• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A (Read First Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I will post this in the correct spot this time:

So I was looking around for info on Ditto in the competative scene...
    Why do people not like him?! His been on my team since day one, it is a solid MVP 6/10 matches and can potentialy be a second Mega if used right. But why do people reccomend avoiding Ditto? I never found a real understandable reason.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • I will post this in the correct spot this time:

Why do people not like him?! His been on my team since day one, it is a solid MVP 6/10 matches and can potentialy be a second Mega if used right. But why do people reccomend avoiding Ditto? I never found a real understandable reason.

even though he can copy pokemon, i find that ditto doesnt seem to "hit as hard" (due to being wrong nature and/or lack of held item) or dies WAY WAY quicker than the real mccoy, due to it's deplorable HP stat that it cant copy, sometimes even one-shoted by normal effective moves or choice band/spec'd ineffective moves.

The HP stat alone is the #1 reason to stay away. base HP is only a measly 48 with only a pathetic max of 155 in battle spot (level 50), while the real mccoy's HP are typically in the 200s and even 300s at level 50.

For example had a ditto sent out to my Arceus, copied it, it was even faster than Arceus as it's extreme speed went off first, it barely put a dent on arceus (maybe less than 10-15% health loss), while Arceus one-shot it. that is because the real Arceus has a higher base HP (120, up to 227 at lv50), also had 255 EVs in HP, all of which Ditto couldn't benefit from.

Also I guess ditto can be good in some situations against certain teams, but it's just my team set up that Ditto doesn't do well against... my team is capable of checking itself.. No matter who Ditto copies on my team, there are others on my team who are capable of taking them down (i.e. Genesect/Mewtwo/Arceus can take down Xerneas, Talonflame/Mewtwo can take down Genesect, Arceus/Xerneas/Mewtwo can take down Talonflame, everyone can take down Smeargle).. also most of my Pokemon are capable of taking themselves down (i.e. Arceus vs Arceus, or my Choice Spec'd Xerneas (doesn't have Geomancy) can take down Xerneas, My Choice Band Genesect can take down Genesect, etc).

Last edited:

AshtheIVth

I want Kingdom Hearts 3 now!!
    Years
  • So I am looking to restart pokemon X, i was planning on banking all the pokemon i want saved, a lot of them. How soon can i access pokemon bank after restarting? Is it like trading where i need to progress to a certain point in the game? Or is it right away?

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    There's something plundering me lately;

So if I buy my 3DS/2DS from a local store and the it was region free, will I able to play X or Y or it's going to lock me up and waste my money?

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I will post this in the correct spot this time:

Ditto is amazing, it's a permanent member of my team too. I think the problem is people don't understand properly how it works and how to use it. For example, sorrowdemonica is wrong, Nature doesn't matter on Ditto, since it copies the exact stats of the opponent (so it essentially copies their Nature). While it's true that it doesn't copy HP, that shouldn't matter if it's used in the right situation, since you should only be bringing it out against fast sweepers. Bringing it out against Arceus is just foolish.

Something else people forget is that it copies any stat changes too, so if the opponent has managed to use Swords Dance / Dragon Dance etc and is sweeping through your entire team, Ditto will stop it dead in its tracks and probably cause you to end up sweeping THEM instead.

So I am looking to restart pokemon X, i was planning on banking all the pokemon i want saved, a lot of them. How soon can i access pokemon bank after restarting? Is it like trading where i need to progress to a certain point in the game? Or is it right away?

You just need to get the Pokedex, which happens within a minute or two of starting the game (when you first enter Aquacorde Town).

There's something plundering me lately;

So if I buy my 3DS/2DS from a local store and the it was region free, will I able to play X or Y or it's going to lock me up and waste my money?

I don't think it's possible to get a completely region-free 3DS. If it's advertised as "region-free", what it probably means is it has been tweaked so that it will play games from any region. The 3DS itself will still have a region associated to it. As for whether it will mess up X and Y... I can't say. Probably not, but I wouldn't risk it personally.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Ditto is amazing, it's a permanent member of my team too. I think the problem is people don't understand properly how it works and how to use it. For example, sorrowdemonica is wrong, Nature doesn't matter on Ditto, since it copies the exact stats of the opponent (so it essentially copies their Nature). While it's true that it doesn't copy HP, that shouldn't matter if it's used in the right situation, since you should only be bringing it out against fast sweepers. Bringing it out against Arceus is just foolish.

Something else people forget is that it copies any stat changes too, so if the opponent has managed to use Swords Dance / Dragon Dance etc and is sweeping through your entire team, Ditto will stop it dead in its tracks and probably cause you to end up sweeping THEM instead.

I think part of the reason why people don't use Ditto that much is because its a bit situational. Imposter Ditto isn't that great if it transforms into a stall poke or something not offensively oriented. It also need a Choice Scarf since you don't wanna rely on the speed tie going in your favor all the time and its HP is so bad it doesn't have time to use a set-up move. So that limits its useability It also comes off as real gimmicky to a lot of people, and many people don't like the sound of "gimmicky".

I'm not saying Ditto is bad, just that its kinda unreliable, and people generally prefer to use a poke that's a bit more reliable on their teams.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    I think part of the reason why people don't use Ditto that much is because its a bit situational. Imposter Ditto isn't that great if it transforms into a stall poke or something not offensively oriented. It also need a Choice Scarf since you don't wanna rely on the speed tie going in your favor all the time and its HP is so bad it doesn't have time to use a set-up move. So that limits its useability It also comes off as real gimmicky to a lot of people, and many people don't like the sound of "gimmicky".

