• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst Video Game you have ever played.

Years
  • OK, haven't seen this one, so might as well post it.
    WHAT ARE THE WORST VIDEO GAMES YOU HAVE EVER PLAYED

Movie or book based games do not count, otherwise, every one of those.
    I would probably have to say: Vivá Pinata, Crash Bandicoot (series) and Prince of Persia (series, except 2008 title "Prince of Persia")
    Vivá Pinata is just plain boring. You start the game, you have to hit everything with a shovel, you plant grass, you hit more stuff with a shovel, you buy stuff with the stuff you receive for hitting things with a shovel, you get piñata's, which sometimes you have to hit with a shovel etc. etc. etc.
    Crash Bandicoot, again, repetitive. You walk, you jump, you flatten things, you spin, you smack creatures on the head and ride them, but that's about all. All the games blend in, you couldn't tell the difference between each of them. And Prince of Persia, well... Sands of Time was good. But that was about the peak of the mechanics in my opinion, no new innovative mechanics, it felt quite behind as a series. I liked the 2008 title, it was new, innovative, and just refreshing. Pity they didn't continue it, in that universe, with those characters.

So yeah, those are my most disliked video games, and now I ask... what are your most disliked video games?

Last edited:

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • Why wouldn't they count? Most of the bad games out there are either ports of other games or tie ins of cartoon series, books, and movies. Also it's kinda important to tell WHY you think the game is bad, because just saying it's bad isn't enough for anybody who haven't played those games.

With that said though, there's one game on my list that's infamously bad for being one of the worst video games of all time, and that game is Action 52 (NES). I have actually played it and... gosh where do I begin? It's a mess. It's basically a collection of 52.. er... games, if you want to call them, that are badly designed and poorly put together. Control schemes violate common sense, the games themselves are buggy and glitch-filled, and there are numerous problems with each game that run the gamut between being too easy, too hard, and everything in between. The reason it was like that is because it was made in sweatshop conditions by a bunch of college students for one guy who thought he could create a multigame cart that people could buy in stores, and while all the games might have some promise if they were polished up as they are they're in alpha at BEST and can be really unplayable. The music is really rad though.

I hate to have been one of the suckers who bought Action 52 when it came out; it cost $199.99 at the time, and has only grown in price since because of its rarity. Thankfully you can get it off the internet as a ROM but good lord. Being a kid and getting a game like that might make you swear off video games for life. It's just that bad.

Zoroark Cutie

The Illusion Fox Skyfarer
    Years
  • It is a toss up for 2 games for me. The first one is Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City. I was excited for this game and I even pre-ordered it, but it was not worth the money and I should've known better when I saw that the developer was Slant Six Games. Forgettable story, levels and music that aren't really memorable, glitches galore, bad graphics, and gameplay that is just infuriating with enemies that take forever to kill (Even when you shoot at their head), weapons that don't even matter because they are all garbage (With the exception of the Chicago Typewriter, for whatever reason, that weapon seems the most effective and the most different, and possibly even the Grenade Launcher) and melee being OP, moments that are just frustrating you'll want to throw your controller out the window, and possibly the dumbest ally AI I have ever seen. The 4 player co-op was nice, but it's almost a must because the AI is just bad and the game feels cheap at times in difficulty, and that's the most fun you'll get and even then, you and your friends are probably gonna find a better game to play co-op on. The game is also short and has no replay value. This game I especially hate because this is so far the only game that I have played that has literally made me sick and gave me a terrible migraine.

The next game is Bad Rats. This game is dirt cheap, but it is not even worth the smallest price tag that it'll get. The menu is barely readable, the game's resolution is highly questionable, the game looks ugly and looks like it is from the 90s (Although it was made only a few years ago), the tutorial sucks, and for a physics based puzzle game, the physics are bad, it acts differently and is never consistent, and plus the ball, which every level has a ball that is required in every level and is used to kill the cat (Which is your goal), can roll or fall out of the arena.

Youji

Game Designer
    Years
  • The worst video game I've ever played was actually Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for Wii U xD Okay I have to admit that this was rather a stupid "I need to buy a game" buy but seriously... It is not any fun and with all that Nintendo Characted Costumes it doesn't feel like Tekken anyway. It just feels weird overall. Dunno why but it just doesn't feel right on the U. The frist few matches, ya but once inserted, once played and never touched again. Tekken is PS and should stay PS. Also dislike putting Tekken Characters to SmashBros now... or Tekken costumes... :/

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Although it's the only game ever that made me rage, I won't say PMD4, because that at least was playable and had its moments.

