• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

YGO Getting Too Competitive?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    Hello all! A couple months ago I began playing Duel Monsters again and got my collection back up to a whole one inch binder full :D (I know, not a lot lol). Soon after, I went to a pre-release at my local game shop, carrying my trust 5D's starter deck, hoping to play in a friendly, not extremely competitive environment (keep in mind, these duels were the first I've participated in since I was probably twelve and I'm sixteen now).

I get in, and manage to lose every single duel, and have a twelve year old yell at me every time I do something illegal instead of trying to help. I decided after that to simply not go to locals, seeing as I had no idea what I was doing and everyone was simply trying to win.

Now, back when I was twelve and my cousin played with me, the game was addicting. The pre-releases we went to used to be awesome, everyone helping everyone else out as much as possible.

Now with more powerful cards and the origional players being older, I feel the game has gotten extremely competitive and almost lost that fun factor that used the be the staple of the game.

What do you all think?
    (Sorry for all that text)

.hack

skunkape
    Years
  • I simply think it's more competitive for your age group, sure when you're young the game is much less competitive and more about the fun of the game and lets face it, you usually suck. Then you get, better, get strategies and combos and the simple fact is, since you tried that much harder making your deck, you to win more, I don't play yugioh any more, I'm 15, I played a lot 11 through 13 and was never really that good, but this is just my theory, I see people at school playing and it's a different game, oh well, it's probably good, but I'm not going down that road again, I doubt my answer helped at all, I hope you find the answer you're looking for ;D

Years
  • That's what to expect from young obnoxious kids. That's why I don't play anyone younger than 13, unless I've been friends with them for a while.

However, I remember getting in a fight with a 16 year old because I beat him in a very close game, and the dude wanted to complain that I did an illegal move(Which CLEARLY wasn't), and he wanted to go into nerd rage. Not fun....

Point is, it's not always age, it depends on the person you play with. If you know some young kid that cries over a game, don't play with him. Likewise, if you find some ****-diesel 16+ year old dude that plays YGO, and wants to get all buck because he lost a damn game by 900 damn LP's, just do what I did and be smart about it. And if that doesn't work, take his cards, and throw them in his face.

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    Sorry to break the bubble, but this is a discussion about whether or not YGO is too competitive, not "complain about obnoxious pre-teens (which they are, but regardless)"

Personally, i think (besides the fact that you're using the 5D's Starter deck which isn't really up to par for competitiveness or most other decks at that) that Yugioh has come to revolve around a very constrained number of decks that really can't be matched up with well. As a result, people wanting to win really badly thus copy that deck and win using that way, and etc. same goes for most card games actually. I would recommend that you introduce yourself as playing a more casual deck than competitive and seeing if they have a deck of that type or something...also, you should probably add that you've just gotten back into the game. Which all the rule modifications for the 5D's sets, people might be more willing to help you out....might....

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • The alternative is to quit YGO and play magic, where a decent casual crowd actually exists, with alternative "casual" formats that actually let casual players and experts alike play friendly games (*cough*EDH*cough*). Way better solution than trying to find non-competitive YGO players, it always seems.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2011
    ...Personally, i think (besides the fact that you're using the 5D's Starter deck which isn't really up to par for competitiveness...

After the first three rounds we had a 15 minute break, in which I traded a bunch and had a couple of nice guys (around 17-22, a LOT nicer than the twelve year old lol) help me build a deck I could actually play. They asked what my style was, I responded beat down, and they quickly built me a nice Dino deck which I've sadly yet to test :/.

But yeah, as mentioned by digi-kun, there seems to be like 5 or 6 decks that can be played competitively, otherwise you are outta luck :/. Another reason why I like the traditional format better d:

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
  • Oh god yes, it's getting more competitive and more confusing, I stopped playing about a year or two ago and I recently got back into it. I still don't understand what Tuner and Synchro cards are.

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years

• But yeah, as mentioned by digi-kun, there seems to be like 5 or 6 decks that can be played competitively, otherwise you are outta luck :/. Another reason why I like the traditional format better d:

Traditional Format, eh? You realize that in Traditional, the same decktypes will still succeed, only then they'll be superpowered with Raigeki, Harpie's Feather Duster, Chaos Emperor Dragon, etc. right?

And oh, Painful Choice.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • I think "5 or 6 competitive decks" is being too nice.
    More like 3 real competitive deck, and a few rogue ones that follow.

Also, I find that children under 12 that play Yugioh can be split to two general groups:

1. Spoiled, obnoxious kids that get a monthly allowance of 10K yen, and spend it all on cards.
    They tend to netdeck without thought (thus copying outdated decks), and whine when they lose to a subpar deck due to bad playing.
    These children also have bad manners in general.

