• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokémon Pet Peeves

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    What are some things about the franchise and its fandom that tick you off? Don't be afraid to be honest. (Just keep it clean.)

Here are mine:

1. When people insist that Yellow isn't game canon/is anime canon because it took inspiration from the anime. Yes, the game was obviously riding the popularity of the early anime, but it's still 100% game canon. You're still playing as Red, your rival is still Blue, Jessie and James are characterized differently from their anime counterparts, and the plot still follows that of Red/Blue instead of the anime--Brock and Misty don't leave their gyms to follow you around, you earn all of your badges the hard way, and you fight the Elite Four at the end instead of a tournament. The fact that the Generation 2 games had more references to Yellow than Red/Blue makes this all the more obvious. (And, no, FRLG not including elements from Yellow doesn't mean much, as ORAS didn't include much from Emerald, either--Are you going to suggest that Emerald isn't game canon, either?)

2. When people insist that Origins is game canon/a replacement for a Generation 1 remake. No matter how faithful, an anime adaptation is still an anime adaptation. Origins was only made to get older fans amped up for XY, not to add to game canon or serve as a "replacement" for a modern Generation 1 remake. People can headcanon it as being part of the games' story all they want, but they need to stop trying to claim that it's hard canon, because it isn't.

3. When people insist that "Green" is the Generation 1 Rival's "real" name. Sorry, but only in Japan. He was Blue everywhere else, just like Charizard isn't "Lizardon" outside of Japan.

4. When people use terminology like "Johto Pokémon" instead of "Generation 2 Pokémon." Where could you originally catch Houndour and Murkrow? Route 7. In Kanto. And, last time I checked, Johto had lots of Pidgey and Rattata. And, that's not even getting into cross-Generational pre/evolutions. Nearly every Pokémon has appeared outside of its introductory region, so why do people still insist on dividing them up by region instead of Generation?

5. When people use "Kanto Elite Four" or "Johto Elite Four" instead of "Generation 1/2 Elite Four" or "Indigo Elite Four." I know this may confuse younger fans, but unlike the other regions, Kanto and Johto don't have their own Leagues. They both share the same League at the same Indigo Plateau, and any differences between Generations 1 and 2 can be chalked up to the passage of time, not the existence of a separate "Johto" Elite Four. You'd think that Bruno being in both Elite Fours would've clued people in, but apparently, it hasn't.

6. When people gender stereotype Pokémon. Hate to break it to you, but Gyarados can be female, and Milotic can be male. In fact, both Pokémon have a 50/50 gender ratio. So, why do people insist on calling them a male/female pair? If a Pokémon can be either gender, then it isn't "inherently" a "he" or a "she," period.

7. Dragon Type Box Legendaries. Did you know that Xerneas and Yvetal were the first Box Legends in 11 years to NOT be Dragon types? And, that after almost 20 years, Poison still doesn't have ONE Legendary of its own? No equality, I tell you!

8. All but four non-Legendary, non-Mega Dragon types being mono-Dragon, Dragon/Flying, or Dragon/Ground. Dragon mythology is vast and diverse, so why does GF insist on giving non-Legendary Dragons the same boring old typings and inspirations? How many generic flying Dragons do we need? (*Glares at Salamence and Garchomp*) Where are the Forest or Faerie Dragons? Talk about a missed opportunity.

9. All but two Pseudo-Legendaries being Dragon types. They had a great thing going with Tyranitar and Metagross, but then they just *had* to stuff Salamence into there, and it's been Dragon Central ever since then. Why can't other types have a Pseudo for a change? Are other types just not as "marketable"? (Ironic, since Tyranitar and Metagross are probably the two most popular Pseudos after Dragonite.)

10. Event-only Legendaries. This one should be obvious. Thank goodness for the Mew Glitch!

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    My biggest pet peeve has to do with any mincing between the anime and game continuities...using the names "Red" and "Ash" or "Blue" and "Gary" interchangeably being by far the most frustrating offense.

Another I have (though admittedly not nearly as common now as it has been in the past) is when people throw a ****-storm whenever they localize a pokémon's name and its English name isn't "as cool-sounding" as its Japanese name. This was at its worst during the Pre-GenIV era when people were outraged that Diaruga and Parukia turned into Dialga and Palkia.

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    Not being able to have multiple save files: I really wish they would do that. I really hate that whenever I want to play through the game again, I have to start a new file, erasing the old one. What if I liked the team their and the next games weren't out yet to transfer them?

When people make impossible trade offers in GTS: It's hard for me to find a decent trade in there since 75% of the trade offers, are for event only legendaries that could only be obtained through a lot of transferring or hacking. I know you're trying to complete your pokedex but try to make your trades reasonable.

Ways bosses AI works: This is more of an annoyance, but I don't really like how a boss will just heal off their Pokemon at low health. It doesn't make you stronger, it just prolongs the fight. I would of done the same damage to you anyway unless you use some stat changing moves.

