• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Members edit thread titles

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Having the rules about member self locking varying for each forum would be cumbersome and would probably tick some members off because they can close their own threads somewhere but not somewhere else. Something like this should be all or nothing.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Having the rules about member self locking varying for each forum would be cumbersome and would probably tick some members off because they can close their own threads somewhere but not somewhere else. Something like this should be all or nothing.

But just because we cant please everyone, doesn't mean this has to be all or nothing. :<
    Why not go with the majority?

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    The closing threads I do not agree with. That is an ability that should be left for moderators and any higher staff.

Regular members changing the title on their own threads should be allowed, cause if you just go to the 'go advanced' button when editing, there should be a title changing area.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    Even if it IS our aim. We cant always do it. I know it's tough but if we aim to please, it's not harmful to go with the majority. (I'm not sure how many people actually support my addendum but I don't think it should be overlooked)

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Well in all honesty, I don't think members being able to change their thread titles is a good idea, simply because then it'd be so hard to find threads.

I mean, there are those members who'd change every other second of the friggin' day if they could, and I don't want to go looking around for a thread that's right under my nose, if you catch my drift.

As for closing threads, um.... Ehhhh, I don't really like that idea either, because... that's kind of what our mods are for, and we're cutting half of their entire purpose this way. :|

Zebra Thunderhead

the avenger
    Years
    Gilgαmesh said:

Guys, can't we deal with the time limit? I mean, the mods are there for a reason, and if we ever make a mistake, they're there for us to contact. Of course they can't be there 24/7; they have lives to live, and PC isn't a top priority for them. As David said, the members closing their own threads isn't going to happen, and members freely editing isn't going to happen too. Since no staff member complained, there's really no need for this to be enforced.

Besides, I don't see why a staff member would complain about a thread title typo. :| Like I know more than half of them have dealt with something harder than that, now.

Quoted for infinite truth. Read this.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I do agree with that post, so, I guess the thread should be closed with that said?
    It's staff's decision! :P

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    I really don't mind editing thread titles. As long as they link to it so I don't have to search for thread, it's no hassle at all. We don't close threads on request in most forums - only the creative forums (ROM hacking, graphics, RPs). Otherwise, we don't close threads unless they've turned into complete spampits. :|

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    If the thread is recent and you're keeping track of it, it should still be on the first page. Therefore you wouldn't need to use the Search tool to search for the thread, though I guess it could be pretty annoying if you didn't recognize it at first.

Didn't expect this thread to gain so much attention so quickly, especially from the Staff.

Also, I strongly disagree with the members being able to lock their own threads idea. Also, send that to another thread, it isn't to be discussed here.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    What do you guys think about a compromise, then? As in, extend the thread title past only a few minutes. The problem with that might be for someone with dial-up (like me) who takes awhile to load a page to begin with. Not to mention while we're editing all kinds of other things, we might not see typos in a thread right off the bat. You still have that window to prevent us from doing stuff that would make you have to watch us with titles, but it should give us time to fix it ourselves, rather than add to the list of things a mod needs to do. Yes, you've said you have no problem fixing thread titles, but it still seems unnecessary to bother people with better things to do by asking them to fix tiny details we might catch ourselves a little too late. This, of course, excludes the point about the trading threads, but it at least covers the complaints some people make in the PFF from time to time.

This all, unfortunately, assumes that what was said earlier about the time limit being five to ten minutes is true. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

luke

Master of the Elements
    Years
    If the thread is recent and you're keeping track of it, it should still be on the first page. Therefore you wouldn't need to use the Search tool to search for the thread, though I guess it could be pretty annoying if you didn't recognize it at first.

Didn't expect this thread to gain so much attention so quickly, especially from the Staff.

Also, I strongly disagree with the members being able to lock their own threads idea. Also, send that to another thread, it isn't to be discussed here.

Usually, I get a request in a PM. So if they don't link to it, I might not know what forum it's in (sometimes it's not obvious by the title). So I have to leave the PM and find it. But really, this isn't much of a hassle either. It takes only like a minute at the most.

What do you guys think about a compromise, then? As in, extend the thread title past only a few minutes. The problem with that might be for someone with dial-up (like me) who takes awhile to load a page to begin with. Not to mention while we're editing all kinds of other things, we might not see typos in a thread right off the bat. You still have that window to prevent us from doing stuff that would make you have to watch us with titles, but it should give us time to fix it ourselves, rather than add to the list of things a mod needs to do. Yes, you've said you have no problem fixing thread titles, but it still seems unnecessary to bother people with better things to do by asking them to fix tiny details we might catch ourselves a little too late. This, of course, excludes the point about the trading threads, but it at least covers the complaints some people make in the PFF from time to time.

This all, unfortunately, assumes that what was said earlier about the time limit being five to ten minutes is true. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Usually the staff is just drudging around the forums anyway. We're not constantly doing secret staff stuff. We do have free time contrary to what people are saying in this thread. If something becomes a hassle to us, expect an announcement from us or something. Really, what you guys don't seem to understand is that changing thread titles and locking threads really isn't that big of a deal.

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    Eh, if it isn't that big of a deal then it can be left. I just thought that it would be a lot quicker and easier for us to edit it, and I thought that we should have the rights to because after all, we posted the thread.

It would be very nice to have, but it's not a must in my opinion.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
    Usually the staff is just drudging around the forums anyway. We're not constantly doing secret staff stuff. We do have free time contrary to what people are saying in this thread. If something becomes a hassle to us, expect an announcement from us or something. Really, what you guys don't seem to understand is that changing thread titles and locking threads really isn't that big of a deal.

Oh, I have no doubt you're not doing staff stuff 24/7. I'm just saying it seems like it could be rather minor and annoying for both parties to have to go through a roundabout way to change, for example, "Hoen" to "Hoenn" if the first party could easily do that themselves but didn't realize that it was misspelled until fifteen minutes after they make their thread, if that makes sense. As in, a process that would take only about a minute for the thread creator (once they realize they need to do it, of course) turns into a process of anywhere from a couple of minutes to a few hours that begins with a PM to the mod, continues into waiting for the mod to get online and possibly squaring away more important duties (like attending to post reports for their forum), and finally ends with the mod not only taking a minute to change the thread title but also perhaps sending a PM back to say they are or will take care of it. It seems rather simpler just to extend the window for something so minor.

Last edited:

Brushfire

afc bournemouth <3
    Years
    I can't see us changing a rule we've had in place since the beginning for the "convenience" of the members when the safer route works just fine.

I'm not getting this "safer route". Do you mean members might rename their thread to something inapropriate? If so, they could do that when they posted the thread anyway.

Back