• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

You talk too much

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
  • What do you do when someone you're talking to wouldn't you even get a simple word in ?
    I'm sure what their talking to you about is important to share but sometimes you'd like to do some talking yourself.

What do I do when someone wouldn't get me get a word in

I walk away in a not rude way and not speak to them until I can be bothered too.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • In my opinion, walking away is rude.

Usually I'll interrupt but say "I'm sorry to interrupt but ___" or just wait until they finish talking.

However, when someone is egging me to try and fight instead of just talking, I do turn away and say "I don't want to fight with you because it wont resolve anything" or "I'm frustrated and I need time to think." or something along those lines.

Twilight Sky

» s t r a w b e r r y fields ♪
    Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2013
    People have to stop talking eventually. I'm a patient enough person to at least wait for that opportunity for me to get my word in, then.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    When I want someone to stop talking, I quietly mumble nonsense. They eventually stop and then I can get a word in. I pretty much just say whatever comes to mind.

But I came to this thread thinking that it would ask if you talk a lot, and I'll answer my assumption. I don't talk a lot normally, but when I'm feeling talkative, it's best to avoid me that day because I can get pretty annoying.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I wait til people are done talking. I don't like to interrupt really. However, I'm constantly interrupted, so I just make a face and be quiet and sit there and look around rudely. I might as well be rude since someone was rude enough to interrupt me. Sometimes I just quit telling the story or whatever I was talking about if it keeps getting interrupted. This happens with my mom all the time. My sister will say something or my mom will and they ignore what I'm saying, so I just say "you know, you didn't deserve to hear it anyway, I'm done bye."

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I'm the listening type of person, so I really prefer to let the person say all that he/she wants to say while I listen and nod my head and smile and go "Mmhmm", "I see", "Ah~", "That's Cool", etc. I don't speak much in person, but when I do, I tend to get interrupted a lot and that makes me irritated.. This contributes to the reasons why I am quiet in real life and not online - people won't interrupt me and let me get my words out in real life while online, I can just type all I want to say, such as now.

Anyways, I think I'm rambling and getting out of topic. >< So yea. In a nutshell, when people don't let me get a word in, I just sit there, nod my head and show some interest at what they are saying until they are done.

dunnjean

The Most Awesome Of Them All
    Years
  • That usually happens to me a lot, actually. I just wait for him/her to finish. They have to stop talking, eventually.

Ven Bloodia

Unmenschsoldat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 1, 2015
    When they breach the 30 minute mark and still keep talking I don't even bother to listen anymore, I pretty much just nod my head if they're a good friend, anyone else I'd just walk away from out of a mixture of irritation and boredom or tell them to stfu already, especially if they're someone I just met.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I wait if it's something I really need to say, or I walk away if they don't even seem to know I exist. Based on experiences with my family doing exactly this, I don't dare interrupt unless I get yelled at. "DON'T INTERRUPT! IT'S RUDE!"

I'm actually not good at getting a word in edgewise unless I really raise my voice, though. So I'll usually ride it out/leave instead of trying to butt in on the conversation.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • I don't really care. I don't usually have much to say anyway so if people are happy to chatter away to fill the silence then it takes the pressure off me having to come up with conversation :P

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • If it's really important I (loosely) raise my hand and open my mouth like I am about to talk, with an expression like "Hey, I need to speak". It usually works all the time, but sometimes I need to say "Ahh, eh, ehm" etc. and they usually get the point after that. Otherwise I will just keep listening and since I normally don't lead convos, it really doesn't matter to me if they want to go on talking. As long as I have time to listen, that is...

Hannah

beep bop boop
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Nov 16, 2021
    I'm really patient and calm, so I wait for people to stop talking before I say something.

Vαηєℓℓσρє

ωнαт ωαѕ, ιѕ, αη∂ ωιℓℓ вє...
    Years
  • I just let them finish, unless it is something important to say, in which I just raise my voice. That's all I've ever needed to do to get attention or a point across.

Yellow Silver Nostalgia

Those Were The Days
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I like listening to people, but it's frustrating because I'm usually much more intelligent than the folks I'm listening to, and I'm just like "noooo.... that's so wrong, you're talking absolute nonsense" so I become desperate to speak, but now I've realised that when I do explain something to people, they more often than not don't understand me anyway so I just listen a lot now, and when I do talk I just ask questions. I'm usually genuinely interested in listening to them, after all.

This is why I like talking over the internet, I get a chance to think about what I post, I get a chance to expain myself without being interrupted, etc.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I'll usually just wait until they stop talking or if I cant wait I try to speak up so they can hear me more.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    "Okay, that's great" in a incredibly sarcastic tone.
    Gets the person every single time.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • People have different level of understanding. If the one talking to me cannot comprehend, then I would adjust in a way he/she would understand. If the one's talking to me is somewhat uninterested, I would get his/her attention in a way.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't really care. I don't usually have much to say anyway so if people are happy to chatter away to fill the silence then it takes the pressure off me having to come up with conversation :P
    Oh my god this this so much this. Unless I really do want to say something, I'm more than happy to listen to other people ramble on. I'm a really good listener, and when there's other people talking, that's just great for me! When I do want to say stuff, however, normally I'll either say something like "Excuse me, er... [INSERT POIGNANT THOUGHTS HERE]" or wait until the other person finishes speaking. Don't want to be rude or anything! :D

Squidchan

The Lady Cthulhu
    Years
  • Most of the time I'm happy to just sit and listen. It's when I start talking only to be interrupted as if I hadn't been talking at all that makes me upset. But I won't say too much about it because it's something small that isn't worth fighting over.

Back