2. Kids that buy packs and rummage the cheap cards box, and tend to stray away from cards behind the showcase.
    They build decks within their low budget, and will try to improve their playing skills and make-do with whatever they have, until they save up enough money to buy a playset of money cards.
    The children that belongs to this group tend to be well mannered.

Experience from locals, true story.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • Having been in and out of the competitive scene for a number of years, I can weigh in with a little bit of experience.

First of all, I will further stress a point made earlier on; the number of competitive decks you can run to win tournaments is extremely (1-2, at best) limited. This is because of the nature the card game is based on; because many of its cards don't revolve around a single strategy and its ban lists revolve more around individual cards than entire sets, the metagame's shift is usually menial with each banlist, with players often utilizing the same old crap they've been using since forever (Heavy Storm immediately comes to mind; it's, to my recollection, the longest-running staple that's yet to have been out of competitive decks for longer than a one-list period; the period in which, if I remember correctly, it was banned. Though back then, bans were just being created to stop the insanity that was Yata-Garasu). Therefore, the decks are often 40% based on the actual strategy and 60% based on everything that is logical to run. (Who runs Traps based on strategy? Solemn, Mirror Force, Torrential Tribute, Bottomless, Call...honestly.)

This game has always functioned on this basis since IOC (to my knowledge, at least). Because before the advent of Chaos, players could run more than one decktype with relative success; the majority of developed strategies came later, and Chaos was at its forefront.

My disinterest in the game stems from this very reason; the lack of flexibility and guts that the players show. And rightfully so; the banlist pretty much dictates the things you're supposed to run; if it's restricted or semi'd, it's worth running because it's worth restricting. (Don't even get started on Traditional.)

It started in around 2006, when I went to my first (and last) Regionals; I'd been preparing by building a deck based around the metagame's current top-tier deck: Bazoo Return. My deck, though shaky due to the lack of completion (I'm not made of money, y'know! >_>), was built fairly well, having all of the metagame's most valuable staples (aside from Mirror Force), but I seriously got my ass handed to me there. Anyone playing tier 1 seriously cleaned my clock; the reverse was true for anyone not playing tier 1. I went 2-3, ~87th. Safe to say, for a long while, it was the end of my interest in the game.

I got back into it at the request of friends who admired my extensive knowledge in the game. (Even those who kicked the living crap out of me at Regionals admired my defiance when they thought that fighting a 16 year-old was an easy match because they thought stippancies were simple to bend to their advantage, but oh, were they unpleasantly suprised. Some went so far as to advise I take the level 1 judge test...Which, if I ever get a job at a game store, I full well plan to, despite the fact that I'll probably never play myself unless I get a job at a game store XD) I decided to forego the idea of running traditionally tier-1 methods; it got me nowhere, because my deck was outdated by a year and a half, so I gave up on it, and went for my favorite, most unconventional method ever: Burn.

Of course, everyone has their own way of dealing with burn. The game thinks that it, along with everything not tier 1, is too overpowered (...If you don't follow, fear not. It is this logic that frustrates me with the game to this day, despite the fact that I don't play it.), so the game either restricts the main function(s) of their operation, or, as best seen in the example of burn, releases countermethods.

Despite the omnipresence Prime Material Dragon had against me, I was not worried. Despite the game's ridiculous tendency to screw over everything but what it should, and giving players little room to breathe outside of ridiculously expensive cards that are reprinted and devalued to pennies (only after their time, of course), the game does have its way of countering countermethods. Lava Golem and Volcanic Queen were those answers for me.

I kept fairing very well at locals, consistently placing in the top 8, often times with a fair shot at the top 4. This is because the competition whoars (as my friends call them; they have no right to ruin our fun by being bland and conformist, say my friends...such a high school scene kid answer) always play tier 1 and then pretend like they don't expect to win, or that they're playtesting.

Then, since the competitive players began coming around, and the recession hit the economy, I lost the will to play. I don't have the money to be spending on a game I keep on losing, despite the fact that, if I had the cards, I'd sure as hell be winning.

That is what I hope I've taught anyone reading this. If you're willing to spend the money, play well, get lucky, or play what everyone's playing, or expect to be throwing away your money. Competitively, anyway.

I play Magic now, because there's flexibility within it. But I will never go competitive: I've made that mistake with YuGiOh already, and like I said before, I'm not made of money.

-If you read this, I love you-

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
  • Great point. Though I actually love my Yugioh locals, since it feels a lot like my local FNM sessions.

