• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

YGO: Individual Card Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Actually, I want to move on to another card just because it answers one of Baker's question, probably. I think that I can guess out his "Destiny Hero deck idea."

YGO: Individual Card Discussion

Meet Disc Commander, the heart and center card of the "hand advandage through the roof enough to make even DDT raise an eyebrow": Perfect Circle Monarch!

(somehow I still think of it as more monarch than d-hero though...)

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Yeah, I can easily see why...the probleim is that you need a way to consistently Special Summon it to REALLY get the abuse. And, correct me if I'm wrong (I'll admit to not quite being up-to-par on all the STON & FOTB cards), but methods to trigger its effect are limited to Premature Burial, Call of the Haunted, Destiny Hero-Dreadmaster and Destiny Hero-Captain Tenacious, which are either one-shot or too situational to be reliable. It's an excellent choice for instant tribute, I'll grant that, but otherwise it's lacking quite a bit.

EDIT Oh, wait, I forgot about The Shallow Grave...yeah, definite evil combining that with Granmarg.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Actually, it's currently near invincible among tier 1.5-1 O_O

Because within your list of special summon, you forgot Destiny Hero Fear Monger. Every time fear monger gets rammed or suicide rams into something, it's a Pot of Greed next turn... Premature Burial, The Warrior Returning Alive and Call of the Haunted keeps Fear Monger and Disc Commander going. If you feel up to it, there's always Elemental Hero Ocean who also revives Disc Commander for more pot of greed to go.

Destiny Hero Malicious and Destiny Draw adds to the drawing power of the entire combo, making it the Perfect Circle Monarch deck for its total synergy of destiny draw and disc commander, both of which basically makes a lot of cards into pot of greed.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Because within your list of special summon, you forgot Destiny Hero Fear Monger.

...D'OH! I knew there was probably something missing, but I thought that I had missed a Spell Card or something >.> ...yeah, it goes without saying that something like that would be hard to beat.

All of these decks coming out with high draw power now (DDT, Perfect Circle Monarch) makes me think that Protector of the Sanctuary might see more action in the future...

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Secret Barrel and Roulette Barrel are really pointless... Secret Barrel is good but needs dedicated burn or chain strike to very well. You can tech secret barrel I guess since everyone is going on card frenzy with perfect circle and "T-Hero" and other drawing variants... roulette barrel is just no unless character joey wheeler deck.

Needle wall is far better as tech against 6 samurai... only they swarm that fast and that bad (Crystal Beast just bounce to the backrow, which is where the problem is anyway. Best to try to beat Rainbow Ruins and the backrow cards against Crystal Beast instead of the beasts themselves.) I don't recommand maindecking needle wall...

Marauding Master

Interdimensional.
    Years
    Both three cards suck. The best tech agaisnt Samurai is Needle Ceiling. However Samurai shouldn't be too much of a problem once you live through the first swarm. A good Samurai player will launch at least 2 more though so control is of the essence. Don't label Samurais bad though, they are exceptionally strong this format.

Crystal Beasts just fails though. I never had a problem beating it.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I don't think samurai will really exceed 3 out at the same time unless they are going for the last attack. Needle Ceiling is nice, and probably lightning vortex works too. Samurai usually buffs up against these "no brainer" defense though.

Crystal Beasts have their strong points and that's the massive swarm suddenly. The only thing they are really lacking is probably brute force attack power, and how none of them can take down Cyber Dragon. In this format though, their backrow is (purposely) clogged and spells are no longer a reliable way for monster destruction, the deck is severely weakened...

Marauding Master

Interdimensional.
    Years
    I don't think samurai will really exceed 3 out at the same time unless they are going for the last attack. Needle Ceiling is nice, and probably lightning vortex works too. Samurai usually buffs up against these "no brainer" defense though.

Crystal Beasts have their strong points and that's the massive swarm suddenly. The only thing they are really lacking is probably brute force attack power, and how none of them can take down Cyber Dragon. In this format though, their backrow is (purposely) clogged and spells are no longer a reliable way for monster destruction, the deck is severely weakened...

You have no Samurai tournament experience. It's usually at 4, sometimes 5 to finish. One being in defense usually.

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    You have no Samurai tournament experience. It's usually at 4, sometimes 5 to finish. One being in defense usually.

Yeahhh i think that was a keyword in the sentence /swt
    I did say unless they cleared backrow (or, mirror force got used already) or going to end it right...?

True that I got no tourney experience, because I'm far too cheap to buy cards for a children's card game ^^ (gogo DS)

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2008
    my turn|!!!||||

Well.. I shall pick my a certain card that I can't remember the name of.. it let boosts your life points by 1000 each turn

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Whatever card it is, if recovering 1000 LP is its only effect, I'm pretty sure that it gets a 1/5 already >>; It sounds like a continuous spell, which is bad. It doesn't seem to do anything but recover 1000 LP, which is also bad too.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
    Actually, there's no Continuous Spell that gives you 1000 LP a turn. The only one with an effect that does that per turn is (eww) Spirit of the Breeze, which is, I'm sure we can all agree, the epitome of suck. Anyways, to get back to the topic of this thread...how about this one?

