• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
Years
  • 3ds friend code question

Okay, So me and my friend both put in our friend codes on the friend menu. We wanted to do a pokemon battle but can't because we don't see each other on the in-game friend list for pokemon Y. Can someone clarify any answers and directions for me? thanks

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Okay, So me and my friend both put in our friend codes on the friend menu. We wanted to do a pokemon battle but can't because we don't see each other on the in-game friend list for pokemon Y. Can someone clarify any answers and directions for me? thanks

Try connecting to the Internet.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Okay, So me and my friend both put in our friend codes on the friend menu. We wanted to do a pokemon battle but can't because we don't see each other on the in-game friend list for pokemon Y. Can someone clarify any answers and directions for me? thanks

if you just recently added eachother, keep an eye out on the "Passerby" list, sometimes for me if i add someone fresh, they dont get added to the friends list but show up on passerby list, and usually wont get put up to the friends list until your game decides to refresh/update the lists (which is about once every 15 minutes?).

another thing you can do is tell your friend to turn off pokemon x/y and you do the same (exit it completely). then reopen pokemon x/y and reconnect to the internet. hopefully this should refresh the list.

And of course, verify and make sure you entered the code correctly on your DS.. they should show up as a registered friend, not a Provisional friend (pending add).

Deceit

Toxic.
    Years
  • also, what does STAB mean?
    STAB stands for Same Type Attack Bonus, which refers to the boost in power gained when a pokémon uses a move that shares a type with the pokémon using it. STAB increases the move's power by 50%.

For example, a Pidgey using the move Tackle.
    Tackle normally(hehe) has a power of 50, but since it shares the Normal typing with Pidgey(Normal/Flying), it's power would be increased to 75.
    If it used Gust(power 40), the attack's power would go from 40 to 60.

Just a note, the ability Adaptability increases this STAB boost by 100%. Meaning a move with 80 power would become 160, and so on.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Question...
    Let me use Lucario as an example.

According to serebii.net, Drain Punch can be taught to Lucario from the Move Tutor in B2/W2.
    If we got a hold of a Riolu/Lucario with Drain Punch, can that move be passed down to their offsprings in X/Y ?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Question...
    Let me use Lucario as an example.

According to serebii.net, Drain Punch can be taught to Lucario from the Move Tutor in B2/W2.
    If we got a hold of a Riolu/Lucario with Drain Punch, can that move be passed down to their offsprings in X/Y ?

Drain Punch isn't one of the egg moves of Riolu and Lucario. Even if it was, I wouldn't recommend it because the raw power of Close Combat can't be beat compared to the healing of Drain Punch.

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • In order to complete my National Pokedex and get the Shiny Charm, do I need to have caught every pokemon or just seen them?

Not sure whether I need to be bothering with the Pokemon in my dex that I've seen but not caught.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    In order to complete my National Pokedex and get the Shiny Charm, do I need to have caught every pokemon or just seen them?

Not sure whether I need to be bothering with the Pokemon in my dex that I've seen but not caught.

You need to catch them too. The Pokemon that can only be obtained through events aren't necessary though (I think these are Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect and the three unreleased Kalos legendaries).

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • You need to catch them too. The Pokemon that can only be obtained through events aren't necessary though (I think these are Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys, Manaphy, Phione, Darkrai, Shaymin, Arceus, Victini, Keldeo, Meloetta, Genesect and the three unreleased Kalos legendaries).

Great, thank you!

It's been a while since I've tried to complete a Pokedex.

Years
  • Pokemon X and Y Competitive help needed

Hello everyone, I have always loved Pokemon games and have traveled and conquered all of them since Pokemon Yellow. Recently I have a craving to get into competitive battles. The only problem is that I don't know where to start. I have been looking up multiple guides but they seem to just frustrate me and get me more lost.

I have never really IV or EV trained or breed for perfect stats, nor do I have a clue to how. I keep hearing you need a Male and female with perfect stats and natures/abilities and I just don't know where to start. I literally know nothing about natures or IV/EVs

If anyone can please enlighten me and give me a few tips or even start point I would greatly appreciate it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
  • Is it possible to store one of every Pokémon in X/Y? I just checked and with 15 boxes, we'd need to be storing ~48 Pokémon in each box, but we only have the space for 30. Is there a way to increase your number of boxes above 15?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Is it possible to store one of every Pokémon in X/Y? I just checked and with 15 boxes, we'd need to be storing ~48 Pokémon in each box, but we only have the space for 30. Is there a way to increase your number of boxes above 15?