Instead my pick goes to a game called Dungeon Lords, which had acceptable graphics and an interesting skill tree. That's about all the positive traits that game offers. Besides that, it features: a singleplayer game that's made for multiplayer, a multiplayer that is terrible, tons of bugs, puzzles that you can break entirely (without even knowing), invincible enemies that aren't invincible and give you so much EXP that you level up multiple times by beating one of them (which isn't even hard to achieve), a giant open world with only like five not plot-related NPCs that don't want to deal with you, giant cities that only have a couple houses, all of them somewhat plot related, a story that has the plot giving NPCs lie to you on mutiple occasions and to top it all off, a terrible ending ala "now you can explore this vast and empty world, but no, I lied to you. Instead here are the credits and after that it's back to the main menu".

The only reason why I even beat this game, was because I knew someone else who played it as well, so we could make fun of this game all the time. {XD}

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Vivá Pinata is just plain boring. You start the game, you have to hit everything with a shovel, you plant grass, you hit more stuff with a shovel, you buy stuff with the stuff you receive for hitting things with a shovel, you get piñata's, which sometimes you have to hit with a shovel etc. etc. etc.
    Crash Bandicoot, again, repetitive. You walk, you jump, you flatten things, you spin, you smack creatures on the head and ride them, but that's about all. All the games blend in, you couldn't tell the difference between each of them.
    You could describe any game this way. Absurd.
    The worst video game I've ever played was actually Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for Wii U xD Okay I have to admit that this was rather a stupid "I need to buy a game" buy but seriously... It is not any fun and with all that Nintendo Characted Costumes it doesn't feel like Tekken anyway. It just feels weird overall. Dunno why but it just doesn't feel right on the U. The frist few matches, ya but once inserted, once played and never touched again. Tekken is PS and should stay PS. Also dislike putting Tekken Characters to SmashBros now... or Tekken costumes... :/
    This thread is wack. Now we're playing console warriors?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Vivá Pinata is just plain boring. You start the game, you have to hit everything with a shovel, you plant grass, you hit more stuff with a shovel, you buy stuff with the stuff you receive for hitting things with a shovel, you get piñata's, which sometimes you have to hit with a shovel etc. etc. etc.
    I liked the 2008 title, it was new, innovative, and just refreshing. Pity they didn't continue it, in that universe, with those characters.
    That's actually pretty interesting. You say you don't like Viva Pinata because it's repetitive for a part of the game that's rather minuscule, but one of the biggest complaints about the 2008 Prince of Persia was that it was repetitious, largely because though the areas were different, there was very little deviation in what you had to do. Beat a boss, move past a symbol using what you got from the boss, rinse and repeat for several hours until you beat all four bosses. Not to mention that fighting is dynamic...but not nearly as much as it could be, and that had the very real potential to be repetitious, especially as you faced the same enemies over and over (which you would do because of the game's framework).

Did you actually play Viva Pinata that much? I mean, I'm not gonna knock you for not liking it, but what you describe doesn't sound like the game I played at all, especially considering the shovel certainly isn't at the forefront of the experience. What you described, had you not said the game's name, sounds a lot more like Shovel Knight than Viva Pinata.

mew_nani

Years
  • That's actually pretty interesting. You say you don't like Viva Pinata because it's repetitive for a part of the game that's rather minuscule, but one of the biggest complaints about the 2008 Prince of Persia was that it was repetitious, largely because though the areas were different, there was very little deviation in what you had to do. Beat a boss, move past a symbol using what you got from the boss, rinse and repeat for several hours until you beat all four bosses. Not to mention that fighting is dynamic...but not nearly as much as it could be, and that had the very real potential to be repetitious, especially as you faced the same enemies over and over (which you would do because of the game's framework).

Did you actually play Viva Pinata that much? I mean, I'm not gonna knock you for not liking it, but what you describe doesn't sound like the game I played at all, especially considering the shovel certainly isn't at the forefront of the experience. What you described, had you not said the game's name, sounds a lot more like Shovel Knight than Viva Pinata.

I wouldn't be too upset with him. Some people find different things repetitive than others. Some people say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is repetitive. I find fetch quests repetitive. He might just find that genre of video game repetitive, which he seems to say about Crash Bandicoot. Which admittedly is losing the forest for the trees a bit but hey, we should at least be thankful that he doesn't like Sonic '06.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Pokemon Channel. I could have played Metroid Prime so many years ago but instead I went with that stupid game. It's like animal crossing without the fun, kinda.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I wouldn't knock him too bad. Some people find different things repetitive than others. Some people say Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is repetitive. I find fetch quests repetitive. He might just find that genre of video game repetitive, which he seems to say about Crash Bandicoot. Which admittedly is losing the forest for the trees a bit but hey, we should at least be thankful that he doesn't like Sonic '06.
    Well repetitiveness being subjective really goes without saying- it's more the "why" he found it repetitive than that he found it so at all- the description didn't really mention the game portion and just mentioned the shoveling, which isn't really all that big a part of the game. It's used throughout, sure, but not to the extent that I could see that being the takeaway from someone who actually played it.

