally, I just don't see it as the best and I would have liked it to have taken more of an artistic boss approach like in Donkey Kong Jungle Beat. It's all about preference, and I prefer other platformers over this one because of this. I've played a lot of platformers myself, don't act like you're the only one. It's those experiences though that shape our views on a platformer and what we prefer when we play one, which is why our point of views are quite different.

Note: all of those games I listed are platformers in their own rights. Definition of a platformer: a type of video game in which the player controls a character jumping or climbing between solid platforms at different positions on the screen. All those games exemplify this.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • I'm glad to see you've got such an open mind to this.

tumblr_mvasiwf79a1s7mdj8o7_250.gif

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.
    You say DKCR is meh. That's fine, but I want your reasoning.
    Your reasoning was basically, the bosses suck. OK, that's not wrong, but why does that make it "meh" overall?
    You go on and list some platformers you think are better with no reasoning whatsoever when half of them aren't even platformers. By your definiton you might as well consider Call of Duty a platformer. Then you go on saying it's preferences.
    I don't get it. Where the hell did that come from? How does that answer my question?

I'm still waiting for the reason why you think DKCR is meh. A good reason.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns does a lot of things right. Aesthetically, it is a very good game. The world's are very beautiful, each differing from the previous, and the music consisting of new and remixes of old is very nostalgia filled. However, for me, that isn't enough. When I look at a video game, I'm looking at the gameplay itself. Besides from the occasional mine cart and barrel ride here and there, it follows a very simple concept layout which doesn't offer much of a challenge. It's a very easy game, and I find myself breezing through levels without even noticing. Because it doesn't take much effort to beat it, I don't really feel engrossed in the game. The fact that I'm literally able to have 50+ lives where - for some god awful reason - I can buy even more lives without any problem at all considering how vast the supply of banana coins is is a problem to me. It doesn't add any degree of caution when you play the game because when you are playing you don't have to worry about dying, as you can literally just buy more lives. In that respect, I feel like that's a broken game element.

You asked me what things matter in the genre of platforming, and that's my answer. I don't want to feel like I'm able to just walk through a level like it's not a problem. That's why games like Mega Man and Super Meat Boy are so fun because they offer in my eyes a real challenge; they make you work to get to the end of a level and it takes real skill to achieve it. In Mega Man specifically, there is no buying of extra lives. If you lose all of them, it's game over and you have to start right from the beginning. In Super Meat Boy, while there isn't a life system implemented, at the end of each level when you complete it, you can replay your gameplay and see how many lives it actually took to complete it. These core elements is what I like in a video game; the fact that r cautious with every move you take and you're penalized for every mistake you make, as well as the accomplishment you feel in completing each level after many, many tries. In Donkey Kong Country Returns, you don't have to worry about that.

I keep bringing up the preferences point because neither your opinion nor my opinion is what defines a great platformer. We can argue all we want, but there will always be something that one person prefers over another which gives that game the edge in their minds.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Spino, its probably just best to drop it at this point. You like DKCR, elhero doesn't. It's not going anywhere; your guys's opinions on what makes a good platformer just don't match up at all.

...Soooo, new topic (before this becomes the "Spino and elhero debate various DK platformers" thread): What console and/or handhled system have you all owned the longest?

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    When someone say they don't like a game it's very reasonable for someone to ask why and EXPECT a good reason.

Saying bosses suck isn't a good reason.

Calling a game that is both heavily praised and hated for its hard difficulty an easy game is not even a reason.

I've seen my share of people who didn't like the game and they all brought good points. Shake to roll was unintuitive? OK, I get that. The level design was far too dynamic and it was heavy with trial and error? OK, that's fine. Bouncing on enemies doesn't work the way it should? That's right. Game is way too hard? Absolutely, not faulting you for that. Level design is too strict and linear? Fine if you don't like it.

Bosses suck? It's easy to get lives? No. Might as well call all Mario platformers, Yoshi's Island and any platformers with infinite lives "meh".

Hell you might as well say "I just don't like it". That's fine, but when you go ahead and say it's not great with those reasons, is it wrong of me to question him? Not like it's getting heated with insults or anything. I don't have anything against the dude, I enjoy his posts....but I really don't get his reasonings on this one. That's all.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    You have a point or 2 there. Though at this point I don't think you're going to get a satisfactory set of reasons out of him...

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Well, all that aside, I'll answer the topic question:

What console and/or handhled system have you all owned the longest?

I still have my old PS1 when I owned it when I was... seven years old? So, that's about 14 years now!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I think the oldest gaming system that I still own is my GBA SP. Most of the older ones have all been sold away (or in my PS2's case, broken). Yay for backwards compatibility (except on newer PS3's, Sony why did you do that?!).

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • There are home videos of my dad playing our NES with us when I was around 3 or 4, so 16/17 years? My first console I personally owned though was the N64, which then would have been 11 years.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back