• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
Years
  • Yes the shiny encounter rate has been increased and it is especially high in horde battles(that's where you encounter geodude and graveller if I am not mistaken).
    I havent found a single shiny however.I start to think that my cartridge is defectiveXD

Geodude was actually the only one in a Horde, Graveler and Gurdurr were on their own. Aren't Hordes just like that because there is 5x more chance of having 1 special Pokémon?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Does anyone know how the game calculates random events for Online Battles (like status conditions from moves, critical hits, and moves missing)?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Does anyone know how the game calculates random events for Online Battles (like status conditions from moves, critical hits, and moves missing)?

Some moves have a percentage of a secondary effect. The exact chance isn't mentioned in-game, but they're mentioned in other places like Serebii, Bulbapedia or strategy guides. For example:
    -Scald has a 30% chance of burning the opponent
    -Ice Beam has a 10% chance of freezing the opponent
    -Body Slam has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent
    -Moonblast has a 30% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Attack

The accuracy of moves is determined by a scale of 100. For instance, if a move has an accuracy of 90, this means it hits 90% of the time. If the move has -- as its accuracy, this means it's either not applicable, or the move never misses under normal circumstances, except when the target is in the semi-invulnerable turn of moves like Fly or Dig; however, No Guard Pokemon can hit those Pokemon no matter what. Read these links for more.

Read here for the odds of critical hits and how moves can influence the critical hit ratio

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    Some moves have a percentage of a secondary effect. The exact chance isn't mentioned in-game, but they're mentioned in other places like Serebii, Bulbapedia or strategy guides. For example:
    -Scald has a 30% chance of burning the opponent
    -Ice Beam has a 10% chance of freezing the opponent
    -Body Slam has a 30% chance of paralyzing the opponent
    -Moonblast has a 30% chance of lowering the opponent's Special Attack

The accuracy of moves is determined by a scale of 100. For instance, if a move has an accuracy of 90, this means it hits 90% of the time. If the move has -- as its accuracy, this means it's either not applicable, or the move never misses under normal circumstances, except when the target is in the semi-invulnerable turn of moves like Fly or Dig; however, No Guard Pokemon can hit those Pokemon no matter what. Read these links for more.

Read here for the odds of critical hits and how moves can influence the critical hit ratio
    I know about all that, but I was actually wondering more specifically since the game isn't truly random, where does it get the seed from for Online Battles to determine all the random outcomes?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Yes the shiny encounter rate has been increased and it is especially high in horde battles(that's where you encounter geodude and graveller if I am not mistaken).
    Graveler is found by itself on Victory Road.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I did an online battle with some pokemon I bred and they all had the moves I wanted but were only at level 15 and I presumed when you battled the pokemon go to level 50 automatically but when I battled, my opponent was all at level 50 but mine were still at level 15. What did I do wrong? (step by step instructions would be awesome!)

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    So I did an online battle with some pokemon I bred and they all had the moves I wanted but were only at level 15 and I presumed when you battled the pokemon go to level 50 automatically but when I battled, my opponent was all at level 50 but mine were still at level 15. What did I do wrong? (step by step instructions would be awesome!)

Maybe, just maybe, that you chose a [No Restriction] rule?

Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2017
    I'm pretty sure it only sets Pokémon that are above Level 50 down to Level 50 but Pokémon under Level 50 stay at their same level. I might just be thinking of "No Restrictions" battles, but I'm fairly certain it applies to all Online Battles.

Proteun

Unofficial PokéMusic Composer
    Years
  • OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

Sorry for the caps, but this is nuts. I just encountered a Shiny Murkrow in a Horde on Route 15 while EV training and caught it. Just thought I should let you know.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    OH MY GOD IT HAPPENED AGAIN.

