• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will there be more?

TheUnown

Super Lurker
Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2015
    Sorry if this is a repeated topic xP;

As we're entering Generation V, do you think this will be the last generation of Pokemon games? Of course we have Black and White and the speculation of a third game, but aside from that, do you believe the Pokemon gaming franchise may be nearing the end? Not right now, but eventually...like in a few years or so, assuming they will still create more games following BW.

Or if not, when do you think it could end? For instance, waiting to reach 1000+ Pokemon or something like that. Not including possible remakes or spin-offs.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I heard a rumor from my cousin that they'll stop making the Pokemon games after B/W because GF is losing money. But I'm taking this by a grain of salt because GF might have the creativity to create more Pokemon for future generations.

Years
  • Gamefreak is LOSING money? Holy Crap.

Well, Tajiri DID want to stop at Gen 6...so it's possible they will stop. Even if they do, which I still doubt, life would move on, and who knows, Pokemon might be revived!

Tonko

Curious Wanderer
    Years
  • I'd be pretty shocked if the Pokemon franchise was losing money in Japan, based on the insane amount of merchandise they have there, up to Pokemon Center shops and a theme park. And they're still making the anime and movies.

I suppose they'll have to stop someday, but B&W doesn't feel like it's the last.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I highly doubt it will end any time soon. There's just no way it's possible. I don't believe that rumour that GF is losing money on the franchise, the sales are astronomical. I think as long as they can keep making money, they'll keep making games. And I'll keep buying every single version to boost sales as high as I can.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I don't see how GF could be loseing money. Black and White were the most pre ordered game ever at least from GF.

I say they will do a max of 5 more and 2 at least.

RivalGator

I hate them all.
    Years
  • I can't see them stopping any time soon. I am almost willing to be money they will be making Pokemon games by the time we have our own children and probably until they are at LEAST 5 or 10 years old. I'm ALMOST willing to even bet on grandchildren, because I have seen a LOT of people try and predict Pokemon's end, but... I'm not going to go that far.

Ibis

flyin' with Lugia!
    Years
  • We're not the ones doing the bookkeeping for GF so they COULD be losing money and we just can't see it and therefore fathom it. Maintaining things like theme parks and shopping locations takes a lot of money and doing advertising and marketing including things like the Black and White tour costs a lot of money as well. Also, 'losing money' could simply mean that it isn't AS profitable as it might have been before. Not that they're actually in the negative, but they might just not be earning as much as before and so to them, that could be just not profitable in the longer run.

Anyhow, there is a part of me that thinks Pokemon will eventually come to a slow-down if only because after some point, how many Pokemon can you create that truly look unique and like a viable 'Pokemon' creature and not like a mishmash of parts and pieces?

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Ah, this old chestnut... this topic comes up multiple times every generation. =p At any rate, Pokemon games will continue to be made for a long time, fairly sure. After all, Pokemon = $$$, and Game Freak and Nintendo are businesses that like money - ergo, more games will be made. Even the spinoff series are profitable.
    I heard a rumor from my cousin that they'll stop making the Pokemon games after B/W because GF is losing money. But I'm taking this by a grain if salt because GF might have the creativity to create more Pokemon for future generations.
    I'd... take that with far less than a grain of salt - ask your cousin where this info comes from, because given the sales of all the main games, especially B/W which had record sales in Japan alone and will easily sell millions of copies in the US/Europe/Australia... I honestly cannot see how they are losing money. Pokemon is one of the best selling series out there so if Game Freak was losing money than many other franchises would have gone bankrupt long ago. Heck even Sonic continues and the problems their games had for a good while are well known.
    I hope it does end...Pokemon has really gone downhill.
    Matter of opinion, and the sales disagree with that given they're reportedly record-makers. =p

Cyndaquil312

It's been 7 years... but i've returned once more.
    Years
  • Personally, I thought it was the end at Diamond and Pearl, then I caught wind of Generation 5. Pokemon is Nintendo's second biggest title (Mario is number 1). As far as sales go for Nintendo titles, Pokemon has ruled the ranks, with black and white already running over 5 million in Japan alone.