Double Team spammers: There are those AI spammers who just spam double team until it is impossible to get a clean hit on them. Yet whenever you do double team, it won't work.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    Basically when people (mostly being Genwunners) say how in every new generation, the Pokemon introduced looks ridiculous and not thought out well enough. I mean, it's acceptable since ELECTRODE, VOLTORB, MAGNETON, DUGTRIO, MUK, etc aren't introduced in Generation ONE- OH WAIT, THEY ARE. My biggest peeve on the fandom.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    There are a few, with one of them being certain mega-evolution designs.

Mega-evolutions are meant to be merely temporary forms for Pokémon, and not actual evolutions. For this reason, when it comes to appearance and whatnot, I feel things seem sort of out-of-place when Pokémon's designs look too different in comparison to their original forms. A prime example of this is Mega-Charizard X; when Charizard mega-evolves into this, its color-scheme switches completely.

Alongside, another thing I tend to dislike is introduction of a new legendary trio in almost each and every generation. It's nice to have one every once in a while, I believe, but when it's done continuously (which had happened from generation one to five without any stop), it winds up losing its touch; the method seems to become unappreciated, so to speak.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen yesterday
    1. The formula of the games being repeated over and over again in every game. You always beat 8 gym leaders, an evil team and the E4+champion only to become campion yourself.
    Sure, there are people who say "but gen 5" and I respond: "What about gen 5?"
    I mean, what do you do in Black/White? You go from town to town, beating Gym Leaders, while fending off Team Plasma and after that you go to the Pokemon League and beat the E4. Then you beat N, who just happens to have beaten the champ, which basically makes him the champ. Beating Ghetsis afterwards is just your standard evil-team-leader-battle that has a little bit of a delay. But changing the order a little bit doesn't change the formula.

Don't get me wrong, I still love playing the games, but I'm certainly not playing them for the story. xD

2. Event Pokemon, or events in general (especially the serial code ones) feel more like manufactored elitism, than something special.

epicbiscuit23

Epicpokepotato1
    Years
    An annoying thing is that in GSC and HGSS you spend ages completing the 8 gyms and the pokemon league then you go to Kanto and then you have to do another 8 gyms and then Kanto pokemon league D:

ChikoritaCheezits

The Green Leaf triumphs over all
    Years
    The whole concept of event Pokemon. So much for Gotta Catch em all. More like, Gotta Catch em all by going to Game Stop during this range of time.

The arguments of Genwunners hating the newer Pokemon for stupid designs like ice cream and garbage well worshipping gen one Pokemon like Magnemite and Muk.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Pokemon events that aren't WiFi distributions, and/or are ones that are only available in specific countries (lookin' at you Shiny Jirachi). I don't mind there being event only Pokemon, but if you're gonna do that, don't make me jump through a bunch of hoops to get the damn thing or not let everyone in the world get it. This gen has been particularly annoying with it, because this was supposed to be the sort of global Pokemon generation, if you get what I mean. This was supposed to be the gen where everyone in the world has a chance at getting the same experience at the same time. But no, they do **** like all these stupid code distribution things. The Gamestop closest to me shut down recently, I don't wanna drive 30 minutes to the next one just for a Pokemon they could've done via a worldwide WiFi/Mystery Gift.

And hax. I hate hax. But so does everyone.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    All this Magikarp and Stunfisk praise is a pet peeve for me. It's okay if people show empathy for weak Pokemon, but when people crack them up to be super strong or super beautiful, they probably have a problem.

People hating on Pokemon like Diggersby, Rhyperior, Tangrowth, etc. just because of their designs. There's more to a Pokemon than design. Look at stats, movepool, ability, etc.

People calling Umbreon cute. I don't find it cute at all.

Years
    All the hate that newer games receive from "genwunners".
    I know this has been said countless times already, but I can't really understand people who keep saying that the first pokèmon that were made were better and that the new ones aren't as nice. Garbodor isn't worse than Muk, Klinklang isn't worse than Magneton.

Those who think they're superior because they play competitively.
    While I have some interest in competitive battling, I don't play it too often (I'm a sore loser) so I'd rather stick to challenges, give myself weird rules and play that way. I think that doesn't make me a pokèmon fan less than someone who challenges random people online.

The A.I.
    Random member of the Elite Four of a random region, using a Full Restore on your ace won't make you win, I'll just hit it harder. Random trainer, spamming Double Team/Minimize will only mean that I'll use a move that can't miss. Really, if fans can implement a better A.I. in their hacks, why can't Game Freak give us some decent trainers?

Ridiculous catch rates.
    I can see why a legendary is harder to catch because you know, it's not the Weedle caught by the old man in the tutorial, but some of them are ludicrous, I still remember in HeartGold when I spent more than an hour trying to catch Ho-Oh because it kept killing himself with Struggle recoil. I know there's the Master Ball, but in each game there are at least 5 legendaries to catch, if not more.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    This was at its worst during the Pre-GenIV era when people were outraged that Diaruga and Parukia turned into Dialga and Palkia.
    Seriously? That's hilarious because the Japanese pronunciation of their names sound EXACTLY like Dialga and Palkia. The translation was completely accurate.

