• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Would it bother you?

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I get mistaken for being female all the time when I'm online, mostly because they haven't heard my voice or seen my pictures. It doesn't annoy me, I can understand why they'd think that. But if I ever got mistaken for being a female offline... I don't know.
    Would it bother you?

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2012
    I would not get bothered online, and it would not happen in person. So no, I wouldn't be. It'd be just plain silly too, just a misunderstanding. Who decides what boys and girls look like anyway? If I want to wear make-up and skirts, then hell, that's what I'll wear. & If a girl wants to shave her head bald, put on some combat boots, some army cargo pants, a t-shirt, then by all means, let her. In a perfect society, gender would be meaningless in everything bar reproduction. But actually, with science headed where it is, in a few decades, who knows, we might not even need to use the egg of the female or the male of the sperm. I mean, we can already create stable conditions in which they can develop.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I would never have an issue with it, but it's never been an issue to begin with. I guess my utter girliness shows through even online. But if someone thought I was a guy online, I wouldn't be offended in the slightest....though irl it would be pretty hard to mess it up.

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you?
    No, not really. I've only ever been mistaken for the opposite gender online when I was actively trying to confuse people by switching my gender to female... so that's understandable.

If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you? That bothers me a little more - especially over the phone. For some reason, I've adopted this soft, effeminate-sounding voice when trying to be polite. This happens pretty often at work where I'm constantly answering phones and I get called "miss" by a lot of the elderly patients. When I was younger this kinda thing used to make me pretty upset, but now I just kinda chuckle. Sometimes I even go along with it these days... Heck, if we get a customer complaint they'll never be able to trace it back to me! I'm a boy, and they called me "miss." ;D

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2013
    Online, no, it's just a simple mistake.

Offline however, then it's a problem, since I don't like being mistaken for a girl JUST BECAUSE most of my friends are girls in real life and I sorta look and sometimes wish I was a girl DOES NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCESmean that I am indeed a girl

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Nope, I usually go along with it, with ~hilarious results~. Makes for good stories to tell.

If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you?
    Never happened, don't think it ever will.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender online, does it bother you?: Yes, it definitely would, considering my username is clearly masculine.
    If someone mistakes you for the wrong gender offline, does it bother you?: Same as above. I clearly look like a guy.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
    just a little bit, to both.
    people usually mistake my gender online because of the way i talk. to be honest, i had no idea i talked like a boy online. really.
    as for offline, sadly, i've already been mistaken for a boy thrice. thrice, by a saleslady, two waiters, and a waitress. honestly, i'm not bothered by that so much, it just gets embarrassing when i'm with my friends, and some waitress/waiter goes to our table to get our orders, and s/he incidentally calls me a "sir."

miju-kun

soaring
    Years
    • Seen May 28, 2014
    It's actually quite funny. I don't know why.

I look nothing like my opposite gender. If someone mistakes me in real life I'm going to kick them.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Online, it doesn't bother me. After all, with all my signatures featuring girly colors and fonts and cute anime girls such as Leaf, my own character Lisa, and various Pretty Cures, it would be easy to mistake me for a female... especially since I don't reveal my IRL name on the site and even that can be a name for both genders. Actually, I find it kinda funny when I'm mistaken for female and sometimes I forget to reveal my true gender. For years I had a lot of people fooled, and I kinda liked it xD And yes, the fact that I have an original trainer character (Lisa) who's a female also adds to my mystique :P

It doesn't bother me IRL, but it doesn't come up often either... only occasionally over the phone. By looking at me it's painfully obvious, lol.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    It doesn't annoy me much. I just find it amusing.
    Yes, it does bother me because I'll start to think, how on earth do I look like a Boy? and how can they think that of me? especially through my nature and how I currently look. So, basically I would be quite disgusted if I was to be mistaken for a Male. :<

Years
    If it happens online, well, that's just what happens online and I don't feel bothered by it. Unless of course I've told you directly and then obviously it's annoying.

In the real world... ugh. I've gotten used to being called both a girl and a guy that I just can't be bothered to care anymore. The only thing that still gets to me is when someone is clearly hesitating while they think about what they're going to say. That makes it suddenly into something way bigger than it needed to be and makes things awkward.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Me? Na, not really. As long as it's obvious I could see where the problem would be. Though, it's a little awkward for me when someones gender on PC is set to a certain gender, and then I mention them and a little later someone tells me, oh that he is a she.

I don't see how they could.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Online: Nah. I find it amusing. My username is pretty feminine, so it just makes it even more amusing when people get my gender wrong. Buuut, they do from time to time. That, or they just feel like saying 'he'.

Offline: I wouldn't be able to understand how people would think I'm male when I look so obviously female. Can't say I dress female because I male wear clothes from time to time, buuut I am definitely female. I think they would have to be blind for them to not notice I'm female. Over the phone is the same thing. There's a higher chance of me being mistaken for my mom than for being a male.

Years
    Nope. If you haven't seen pictures of me and don't have gender set on the sidebar (or just plain don't notice it), I can see people mistaking me for male. But then I get a little boggled because my gender is set as female. I mean sure it's easy to miss but at the same time it's not like I hide it. :s

Depends on where it is. If it's at work, no way. I'm just a big black blob with my apron on, and my hair is super short. If it weren't for my high-pitched voice I'm sure more would be confused. If I'm in jeans and a shirt (especially a shirt that shows cleavage)... then I'll get boggled, but not really offended.

Kelp

<3
    Years
    Not really. A lot of people have the misconception that there are no girls on the internet for whatever reason, so it's quite common to be called a guy if you don't clarify. x)

Well it's never happened, but I still don't think it'd bother me. I'd think it was quite funny.

Centiflora X

Thread Killer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2011
    It does not matter to me what gender is used to describe me, offline, online, or in between...

Back