Sorry for the caps, but this is nuts. I just encountered a Shiny Murkrow in a Horde on Route 15 while EV training and caught it. Just thought I should let you know.
    We actually have a thread right here to tell people all about your shiny encounters on X and Y, if you wanna take a look in there.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    So I just heard that if you use Lapras with Surf it actually shows your character riding Lapras, is this true? If so, What other pokemon appear when you use certain overworld moves? (Going by the opening cutscene when you start the game I assume you ride a SKiddo and Rhyhorn in specific places in the game, but I am just looking for what pokemon of your own appear when you use specific moves)

Edit: And if someone knows a list of all the moves you can use in the overworld that would be great, I am trying to plan what pokemon to dedicate to solely overworld moves

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    So I just heard that if you use Lapras with Surf it actually shows your character riding Lapras, is this true? If so, What other pokemon appear when you use certain overworld moves? (Going by the opening cutscene when you start the game I assume you ride a SKiddo and Rhyhorn in specific places in the game, but I am just looking for what pokemon of your own appear when you use specific moves)

Edit: And if someone knows a list of all the moves you can use in the overworld that would be great, I am trying to plan what pokemon to dedicate to solely overworld moves
    Yup, its true, I've done it myself. Though I'm pretty sure that Lapras+Surf is the only thing like that.

As for moves usable in X/Y's overworld it's just Cut, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Flash, Teleport, and Rock Smash. There's no places you can use Rock Climb, Defog, or Whirlpool in Kalos.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Yup, its true, I've done it myself. Though I'm pretty sure that Lapras+Surf is the only thing like that.

As for moves usable in X/Y's overworld it's just Cut, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Strength, Flash, Teleport, and Rock Smash. There's no places you can use Rock Climb, Defog, or Whirlpool in Kalos.

Awesome, thank you for the info! But besides HMs/TMs there;s moves like Dig, Sweet Scent and so on so would you happen to know of a list where the moves other than TM and HMs are? And Can Lapras learn Dive? I know it has no use in Kalos (and I don't think there's an HM this generation that teaches it) but for the Hoenn Remakes there will be a use for Dive so I just want to future plan if possible. Thanks again!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Awesome, thank you for the info! But besides HMs/TMs there;s moves like Dig, Sweet Scent and so on so would you happen to know of a list where the moves other than TM and HMs are? And Can Lapras learn Dive? I know it has no use in Kalos (and I don't think there's an HM this generation that teaches it) but for the Hoenn Remakes there will be a use for Dive so I just want to future plan if possible. Thanks again!
    Oh, I knew I was forgetting a few moves >.<

But unfortunately, I don't have a list I can link you of all the moves usable in the overworld, though I'm pretty sure the list we have already covers just about everything.

Lapras can only learn Dive via HM (and the Dive HM is only in Gens 3 and 5), but you don't have to worry about that one since Dive will definitely be in water filled ORAS and you'll get the HM for that one and can teach it to the Lapras you transfer.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Oh, I knew I was forgetting a few moves >.<

But unfortunately, I don't have a list I can link you of all the moves usable in the overworld, though I'm pretty sure the list we have already covers just about everything.

Lapras can only learn Dive via HM (and the Dive HM is only in Gens 3 and 5), but you don't have to worry about that one since Dive will definitely be in water filled ORAS and you'll get the HM for that one and can teach it to the Lapras you transfer.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the cofnirmation! So I did some message board surfing and found a list of moves that have been used in the overworld at least once, so I just want to make sure I have the complete list (I wanted to plan some overworld move slaves just in case those moves become useable again in future games)

The moves I found are: Cut, Strength, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Sweet Scent, Dig, Flash, Rock Smash, Teleport, Defog, Dive, Rock Climb, Secret Power, Headbutt, Whirlpool, Milk Drink and Softboiled (Although those last two aren't that important to put on a pokemon) and from what I gather from you, Headbutt, Defog and Whirlpool have no use currently, but Rock Climb (if I remember correctly) can be used in Hoenn (as can Secret Power for the Secret Bases), so five of those moves I may not bother with, but as I said I just want to make sure I have all the overworld moves so I can future proof myself.

Okay, so based on these, I picked 4 overworld move slaves (can't call them HM slaves since they're not all HM moves) but I wanted to group the moves into similar groupings rather than be too random a collection of moves, so if people can suggest alternate groupings or alternate pokemon to get groups of moves that fit in better with each other that would be great!

Lapras: Surf, Waterfall, Whirlpool, Dive (Water travel)
    Bibarel: Strength, Dig, Rock Smash, Rock Climb (Caves and obstacles)
    Tropius: Fly, Cut, Sweet Scent, Headbutt (No particular theme, outdoors and obstacles maybe?)
    Xatu: Flash, Teleport, Defog, Secret Power (Definitely no theme, just whatever left over I guess)

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    This is correct. HM06, Dive, is not available in Kalos even to be taught as a move. It's unfortunate because it IS a move, and would be nice to get for that reason alone even if there is no overworld use, but I understand why they cut it out.