My biggest pet peeve is "Genwunner", and I mean the term itself. It's stupid and I wish it would die. What a childish term.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    My pet peeve is the fact that after Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby came out X and Y have been abandoned. You can't get shiny event Beldum, you can't enter in tournaments with it, you can't receive the givaways in Pokemon Centers... It bugs me like you wouldn't believe because I only have Y version, and already it's being thrown to the side. Game Freak really should have just included all the mega evolutions in X and Y to begin with and shouldn't have added anymore if they weren't gonna update the older games. Also the cel-shading. Just make them 3D already, they don't look good at all with just 5 colors and a dark gray outline around everything with no shadows.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    My biggest pet peeve is "Genwunner", and I mean the term itself. It's stupid and I wish it would die. What a childish term.

This x1000

I would not shed a tear if the "G-word" was permanently banned from this forum and all other Pokémon forums. If you're going to criticize someone's opinion, then actually present an argument instead of resorting to childish ad hominem attacks.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    People who say Ash is a bad trainer. Especially those who don't even watch the anime anymore.

Like, okay you can hate him all you want. You can think he's a bad trainer fine. But just don't say it around me because I don't wanna hear it. And I especially don't wanna hear your reasons for them because I haven't heard a single one that doesn't sound dumb and make me roll my eyes.

Also people comparing Red to Ash and vice versa. Please stop.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    For the games, it's definitely the Arceus Event in HGSS. One thing I liked about Eggs is the mystery behind them. Nobody knew where they appeared so it's usually up for the audience to figure it out by making headcanons. :P

The reason why this bothers me is because realistically, Arceus doesn't have the power to make 5,000 Eggs in a mere second. Not only that, but I find it even more silly as all of that Egg making would technically make Arceus the real parent.

For the fandom... a few things. I don't hate the fandom, but still. :P

Such as how people call Red a God and the best Trainer, for example. He's not the best, he doesn't have a personality and is pretty much like any other Trainer. D:< People complain about Ash, and while his adventures get a little too repetitive, at least he and his Pokémon aren't perfect and have personality.

I also find it stupid every time somebody makes a "Sawk and Throh = Bert and Ernie" joke. I dunno, I suppose I'm the only one who thinks that they don't look like Bert and Ernie. -3-

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years

Before I say what my pet peeves in Pokemon are, I would like to explain a bit of history about that G-word. That word did not start with Pokemon, it started with Transformers.

Now for my pet peeves in Pokemon:
    My biggest one would have to be those that spam certain moves like Double Team, Protect, and Detect.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
    Seriously? That's hilarious because the Japanese pronunciation of their names sound EXACTLY like Dialga and Palkia. The translation was completely accurate.

You can witness the backlash in this thread. Obviously, there were some sensible people there...and my memories probably made the dissenters seems more over-the-top than they really were, but there were a few that could not conceive that Dialga and Palkia are literally the same pronunciation as their Japanese spelling.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    For the games, it's definitely the Arceus Event in HGSS. One thing I liked about Eggs is the mystery behind them. Nobody knew where they appeared so it's usually up for the audience to figure it out by making headcanons. :P

The reason why this bothers me is because realistically, Arceus doesn't have the power to make 5,000 Eggs in a mere second. Not only that, but I find it even more silly as all of that Egg making would technically make Arceus the real parent.

Arceus, in general, bothers me a lot. The games had already established Mew as being the "Ancestor of all Pokémon"...

Silver Dex Entry:

"Its DNA is said to contain the genetic codes of all Pokémon, so it can use all kinds of techniques."

Crystal Dex Entry:

"Because it can learn any move, some people began research to see if it is the ancestor of all Pokémon."

Ruby/Sapphire Dex Entry:

"Mew is said to possess the genetic composition of all Pokémon. It is capable of making itself invisible at will, so it entirely avoids notice even if it approaches people."

Diamond/Pearl/Platinum (yes, the very games that introduced Arceus) Dex Entry:

"Because it can use all kinds of moves, many scientists believe Mew to be the ancestor of Pokémon."

And, it makes perfect sense. Mew can learn almost every move (and can use all of them via Metronome), and it's capable of transforming into every Pokémon. Its design even resembles that of an embryo.

So, what was the point of Arceus? Did Pokémon really need a "god"? Did these games really need to have religion stuffed into them?

(The fact that Mew is sweet and adorable, while Arceus looks like a deformed llama doesn't help matters, IMO.)

Last edited:

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    Even if age has made me more open to the concept of shipping, it still irks me when people insist that Pokemon needs more canon romantic relationships, especially in the anime. Romance isn't the point of Pokemon, and the anime's target audience definitely doesn't care about that kind of stuff.

Also, you know, most of the anime's main characters are ten years old.

Back