• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

I kinda nearly forgot this monstrosity until i played a bit of blue the other day

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Charizard's back sprite. It is comfortable the worst thing I've ever seen, and is legitimately terrifying! It looks like a freakin skeleton angel thing!

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    Everything is so weird. I don't know how they were acceptable or why people really liked them, but compared to now they don't even look... remotely normal. My #1 pick? All of them. Not a single one of them looks relatively ok haha.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    I mean, they're all pretty terrible. Not only that, but some of the changes made between Green, Red/Blue, and Yellow are so funny.
    Here's Krabby in Green.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Here he is in Red and Blue. Now he's upside down!
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

And finally, Yellow. Looks like they found a happy medium with him being sideways.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

The shape of Sandslash's body, especially spikes, changes significantly in Yellow.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Seel gradually sticks his tongue out more with each release.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Aaaand Spearow changes a ton as well lmao.
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    For me, it's a toss-up between that terrible Mew sprite in the opening post (I couldn't figure out what it was the first time I saw a picture of it) and Golbat (who I find exceptionally creepy in its original form).

It's interesting how normal Mew looks in its Yellow sprite. I'm always amazed by how it transformed from RB to Y. That goes for some other sprites, too (some of which I like better in RB, some in Y).

There are also a lot of sprite in gen I that really don't look like their character art (e.g., Koffing's skull and bones in the wrong place), something that you don't see nearly as much of in later generations.

lilyc0ve

horoscope: hungry
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 21, 2018
    Jigglypuff/Wigglytuff always gave me a giggle.

Worst Gen 1 Sprite?
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

"We've seen some thiiiings, man"

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    For me, it's a toss-up between that terrible Mew sprite in the opening post (I couldn't figure out what it was the first time I saw a picture of it) and Golbat (who I find exceptionally creepy in its original form).

It's interesting how normal Mew looks in its Yellow sprite. I'm always amazed by how it transformed from RB to Y. That goes for some other sprites, too (some of which I like better in RB, some in Y).

There are also a lot of sprite in gen I that really don't look like their character art (e.g., Koffing's skull and bones in the wrong place), something that you don't see nearly as much of in later generations.

In fairness a lot of those were based on their really early art seen in these cards

https://unrealitymag.com/video-games/the-lost-official-pokemon-art-that-no-one-ever-saw/

Which kinda explains why Mew looks so painful

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
    Worst Gen 1 Sprite?

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS THING? IT'S LITERALLY A STICK MAN WITH ITS FACE ON IT BODY! IT'S LIKE HITMONLEE WITH A WEIRD SMILE AND FLOWER HAT. IT'S LIKE A LITTLE TEAPOT SHORT AND STOUT; THERE IS ITS HANDLE AND THERE IS ITS SPOUT! WTF?????????
    secretly i love all the old sprites as bad as they are, they're all so charming haha

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    In fairness a lot of those were based on their really early art seen in these cards

https://unrealitymag.com/video-games/the-lost-official-pokemon-art-that-no-one-ever-saw/

Which kinda explains why Mew looks so painful

I hadn't realized that some of the sprites were based on alternate artwork, but some of those images do explain why the sprites might have turned out the way they did. I just figured the spriters only had a vague idea of what they were supposed to be creating, or the designs of the Pokemon were still in flux a little. Which I guess they were, if there were two sets of art made by Ken Sugimori. Any idea when the alternate art you linked to was designed vs. when the "classic" art we're familiar with was created?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I hadn't realized that some of the sprites were based on alternate artwork, but some of those images do explain why the sprites might have turned out the way they did. I just figured the spriters only had a vague idea of what they were supposed to be creating, or the designs of the Pokemon were still in flux a little. Which I guess they were, if there were two sets of art made by Ken Sugimori. Any idea when the alternate art you linked to was designed vs. when the "classic" art we're familiar with was created?

I'm not sure on exact dates, but they predate the official images we got as the games were released. You can tell because Pikachu, Kakuna, Poliwrath, Exeggscute and Charmander still have their beta designs. I;m guessing these were drawn late 95/very early 96

Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Golbat and Exeggutor both had horrible sprites in Red/Blue. The latter especially because of how nightmare inducing it is.

Back