Dark Bribe
    Counter Trap

Negate the activation and effect of an opponent's Spell or Trap Card and destroy it. Your opponent draws 1 card.

Trust me, if I had an image of this it would be here. But as it is, you'll just have to settle for the effect, that one should be correct though. x3 Anyway, thoughts on this semi-new addition to S/T negation? ^.^

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Actually, there's no Continuous Spell that gives you 1000 LP a turn. The only one with an effect that does that per turn is (eww) Spirit of the Breeze, which is, I'm sure we can all agree, the epitome of suck.

Considering the person who posted that is pretty much new...yeah.

Anyways, to get back to the topic of this thread...how about this one?

Dark Bribe
    Counter Trap

Negate the activation and effect of an opponent's Spell or Trap Card and destroy it. Your opponent draws 1 card.

Trust me, if I had an image of this it would be here. But as it is, you'll just have to settle for the effect, that one should be correct though. x3 Anyway, thoughts on this semi-new addition to S/T negation? ^.^

(eBay works wonders for images, if anyone wants to see it.)

My first reaction is either "APPROPRIATE!!" or "RAIZA!!!!", but I suppose those are pretty obvious. Well, those rogue mill/burn decks that hang around would definitely love this card, and Protector of the Sanctuary seems to suddenly have another protection made just for it. It would definitely work in a pinch, but if your CA is low and your opponent's deck is built/shuffled well enough, then it might end up giving your opponent something even worse to smack you with (LOL DMoC/Monarch).

Overall, however, a pretty good card for a no-cost negation and just a draw that could very likely be worth less than the negated card. 4/5

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    Burn Paradise. If you got skill drain out, then your backrow is immune to everything but spells and traps. On wait, this card is made to negate spells and traps. With 3 Solemn Judgment and 3 of this, best of luck breaking through skill drain+stall. Decks that use this will not ever, ever care about CA.

This makes things a lot worse... You really got no chance to stop skill drain stall burn anymore with 6 counter trap to protect it once it's out. The only way to defeat it is to be faster than it. Dark Bribe's only "drawback" is that it has its moments of being a dead-draw, cause it's not very good until the setup is all complete.

Dark Bribe is not measured in CA, but tempo. Dark Bribe is to Magic Drain like Jinzo is to Mobius. Jinzo has no CA advantage while Mobius does, but Jinzo gives you the tempo to push as long as it's out. Magic Drain balances CA out much better than Dark Bribe can, but Dark Bribe slows down the opponent's tempo to stop pushes. Magic Drain can only slow tempo if the opponent is willing to sacrifice another spell card to lose CA in order to regain tempo.

This entire format is about tempo... we have mass swarming, double summons, and everything that's less and less about CA and more about if you have the momentum. Dark Bribe is the new momentum card for stall related decks.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    Dark Bribe is not measured in CA, but tempo. Dark Bribe is to Magic Drain like Jinzo is to Mobius. Jinzo has no CA advantage while Mobius does, but Jinzo gives you the tempo to push as long as it's out. Magic Drain balances CA out much better than Dark Bribe can, but Dark Bribe slows down the opponent's tempo to stop pushes. Magic Drain can only slow tempo if the opponent is willing to sacrifice another spell card to lose CA in order to regain tempo.

This entire format is about tempo... we have mass swarming, double summons, and everything that's less and less about CA and more about if you have the momentum. Dark Bribe is the new momentum card for stall related decks.

Right. However, that's where Dark Bribe has its problems. Here's an example:

-You set out Mirror Force & Dark Bribe, then summon a random monster.
    -Your opponent goes, plays Fissure, summons Gene-Warped Warwolf, then plays Heavy Storm to try to get rid of your backfield.
    -You activate Dark Bribe, knowing that you're going to need MF in a minute.
    -Dark Bribe goes through and negates Heavy Storm, and your opponent draws their card.
    -Unfortunately, that drawn card turns out to be Double Summon, which your opponent uses to toss out Breaker, promptly destroying your set card anyway. Now you have TWO monsters getting ready to smack you.

See? The momentum was actually assisted a bit. Granted, that situation is somewhat situational, but you get my point, right?

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
    I don't see why Mirror Force needs protection in that example though... A player invests the minimal amount needed if Heavy Storm isn't played yet for the back field. Mirror Force alone, should destroy all the monsters attacking, so I personally won't set another back row with Mirror Force unless the other back row can be chained for other purposes, like scapegoat or something.

That example is more about the power of double summon rather than the lack of power for Dark Bribe too~ That situation can occur with or without dark bribe, and the keycard there is actually the double summon (which is another -1 CA but increase tempo card.)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back