• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Pokemon Confessions..

The ???

The one true question mark
    Years
    We all started with Pokemon at some point and that's why we are here. Most of us, started in childhood when we were NOT SO smart and innocent! :P

Post below your confessions / things you believed that were extremely stupid when you first started with Pokemon games :P

I'll go ahead :
    When I first played Sapphire LONG ago, I thought Spinda evolves in Skarmory.
    I believed 100 accuracy meant NO CHANCE of missing
    I made my 9 lvl Zubat eat Rare Candy

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2016
    the first couple of playthroughs I had a level 80 blastiose and a lv 5 ratata as a team(plus one of the birds(articuno and zapdos) for flying.
    once i made a speedrun. my battery died on a exchange trip to france erasing my not saved file and i played through blue in ten h using the whole night.
    It took me 101 h in my first run to get out of silph co as i didnt know how to get past the guy next to the porter field.

missingno was fun and it gave me a mew entry in my hall of fame.

first time i played(so elses game) i got badly lost in mt moon.

Nakala Pri

1. I thought that if someone used Growl on you, your Defense would go down permanently. XD

2. Didn't know what Special Attack and Special Defense were for.

3. Kept losing on my first trainer battle. XD

Yes, I sucked at Pokemon.

pkmin3033

I thought my game was broken the first time I was poisoned outside of battle in Pokemon Red. I'd always cured it in-battle or the Pokemon had fainted, and I was wandering around Silph Co., my screen beeping and jerking about periodically - despite saving it, turning it off and blowing into the cartridge multiple times - practically in tears because I thought I'd done something to it. Then my Pokemon fainted and it stopped. I've never been more relieved. xD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    One thing I've always believed in is, similarly to Airhead, permanent stats decrease and increase.

When Pokémon would use stats-lowering moves such as Tail Whip and Growl, I used to imagine them to be permanent, which would sort of make me feel frustrated. To get your stats fixed, I used to think Swords Dance, Rock Polish, and other things of the like were mandatory. However, while I was browsing GameSpot forums one day, someone told me that all of it were temporary, and I didn't find myself worrying about these things afterward ever since. I know I would have figured out about this eventually, but I'm glad it happened sooner rather than later.

As for Pokémon themselves, when I was around eight or so, I thought shiny Charizard was a different evolution to Charmeleon entirely; in order to get a hold of it, I believed (as this is what my friend told me) that we were required to train Charmeleon to level one-hundred and use Fire Stone afterward. I've attempted to try this on various occasion, but unfortunately, I've never got around to leveling the Pokémon up to hundred.

The ???

Years
    I can relate a lot! XD
    That reminds me,my friend once told me he has a 137 level Psyduck (jn FireRed) and I believed him right away and he was the coolest one in the group because of that! XD

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Oct 16, 2023
    I have two confessions :P

1) i never knew that a moves type determined what kind of attack (special or physical) it was back in gen 3. I only realized this way after the last game with that quality was released.

2) for the longest time i thought that catching a pokemon at the lowest level possible would make it stronger at level 100 than if i cought it lets say level 50. If only i knew about EVs back then xD

Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2017
    This isn't when I first started, but I was pretty darn young at the time.

I thought I could trade a Piplup from Diamond to Emerald.

I knew about the generation thing and that Piplup had been introduced in the DS games, but still decided to give it a whirl.

epicbiscuit23

Epicpokepotato1
    Years
    The first time i played emerald when I was a kid I chose Mudkip it was a shiny! I restarted because I thought my game was broken
    Years later when I was playing alpha sapphire I saw a guy offering a shiny mudkip.....then i remembered. My face was just like
    Your Pokemon Confessions..

The ???

Years
    Even reading about Killing Feebas made me cringe.

I remember some more :
    - I couldn't solve the strength boulder puzzle in Team aqua's cave hideout for a week.
    - I was unable to go to Saffron city in FR for about 2 weeks, I kept trying to give her soda pop or lemonade but she just won't drink that.
    - I was very very afraid of Lavender Town music.
    - I only used my blaziken in league, and only used sky uppercut on everyone.

