• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    is there ANY way to teach a Kalos Rotom Signal Beam? I see that is is one of it's special moves from Dream World, but was wondering if it was at all possible for one found in Kalos to learn the moves. Also, how does it get it's special moves via it's alternate forms? Do you get teh option to teach it when it changes form, or do you have to change form and then go to a move relearner to learn the signature move of each individual form? Also, I am going to be breeding to get all 5 forms, so can I interact with all the items in the lab or do I only get the choice of one at a time even if I have multiple Rotoms?

You get one for each. I've done full teams of Rotom in every game its available in. So if you go in with 5 Rotoms, assuming Gen 6 didn't change it, each of the 5 Rotoms can possess one of the appliances. Those appliances can't be used again until that rotom gives up that appliance though so only one of each form can exist I believe.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    oo oo where do I get a Rotom and where is this lab?!

Rotom can be found in the garbage cans of the Lost Hotel (on Tuesdays only, I think). Or you could get one in a trade from someone here on PC. I'm sure someone's got a spare Rotom.

The lab is Professor Sycamore's lab. Go to the 2nd floor, and in the bottom right corner is a bunch of boxes filled with appliances.

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Does using a Level 1 O-Power help you unlock Level 3, or does it have to be Level 2?

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • I have a Smeargle, and I want to teach it Shell Smash. Where can I find a Pokemon to battle against that knows Shell Smash so that my Smeargle can Sketch it?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have a Smeargle, and I want to teach it Shell Smash. Where can I find a Pokemon to battle against that knows Shell Smash so that my Smeargle can Sketch it?

Binacle has it as a starting move, though you'll need to use a Heart Scale with the Move Relearner in Dendemille to make it relearn it. Other Pokemon who can learn Shell Smash are listed here. Here's what I did:
    -Go to Restaurant Le Nah in Lumiose with Smeargle and the Pokemon with the move you want in the lead slots.
    -Do the double battles in Restaurant Le Nah; it doesn't matter if you hit the target turns or not. Have the Shell Smasher use Shell Smash, then target that Pokemon with Smeargle's Sketch.
    -Rinse and repeat for other moves you want Smeargle to have.

Shrew

is a Shrew
    Years
  • Amaze Mulch is created with one Kee (or Maranga) Berry, along with two other random berries. I want to grow more Kee Berries. Will it be worth investing one Kee Berry for mulch in order to grow more Kee Berries with Amaze Mulch?

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • I'm currently breeding for a 5-6 perfect IV Froakie and all has been going well so far. I'm using an Outstanding Ditto with 2 perfect IV's and an Outstanding male Froakie with the Nature I want and 4 Perfect IV's. I'm having trouble getting the ability Protean on the children. Is there a way I can force the nature onto a child? Will I eventually get one with Protean? I am using Everstones and Destiny Knot by the way.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm currently breeding for a 5-6 perfect IV Froakie and all has been going well so far. I'm using an Outstanding Ditto with 2 perfect IV's and an Outstanding male Froakie with the Nature I want and 4 Perfect IV's. I'm having trouble getting the ability Protean on the children. Is there a way I can force the nature onto a child? Will I eventually get one with Protean? I am using Everstones and Destiny Knot by the way.

There's no way to force the ability on to the offspring; it depends on chance. And does your Froakie have Protean in the first place?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I'm currently breeding for a 5-6 perfect IV Froakie and all has been going well so far. I'm using an Outstanding Ditto with 2 perfect IV's and an Outstanding male Froakie with the Nature I want and 4 Perfect IV's. I'm having trouble getting the ability Protean on the children. Is there a way I can force the nature onto a child? Will I eventually get one with Protean? I am using Everstones and Destiny Knot by the way.

Does the Froakie already have Protean? If not you will never get it. Other than that I think it HAS to be a male to pass with a Ditto, i think someone said female will pass as well, but I've had 0 successes testing that out myself. if you manage to get either a male with protean (assuming the mom has it as well) and it has more than 2 IVs that are perfect, I would then suggest you replace the Male (or female assuming the other Froakie is male) with the ditto to better your chances. The more perfects you have the better your chances of more successful inheritances.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • @PlatinumDude:

Hey whats up platinum? The Froakie does not have Protean. Earlier during the breeding the Froakie I was using did have Protean but it had stronger babies with Torrent, so I decided to use the best one which had torrent because I figured they could still have Protean babies since they seem to have random abilities.
    There's no way to force the ability on to the offspring; it depends on chance. And does your Froakie have Protean in the first place?

Ok so I have an outstanding potential male froakie with maxed HP, Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. He has the nature I want but doesn't have Protean ability. I only have one superior potential female froakie with maxed Hp and Speed. She has the nature I wan't but also doesn't have Protean. I do have a few male froakies who do have protean and the nature I wan't, but they don't have the best IV's. Where should I start to salvage this situation so I can get Protean back into the good gene pool?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • @PlatinumDude:

Hey whats up platinum? The Froakie does not have Protean. Earlier during the breeding the Froakie I was using did have Protean but it had stronger babies with Torrent, so I decided to use the best one which had torrent because I figured they could still have Protean babies since they seem to have random abilities.

