• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hurricane Irene

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
Years
Days after the earthquake, this happens.

I call 2012 conspiracy theory.

Looks like it'll be a really serious hurricane. It will hit North Carolina, then upwards on East Coast, passing major cities, including DC, Baltimore (closest city to where I live), Pennsylvania, and NYC. I've also read that it's the same size as Katrina... :paranoid:

Lenax

Wishin' Star
Years
Wow, the size of Katrina? ....Looks like everyone should prepare for major destruction, then. I have a bunch of friends that I consider my family over there. I'm worried. =(

Now I'm sorta glad I live in Arizona... @_@

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
Uh, hurricane Irene has existed for awhile before the Earthquake and we've know that the path would most likely result in a U.S. landfall for awhile.

(For all those thinking "OH IT'S THE SIZE OF KATRINA?!" read before posting) That being said, it's not going to result in anything like Katrina. The reason Katrina was so devastating was because of infrastructure failure caused by stress of the hurricane, NOT because of the size (although that didn't help). Unless if there are below sea-level cities only kept dry by poorly maintained levies in the general location of the landfall (if it does make landfall, it's possible it won't) then it won't be nearly as bad.

If it does make landfall and travel over land up north, it will weaken considerably. It's not like it's going to stay a major hurricane the entire time. lol And all hurricanes that might make US landfalls get this much publicity. There's nothing that sets this hurricane apart from other major hurricanes.

Hopefully it weakens by the time it makes landfall. I believe it is supposed to weaken to a Category 2 before it is supposed to make landfall.

Years
Katrina was a freak, one in a million storm. Literally the epitome of 'The Perfect Storm". Irene can't do to the east coast what Katrina did to the Gulf.

What interests me is that it's slated to hit the Outer Banks, a longtime vacation spot for my family. Lots of history and memories there, hopefully it won't be damaged badly. :/ Also, Irene looks to be upgraded to category 4 sometime soon.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
Yup, Hurricane Irene's actually supposed to reach my area by Sunday if it makes landfall. Hopefully it will weaken before then and there won't be too much damage, but there's no telling what will happen.

This definitely won't be as bad as Katrina because Katrina was devastating for purposes triggered by the hurricane.

Cordelia

Banned
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 21, 2014
It's supposed to be here Saturday... glad we got our generator up and running!! I just hope we won't lose power for that long...

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
We have property on the South Carolina coast, so we're hoping it doesn't veer west and make landfall early. I'm just wondering what effects we'll feel where I'm living, approximately 200-300 miles inland from the coast. Guess it's wait for the weekend and see.

Kevin

kevin del rey
Years
I live in Virginia, and heard about this hurricane about an hour after that earthquake happened...

Hopefully nothing disastrous will happen where I live. They said it will hit us on Sunday.

Years
  • Seen Jul 10, 2012
he eye of the storm is actually sapposed to go right over were i used to live, ll.good thing i moved.

Years
I live on long island (outside NYC) so its supposed to hit me at first on Saturday and then keep going through Sunday. That said, I'm not worried. Power wise I have enough redundences to keep lights and my cellphone working for sometime and if my cell is working I have internet. I have food water and so on and so forth along with batteries. I'm rather looking forward to this actually, I love storms.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023
This just in from Twitter:

***BREAKING*** NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for low-lying areas. Goes into effect at 5pm Saturday

I feel like this is a bit overreaction. The hurricane will be a category 1 by the time it's supposed to hit, and it's not even certain if it will hit. :/

Years
This just in from Twitter:

***BREAKING*** NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg announces MANDATORY EVACUATIONS for low-lying areas. Goes into effect at 5pm Saturday

Wow. If they're evacuating parts of New York, this must be worse than anticipated. This is like something from a doomsday movie.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023

Wow. If they're evacuating parts of New York, this must be worse than anticipated. This is like something from a doomsday movie.

No, it's actually better than anticipated. The hurricane is weaker than it was predicted to be, the pressure has became lighter and it shrank in size. The NYC mayor is just overreacting.

Years
No, it's actually better than anticipated. The hurricane is weaker than it was predicted to be, the pressure has became lighter and it shrank in size. The NYC mayor is just overreacting.

Yeah, just went on CNN and it's dropped to a Category 2 storm. Plus, Irene is probably too far north now to pick up more steam and get back to Cat. 3.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
Years
  • Age 31
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 4, 2023

Yeah, just went on CNN and it's dropped to a Category 2 storm. Plus, Irene is probably too far north now to pick up more steam and get back to Cat. 3.

Yep. It's going to be a weak category 1 by the time it reaches New York City - possibly even a tropical storm if it slows down over land.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
For those of you who think people are overreacting...the East Coast (or at least the Mid-Atlantic) hasn't seen a hurricane since Isabel in 2003. That was devastating, and it was only a category 1. Irene is expected to move through as a 2. It's similar to Ike (2008) in both sheer size (it's over 600 miles wide) and intensity, and Ike was a disaster of historic proportions in Texas. And Irene is expected to move up the coast pretty much right on the edge of the water, meaning it's not going to lose much strength.

Irene's expected to directly pass right over where I live tomorrow. Heavy, torrential rain starts tonight and goes through Sunday morning, with 10-15 inches quite possible. They're calling for up to 90 MPH winds. And to top it all off, the heart of the storm is expected to move through pretty close to high tide, meaning that the storm surge is going to top off already high water. Everything is in place for this to be a really really devastating storm, if not disastrous...probably the worst storm we've experienced in my lifetime.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
When I first started following Irene, I was certain it was gonna strike somewhere here in South Florida, but it took that huge turn and pretty much all we got were a couple showers here. Even though we're prone to hurricanes, we've been rather lucky that last couple years. Last one was about 7 years ago.

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
  • Seen Dec 30, 2022
I'm actually surprised at how far up north Irene is expected to come to. Although I'm quite thankful I live far enough up north and west to not be struck by Irene's destruction, I'm very concerned for the friends of mine who live near or underneath Irene's expected path.

The only good news I can see here is that Irene is expected to lower in power, down to Category 1 or lower, by the time it hits the north-eastern coast. Seems North Carolina is going to be hit the hardest with Category 2 winds and rain for a total of 7-8 hours. I wish the best for all those who will be affected by the wrath of Irene.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 19, 2021
The fact that it's gonna completely cover New Jersey is freaking me out. One of my friends lives in New York, and they're being evacuated. So I'm hoping he's safe.

JP

wut?
Years
  • Age 33
  • USA
  • Seen Dec 13, 2019
It's going to pass through where I live Sunday. Should be interesting, haven't experienced a Hurricane since 2003 and that one didn't feel too bad. We are expected to not have power for about 3 days though, which sucks. Also suppose to be in the eye when it passes over this way, though this is what someone told me, can't be sure obviously. Also, could have sworn I saw on the news that it'll drop to a Cat. 1 by the time it gets to Delaware (here), which would be nice I guess lol.

Back