FSNW5yiFrXVXqv

I'm sure many folks from the good 'ol days have felt the same way: I got fooled into buying a Magikarp. Not more than 3 hours later, i get an old rod reeling hundreds of them.

Oh, and back when Sapphire first came out, I was playing the Japanese version. Almost gave up within the first hour or so trying to figure out how to get out of the house, only to discover that the clock must be set ._.'a

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    When I first played Yellow way back when, it took me about 10 tries to get past Brock. All I had was a Pikachu, Pidgey, Spearow, and Rattata, and all they knew were Electric/Flying/Normal attacks that did almost nothing to Brock's Pokémon. It wasn't until I got Stadium and glanced through my Stadium user guide that I realized I could raise up a Butterfree and beat Brock with Confusion. (Which is why Yellow is a harder game than Red/Blue, IMO.)

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 21, 2017
    From least shameful to most shameful:

1) The first Pokemon game I owned (In fact the first game I owned at all) was Pokemon Silver. Even after downloading a ROM I've never completed gen 1 because I just didn't like it.

2) I had a level 100 Typhlosion that still had Ember because it was the first fire move it learned, got me through the first 2 gyms, and I thought that made it one of the most powerful fire moves in the game.

3) This is a long one, buckle down.
    When the games first game out I got Ruby and my childhood friend got Sapphire, we were both 11 at the time. I caught Seedot and she caught Lotad. She ended up getting a Water Stone (and therefore a Ludicolo) later on, and I didn't know how to evolve my Nuzleaf. She kept bragging about it and I started to feel really jealous. One night we had a sleepover and when she fell asleep I went on her game and released her Ludicolo then saved. When she went on it the next day she was really upset and didn't know what happened. I told her some story about how 'I heard about this glitch on Sapphire where it sometimes deletes a Pokemon you got with a stone'. She still believes that it was a glitch 11 years on, as far as I'm aware.

Bonus edit confession:
    I didn't know what Pokerus was when I first saw it. The same friend as above told me that it could kill your Pokemon and I got really upset because I didn't want my Pokemon to die.
    I think that makes us even? Kinda?

Last edited:

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    I murdered a shiny Diglett before. I thought my Pidgeot being at the same level as the Pokemon in Cinnabar Mansion was a good thing. I violently killed Articuno and thought it was in Cerulean Cave someplace, and I tried to perform the Mew Glitch in Pokemon Leafgreen.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I wasn't TOO bad... my first game was Yellow Version and I used my Master Ball on Zapdos instead of saving it for Mewtwo, that was about it.

A big lesson I learned from Crystal version was to ALWAYS have a huge stock of Poké Balls, I learned this when I ran into a shiny Nidorina but I had no Poké Balls whatsoever... :(

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2014
    I thought tapping the 'A' button loads in Sapphire would increase the chances of catching a pokemon when the pokeball rolled, and that any moves which didn't cause damage were useless, so yeah pretty embarassing!

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    So first game was either leafgreen or sapphire but im forgetful
    Wait with a 100% chance of accuaracy moves can miss? Jk :p
    I thought SPIDNA evolved into loudred
    I thought a magneton was just a swarm of magnetite
    I thought dragon rage was the most powerful move.
    And thats it except....
    I used my masterball on a gyarados the first time smarts! XD

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I thought tapping the 'A' button loads in Sapphire would increase the chances of catching a pokemon when the pokeball rolled, and that any moves which didn't cause damage were useless, so yeah pretty embarassing!

I had believed in the same, exact thing for a very, very long time.

This wasn't something that others told me about; it was something I made up myself, and my belief in the method continued expanding when I was trying to capture Lugia in Silver version. When I'd encountered this Pokémon, I was having much of a tough time trying to capture, but eventually, I kept hitting A button continuously while throwing a Poké Ball at one point, and luckily, I successfully wound up catching.

Same happened in my second run of Pokémon Ruby, if I remember correctly, while going up against Groudon; I managed to capture the Pokémon while pressing A non-stop. I stopped counting on this eventually, especially thanks to an article I had read on some site, but I wish I hadn't; although it doesn't help in any way in actuality, it's still fun to believe and whatnot, at least from my point-of-view.

Back