Ok so I have an outstanding potential male froakie with maxed HP, Defense, Special Defense, and Speed. He has the nature I want but doesn't have Protean ability. I only have one superior potential female froakie with maxed Hp and Speed. She has the nature I wan't but also doesn't have Protean. I do have a few male froakies who do have protean and the nature I wan't. Where should I start to salvage this situation so I can get Protean back into the good gene pool?

There's no way to breed Hidden/Dream World Abilities to the offspring from parents that have their regular abilities. I'm afraid you'll need to catch a Protean Frogadier from the Friend Safari and try again.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Does the Froakie already have Protean? If not you will never get it. Other than that I think it HAS to be a male to pass with a Ditto, i think someone said female will pass as well, but I've had 0 successes testing that out myself. if you manage to get either a male with protean (assuming the mom has it as well) and it has more than 2 IVs that are perfect, I would then suggest you replace the Male (or female assuming the other Froakie is male) with the ditto to better your chances. The more perfects you have the better your chances of more successful inheritances.

Sorry, but this is just wrong. You must have been very unlucky. Females can definitely pass on the Hidden Ability with Ditto. I have a ton of personal experience to tell me so :P There's at least the same chance of it passing on, possibly higher.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • Umm.. what? I have Protean on some of my Froakies, why can't they have children with Protean as well? I'm pretty positive some of those children that do indeed have Protean we're bred by me minutes ago. None of the froakies I have we're obtained through trading and I caught one with Protean from friend safari.
    There's no way to breed Hidden/Dream World Abilities to the offspring from parents that have their regular abilities. I'm afraid you'll need to catch a Protean Frogadier from the Friend Safari and try again.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Umm.. what? I have Protean on some of my Froakies, why can't they have children with Protean as well? I'm pretty positive some of those children that do indeed have Protean we're bred by me minutes ago. None of the froakies I have we're obtained through trading and I caught one with Protean from friend safari.

Here's how it works:
    -If a female DW/Hidden Ability Pokemon is bred with a male of an appropriate egg group, there's a 60% chance that the offspring will have its DW/Hidden ability.
    -If a male DW/Hidden Ability Pokemon is bred with Ditto, there's a chance the offspring will have the DW/Hidden Ability too.

All in all, it all boils down to persistence until you get an offspring with the IVs and ability you want.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • @PlatinumDude:

Sorry for my constant pestering with all the questions. I'm extremely new at breeding and this is my first serious breeding project.

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong. If I catch a Female froakie with protean in friend safari, and I mate it with my 4 perfect IV male froakie, I may have offspring with Protean? I would put the destiny knot on the female friend safari froakie, and everstone on the outstanding male froakie I've bred to get his Nature.

Few more questions:
    Can I breed a male froakie with protean ability and a female froakie without protean to yield offspring with a chance of having protean?

Here's how it works:
    -If a female DW/Hidden Ability Pokemon is bred with a male of an appropriate egg group, there's a 60% chance that the offspring will have its DW/Hidden ability.
    -If a male DW/Hidden Ability Pokemon is bred with Ditto, there's a chance the offspring will have the DW/Hidden Ability too.

All in all, it all boils down to persistence until you get an offspring with the IVs and ability you want.

Shadeh

KABOOM!
    Years
  • if you just recently added eachother, keep an eye out on the "Passerby" list, sometimes for me if i add someone fresh, they dont get added to the friends list but show up on passerby list, and usually wont get put up to the friends list until your game decides to refresh/update the lists (which is about once every 15 minutes?).

another thing you can do is tell your friend to turn off pokemon x/y and you do the same (exit it completely). then reopen pokemon x/y and reconnect to the internet. hopefully this should refresh the list.

And of course, verify and make sure you entered the code correctly on your DS.. they should show up as a registered friend, not a Provisional friend (pending add).

I can't. My passerby is full of randoms from wonder trade or battling x.x

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years

@PlatinumDude:

Sorry for my constant pestering with all the questions. I'm extremely new at breeding and this is my first serious breeding project.

Ok so correct me if I'm wrong. If I catch a Female froakie with protean in friend safari, and I mate it with my 4 perfect IV male froakie, I may have offspring with Protean? I would put the destiny knot on the female friend safari froakie, and everstone on the outstanding male froakie I've bred to get his Nature.

Few more questions:
    Can I breed a male froakie with protean ability and a female froakie without protean to yield offspring with a chance of having protean?

First off, the middle-evolved starters can be encountered in the Friend Safari, not the base forms. In that case, you can get Frogadier in the Friend Safari.

To answer your question, yes.

You can also pair a male Protean Frogadier you get in the Friend Safari with Ditto.

Bubonic

Amateur Poke Trainer
    Years
  • @PlatinumDude:

Ok, wonderful! I was very worried that my perfect 4 IV Froakie was now completely useless but I should be able to use him with another Froakie/Frogadier. Thanks again.
    First off, the middle-evolved starters can be encountered in the Friend Safari, not the base forms. In that case, you can get Frogadier in the Friend Safari.

To answer your question, yes.

You can also pair a male Protean Frogadier you get in the Friend Safari with Ditto.

Ok so I've been breeding a male froakie with protean and a female froakie for 20+ minutes and all the offspring have no signs of protean yet. =(

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back