• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Everyone know how hilariously bad some of the gen 1 sprites are (Most of them are fairly suspect to be fair, and 99% of the backsprites are terrible) and although Blue fixed some and Yellow fixed up nearly all of them, there's no escaping the monstrosities the original two games threw our way. But what would you say is the absolute worst?

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

For me it's this guy. He doesn't even remotely resemble Mew at all. The whole thing is laughable, from the eye placement to the tiny little t rex arms to the massive, massive head.

For those who want to take part:
    Green/Jap. Red Version Sprites
    Blue/Eng. Red Version Sprites

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Loads of awful ones, but Porygon's sprite evolution from Green to Yellow amuses me the most:

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

?????

I can't help but burst out laughing looking at Green Ekans:

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

It's practically going, I'm stoned, wtf!!!!

Yeah it's absolutely baffling how some actually got worse. Blastoise is a great example of this

Green's Ekans is atrocious. Why's it mouth like that?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 28, 2016
    I find greens Blastoise sprite better than blues. Also I find greens Magmar sprite funny. He looks like Moe from the Simpsons.

clefairydesuyo

fairy type pokétrainer
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen May 13, 2018
    Chansey's sprite evolution is a bit of a weird one for me.

Green: awww
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Red/Blue: WHAT IS THAT AND WHY IS IT RUBBING ITS HANDS IN GLEE WITH THAT MANIACAL LOOK IN ITS EYES
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Yellow: awwwww...*
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

*still having nightmares about R/B Chansey though

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I find greens Blastoise sprite better than blues. Also I find greens Magmar sprite funny. He looks like Moe from the Simpsons.

Yeah, Blastoise is a great example of a Pokemon that actually got a worse sprite for Blue

Years
    I absolutely hated Koffing's sprite for this generation since it looked like it was upside down. Also, that one Pikachu sprite that made me kept thinking it was Raichu.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I absolutely hated Koffing's sprite for this generation since it looked like it was upside down. Also, that one Pikachu sprite that made me kept thinking it was Raichu.

Another fine example of how the Blue/US Red sprite was changed and was actually worse than the original R/G sprite

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

I mean, why???

Years
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 17, 2021
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Poliwrath looks like it's gonna slap someone.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Exeggcute is a large egg, orbited by smaller eggs.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Parasect is absolutely terrifying.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Mankey thinks it's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Slowbro wonders how his shell tastes.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

And Omastar is doing all sorts of disco moves.

Mardovelin

cute + grumpy
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2018
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

ivysaur's on 2 feet.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

hitmonchan or doduo & togekiss?

however,
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    in pokemon yellow, gengar looks badass.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    red/blue is acceptable...
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    what. this looks like a fat lump, not a pokemon xD

Guest123_x1

Red and Green's Mew was mind-bogglin' AWFUL! Doesn't even resemble the adorable Mythical Pokémon that it really is.
    Golbat is another one high on the list of terrible-looking sprites.

Then there's Pikachu with the dark spot on its belly. I do remember seeing a piece of official artwork somewhere with Red and Pikachu from around 1995-96, with Pikachu having a white belly.

Of course, like everybody else is saying, Yellow's front/opponent sprites were a significant improvement and look much closer to the designs we're familiar with today, even though the back/player sprites were carried over from R/G.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Red and Green's Mew was mind-bogglin' AWFUL! Doesn't even resemble the adorable Mythical Pokémon that it really is.
    Golbat is another one high on the list of terrible-looking sprites.

Then there's Pikachu with the dark spot on its belly. I do remember seeing a piece of official artwork somewhere with Red and Pikachu from around 1995-96, with Pikachu having a white belly.

Of course, like everybody else is saying, Yellow's front/opponent sprites were a significant improvement and look much closer to the designs we're familiar with today, even though the back/player sprites were carried over from R/G.

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

This the art you mean?

Guest123_x1

This the art you mean?
    Yep that's it! Seems the designs of the first gen Pokémon were in "obvious beta" around the time Red and Green were first released. Most of the Pokémon depicted in R/G/B don't even resemble their first anime appearances (starting in April 1997 onwards). Kind of like how Mickey Mouse went through at least a couple of design changes since his first appearance in 1928.

Back