It's possible, yes. Deposit 1 Pokemon in each of the boxes you have and leave the PC. Come back in and you'll have more boxes. The most boxes you can have is 30.

UchihaDan

Feel free to add me :)
    Years
  • So I'm going to start Pokemon X tomorrow (If my 3DS arrives), and I would like to ask the following questions:

Which starter pokemon should I choose and which is the most popular and which do you see the most when playing on WiFi?

Any replies are much appreciated! Thanks. :D

εcho.

The silver ninetales
    Years
  • So I'm going to start Pokemon X tomorrow (If my 3DS arrives), and I would like to ask the following questions:

Which starter pokemon should I choose and which is the most popular and which do you see the most when playing on WiFi?

I see Greninja the most in Wifi battles (though mostly with the hidden ability, Protean).
    Delphox appears from time to time too.
    I rarely see Chesnaught at all.

Having tried out all three myself, I would have to say Froakie is definitely my favourite and, from what I've seen, seems to be the most popular.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

Fennekin has high Special Attack and good Speed, but has a somewhat shallow movepool. It also has the best gym match ups (though it struggles against Grant), but is the least competitively viable out of the Kalos starters.

Froakie has high Speed and decent offenses and movepool. It's so-so against the Gym Leaders (upon evolving into Greninja, it struggles against Korrina, Ramos, Clemont and Valerie).

Chespin has good Attack and Defense and is the slowest out of the starters. It does get a bunch of early-game coverage moves, though.

If I were you, I'd read this article for more insight: http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue32/starters-of-kalos

Edit: the starters come with Overgrow (Chespin), Blaze (Fennekin) and Torrent (Froakie); you won't have access to ones with their Dream World/Hidden abilities until the post-game, where you can catch their middle evolutions in the Friend Safari, assuming you register the right people in your 3DS.

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I was in like a big Multi battle group a minute ago, and they said I "Slay" and asked me to "Slay".
    What do they mean by "Slay"?

Also who counters Sableye? Bane of my exsistance, even though I have one on my team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I was in like a big Multi battle group a minute ago, and they said I "Slay" and asked me to "Slay".
    What do they mean by "Slay"?

Also who counters Sableye? Bane of my exsistance, even though I have one on my team.

1. I have no idea.
    2. Flash Fire users like Heatran and Chandelure can counter Sableye nicely, as they absorb Will-o-Wisp with Flash Fire to power up their Fire STABs. Fairies, like Sylveon, also counter Sableye.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • IV's for Shiny Pokemon

Thanks for taking the time to check my thread out! I hope I posted in the correct forum. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding Shiny Pokemon.

1) Do Shiny Pokemon usually have inherently higher IV's when found versus regular Pokemon?
    2) Can breeding for a Shiny yield better IV's for a Shiny Pokemon?
    3) Are bred Shiny Pokemon IV's superior to the IV's of Shiny Pokemon found in the wild?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Thanks for taking the time to check my thread out! I hope I posted in the correct forum. Anyway, I have a few questions regarding Shiny Pokemon.

1) Do Shiny Pokemon usually have inherently higher IV's when found versus regular Pokemon?
    2) Can breeding for a Shiny yield better IV's for a Shiny Pokemon?
    3) Are bred Shiny Pokemon IV's superior to the IV's of Shiny Pokemon found in the wild?

Shinyness is not connected to IVs, thus the answer to 1) is no (assuming random encounter). When you breed for a shiny (or any Pokemon for that matter), if the parents have good IVs and a Destiny Knot, etc. etc. then they may possibly have better IVs, so the answer to 2/3 is possibly.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • 1) No, but many players hunt for shiny Pokemon via Pokeradar chaining, where at a chain of 40, your shiny odds are maximized and the Pokemon you encounter can have some flawless IVs. Another way players hunt for shinies is in the Friend Safari. Pokemon in the Friend Safari are guaranteed to have at least two flawless IVs. So, these two methods may give you a shiny Pokemon with higher IVs than say, randomly finding a shiny Pokemon on the third route.

2) If you breed two Pokemon with good IVs, where one parent holds the Destiny Knot, then yeah the infant will likely have above average or superior IVs.

3) Depends on the IVs of the two parent Pokemon.

Also, there is a Quick Questions and Answers thread for these kind of small questions, so I'll be moving this there.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back