• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen X/Y Quick Q&A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Ok ill try to explain it like if you had 2 parents with 5 ivs. One lacks defense and the other attack. Just one holding a DK makes gives the chance that 5 ivs will be inherited, so out of the 12 of the parents 5 will be passes down. If chance wasnt nice, you could inherit 3 ivs and the 2 that the parents dont have maxed. that would be the 5. The last one is dedided by chance. Till this moment Im not sure about the power items, some people claim that they dont work together while other do so Im not sure and have not tested it myself.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Can someone please tell me who I need to breed Skarmory with in order to get a Skarmory with Stealth Rocks, please?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Can someone please tell me who I need to breed Skarmory with in order to get a Skarmory with Stealth Rocks, please?

You can't breed a Skarmory with Stealth Rock in X/Y, at least not until the PokeBank comes out. But even then, you'd have to breed it with a Skarmory or Aerodactyl that learned Stealth Rock in the 4th Gen.

Fortunately, Skarmory learns Spikes at level 28. So go with that instead.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    You see, I have some Pokémon on my Black 2 that I wanna transfer to X/Y that...aren't completely legit. Don't look at me like that. I have a few Pokémon that were created via PokeGen or Pokesav or whatever the hell people used. They were made on a Gen 4 game, then sent to Gen 5 and traded to me (except for a Hydreigon). Then I have a few Pokémon who's IVs I altered, like my Zekrom and Lapras. And then there's that shiny Charizard I have that wasn't a totally legit shiny.

So...would these guys be able to make it to my Y version?

I'm not sure, but you may be able to get those Pokémon transferred somehow. You definitely won't be able to transfer strongly-hacked Pokémon though, such as a Machamp with Speed Boost, a Scizor with Blast Burn, a Blastoise that knows Solarbeam, a Wonder Guard Gallade, and so on. d:

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    How do I increase the rate of getting an egg in daycare? My pokemon never like each other anymore, I'm lucky if I get an egg every 10 minutes.
    It's impossible to mesuda or IV breed at this pace!

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    How do I increase the rate of getting an egg in daycare? My pokemon never like each other anymore, I'm lucky if I get an egg every 10 minutes.

Have Ditto as one of the parents? o.o
    That always works, for me at least.

And I got a question...
    How can I breed Dittos? >.>
    I have two Dittos, but they don't like each other, says the Egg-giving guy. =/

Years
  • How do I increase the rate of getting an egg in daycare? My pokemon never like each other anymore, I'm lucky if I get an egg every 10 minutes.
    I know that you'll get eggs easier when the two Pokémon are from different trainers (which you most likely do since you use Masuda method) but also of the same species (if I'm not completely wrong).
    If you see all Pokémon in the Kalos dex (and from what I've heard you don't even need to see all the legendaries) you'll receive an Oval charm which has exactly the effect you are looking for (increasing the chances of receiving an egg).

Years
    • Seen Jul 3, 2014
    I'm breeding hitmonlee (Jap) with my female Timburr, they hate each other! I've had like two eggs in 45 minutes, it's frustrating!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Is Spiky Shield a good move for an Adamant Chesnaught, or do I need to replace it with another move like Stone Edge?

I wouldn't go with either of those, personally. Spiky Shield would've been all right if you were planning to use it defensively, but you aren't… are you? :b Stone Edge—it's a really great move, but also a bit risky due to not having hundred-percent accuracy (totally up to you if you want to use it or not, though). Instead, I'd most likely teach it Shadow Claw, Hammer Arm, or Seed Bomb. If it knows these moves already, then I would pick Earthquake.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I wouldn't go with either of those, personally. Spiky Shield would've been all right if you were planning to use it defensively, but you aren't… are you? :b Stone Edge—it's a really great move, but also a bit risky due to not having hundred-percent accuracy (totally up to you if you want to use it or not, though). Instead, I'd most likely teach it Shadow Claw, Hammer Arm, or Seed Bomb. If it knows these moves already, then I would pick Earthquake.
    Mine knows Seed Bomb, Power-Up Punch (soon to be replaced by Hammer Arm), Spiky Shield, and Pain Split (for recovery).

BossBattle

Legend Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2013
    I'm breeding hitmonlee (Jap) with my female Timburr, they hate each other! I've had like two eggs in 45 minutes, it's frustrating!

If you can, try getting the Oval Charm. You can get it by completing the Kalos pokedex (you just have to see them, no need to catch) and talking to Sycamore. The Oval Charm boosts the breeding rate around +20-30%, depending on the pairing.

Also, I'd probably just double check to see the OT for each pokemon are different, because with different OTs and different species (the setup that you have) the rate should be 50% for producing an egg. idk why you're not getting an egg pop up sooner, unless you just happen to be really unlucky with the RNG. :P

Hi All

I'm trying to wrap my head around the whole IV breeding with the Destiny Knot but there seems to be alot of conflicting information out there so can somebody set it straight.

1. Does the Destiny Knot transfer IV's from both parents or just the one holding it?
    2. Does the Destiny Knot have a better chance in giving the baby a perfect IV in a stat if both Parents have the Perfect IV in the same stat?
    3. Do Power Items i.e Power Bracer, Power Band etc work if one parent holds the Power Item and the other holds the Destiny Knot?

1. Does the Destiny Knot transfer IV's from both parents or just the one holding it?

The DK transfers IVs from both parents i.e. it randomly chooses 5 stats, and then randomly chooses either the father's or mother's IVs to be passed down for each of those 5 stats. It basically passes 5/12 IVs of both parents.

