• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You found a hidden item! Now go find the other 932,843.

pkmin3033

Do you like to collect things in video games? Are collectibles a meaningful and enjoyable addition to a video game, or a pointless and irritating way to pad something out in the absence of any meaningful content? What have been the best, worst, and most difficult collectibles that you've ever collected?

Years
  • The collectables found in most games annoy me more than they entertain me. They rarely add anything to the experience and usually just serve as an excuse to say "we have so much content."

Years
    • Seen today
    This actually depends on how much I enjoy the game, if I want to spend more time in it then I'll want to go around and collect things.

If I feel like I'm not even getting enjoyment out of the story, then I don't even want to think about grabbing collectibles.

Grand Theft Auto 5 was one of my favorite experiences getting 100% completion on, I enjoyed going around the map so much and it takes you into some really pretty areas.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • If I really love a game and want to keep playing it, I will get all the collectibles just as an excuse to spend more time with it and have something new to do. Otherwise I tend to put games down when I clear them and move onto something else. (That backlog ain't gonna finish itself!)

I think platformers tend to have my favourite collectibles just because they tend to reward exploration and skill to get them. At the same time though, I usually suck at platformers, so they have to be pretty special for me to actually want to do completion on them, ahaha. But it's really rewarding working out where they could be based on a list and so on. It adds replayability and I like that.

I don't like collectibles in most JRPGs where it's often about filling out a collector's book or a menu with every weapon/armour/etc. It just feels kind of underwhelming when the stuff you're collecting is often pointless beyond simple stat increases. I used to do it a lot more often, again as kind of an excuse to keep playing, but I rarely bother anymore.

Years
  • if I get super into a game I like collecting all the things, yeah! but then there are collectables that are just....too much. like the diglett in the SwSh isle of armor :x so I can definitely say that a lot of the time I'm too lazy to actually do it, especially if there's not much of a reason other than for completion.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I love collecting things in games! Especially games like Skyrim -- I spent so long searching for every rare/named item in the game and decorating my house with them, haha. But that's sort of different than normal 'collectables' in games, like coins from Mario or whathaveyou. I can't say I'm really enchanted by collectables of that nature, but if I have the option to display a collection that is emblematic of all my hard work in-game, you bet I will!

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
    Years
  • In my opinion it depends on the game. There are games focused around the collectibles like Banjo Kazooie, which obviously thrive off of having more things to collect and secrets to find. These also add to the world and let the player feel like they are exploring the world, and learning about the little details, providing them a more immersive and enjoyable experience. In games where collectibles aren't the main focus, but something on the side, collectibles are done well by tying them to the world and giving the player some recognition, some reward for finding them. Completing all 120 shrines in Breath of the Wild, while not necessary, gives you a special armour set that pays homage to the rest of the franchise. NieR:Automata has tons of side quests which aren't necessary to complete and, while not exactly collectibles, I'd argue they work in a similar fashion, where by completing them gives the player a deeper look into the world they are in, exposing details that might otherwise have been missed if not explored.

Then there are games where finding an item adds nothing to the experience, and you can skip the collectibles and miss nothing. The Assassin's Creed games show this well. I haven't played all of them, but in the ones I have played, you always got a house and could furnish it with paintings and whatnot, but this added nothing to the experience I had playing the game. There was no change in any dialogue, no reference to various levels of furnished my house got, it was just there, as something to do, which really left me feeling annoyed at the whole thing.

Collectibles are a subjective topic, but I think on the whole, most people can agree that if there is no thought or reason behind the collectibles, then they are bad. But put some thought into collectibles, and they will be enjoyed by at least some players of the game.

Years
  • I'm really not interested in the standard collectables in games that offer no purpose, like the Korok seeds in BotW (seriously, 900?) and would agree with you in the suggestion that the can be used as an excuse for actual content, but hey, I suppose some people enjoy the thrill and satisfaction of collectig them all. Like Fairy though, I love collecting things like legendary/named items in RPGs, stuff that has more meaning :)

Back