And as for Sonic 06, I can't be thankful for that. Of the Sonic games to come out in the last 10-15 years, Sonic 06 is my second favorite, right behind Sonic Generations. It's bad, sure- horrible, even, but it was an experience to be remembered. I've probably talked about it before so I won't here, but basically apart from having some good ideas and consistently throwing new forms of unintended terror your way, it was the type of game that only got more fun as it went because of...well, a mixture of things. It really is the type of experience that's hard to describe and doesn't translate from videos, it's something you just have to play to understand. And I won't say that other games that came out in that timespan, like the Adventure games, Colors, etc. were worse- I don't think they are, but I would be just the worst liar if I said I didn't have more fun with Sonic 06 as I did with those games.

mew_nani

Years
  • Well repetitiveness being subjective really goes without saying- it's more the "why" he found it repetitive than that he found it so at all- the description didn't really mention the game portion and just mentioned the shoveling, which isn't really all that big a part of the game. It's used throughout, sure, but not to the extent that I could see that being the takeaway from someone who actually played it.

And as for Sonic 06, I can't be thankful for that. Of the Sonic games to come out in the last 10-15 years, Sonic 06 is my second favorite, right behind Sonic Generations. It's bad, sure- horrible, even, but it was an experience to be remembered. I've probably talked about it before so I won't here, but basically apart from having some good ideas and consistently throwing new forms of unintended terror your way, it was the type of game that only got more fun as it went because of...well, a mixture of things. It really is the type of experience that's hard to describe and doesn't translate from videos, it's something you just have to play to understand. And I won't say that other games that came out in that timespan, like the Adventure games, Colors, etc. were worse- I don't think they are, but I would be just the worst liar if I said I didn't have more fun with Sonic 06 as I did with those games.
    I kinda get what you're saying there. I've never played Viva Pinata before, but the way he described it could be worked to describe every game ever. He didn't describe it WELL, and that's something you need to do when you're criticizing a game, because if you just give a bland description of what you find boring in that game, it's not gonna give the reader much explanation on WHY it's a bad game. I also don't get the whole "video games based on movies and books aren't allowed" clause. Many of the worst games in history were cheap cash-ins of movies, books, other video games, and television shows. E.T for the Atari 2600 and Superman 64 were based on a movie and a comic book series respectively, and both of these are candidates for the worst video game in history.

As for your reasons for liking Sonic '06... I'm gonna just say disagree with you. I could explain why I don't agree but that would take up the entire page and derail the thread. I'm gonna just agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.

IggyKoopa

#429: magical pokémon
    Years
  • I would have to say the worst game I've played is SSX 2012. I felt completely disconnected from it and had to fight the game to do what I wanted it to do and not what it thinks I want to do. Not to mention the "story" takes itself way too seriously. I stopped playing after half an hour and haven't picked it up again since because all it made me want to do was get my Gamecube out and play SSX 3 which is a much better game.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • As for your reasons for liking Sonic '06... I'm gonna just say disagree with you. I could explain why I don't agree but that would take up the entire page and derail the thread. I'm gonna just agree to disagree with you and leave it at that.
    I'm not quite sure what you can disagree with, really, since all I pretty much said about the game is that it's bad and above you seemed to think the same.

But if you don't think it's so bad I don't see why you don't go on about it. After all, here we're all for discussion, people wouldn't really get much out of it if everyone just listed games they thought were bad and left it at that. It certainly wouldn't be derailing it.

Years
  • Well repetitiveness being subjective really goes without saying- it's more the "why" he found it repetitive than that he found it so at all- the description didn't really mention the game portion and just mentioned the shoveling, which isn't really all that big a part of the game. It's used throughout, sure, but not to the extent that I could see that being the takeaway from someone who actually played it.

I actually kinda can relate to this Sonic 06 thing. The story I thought was alright, but for most people it's the story and the gameplay. While I the story was nothing too crazy it was pretty interesting, but playing this game was damn near impossible. But in the end it was quite an experience to remember, unlike Sonic Lost World, or 1000x worse, Sonic Boom.

