• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Windows Vista end of support

Guest123_x1

For the very few people still running Windows Vista, an important milestone will happen less than three months from now. On April 11, support for the beleaguered Windows release will officially end. This comes in accordance with Microsoft's support policy, and it's also noteworthy that Google has long since dropped support for Vista (and XP, of which support ended in April 2014) in their Chrome web browser. Firefox is expected to drop Vista support this year as well, and the already long-since-outdated Internet Explorer 9 is the last version of that browser to support Vista (and also the only supported version for it and the original Windows Server 2008 release as of January 12, 2016).

For those still running Vista, most will probably want to get a new computer, or switch entirely to doing computer work on a tablet or smartphone (like many other people are now), since, although there are some PCs from the Vista era that are capable of running Windows 10, direct upgrades from Vista to 10 are not officially supported.

Also of note is that Office 2007 support will be terminated on October 10th of this year, almost six months after Vista support ends.

Share your thoughts about the upcoming end of support deadline for Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I'm actually very happy that Vista will be buried to the grave. That OS was very hard to work with and very difficult to run.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    Does anybody even still run Vista?

My parents, much to my agony. The computer is 7 years old, on its dying breath, and taking up space I could actually really make use of, but they refuse to get rid of it.

Years
  • My parents, much to my agony. The computer is 7 years old, on its dying breath, and taking up space I could actually really make use of, but they refuse to get rid of it.
    In all honesty, you should at least upgrade their computer to Windows 7 at the least, if you are able to.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    In all honesty, you should at least upgrade their computer to Windows 7 at the least, if you are able to.

I'm not sure if the hardware could handle it. I don't exactly know what's wrong with it, but it's slow and clunky. No amount of software maintenance helps, and even the factory reset I did on it a couple years ago only made it works reasonably for a few weeks. I built my dad a new PC about a year ago, and my mom just got a tablet-laptop hybrid for Christmas, plus they have their phones, so I've just refused to service the thing anymore.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I don't think this is much of a surprise. It is 10 years old. I still remember actually liking it as opposed to all the reviews it got, I never really had any problems with it.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Welcome to Obsolete Club, Vista. I'm pretty sure I use 2010 currently and running 7 before

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • Farewell Vista, you won't be missed. Though I will continue to use your OS theme as the theme for my Windows 7 laptop, haha.

Now how long will it be until Windows 7 support ends...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Thought mainstream support for 7 have already expired and no longer support, it still 3 more years till 7 ceased it's support

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I thought Vista ended support years back, cause I know they completely discontinued support for the early builds of Windows 8 completely sometime last year or so. I do wonder when Windows 7 will end support even though a lot of people still use Windows 7 (like, probably more than Windows 10 currently), though I upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago so it doesn't bother me.

Years
  • I thought Vista ended support years back, cause I know they completely discontinued support for the early builds of Windows 8 completely sometime last year or so. I do wonder when Windows 7 will end support even though a lot of people still use Windows 7 (like, probably more than Windows 10 currently), though I upgraded to Windows 10 a long time ago so it doesn't bother me.
    Microsoft has two forms of OS support: mainstream and extended. What's ending this year for Vista is extended support, which means no more patches at all for the OS on Patch Tuesday. As for why Windows 8 (not 8.1) concluded all support, who knows. Windows 7 mainstream support ended back in January 2015 and has extended support until January 14, 2020.

Guest123_x1

As for why Windows 8 (not 8.1) concluded all support, who knows.
    Likely because Windows 8.1 was offered as a free upgrade for Windows 8 users, Microsoft decided to treat 8.1 as a "service pack" (instead of designating "Windows 8 Service Pack 1"), which gave Windows 8 users two years to migrate to 8.1 in order to remain supported. Had there been a "Windows 8.2" branded "free upgrade" for previous Windows 8.x version users instead of coming up with Windows 10, then Windows 8.1 would have lost support two years after a would-be 8.2 had been released.

yrmrku

Yer-Mur-Ku
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Feb 8, 2017
    Windows 7 (internal version 6.1) is basically just Vista (internal version 6) with bugfixes.
    Also clean the internals if you never did.

Windows 7 pretty much has matching (if not, lower) requirements to that of Windows Vista. You should be good to go to upgrade it!

I didn't mean hardware specs wise I meant hardware as in the physical objects in the computer are getting too worn out. Cleaning isn't an option since it's a towerless all in one PC.

I'm just hoping in the next year it'll finally die and we can be rid of the thing.

Back