Semi-competitive, sure. But people tend to create rogue decks more so than winning decks, purely for the fun of it.
    I guess it's good to have players not interested in regionals in some cases.

One problem with Yugioh is the lack of concept for each element/monster type.
    At least if each element/monster type has big pros balanced by big cons, there'll be more deck types.
    I mean, it feels bad how sea serpent/aqua/fish just tends to get bunched together...

The game used to throw out randomly powerful non-archetype monsters, and now they're throwing out powerful archetype monsters.
    Well, at least the focus on archetypes is a definite step forward...

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
  • I read that, what do I win? x3

That might be partially the reason why I never really got into YGO all that much in the first place. I was at a local store with a heavily competitive crowd, which sort of turned me off in having to invest hundreds into YGO for one deck (back in the day when cards like Call of the Haunted would be worth like 50 bucks or something), when I can make several wacky decks for the same price in magic. Same difference, it seems.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • I agree with that.

I used to be real good but i took a 3 year break from playing (started collecting at 11 and playing at 12 before quiting at 13 and then restarted at 16) and when to decided to start playing again almost everything had changed and i was as good as your average noob.

I guess yugioh is like computers nowadays. The best for one year might not be any good when compared to what they'll have next year.

That aside i think they are just milking yugioh for all its worth kinda like pokemon.

Also... whats the point in making a card ultra rare in one set but then relesing the same card as a common in another set? That is what is happening to most cards now.

jakex

poketopia king
    Years
  • man if u are going to copy a deck u r pathetic. The game would be easily less competitive and more addicting that way. The yugioh industry has become a money making deck. The riches deck wins whch usually is the best deck. Shoot my macro deck can crush some rich decks but not all. If this was spam sorry mods for doing that. I am not trying to disrespect this thread.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Gah because of what you said i gotta make a comment about rich decks.

Personally i have no problems with rich decks if its not a carbon copy of another rich deck (Such as the oh so common/powerful bws/glads/ls decks)

That aside i am saving up to purchase a bunch of cards for a couple of decks i am going to make (I've posted on deck i plan to make, check Machines Return)

jasonresno

[fight through it]
    Years
  • I think how big the YGO 'fad' (if you pardon that word) was why people like the OP enjoyed it so much. Everyone just wanted to participate and enjoy it. I loved playing back then but I don't think I could deal with how technical the game has gotten.

DonRoyale

Get on my choppa!
    Years
  • man if u are going to copy a deck u r pathetic.

You are well-paid, decked in swag, and known in the gaming community, but yes, no sarcasm intended, you are still pathetic.

The game would be easily less competitive and more addicting that way. The yugioh industry has become a money making deck. The riches deck wins whch usually is the best deck. Shoot my macro deck can crush some rich decks but not all. If this was spam sorry mods for doing that. I am not trying to disrespect this thread.

They do make the game's best cards difficult to obtain for a reason.

Allow me to come off as one of those war-veteran-poet types, but...

You can have the most powerful weapon at your disposal, but if you can't wield such power properly, even the weakest of your enemies will overcome you.

People can spend, spend, spend, on the latest, most up-to-date deck that will win them whatever tournament they do so please. If they don't play properly, they're going to lose to even the most worthless deck.

I used to go on another forum which was mostly about YuGiOh, and I was well-known for using outside-the-box strategies due to their on-paper appeal and offbeat synergy. (I was one of about three people credited over the internet for pioneering Wilds' Last Turn, when Last Turn was still legal. Force a tie because Wildheart would always live through Last Turn...fufufu)

It's all about the strategy you can come up with. If it works, it works. But the fact of the matter is, there is no originality in the game for the reason I outlined in my tl;dr post: There are cookie cutter cards that every deck virtually requires. Not playing them is just asking for you to get your ass kicked. :V

ÇyänïdëÉX

Dr.banana
    Years
  • Well the game has gotten many rules that are pretty annoying because these kids start reading to much into it and call you out. But think myself that the game HAS been like that since the phantom darkness pack came out. Oh boy did i hate dark armed dragon and did i laugh so much when it was limited and its price went down. Same thing with crush card, some funny times. Some people though do take the game too seriously which is why i also stopped playing at the locals (that and the lack of money and store owner was a thieving opportunists cheat). Now i see the game has become a bit more balance since konami took over and started evening out the playing fields by making most of the expensive cards to be reprinted and limited OR banned. So this in return forces people to be more creative instead of following the very cheap trend of making the top 3 ruling decks which used to be Dark arm synchro, light sworns and zombies. Now some have changed but people always will find new strategies.

In the end i just watch the show and go from time to time to enter...but i really aren't called to the game as much as i used to be back in the early years of yugioh.

Back