• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will we be out of touch when we're old?

TrainerShane

The Planner
Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2010
    We will be out of touch by the time we are grandparents, almost certainly. I know I'm already out of touch, as I find the iPhone and all other weird phone/computer/music player things to be science fiction at best.

It is just how we grow. No matter how good we ARE at technology, once you enter a certain age group, your mental faculties in the adaptive areas slows down. We will even blow at stuff we used to be good at- that is why our elders, many of whom have had a lifetime of driving experience, have as high a risk as brand new drivers when it comes to accidents. Physically, believe it or not, they are not usually too feeble and unable to cope physically. Mentally however, they have slowed down in an adaptive sense.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • Because the Z-Sphere 1080 will not be marketed to 40 year olds. It will be marketed to children and teenagers, and you will not buy it because you will feel that you are not part of the target audience.

That is the reason why the old people of today haven't kept up with technology. It is because all the latest technology is always marketed to younger people.

You see?

I don't see :) I think it's more the old people of today, weren't bought up with fast moving technology like us. Wii's and playstations are marketed at young people, yet my old dad (like 57 yrs old!) loves playing these video games. And it's not that his not mature, he is very mature... usually.

But I think atleast maybe once we hit 60 or 70, we'll start to not care. We'll probably be enjoying the finer things live has to offer. We'll still have a phone and computer, and other things like tv's. but we won't be going crazy to get the newest thing. I'm 15 and I'm not even doing that. My ipod nano (the version, before the latest- i think thats like the 3rd or 4th) died, very randomly. So now I'm using my old chunky nano, which most people my age would complain about and demand a new ipod touch or something :/

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I'm already out of touch. My interests in cars and music both date to the 1980's, I still don't have a cell phone, and I still use a VCR.

But that's okay with me. I never felt the need to be on the cutting edge of anything, and in the case of the cars and music, I'd rather stay out of touch - both have really gone downhill in recent years.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I'm already out of touch. My interests in cars and music both date to the 1980's, I still don't have a cell phone, and I still use a VCR.

You seriously still only have a VCR? How do you even watch films made in the last decade? They don't make videos any more.

But anyway, I think I've realised the main reason I probably won't fall out of the loop until at least my retirement: I want to be in graphic design. A career path that involves needing the latest tech to actually be able to do my job. If I'm still using Adobe Photoshop 2.1 on a Windows Millennium computer in 2020, then I'd never get work.
    Most careers revolve around IT now anyways. Technology has become a fundamental part of our lives.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I don't think I'll ever lose touch with technology; we've grown too dependent on it and I'm too fascinated by it for that to happen.

Years
  • I'm almost sure I'll be out of touch. I already am, for the most part. xD I think my iPod Touch is almost surreal, I have no idea how to send a text message, and I still play Pac-Man on my original Game Boy pretty much every day.

I do want a job as a programmer, so I guess I'll be a bit forced to keep up with the times, but it doesn't mean I won't complain about those young'ns all using iVisible and Windows 762 instead of Windows 3.11, because as much as I'd rather be working with 3.11 or Commodore BASIC, there's no way I could get a job doing that. Or if I did, I'd be flat broke. xD

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • I don't see :) I think it's more the old people of today, weren't bought up with fast moving technology like us. Wii's and playstations are marketed at young people, yet my old dad (like 57 yrs old!) loves playing these video games. And it's not that his not mature, he is very mature... usually.

But I think atleast maybe once we hit 60 or 70, we'll start to not care. We'll probably be enjoying the finer things live has to offer. We'll still have a phone and computer, and other things like tv's. but we won't be going crazy to get the newest thing. I'm 15 and I'm not even doing that. My ipod nano (the version, before the latest- i think thats like the 3rd or 4th) died, very randomly. So now I'm using my old chunky nano, which most people my age would complain about and demand a new ipod touch or something :/

I agree. I bought a cheap $10 Tracfone. People called it a piece of junk (probably because it wasn't the latest and greatest). It still works. It makes phone calls, I can text. These are the main purposes of cellphone. Just because it doesn't have internet or fancy apps or junk like that doesn't mean it's bad. I don't care about having the latest and greatest (plus some modern trends are really stupid, like Silly Bandz. I really don't get the purpose of those)

I do have an iPod Touch however (which is very useful. I can learn new languages on the go!). But, when I am old, and out of my parents modern life, I will step back and enjoy the great pleasures of life and nature. Technology is artificial

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • Hell, I'm out of touch with technology as is (and I'm 22!). I can work a slew of scientific equipment (gas chromatography-mas spectrometry, infrared spectroscopy, high performance liquid chromatography, atomic absorption/emission), but I can't for the life of me figure out how a damn iPod touch works.

