• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Will we ever get starters that AREN'T Grass/Fire/Water?

Lateon

The Eon Follower
Years
  • As cool as that would be, it probably will never happen.

There's always been grass/water/fire starters; I think alot of people would feel cheated if they decided to change it. Change is good, but I don't know if I would like them changing that particular part of the game. Like I said, could be cool, however I can see the GF hating starting.

xJordan

Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • I highly doubt it. While it would be cool, it would disrupt the flow of the game. The Water/Leaf/Fire is... Pokemon's core. Other then Pokemon Yellow of course... but in that game you can catch all 3 starters. You must think that if a new range of starters is released, they each must have a counterpart to a weakness.

Years
  • Does it have to be? Could they not rework the game so that you have different starters? Not every game HAS to have a rival for instance.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't think it'll happen. The Grass/Water/Fire combination is pretty much traditional in the video games.

Years
  • They don't need to change the types of the starters.
    What they could do in place of that is change the types of some of the pokemon available early in the game to include psychic/ice/steel etc. rather than having the regular bug/normal/flying types that we are used to.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
  • Does it have to be? Could they not rework the game so that you have different starters? Not every game HAS to have a rival for instance.
    Pokemon has changed a lot over the years, but the smaller details such as these are what has stayed consistent throughout every generation. Without it, Pokemon wouldn't feel so much like Pokemon to some people.

Also, the games need more than just an evil organization as the antagonist. They need a singular character that you, the player, actually connects with. Your rival.

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
    Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2011
    I don't think that something like that would happen. Fire, water and grass types are.. the elementary or the basic types of Pokemon, I guess. I don't completely rule out the possibility of this, though.

Pumpkin Fields

King of Carrot Flowers
    Years
  • I highly doubt it, grass/fire/water is a staple of the series.

What they could do in place of that is change the types of some of the pokemon available early in the game to include psychic/ice/steel etc. rather than having the regular bug/normal/flying types that we are used to.

This is a very good idea.

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Insert random filler here.

Last edited:

Neelh

i am so win lol!!1! :P
    Years
  • It's kinda Fire/Water/Ice/Air/Stone/Earth for Pokemon.

The elements I chose are what were used for every Bionicle year to 2008. Then they added Grass, Skrall, and Vorox and knocked off Air, Stone, and Earth. but that shouldn't interest you.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • As of right now, there's no real need for it to ever change, besides, the only other perfect triangle is Flying/Rock/Fighting. Definitely not the most interesting trio of types, -.-;

pleryt16

ERMAHGERD ITS A VAPOREON
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2013
    As of right now, there's no real need for it to ever change, besides, the only other perfect triangle is Flying/Rock/Fighting. Definitely not the most interesting trio of types, -.-;

Ther is also Fighting, Psychic, and Dark

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Maybe have one of those types as a secondary type for the final evo of each starter. That'd be nice. Otherwise, I do no want to see a change in the starter types.

Erin

Exceptionally Adequate
    Years
    • Age 32
    • SA
    • Seen Nov 14, 2010
    I've always kind of felt like a game intended for older audiences where the player was a member of a criminal organization who went rogue would be interesting (I know they kinda did this with Coliseum, but... not really). In a game like that, Psychic/Dark/Fighting could work, as others have already mentioned.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • As of right now, there's no real need for it to ever change, besides, the only other perfect triangle is Flying/Rock/Fighting. Definitely not the most interesting trio of types, -.-;

That trio would work, but I agree that it does not seem very interesting because those types really have almost no relation to each other aside from being other options for a 'super effective/not very effective' triangle.

With Fire/Water/Grass, they make a perfect triangle, with the first 2 commonly being seen in mythologies relating to the classical elements. In practically any story, if the main character/group or someone/-thing of the sort specializes in Fire, you can almost guarantee that a Water person, group, monster, etc. will be present in some way, shape, or form. Grass (or "Wood") is also seen as a represented element in various mythologies, though not nearly as common as Fire/Water conflicts are. Furthermore, red, blue, and green are the primary colors of light, so that's another relation. Lastly, the original Generation I Pokemon games (when you take in account the Japanese Pokemon Green Version as well) were represented by Fire/Water/Grass starters (Red, Blue, and Green Versions), so that theme has virtually manifested as one of Pokemon's core attributes in subsequent games.

Pokemon Yellow Version and Pikachu deserve a mention as yellow replaces green in the primary colors of paint. In addition, from my experience, yellow tends to be utilized as a 4th addition when red, blue, green have already been featured in some sort of trio (i.e., at the Battle Tower entrance in RSE, a Pokeball is surrounded by red, blue, green, and yellow tabs) - the same for green being a 4th addition when a red-blue-yellow trio has been established instead. Thus, yellow can be seen relating to the common RBG triangle.

And yeah, even though Fighting/Psychic/Dark does not make a perfect triangle, here is an excerpt of a post I wrote earlier on the matter of such a unique starter 'triangle'.

As a side-note, I'd still like to see a Dark/Psychic/Fighting trio. Yes, I know the triangle is partly broken, but the Psychic-type could be granted a unique ability that removes the Dark-type's immunity to Psychic-type allows the user to hit Dark-types for "not very effective..." or normal effectiveness (similar to the effect of the move Miracle Eye). However, 'normal effectiveness' would still break the "not very effective" triangle...

The reason I prefer this "trio" is that the Fighting and Psychic-types represent two parallels of combat (physical combat, and mental/telekinetic combat). Furthermore, the two "alignments" of combat are utilized (as in, Fighting-types fight with just and honorable tactics, as opposed to Dark-types that use sneaky and underhanded, dishonorable tactics...)

I actually came up with three Fakemon Starter Pokemon lines that formed a trio of Dark/Psychic/Fighting... For Rule of Cool, the Fighting-type ended up as Fighting/Dragon, the Psychic-type ended up as Psychic/Poison with a Miracle Eye-esque ability to hit past Dark-type, and I really debated with the combo for the last one (it's a Dark-type, but the more prominent types I was debating on were Steel-type/Rock-type/Ice-type [allowed for a 4x weakness to Fighting-type, but I figured such combos would remind me too much of previous Pokemon made already] and Ghost-type (served the Pokemon's appearance, but would worsen the triangle even more)...

Anyway, I think it would be cool if at least one generation were able to deviate from the Fire/Water/Grass triangle of tradition, just to serve as a one-time refreshing change of pace from past games. :D

Last edited:
    Back