• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Members edit thread titles

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
Years
  • (Shouldn't there be a "Suggestion" prefix? :P)

Anyway, I have a suggestion. I think that Members should be allowed to edit their own thread titles, considering they did create the thread in the first place.
    Code:
    [B]Supporters:[/B]

Faint Brushfire
    Angela
    Lucario 9
    Counter me at will.

Angela

Aristocracy
    Years
  • (Shouldn't there be a "Suggestion" prefix? :P)

Anyway, I have a suggestion. I think that Members should be allowed to edit their own thread titles, considering they did create the thread in the first place.
    Code:
    [B]Supporters:[/B]

Faint Brushfire
    Counter me at will.
    Yes, I think so to on both suggestions, but I already suggested the prefixes and got shot down,

And I think the title editing is a necessary thing in the member fan club section, and in the wifi section and RPG section.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
  • Also the ROM Hacking section, in case someone changes their mind about a name for their hack. It's a pain to then PM a Moderator to change the title.

Also, thanks for the support.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I'd like to be able to edit my own thread titles as well, it's embarrassing if you make a typo, you can't change it and a mod won't.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Count me in for supporting this idea. I believe that all members should be able to edit the title of their own threads. I also wouldn't mind members being able to close their own threads in certain forums. I notice a lot of threads being closed because the creator requested it. I for one think it's pointless to burden the mods with such a request. Either members should be able to close their own threads themself or they not have that ability at all. (not even able to ask a mod to close it for them)

Of course I know we cant satisfy everyone. So, my compromise would be to allow everyone to be able to close their own threads only in certain forums. (this would be something that could be decided by the mods of each forum) I understand members not being able to close their own threads in forums like MFC.

Years
  • I would guess that the restriction on the editing of titles is in place to prevent the abuse of such a right, coupled with the fact that titles being edited at will is annoying, to be frank. If you're looking for a thread and can't find it due to its title having been changed you're going to get fairly irritated.

Kit-Tsukasa

Shiny Mew and Espeon Lover
    Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2012
    I support this. I trade a lot so I definitely would like to update my trade thread titles...from time to time, they feel really old/outdated.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • That's something I've seen more than once in the PFF. XD You'll get this author who's really enthusiastic about posting their work, but then, all of a sudden, they realize they typo'd the crap out of their title. Alternatively, they realize they forgot the rating or something along those lines. So, then, they bug Astinus, which is always fun times.

In other words, yeah, it'd be really cool to edit titles.

Edit:

Erebus said:
    I would guess that the restriction on the editing of titles is in place to prevent the abuse of such a right,

When the mods have done it from time to time? XD My dear has not spent much time in the PFF.

Besides, I would imagine that the thread creator wouldn't have the thread title deviate too much from the original, and if they did, it's probably because the title was so outdated that no one remembers what the original was called anyway.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Ask a staff to clarify/edit titles or (for trade threads) close it if you want a totally different title?

I would understand that it's a pain, but they're busy. Your thread isn't going to explode if it isn't changed asap.

Idk, it could be abused.. Yet another thing for staff to pay attention to?

For typos, I believe you can quickly edit it after you post. o_o

For now, not supporting, but I'm kinda split.. :0

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • I would guess that the restriction on the editing of titles is in place to prevent the abuse of such a right, coupled with the fact that titles being edited at will is annoying, to be frank.
    That's rubbish. Take a look at the TCTI, my friend. You've never been there? xD Two days ago it was "Frosted Flakes! They're better than good! They're TCTI!" Before that it was "Went and Aizuke sitting in a tree, T-C-T-I".

And anyway, it's your own. If you change it to something stupid and people can't tell which it is, that's your problem.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Indeed. I doubt there's much room for abusing thread title editing. If you're dumb enough to over edit your own thread titles, it's your loss. people will go to another thread.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Ask a staff to clarify/edit titles

For minor typos, this could prove to be an annoyance for them, particularly if they get a lot of requests as it is. Yes, you could quickly edit, but I've seen typos in the PFF that the thread creators complain about hours later, usually after they're pointed out.

Given that we trust people to create these titles in the first place, I just don't understand why people say it could be easily abused as long as it's restricted to the thread creator. I mean, it's not like we're going to edit our thread title to read "FREE BEER." It'd probably just be minor edits to reflect what the content of the thread is.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Exactly. And as for allowing us to close our own threads, I suggest this because I see a number of threads closed on request of the creator in certain sections. Why not allow the members to do it their self? (It's not like the mods have to open the thread back up) And obviously, if the thread creator is the creator of something like the MOTM or something they can be infracted if they close it too soon, and it'd save the mods trouble because the thread creator can close it at the proper time without tugging on a mod to do so.

That and I'm sure there can be a way to appeal a thread creator's decision to close the thread by PMing a mod. (And if the creator recloses the thread before the mods say it's ok, just hand them an infraction)

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • I don't like this "It's an annoyance for the staff" argument. The staff should be the ones deciding what's an annoyance and what's not, and I've never seen a staff complaining about changing a title or closing a thread.

I'm pretty sure this was discussed already within the past month in a separate thread, though. I can't see us changing a rule we've had in place since the beginning for the "convenience" of the members when the safer route works just fine. I know this comes off as harsh, but suck it up and wait if you want a title change. It won't kill you to PM a mod. The same can be said about closings. =/

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Hahaha. Well you cant blame us for trying. To say the least at least we think about the staff. (or try to)
    I know none of the staff has ever complained about it before (Probably because most of you enjoy your jobs) but I dont think it could harm anything to give our idea a chance

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
  • Having members able to close their own threads will be annoying in some forums such as mine. It would cause a lot of clutter and frustration for the mods to clean up and deal with.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • That's why I initially suggested that this ability be left up to the mods of each forum. If you, as a mod of DPP decide that it'd be too much trouble to deal with, then you could leave things as is in your forum.

Back