I remember when I first had to use an Apple computer at school (all the Windows were taken), and I kept asking the girl sitting next to me, "Where's this?" or "How do I do that?", and the answer was always the same: "Click the apple!"

Here's a story some might appreciate:

I was up late at night about a month or so ago. Now, I have a usual ritual where I turn out the lights before bed, and then turn the TV off from the actual TV itself, not the remote. Well, this night I turned out them lights, and went hunting for the button... and couldn't find it. I thought, surly my nimble fingers just could locate said button! After some more hunting, I said some profanity and turned the lights on. Well, turns out we had a new TV - about half a foot larger in area from our old one; I spent the entire night without a clue, and had it not been for that lack of a button, I don't know when I would have noticed.

How's that for out of touch? :P

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I expect to be out of touch eventually, but I'm not going down without a fight and/or a hearing aid.

Amaruuk

[span="letter-spacing: -2px;"][b]└──[/b]►[/span]TY
    Years
    • Age 35
    • She/Her
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I'm not really a guy who shares the NOW mentality of our current generation (probably because I don't have money). This is because I believe in a simple way of life and I am more of an outdoors guy. I think we will become out of touch. I'm not even in touch with the popular teen whatnot.

I'm kind of on the same page. I'm not exactly outdoorsy or a 'roughing it' type of person, but due to lack of money I don't care about fancy new gadgets anymore and just have what works for me that I can get. If I do end up with something (like my iPod Touch), it's cool and I definitely make good use of it, but I really can't be bothered to care about many extraneous new technologies 'cause I can't afford such things anyway. I'm sure at some point when I'm old I'll fall behind, but because of the time period I grew up in, I'm used to the idea of rapid advancement and I won't be closed to the idea of learning new things.

I'm also one of those living-under-a-rock types that doesn't really pay any attention to anything if it doesn't seem worth the effort, for example celebrities and many pop-culture related things. On that front I know I'll be out of touch, 'cause in many ways I always have been.

Yamikarasu

Wannabe Hasbeen
    Years
  • I think the internet will help to keep culture fairly universal in the future, at least when it comes to different age groups. It's kind of like how TV set universal cultural standards for Americans when it was first introduced (you guys might have talked about this in your history classes). I think the internet will have a similar, if not greater, effect.

I hope I'm not the kind of person who will think society has gone downhill just because it's different from what I'm used to. I like to think I'm tolerant.

Musician of Literature

La musica es la fuerza...
    Years
  • I'm kind of on the same page. I'm not exactly outdoorsy or a 'roughing it' type of person, but due to lack of money I don't care about fancy new gadgets anymore and just have what works for me that I can get. If I do end up with something (like my iPod Touch), it's cool and I definitely make good use of it, but I really can't be bothered to care about many extraneous new technologies 'cause I can't afford such things anyway. I'm sure at some point when I'm old I'll fall behind, but because of the time period I grew up in, I'm used to the idea of rapid advancement and I won't be closed to the idea of learning new things.

I'm also one of those living-under-a-rock types that doesn't really pay any attention to anything if it doesn't seem worth the effort, for example celebrities and many pop-culture related things. On that front I know I'll be out of touch, 'cause in many ways I always have been.

I hate pop music. Pop-culture is stupid, even though it's popular. And, yeah, I am poor. Even if I was rich, I'd save all my dough for college or a pair of skis. I know I'll be out of touch.

Katie_Q

Pokemon master in the making
    Years
  • I can't work touch screen devices.

What are "Silly Bandz"?

That's what I'd like to know. What are these silly bandz? I'm useless at touch screens unless we're talking a ds. While shopping, all my friends were going crazy over the ipad, and how awesome it was. I was just like... it's not even that great? I'd probably keep on accidently touching things on the screen.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • I agree with the TC.

We've grown up with computers, they aren't as much as a shock to us. Technology nowadays is so close to reality, that once it crosses that threshold, it won't be as surprising.

hiphiphippo

hip hip hurray!
    Years
  • like people have mentioned before, I think I'd just lose interest and stop caring
    I'll prolly just keep my self updated to the minimum to get by with doing whatever I need to do, like my job or communication

For fashion, I hope to be in touch through my 40s and such. I like feeling pretty

That's what I'd like to know. What are these silly bandz? I'm useless at touch screens unless we're talking a ds. While shopping, all my friends were going crazy over the ipad, and how awesome it was. I was just like... it's not even that great? I'd probably keep on accidently touching things on the screen.

My mom has an iPad and it's been my only source of internet for 3 weeks. It's not that great. D':

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2012
    I'm always in touch. People might think otherwise, because I don't have a cellphone... but I do have an iTouch that has Skype on it, so maybe a cellphone really isn't needed?

Back