• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

World Cup 2006

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    Blue said:
    If there's anyone I lost respect for this year, it's for FIFA as a whole. They govern the single biggest sport in the world, yet they're the weakest governing body of all sports. Would it kill them to start integrating technology into the way refs make calls? Would it kill them to hire good refs? FIFA needs to shape up, and they've needed to for a while. They don't do anything about bad calls anymore.

I agree, that's all I have to say.

Every cup is going to have its fair share of fouls, like 2002, probably one of the most controversial WCs ever, but I still consider it to be the best. In terms of game play, this wasn't even close to being the best year. France and Italy shouldn't be in the final, both of their teams heavily relied on diving. Brazil came too far for a team that seemed like they didn't even care, a lot of good teams were sent home too early. I really thought Australia had the potential to be one of the best teams this year, but they were sent home early on a bogus call.

I was mad in that Australia game, they were screwed over on that call. I mean maybe if kind of looked like a foul but this was not even close, of course we have replays and the refs don't but that's what they are...refs.

Well, Germany wins third place, they did a good job. Now I just sit and wait for the final match. I hope this game is a good one, I'm expecting a good one.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    It'll probably be a boring one, really wish Germany would have played like this against Italy in their semifinal match. Only one more game left, and then we start the four year wait again, w00t!

FaNtEcH

u keep winning until u lose
    Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2008
    I hope Italy wins

All time Italy football team fan!!

Samurai X

La Dolce Vita
    Years
    Well, Italy won in PKs. I didn't have a favorite in this one. I thought it was an ok match. I was surprised with Zidane and the headbutt, that isn't how he's supposed to behave. What did you guys think of the match?

Zelos

*yawn*
    Years
    I was rooting for France...

Anyway, I found it kinda sad that Zidane was retiring after this Cup...and he got red-carded. The headbutt was kinda funny, though.

Oh well. Italy wins, Cup's over.

(Some guy just took off his pants....scary o.O)

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Whoa, that was not a good way for Zidane to end his career. I haven't lost any respect for Zidane today though. He had one horrible moment (no doubt he was provoked) in a glorious carreer. Not one of us can claim to be a better person (or worse) than Zizou. All this has done is show that one man, no matter how classy, can still lose his cool. I hate that this game had to come down to PKs, though going into it I knew it'd end up like that. Did the best team win? Neutrally, I think France fought more tooth and nail and had a greater desire for it...then again, I think Italy was doing the same thing. As the commentators were saying, both teams practically cancelled each other out. Both teams played great, I really had no one team that I wanted to win at this point, so I would have been glad either way. Once again, this World Cup, while not the greatest, proves that this is really the only sport where a team can have the title of world champion and have that title be literal. Meh...congrats to Italy on their 4th title and time for post cup depression to set in.

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
    IMO Zidane was provoked. If you look carefully at the replay it clearly shows he was grabbed on the nipple and tweaked. Some people were speculating about a racist comment which provoked the headbutt, but if someone grabs your nipple and twists it I'm not surprised if he gets retaliation.

Overall, it's been quite a sedentary world cup, with the second lowest goal count ever. Most of the good teams have been a bit sub-par, and the ones who seemed to be playing well always seemed to lose (Argentina is a case in point).

After hearing about the final I had tipped Italy to win, just because they seemed more hungry than France. Didn't think it would go as far as penalties though.

FIFA need to look more carefully about technology, and see that it is a good thing to introduce to the game. Also, consider the idea of sin bins for lesser offences, it works well in other sports, notably rugby. Losing a player for 5-10 minutes can have an impact and it won't be as harsh as sending them off for good, unless they really deserved it.

Hakudoushi-kun

Guardian of the Northern Souls
    Years
    i really wanted france to win. i feel bad for zidane and the whole french team working so hard and then to lose in penalty kicks (an unlucky one too at that). actually... i wouldn't have cared who won if zidane hadn't headbutted materazzi and materazzi hadn't said the "harsh words". i really hope FIFA doesn't take the player of the year award from zidane.

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2006
    It was zidane's fault for headbutting that player (don't know the name of the guy who got headbutted)

Baihu

Starting Goalie
    Years
    Man, I really wanted France to win (I'm part French), but no good, eh? Hey, I respect Zidane for headbutting Materazzi (after what Materazzi reportedly said to him), especially how Materazzi apparently said it three times.

But even if Zidane didn't headbutt Materazzi and wasn't sent off, Trezeguet would have still been in the shootout lineup, and it was him that missed in the shootout.

Hey, Trezeguet may have got it in if Zidane was still in the game, but then everything could have been different. The whole "one action changes the future" thing, you know? Like in the Butterfly Effect.

Back