And here goes my thoughts on Lost World. The story, for what the game was, who cares. The gameplay was fun (I had the 3DS Version) and the boss battles were pretty different than most Sonic games I played. But that's just it, nothing else stuck out. Besides how slippery the controls can be or how the levels can sometimes be brutal. *sigh* I just want a good sonic game, even if it's just Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on Wii U, or Sonic Battle 3DS (ok maybe not that one)

mew_nani

Years
  • I'm not quite sure what you can disagree with, really, since all I pretty much said about the game is that it's bad and above you seemed to think the same.

But if you don't think it's so bad I don't see why you don't go on about it. After all, here we're all for discussion, people wouldn't really get much out of it if everyone just listed games they thought were bad and left it at that. It certainly wouldn't be derailing it.
    I'd describe why I don't like it but there's a problem: I've never actually played it, let alone to completion. I've seen my brother play it and die at the mach speed section in Wave Ocean and end up at the opening cutscene because Sega thought it would be a brilliant idea to not autosave the game and we both agreed it was a piece of junk. I've seen a LP of it several times, but I wouldn't touch that game with a 20 foot pole, and since the point of the thread is to describe the worst game you've ever played, I'm not really qualified to critique on it because of that reason. Believe me, it would be on that list, and there'd be a whole pageful of problems with it, but since the worst game I've actually played is Action 52, not Sonic '06, I have to stick with that. I COULD attempt to find the game at a discount and play it, but I'm not sure my sanity could take the mind screwery and sheer despair and unplayability that game has contained with in it. Especially the last episode. :/

And sorry about the confusion; I agree, it's horrible. Problem is, you think it's so bad it's good with some redeemable bits, and I think it's an eldritch abomination sealed in a double-layered Blu-ray disk that should be wiped from the mortal coil as quickly as possible. It's a game that can drive one to madness. Thus, I agree to disagree. I don't think there's any good in there at all, and you think it could have been good at some point had it been given more polish, and that's fine. Everyone has their own opinions.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I'd describe why I don't like it but there's a problem: I've never actually played it, let alone to completion. I've seen my brother play it and die at Wave Ocean and end up at the opening cutscene because Sega thought it would be a brilliant idea to not autosave the game and we both agreed it was a piece of junk. I've seen a LP of it several times, but I wouldn't touch that game with a 20 foot pole, and since the point of the thread is to describe the worst game you've ever played, I'm not really qualified to critique on it because of that reason. Believe me, it would be on that list, and there'd be a whole pageful of problems with it, but since the worst game I've actually played is Action 52, not Sonic '06, I have to stick with that. I COULD attempt to find the game at a discount and play it, but I'm not sure my sanity could take the mind screwery and sheer despair and unplayability that game has contained with in it. Especially the last episode. :/
    Well see, that's my point. Sonic 06 is a terrible game and I've not once denied that, but- first off, if you've never played the game, it's very hard to make a case for it. As I've said, and as others who've played the game will agree, the game is so bad that at first you'll want to stop playing but as you progress that bad will transmogrify into fun and make you not want to stop. Does this make the game better? Absolutely not. I describe this game as a masterpiece, really- and that's why it's so fun. There are a lot of awful, awful games out there, but the thing about Sonic 06, even in comparison to Sonic Boom (which, from the great deal I've seen, is worse, but I've yet to play it), the badness that it contains is like...a beautiful orchestra. It's an orchestra created completely by accident, a bunch of different sounds that start off messy and by the end they're pleasing to the ear despite the fact that they never truly come together. One beautiful mess, that's Sonic 06.

...'Cause, you see, I was like you. I originally just saw Sonic 06- specifically, I watched the entirety of the Game Grumps run (100+ episodes), and it was an absolute travesty. But they themselves said that playing it and watching it are two completely different experiences, and lemme tell you, just getting up to Wave Ocean does not mean you've experienced Sonic 06. That's just the tip of the iceberg and isn't indicative of the entire experience. And I'm not saying that it's guaranteed that you'll like it, and I'm perfectly fine with you saying how bad the game is, but I do think that there is a clear difference between the game being bad and the game not being fun. It's horrible, and it was a test of nerve, mettle, and sanity no doubt, but if it was boring or I felt I was playing it out of obligation- which I did in the beginning, I would have stopped playing. Very rarely will I play a game because I feel that I need to or for a sense of accomplishment alone- if I'm not having fun, what's the point? And even though I'm trying to describe it, as I said, it's not something that I can put into words. I don't want to glorify it, nor do I want to make it sound worse than it is- it's really just better to get hands-on experience with it.