2. Does the Destiny Knot have a better chance in giving the baby a perfect IV in a stat if both Parents have the Perfect IV in the same stat?
    Yes, definitely. To detail the example above, say the DK decides to pass on the HP stat. It will then proceed to choose between either the father or mother to pass on their HP stat. If both parents have flawless 31 IVs in their HP stat, then the child will be guaranteed to have a flawless HP stat as well. This is because choosing either parent can only result in picking the flawless 31 IVs.

Which is essentially the basis for IV breedingbreeding superior parents results in superior offspring (most of the time, you still gotta be lucky with the RNG sometimes lol).

3. Do Power Items i.e Power Bracer, Power Band etc work if one parent holds the Power Item and the other holds the Destiny Knot?
    Afaik, yes the power item will work in conjunction with the DK. This item setup should guarantee 1 stat's IVs (of the parent holding the power item) to be passed down, along with 4 randomly chosen stat's IVs of either parent.

For example, say you have this setup:
    [FONT=&quot]-♂Eevee[/FONT]
    *Power Weight
    -[FONT=&quot]♀Eevee
    [/FONT]*Destiny Knot

The Power Weight will force the HP IVs from the father to be passed down to the child. While the DK will choose 4 stats (instead of the normal 5) to pass down IVs from either parent, excluding the stat of the power item; in this case it was the HP stat.
    The power item basically takes the place of 1 stat out of the 5 stats the DK passes down. Although I haven't found official evidence for this item setup, it appears to work for me so far.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2013
    I need help exchanging a lucario with another Pokemon!

I've beat this game twice, and now running on my third time,
    Sad thing is, I've used a lucario both times and now again! Does anyone have an idea what I can switch
    Him for? I'm by the third gym, and I'd appreciate it if it wern't to under leveled.. And I have a dragon type and a psychic type, ( plus ya know, electric, fire, water etc, ) does anyone have an idea?

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017

just to make sure, you know that eggs come as a result of steps taken, not time passed, right? The more you walk/rollerskate/bike around the more often you'll get an egg. Also, you need to leave the daycare route entirely. You can still keep coming back, but if you hang around on the route, the guy never turns around.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    You can still keep coming back, but if you hang around on the route, the guy never turns around.

That was true in previous generations, but in my experience in X and Y you just need to go far enough away from him that he disappears off the screen.

What is the fastest way to get shinies?

Well, ideally you would complete the National Dex and get the Shiny Charm, which triples the encounter rate for shinies (or increases it to 1/1024 when using the Masuda method). But since it's impossible to complete the National Dex before Pokemon Bank comes out, you'll have to settle for just using the Masuda breeding method (https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Masuda_method). Or alternatively you could try to find shinies on the GTS. But you'd have to give up some good Pokemon for those.

Some people also say that the Friend Safari has an increased chance of finding shinies. But i have no idea whether there's a higher chance than using the Masuda method.

I've beat this game twice, and now running on my third time,
    Sad thing is, I've used a lucario both times and now again! Does anyone have an idea what I can switch
    Him for? I'm by the third gym, and I'd appreciate it if it wern't to under leveled.. And I have a dragon type and a psychic type, ( plus ya know, electric, fire, water etc, ) does anyone have an idea?

Hawlucha is a pretty neat Fighting-type that you can catch on Route 10, i'd say that would make a good replacement. Or if you'd prefer a Steel-type, you could catch a Mawile in Glittering Cave or a Honedge on Route 6, both of which would make great additions to any team.

Last edited:

BossBattle

Legend Hunter
    Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2013
    What is the fastest way to get shinies?

At this point in time, I would have to say chain fishing. However these are my top 3 fastest, and the pros and cons for each.

1)Chain fishing:
    +Very simple and easy to do. Though you still have to be a bit attentive to reel in pokes.
    +Reliable. The rate for encountering a shiny increases with every successful hook reeled in.
    +Not as time consuming at all compared to other methods. I have caught some in less than 30 mins.
    -Limits the shiny's you can get to only fish-able pokes.

2)Pokeradar:
    +Reliable. The rate for encountering a shiny increases with every successful radar encounter. Also, if you haven't got a shiny and manage to chain 40 encountersyou can just keep resetting the radar until you see a shiny sparkle and be guaranteed a shiny.
    +Depending on your skill, you could chain one in less than an hour.
    -Personally, I feel this is probably the most difficult method for obtaining shiny pokes. There are quite a few rules to follow, and you actually have to be moderately, if not fully, attentive and know what you're doing to get results.
    -Limits the shiny's you can get to only pokes found in grass/flowers in the wild.

3)Friend Safari:
    +Very simple and easy to do.
    +Not so reliable, but from what I've seen and read about the FS, it has a greater chance for a shiny than the other methods; not including the previous 2.
    +You dont have to breed or hatch eggs (Masuda Method) for an increase in chance for a shiny, so you save time. But the time can still vary widely.
    -Limits the shiny's you can get to only pokes found in Friend Safaris.
    -Limited to how many friends you have, and what pokes are in their safaris.

Pick your poison. :P

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2018
    Pokemon from 4th gen or earlier?

i know that with the pokemon bank you can transfer from black/white 1 and 2 to the new x and y but i spent 90% of my time on gen 1,2,4 (heartgold) will the pokemon still be usable if i trade accross from heart gold --> white 2 ----> poke bank? / straight to my copy of X.
    or any rumours of allowing earlier gens of the poke bank in future?

thanks for any help in advance.

iTeruri

iAm
    Years
  • You'll be able to transfer any Pokémon from a gen V game to the PokéBank, regardless of what generation they come from. However, Pokémon that you got through cheating/hacking may be blocked.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back