• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your own Pokemon World

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
So this is something I have been working on for quite some time. Though for me it will almost never be made into ROM Hack game because I'm not sure I could even do that. But I've looked through at some of the ones that people have made and wonder...

How much of the world do you create? Do you make your own Dex? Draw out your own maps? When do you know when to stop?

These are just some things I've been thinking about while I work on my own world.

Bay

Years
I haven't really made a fanmade region yet, but lately I've been thinking about making a region based on South/Southeast Asia! There are so many cool places like India's Taj Mahal and Cambodia's Angkor Wat would make very cool attractions to visit. I even thought about how for the Elite Four at least there would be specialized in Electric, Fairy, and Grass (mainly because we haven't gotten those yet haha). As for Pokedex, I'm never good with fanmade/fake Pokemon, so I might just pull out from the canon.

Also, I know some writers use fanfiction as an outlet for their fanmade regions, for instance Gimmepie's Stairway to Heaven. That's something to consider!

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Like I have some idea in a way of Pokemon I'd like to make but it's hard for me to create them without feeling like I may be stealing from someone else.

As of right now mine isn't really based on a certain place more of a futuristic semi utopia but still has issues.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
Years
My best friend and I have been working on making a fakemon region called the Thalas Region, an Atlantis/Pangea themed region. It's slow going since we're both active college students, but we've designed the starters and the trainers. We have concepts for all three stages for two of the starters, and a possible concept for the third but my friend didn't like the second stage that much so we're kinda back to the drawing board on that one. We've designed the cities, the concept of how if it was a game how the pokedex and such would work. I've been writing pokedex entries and am slowly working on sprites for all the pokemon. I don't know if we'll ever go as far as movesets, but we have spitballed ideas for NPCs like merchants and the professors, etc. I don't know if we'll ever complete the region but it's been fun to work on and write about.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
Other than Professors and Gym Leaders I don't know if I would worry about any other NPC's. I've been putting everything into a folder on Google Docs and I'm just not sure how to even go about posting it here or what order I even wanna put it in...LOL. I can be OCD about that. I have thought about using graph paper to try and make up Towns/Cities and Routes but I dono.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years
So t
How much of the world do you create? Do you make your own Dex? Draw out your own maps? When do you know when to stop?
When do you know when to stop?

AAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I can't stop creating, pls help~

More seriously... I guess I could just point out to my worldbuilding project thread, or my wiki, or any of a number of pastebins and maps I've done, character and organization profiles, cosmology and timeline, or the number of fics... and basically say... I've done a lot and will continue so much as it pains me sometimes and there will be no stopping it, for the time being.

Creating your own original region is a kind of milestone when worldbuilding for Pokémon, as is creating your own Fakémon or Fakédex though I have not gone those two latter routes. Lots of people do and you'll find everything from short description snippets, fictionalized brochures, sprites, maps, stat tables, some other artistic renditions, etc.

Of course there's nothing wrong with working within the established regions or Pokémon. Arceus knows Johto is in need of love for example, and Sinnoh and Kalos are absolute delights as regions to expand upon with a bit of original thinking.

Bay said:
Also, I know some writers use fanfiction as an outlet for their fanmade regions, for instance Gimmepie's Stairway to Heaven. That's something to consider!
This, so much. A very good exposure of fanon regions when not in romhacks is checking what kind of adventures take place in them. I seem to recall we even had a sort of thing about that in PC gathering all regions from members, but it's been a long while.

Caite-chan said:
Like I have some idea in a way of Pokemon I'd like to make but it's hard for me to create them without feeling like I may be stealing from someone else.

A few notes:

* Inspiration, when respectful, leads to the highest form of flattery: copy for an adaptation.
* Taking stuff from a fellow author with permission is not stealing. Heck maybe you can trade ideas with other authors and nod to each other in your works!
* Whatever you create is going to be somehow inspired in stuff you already know, so don't fear that. Rather, embrace your imagination and the ability to do research and compare notes.
* Always feel free to ask for help!

I have thought about using graph paper to try and make up Towns/Cities and Routes but I dono.
That is a really good way to go about that and from what I have seen from sites where fanon cartographers post their stuff, the results can be astounding when dedicated some time. In case you want to try something like digital mapping, for stuff like towns, there's some good tools for that too, but admittedly paper scans have a charm that nothing really gets to beat.

Well, good luck with your worldbuilding ideas and don't hesitate to look around for advice.

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
While I'm not in the region building aspects in ROM hacking, I think I can give something that I've used.

A good thing that I try to use for worldbuilding is lore. Building the past/history is a good element to establishing how things are and why people do what they do here. Yeah, there's individual history, but I think the lore plays a big role in this too.

I approach lore as one of the early parts of things. "What led to these things and as a result, what do they do." I guess you could say, establishing lore first then the current actions is something I tend to do and might seem a bit different than a lot of approaches for making culture and areas.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
You guys are awesome and love the feedback. I guess my next issue so to speak would be: How do you organize everything?

Right now I just have things in my Google Docs so I can work on them here and there and where ever. But I do plan on posting at some point in time for all to see.

Years
You guys are awesome and love the feedback. I guess my next issue so to speak would be: How do you organize everything?

Right now I just have things in my Google Docs so I can work on them here and there and where ever. But I do plan on posting at some point in time for all to see.

Keep it topical.
One section for geography, one history, one mon etc etc and whatever subections you need.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
Years

Me: *points to his signature again*

I started organizing everything in a digital binder using Freemind and other similar utilities that filed and sorted a number of Writer docs, spreadsheets, general text notes and a region map.

Over time I realized (and other people proded me too) that some of the information was actually nifty to have visible, stuff like multi-site links, archives, discussions and worldbuilding, so I built a wiki for the entire setting and moved more internal notes to a resources tree using Writer's Café (though due to the license I am hoping to switch to a different tool when I can).

If you want to post your stuff, it would be welcome of course! We love more content. And barring life occupations such as serving 9-to-5, I should be available to help.

Years
I've made a map in 2017 based loosely on Canada, I have since lost the original but have a picture of it save on my google drive

Back