• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Your Method?

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    I'm curious as to the different opinions of what the best method is to get a shiny.

Anyone care to share? Do we have any Shiny breeders? I've heard that's a long a grueling process.

Years
  • Well after reading a threat about shiny values I think I'm going to find out more information on it when I get home. Basic concept is that to someone in the world your egg can be a shiny, so find the person and trade so they can hatch in their game and make it a shiny.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Currently, I'm try to use the horde method to meet up with shinies. You're encountering about five to six Pokémon in each horde battle, which increases your chance of stumbling into a shiny significantly. So far, I've been able to encounter one shiny Pokémon by using this method. It was Mareep. I didn't catch it, though. Why? Because I already had a shiny Mareep on Pokémon Black 2, with an excellent set of nature, ability, EVs, etc. I've gotten it from a friend, and can make sure that it's not hacked. So, yeah, since I already had one, I just didn't need another. When PokéBank launches next month, I will have it transferred to Y immediately. d:

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2013
    Thanks for the link, Twilight. I'm checking that over.

Looks like an easier way so far, so that's promising.. Hatching seems so slow.

I'm not really into Shinies so much myself, but of course if I could get one of my favorites that'd be sweet.

Years
  • Chain fishing is by far the easiest but of course the Pokemon you get from that are very limited. I've found Masuda Method to be one of the best ways though.. hatched my shiny Gastly in under 30 eggs using MM. Probably got lucky, though!

And horde battles (using Sweet Scent since it attracts them) are good, too.

Years
  • I am using the Masuda Method. I got a shiny Noibat after 19 eggs in X. I don't really care about stats and stuff so I was very happy! I am not that lucky with Eevee tho :( I hatched 546 eggs in Black 2 and I didn't get one so I gave up. lol

I didn't know the Shiny Values method. It seems interesting! :)

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    What exactly is the Masuda Method?
    Just breeding and hatching a lot?

Breeding Pokemon from two different regions. It's unofficially named Masuda Method after Junichi Masuda, one of the main guys at Game Freak. He basically increased the odds of hatching a shiny by using foreign Pokemon as a means of encouraging global trades.

And that's basically all there is to it: just use the GTS to get a Pokemon from another region and breed it with one you have in game. This is the least reliable method (still very much luck based compared to chaining) but you have a lot more control over the Nature/IVs.

Years
    • Seen Nov 28, 2013
    Chain Fishing and Pokeradar Chaining are the most effective ways. Right now, I'm trying to MM for a shiny Larvitar. I'm also breeding for one with 5 perfect IVs. The chances have apparently been increased to 1/683...but nothing yet.

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    I don't actually try for one. If I get one that's great, but I like playing the game for the game itself. I regard shines to be one of those things that people can obsess over to the detriment of enjoying the game.

Reactions: Roh

Feunard

Random Trainer
    Years
  • I use the Masuda Method which isn't bad but I think chaining is better. Or was better. I used to chain in platinum and got dozens of shinies. I tried it for a few hours on this game but I just couldn't get the hang of it.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I use the Masuda Method which isn't bad but I think chaining is better. Or was better. I used to chain in platinum and got dozens of shinies. I tried it for a few hours on this game but I just couldn't get the hang of it.

I think the restrictions with spots in the grass are easier to deal with but it's so hard to tell which kind of grass you're supposed to go in. Sometimes the type of shaking is so difficult to differentiate!

Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2014
    the PokeGear method just seems confusing to me, and chain fishing kinda limits your choice of pokemon to basically water types. I've been trying to nab a shiny Eevee or two with the Masuda method.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    After hearing the shiny rates for Masuda went down to like ~1/700, I've been doing it more. Plus there's really no limit to the Pokemon you want to get shiny, as opposed to every other method. And at the same time, you go breed for good IVs.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    Shiny fishing is limited to only those pokes. Sweet scent is alright. But I learned running around like a chicken in a specific safari of your choice that has your pokemon you want is the best. Seeing you have a 1 out of 3 chance of getting the right pokemon shiny, though not much luck on great nature/Iv's.

Roh

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    Regarding the Masuda method, how can you tell how many encounters you've had? Is there something in game that tells you?

Back