From a creative standpoint, sooner or later they're gonna run out of ideas, (a sarcophagus? and a chandelier? come on GF...) but none the less, Pokemon survived the 90's and is on to entertaining a new generation, but is still managing to hold on to it's "veteran" players. Do I see it becoming something like Final Fantasy? doubtful, but I could be wrong. I personally would love to see Pokemon continue, (come on R/S/E remake!)

If game freak were really losing money, they'd be pulling a Square Enix right about now, because Black and White currently have more US copies on reserve than any Pokemon title to date.

Like all good things, it'll end sooner or later, but I don't see Nintendo letting go of one of their biggest money makers (they sure are milking Mario for all he's worth).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think that Gen V will be the last, or Gen VI. If there is a Gen VI, that would put the total of Pokemon around...800 something maybe. And I think that's enough, I'm afraid.

billie_lightning

Lightning Queen
    Years
  • The more Pokemon they create, the more disappointed I am. I mean, there are the gems in every Generation of Pokemon; that said, I'm not too impressed with Gen. V.

Despite my opinion, I think that Pokemon will continue for a bit longer. I don't think it's going to end any time soon. And I'd be VERY surprised if GF was losing money, considering the amount of merchandise there is for Pokemon.
    And also despite my opinion, I will keep buying the games. I can't stay mad or disappointed too long. Every Gen that has had a bad first impression always seems to grow on me. :)

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Ah, this old chestnut... this topic comes up multiple times every generation. =p At any rate, Pokemon games will continue to be made for a long time, fairly sure. After all, Pokemon = $$$, and Game Freak and Nintendo are businesses that like money - ergo, more games will be made. Even the spinoff series are profitable.I'd... take that with far less than a grain of salt - ask your cousin where this info comes from, because given the sales of all the main games, especially B/W which had record sales in Japan alone and will easily sell millions of copies in the US/Europe/Australia... I honestly cannot see how they are losing money. Pokemon is one of the best selling series out there so if Game Freak was losing money than many other franchises would have gone bankrupt long ago. Heck even Sonic continues and the problems their games had for a good while are well known. Matter of opinion, and the sales disagree with that given they're reportedly record-makers. =p

This. And why would you cancel a series right after a profitable rebirth? Not only that, BW are being mentioned as shattering sales records. And Pokemon is the second-best-selling videogame franchise, superseded only by the Super Mario franchise. Nintendo and Game Freak would be insane to stop now.

Plus, why would you stop at such an almost-but-not-quite-there number such as 649? I really wish they had added one more Pokemon in the Unova PokeDex; it slightly irks me that we're extremely close to a nice, divisible-by-10 number like 650. >_>

I hope Pokemon continues for a long time to come... The only thing I'm worried about is whether they'll stop at 1000. This is mainly due to Arceus's PokeDex entry in Diamond Version:

It is described in mythology as the Pokémon that shaped the universe with its 1,000 arms.

For some reason, I think Arceus designated "one arm per Pokemon created", and we're gradually getting closer to 1000 per Generation. We're halfway there with the release of Generation 5. 1000 is also a "nice, round, divisible-by-10" number, and 1000+ Pokemon would be daunting. Personally, I'd like Pokemon to continue for a long time to come, regardless of the Pokemon count. Increases in the Pokedex make attaining the title of Pokemon Master (which is, IMO, catching all existing/known Pokemon according to the current National PokeDex) that much more of a respectable feat.

Even if we do reach 1000 Pokemon and the franchise happens to stop there, there will always be more Pokemon to discover, catch, and train, regardless of the franchise's state. ;)

ShinyMeowth

Gone forever
    Years
  • They have absolutely no reason to stop making games. The franchise is selling more than ever, and the fanbase is enormous. Nobody in their senses would throw that away. We can safely assume that many more generations will come in the future.

Volcom22

Weepingbell Collector.. ^.^
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2011
    Seeing that Pokemon Black/White were the fastest games in Japan to break the 5 million copies sold mark & breaking the record for most copies sold on release day I don't think GameFreak has anytime stopping. I'm personally in love with the Black/White series! The anime reminds me a lot of season 1 for Pokemon and the gameplay for Black/White was amazing! I truly would be dissappointed if this was the last generation of games. I'm thinking they'd release a game starting you off in Kanto and you need to travel all the different regions to beat the game in the future. But getting back to topic, no I don't think this is the end of the Pokemon saga!

Last edited:
    Back