• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your worst Shiny experiences

Years
  • Yeah I'm bringing back an old thread that died hehehe.

So yeah, most of us may have seen a Shiny at least some point during our playthroughs but there are times where we can never seem to catch it for ourselves, such as it escaping, being found before you get the Pokedex, a Trainer in a battle facility using it, or blowing itself up and so on.

Have you ever had bad experiences with Shiny Pokemon in the games?

I've only had two myself, a Boldore in Black and a Lotad in Sapphire. I ran from both of them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I've never had a bad shiny experience. The only thing I can think to say is that I once thought I saw a shiny Lillipup and KOed it. But I'm still not 100% sure about it, haha.

Years
  • I'll never live down the fact that I saw a shiny Paras in the Safari Zone on FireRed, but only had one Safari Ball left. I obviously didn't want to risk the chance of throwing a rock at it and having it flee, so I threw the Ball on the first turn, only to have it break free after two shakes. It's one of the few vivid moments I have of playing Pokemon, right down to being able to tell you where I was and what else I was doing when it happened.

The only other bad shiny experience I can think of is OHKO'ing a shiny Teddiursa back on Gold, but since it happened so long ago, it doesn't bug me quite as much as that Paras encounter.

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
    Years
  • I saw a shiny Unown in Pokemon Gold. However, I never knew shinies were anything special back then or even existed, and it looked the same as regular Unown. It sparkled, and I thought nothing of it. I ran away to continue my journey like an idiot. That was also my first shiny experience.

I also saw a shiny Rhyhorn and Heracross in Pokemon Emerald's Safari Zone. They ran away the first chance they got. I hate seeing shinies in the Safari Zone.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • being found before you get the Pokedex
    Wait, what?!

I've actually never encountered a shiny in any of the official games, even though I spent a lot of time searching for them when I was younger. I did however encounter a shiny Dratini in the Safari Zone while playing PokeMMO (an online multiplayer version of Pokemon Firered), and needless to say, it ran :[
    Pretty horrible as Dratini is pretty rare in itself, and usually not too easy to catch, so... :(

Otherwise, no, never actually encountered another shiny :p

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Met a shiny Machoke outside Celestic Town on Platinum...ran because I was in a hurry. Would've been just as bad if I'd stayed though - I got to the Regi and found I had no pokéballs anyway :(

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Safari Zone shiny stories are the worst. :(((

I had a regular wild shiny Pokemon flee from me once. Shiny female Grimer. :/ I encountered her in Crystal around the patch of grass on Celadon's cycling road thing. I used an attack to get her to around yellow health. Either on that turn or the next, she fled. I didn't have a chance to capture her.

Grimer isn't *that* cool of a shiny... However, I'm still saddened because I must have mentioned this story several times now on Pokemon forums and I must relive it every time. 8D;

Darkest Shade of Light

Pokémon Midnight Sun
    Years
  • Worst shiny experience was in Black 2 earlier this week. I've been grinding to try and encounter that Multiscale Dragonite in the Hidden Grotto on Route 18. After a battle with Colress, I was headed back to the island with the Grotto on it. On the way back, there was a little tile of water with that rippling event on it, so I decided "Why not? Let's go fishing." Shiny Kingdra. After a few seconds of disbelief, I was like "F YEAH, 'MURICA" and decided to do that math. 5% chance to find a Kingdra, and 0.012207031% chance to find a shiny. Splice those together and I had a 0.000610351% chance experience. I was ecstatic. However, throughout my ENTIRE Black 2 playthrough, I've caught every single Pokémon in normal Poké Balls, legendaries and all. I figured I was fine, with my stockpile of something like 96 or whatever at the time, because the plan was to use them on Dragonite. After nearly two hours of toying with Kingdra (Level 53, so it had Dragon Dance and could bone my entire team, save for my DW Alomomola. I had whittled it down into the yellow by repeatedly abusing Alomomola's pitiful attack, combined with Waterfall's flinch to keep it from using all of it's PP. Ended up happening that I couldn't catch it, because it Struggled itself to death. I raged so hard at this, and still haven't even found the Dragonite I was looking for D:

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I forgot that my first shiny (a RE Bidoof) was on the save file and reset it. Doesn't really bother me- now that I know how to chain, I can catch virtually any chainable Pokemon as a shiny within a few days.

H0tB3ans

What is Sylveon?~
    Years
  • It was a Friday night, I had planned to go bowling but a thunderstorm ha occurred, so I decided to continue my Let's Play Pokèmon Platinum. I was just on the route travelling to Snowpoint City, an a wild, Shiny Snover appeared! At that point, I was just heck yeah! So I fought the Snover, got it's HP down low and threw an Ultra Ball. It shook. Then it shook. And then i- crashed.

My ROM had crashed, and I was furious. I then tried to turn it on, but no luck. After nearly 45 minutes of trying and trying, it flicked on. But the save file had gone. That was when I got angry. I had nearly finished the National PokèDex in that file, and it had all gone. I then proceeded to delete the YouTube account I was filming for at the time and stopped playing Pokèmon for 6 months.

-Slick-

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2017
    My worst shiny experience took place at the first game where they were introduced, Pokemon Gold. I was in the Lake of Rage and I used headbutt on a tree all the way at the top right of the map. To my surprise I seen a butterfree who's color looked different than normal. I looked at my inventory, and realized I had no more pokeballs left. This was one of my worst pokemon experiences of all time because I had witnessed a shiny and could do nothing to catch it. Fast forward many years later, I caught a shiny voltorb during the New mauville mission in Pokemon Saphire and also found and captured Shiny Zubat. So I'm not really disappointed, since I've learned that many people have never even encountered a real shiny at all in their career (excluding Red Gyarados).

Jigglymilk

Night Of The Final Day
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2016
    I found a shiny sableye when I was playing sapphire around launch. All I thought was "wtf a brown sableye? how?" and I killed it cause I thought it looked ugly... ._.

Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2016
    My first ever shiny encounter was on Pokemon flora sky when I was running to a pokemon center and it was a level 2 Rattata, I was like "The hell, finally after 10 years of pokemon it's a rattata?" Caught it then continued on my way.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've encountered a couple of shinies randomly in the wild before. Oddly enough, all of the ones I've seen naturally tend to be golden. Of those that I can remember, at least. I once found a shiny Poochyena early on in Pokemon Emerald, directly north of Slateport, I believe, and I caught it. That one was a happy experience.

My bad experience, on the other hand, was seeing a shiny Lickitung in the SoulSilver safari zone. One: I like Lickitung. Two: it was gold, so that was appealing. 3: It was a shiny, so I wanted it by default.
    I had almost all of my Safari Balls left, but . . . I . . . well, let's just say it fled. I got soooo mad . . . lol.

Back