I'm not saying Ditto is bad, just that its kinda unreliable, and people generally prefer to use a poke that's a bit more reliable on their teams.

Yeah, Choice Scarf is a must, and it should never be brought out against anything but an all-out offensive Pokemon. But then most people tend to have one of those on their team. And if not, that's what Team Preview is for. Personally, mine tends to be used mostly as a counter for Mega Kangaskhan and Talonflame, as well as the offensive Dragon-types.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I'm keeping my Ditto, I got swept by a Mega Blaziken. His Ampibom replacement did nothing but land one Fake-out. If Ditto was here I would have won using a speed boost, brave bird spamming Ditto.

New question:

Does rain dance take effect on Pokemon with Swift Swim on the same turn it is used, or the turn after?
    I'm planning a rain dance team you see...

Years
  • The turn after. According to Serebii: "When rainy, The Pokémon's Speed doubles. However, Speed will not double on the turn weather becomes Heavy Rain."

Hope that answers your question.

Years
  • The turn after. According to Serebii: "When rainy, The Pokémon's Speed doubles. However, Speed will not double on the turn weather becomes Heavy Rain."

Hope that answers your question.

In addition, the same applies for Sand Rush and Chlorophyll when their respective weather effects are activated. The Speed boost doesn't come into effect until the next turn.

Years
  • And here's a question I have myself: how can you delete battles from the Battle Maison and such that you have on your Vs. Recorder? Because a while back, I had this horrendous battle there that I got completely wrecked in in the most bulls*** way ever (a Gengar completely shut me down by repeatedly hitting with Hypnosis and I kept staying asleep the maximum amount of turns, and it had a Focus Sash and killed my Mega Gyarados with Nightmare just before I would have woken up), and when it asked me if I wanted to save it to my Vs. Recorder, I accidentally selected Yes, so it's on my record now. And I want it off right now. Is there any way to delete Battle Maison battles and such?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    And here's a question I have myself: how can you delete battles from the Battle Maison and such that you have on your Vs. Recorder? Because a while back, I had this horrendous battle there that I got completely wrecked in in the most bulls*** way ever (a Gengar completely shut me down by repeatedly hitting with Hypnosis and I kept staying asleep the maximum amount of turns, and it had a Focus Sash and killed my Mega Gyarados with Nightmare just before I would have woken up), and when it asked me if I wanted to save it to my Vs. Recorder, I accidentally selected Yes, so it's on my record now. And I want it off right now. Is there any way to delete Battle Maison battles and such?

Find the video on your Vs Recorder and select it. You should see 3 buttons: a play video button, a button with 2 pokeballs, and one with a trash can. The trash can is the delete button.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    How do I set up Internet settings for Black 2 on my 3ds? I tried connecting with the regular 3Ds Internet settings and in game it just tells me to set up Nintendo wifi in Internet settings which I already did. So I then go into Nintendo ds Internet settings, Nintendo wifi connection setup, and when I search for an access point it simply says "The access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS." Which is fine because I'm at my brother in law's house, but even when I turn my phone's hotspot on the ds Internet settings the ds settings gives me the same message. Even though my 3ds Internet settings are fine to access both router and phone perfectly fine. What's worse, my nephew never used black 2 with Internet so he has no idea what to do. So can someone explain it to me like I never used a computer before? Thanks

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • How do I set up Internet settings for Black 2 on my 3ds? I tried connecting with the regular 3Ds Internet settings and in game it just tells me to set up Nintendo wifi in Internet settings which I already did. So I then go into Nintendo ds Internet settings, Nintendo wifi connection setup, and when I search for an access point it simply says "The access point's security settings are not supported by the Nintendo DS." Which is fine because I'm at my brother in law's house, but even when I turn my phone's hotspot on the ds Internet settings the ds settings gives me the same message. Even though my 3ds Internet settings are fine to access both router and phone perfectly fine. What's worse, my nephew never used black 2 with Internet so he has no idea what to do. So can someone explain it to me like I never used a computer before? Thanks

There isn't any special setup for black 2 (shouldn't be).. it's the same as X&Y.. if it works for X&Y should work for Black 2.. however do note that alot of online services on black/white are permanently disabled now (don't exist anymore) since Gamefreak/Nintendo cut services back on January 14th. These include rating battles, dream world, entherlink (sp?), tucking in pokemon, Union Room, and most of the C-Gear stuff, etc.. only online services that still work are direct battles, trading, and GTS pretty much. so if you're trying to use a service other than those and get that message, that is why. but also make sure to enable C-Gear communication too when you first load up Black 2 when it asks.

Xerneas_X

Raven
    Years
  • Does the Shiny Charm affect the Masuda method? I know it did in B/W2 I only ask because the description says "Wild"

Yes it does.. blame the odd reason why they decided to change the English translation and included "wild", however on the Japanese version of X&Y it has the same description from B/W.

Here's proof of this:

Spoiler:
    As you can see, the Japanese B/W and X/Y descriptions are the same.

And in reply to the comment below :P it's pretty useless to use statistics or "test" for.. since it's always 1 out of 1024 or whatever.. so that means one individual may encounter 1 shiny out of every 3 eggs, while another individual can hatch 10,000+ eggs and still never hatch a shiny, as for each individual egg, the odds are still 1 out of 1024 chance.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back