That said, I wonder if the dark area around Route 12 and Azure Bay may be put to use in the future. By then, Pokémon will have Dive learned from OR/AS in Z and it would be wise for them to put something in that dark area. They can still use rocks and such to create blockages.

Fantastic, thank you very much for the cofnirmation! So I did some message board surfing and found a list of moves that have been used in the overworld at least once, so I just want to make sure I have the complete list (I wanted to plan some overworld move slaves just in case those moves become useable again in future games)

The moves I found are: Cut, Strength, Fly, Surf, Waterfall, Sweet Scent, Dig, Flash, Rock Smash, Teleport, Defog, Dive, Rock Climb, Secret Power, Headbutt, Whirlpool, Milk Drink and Softboiled (Although those last two aren't that important to put on a pokemon) and from what I gather from you, Headbutt, Defog and Whirlpool have no use currently, but Rock Climb (if I remember correctly) can be used in Hoenn (as can Secret Power for the Secret Bases), so five of those moves I may not bother with, but as I said I just want to make sure I have all the overworld moves so I can future proof myself.

Okay, so based on these, I picked 4 overworld move slaves (can't call them HM slaves since they're not all HM moves) but I wanted to group the moves into similar groupings rather than be too random a collection of moves, so if people can suggest alternate groupings or alternate pokemon to get groups of moves that fit in better with each other that would be great!

Lapras: Surf, Waterfall, Whirlpool, Dive (Water travel)
    Bibarel: Strength, Dig, Rock Smash, Rock Climb (Caves and obstacles)
    Tropius: Fly, Cut, Sweet Scent, Headbutt (No particular theme, outdoors and obstacles maybe?)
    Xatu: Flash, Teleport, Defog, Secret Power (Definitely no theme, just whatever left over I guess)
    Only Surf shows a Pokémon. As for Rhyhorn, you ride it on Route 12 (and in quite a wide area). Gogoat is a shuttle in Lumiose, and is automatic.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Is there a device that allows IV hacking currently available? I ask because I am breeding a Litleo and it was marked as 5IV but when I started breeding the offspring had as few as 2 31 IV stats, so I just levelled it up to level 100 and ran it's stats through a calculator and it's stats were all 30/28/30/30/30/30 and it just seems like such a weird number to stop at, especially for 5 stats

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Is there a device that allows IV hacking currently available? I ask because I am breeding a Litleo and it was marked as 5IV but when I started breeding the offspring had as few as 2 31 IV stats, so I just levelled it up to level 100 and ran it's stats through a calculator and it's stats were all 30/28/30/30/30/30 and it just seems like such a weird number to stop at, especially for 5 stats
    That particular person either:
    a) Didn't know that those icons are usually for 31 IVs exclusively, or;
    b) For his own records, only marked the highest stats.

It's possible he also goes for 30s, not 31s. Interesting thing to do. But with multiple of N's Pokémon available (I've been meaning to clone those, I should get on that), it's easy to go for all 30s as well, just the same as all 31s. For starters, N's Pokémon are all 30s.

Years
  • Cheats or not? Kyogre Sheer Cold.

So today i battled some random person, at first i thought well she has a Kyogre and the rest of her team is crap so this should be peice of cake. I sent out banded Tyranitar and she sent out Kyogre. Drizzle went up fist, then sandstream. Note it incredibly hard to make Sheer Cold hit during sand storm. I go for the Stone Edge, and she goes straight for the Sheer Cold, it out speeds and HITS! KOd my Tyranitar, at first i was like Wtf (what the fuzzies) ;) then i thought, must jave been sheer "luck" lmao, so i sent out RegiRock, i go for the rock slide and she goes for Sheer Cold AGAIN! I was like no way! It hit again! Mind you this is in sand storm! I was like this has to be super lucky or super cheater, so i sent out my Steelix once again she goes straight for it, thank the gods since it had sturdy it wouldnt work but i would have hit again if i didnt, so super long story short is, could she be cheating or do you think that was legit bad luck?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back