---

TL;DR, it's bad. Really bad. But it's a memorable experience that I'd at least recommend giving another shot, especially since you've never played it before. And you have to take it for what it is. If you go into it thinking you'll be bored or expecting a game that's bad in every way, you'll set yourself up for failure. But if you take it for what it is then you'll get out of it what you put in.

And if this truly is deemed off-topic, for now, Sonic 06 will be my pick.

And sorry about the confusion; I agree, it's horrible. Problem is, you think it's so bad it's good with some redeemable bits, and I think it's an eldritch abomination sealed in a double-layered Blu-ray disk that should be wiped from the mortal coil as quickly as possible. It's a game that can drive one to madness. Thus, I agree to disagree. I don't think there's any good in there at all, and you think it could have been good at some point had it been given more polish, and that's fine. Everyone has their own opinions.
    It's certainly a game that can drive one to madness, but you said above that you've never even played the game, let alone seen past Wave Ocean. How can you simply pass off that there's no good in it when you haven't given it a chance. And I never said at all that it could have been good if it had polish- that much I don't think is true. I said it has some good ideas, which really means nothing more than that it has good ideas. Sonic 06 isn't the type of game that could just be put through the wash and be a good game, that would horribly be underrating what's wrong with it. I really do think there's been some mistranslation with what I think of this game, because it certainly isn't synonymous with how much fun I had with it.

I actually kinda can relate to this Sonic 06 thing. The story I thought was alright, but for most people it's the story and the gameplay. While I the story was nothing too crazy it was pretty interesting, but playing this game was damn near impossible. But in the end it was quite an experience to remember, unlike Sonic Lost World, or 1000x worse, Sonic Boom.
    Well...see, for me, Sonic games that take place in worlds that have human characters (specifically Sonic Adventure 1+2 and Sonic 06) are already pretty goofy. Mainly because...since the beginning, Sega wanted Sonic to be the symbol of cool, and that's fine, but there's no attempt at melding the real world and Sonic, they just kinda put Sonic and friends, who have a cartoony aesthetic, in a real world setting with people that attempt to look realistic, and it's pretty jarring.

And I won't say I ignored the story, because it takes a very specific type of game to make me ignore the story, but there were a lot of things in place, as there were with the Adventure games, that really just made it a very goofy adventure that I took for being exactly that. When I was younger- meaning 14-12 years ago, this wasn't much of a problem since I was young, I didn't really notice stuff like this. But now, when I see a silver hedgehog that's, verbatim, Trunks from Dragon Ball Z if he were a hedgehog (in appearance, in plot, and in transformation)- I'll just say that these are games that want to be taken seriously but ironically demand to be taken the other way, and that's basically how I went about it.

And I'm pretty good at handwaving stuff like this, but I feel that I think this way because the masses just accept it, and it's never questioned in game so its always at the forefront of my mind since it's never addressed.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Metroid: Other M. No contest. A lot of people have been complaining about Federation Force, but I for one am counting my blessings, because it could be worse: we could have another Metroid game like this abhorrent mess. This destroyed the Metroid canon and Samus as a character. There is no excuse or defence for the existence of this sexist piece of trash; it took all of the of fantastic character development for Samus, and intricate, wonderfully detailed material carefully and lovingly built up over multiple games, set it alight, pissed on the ashes, and then replaced it with third-rate, stereotypical garbage.

The first person controls were also awful, and the plot wasn't as clever as it liked to think it was. Since you were forced to watch every second of it, it utterly removed any enjoyment that might have been gleaned from the game. I don't truly hate many video games; I dislike a lot, but little earns my hatred. This game sits right at the top of that short list. It's very existence is offensive, and I refuse to consider it a part of the Metroid canon. The next proper Metroid game will literally make or break my continued interest in the franchise, because if we get a continuation of this in ANY form, I will never give it the time of day again no matter how good the gameplay might be. I would take a hundred crappy spinoffs like Federation Force with a smile on my face before I accept another title like this. No. No, no, no, no, no. NO. Never do this again, Nintendo. NEVER.

Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment also gets a special mention as a runner-up. Because much very sadness caused by penetration in mind of poor localisation, isn't it?! Gameplay was much enjoyable mostly, but garbled Engrish enjoyment up the wang and Kirito not over by flowers for nonsensical toilet seats. PS4 should release first and be gotten right initially.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't play games I wouldn't like in the present because I don't like wasting money.

So the worst game would have to go to the past and I'll say Counter Strike 1.6. That game was too slow, I didn't like the controls and gameplay with non-insta respawns.

Hi!

or some say Kosm...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2017
    Worst Video Game you have ever played.

Absolute trash. Kinda mars a great franchise. No one acknowledges this game's existence.

Back