• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hurricane Irene

Cordelia

Banned
Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Got really lucky here, never lost power. Took my family over to my parents and we were all safe. No damage here but soon I have to go home and check it out.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I live in Queens, New York City, which is right next to the heart of New York City, Manhattan, and I must say, I didn't go through much, really. Other than it raining all night, no destruction, no power outages, or any of the like for me. I haven't gone outside yet, so I dunno about the flooding in my area, but I don't live in ANY of the zones placed in New York City (my school was in Zone A though, downtown Manhattan, which is where it was supposed to hit hardest and get flooded... fingers crossed for late school). I slept through the whole thing, and I must say, personally, it was nothing. I do know that this thing caused massive damage down south though, along with a ton of flooding elsewhere in NYC, and my heart goes out to them.

an illegible mess.

[i]i'll make [b]tiny changes[/b] to earth.[/i]
    Years
  • it just passed me, actually. on friday we were getting rain bands and small gusts of 50 mph wind, but there wasn't massive destruction. my uncle lives in new york city, he said the earthquake wasn't that bad for him, and he's excited about the hurricane (he LOVES storms). i'm still very worried about him though.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • The hurricane already passed NYC. Just goes to show that my prediction of almost nothing happening and that this was overhyped so much was completely true.

The only thing I have heard so far from Irene is inland flooding and power outages along with very minor damage. No major damage, a death toll of 11 I believe is very low for a hurricane, although still sad.

This storm wasn't strong at all. It was overhyped. Now everyone is just staring at themselves wondering why worse didn't happen.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Ahh thank god thats good then, I have a few friends over there. and i havn't heard from them in a few days. Lucky over here. In england we hardly ever ever get tornados.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Ahh thank god thats good then, I have a few friends over there. and i havn't heard from them in a few days. Lucky over here. In england we hardly ever ever get tornados.

Tornadoes and hurricanes are two completely different things.

This is a tornado. A tornado, at the strongest possible scale is probably a kilometer wide.

This is a hurricane. They can become the size of states/countries depending on the size of the states. That hurricane is obviously way bigger than a single kilometer.

Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2011
    Ahh you learn something new everyday I actually didn't know that, ahh now I feel dumb :/

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • The hurricane already passed NYC. Just goes to show that my prediction of almost nothing happening and that this was overhyped so much was completely true.

The only thing I have heard so far from Irene is inland flooding and power outages along with very minor damage. No major damage, a death toll of 11 I believe is very low for a hurricane, although still sad.

This storm wasn't strong at all. It was overhyped. Now everyone is just staring at themselves wondering why worse didn't happen.

The media always seems to overhype these things...among other things.Lucky you guys didn't get the worse case scenerio :)any date on when New york will open up it's subways?

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • Hey, guys, remember Harold Camping? The guy who predicted the Rapture/End of life on Earth while the internet laughed at him and held parties?

Read this.

http://judgementday2011.com/

"Hurricane Irene just another sign the Rapture is near"
    "Earthquake and the floods prove end of the world is near"
    "Earthquake in D.C. shakes the East Coast -- Another Sign of the End of the World"

Are you serious? This is both laughable, sad, and maddening at the same time.

Head_desk___Forkke_by_NeoSlashott.gif

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • I did think the media overreact, but I've had power outage for more than 24 hours and I'm still having it right now. My laptop has 20 minutes left and I had to "borrow" a public internet just so I could do some basic stuff and revisiting pokecommunity, etc. This just sucks.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I did think the media overreact, but I've had power outage for more than 24 hours and I'm still having it right now. My laptop has 20 minutes left and I had to "borrow" a public internet just so I could do some basic stuff and revisiting pokecommunity, etc. This just sucks.

At least you have internet! Most the people without power are also without internet - for obvious reason.

I once had to go 3 days without power in the middle of winter thanks to a horrible ice storm followed by a blizzard. Yay for lake effect snow. -_- I'd gladly be without power if I were on the coast.

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
  • At least you have internet! Most the people without power are also without internet - for obvious reason.

I once had to go 3 days without power in the middle of winter thanks to a horrible ice storm followed by a blizzard. Yay for lake effect snow. -_- I'd gladly be without power if I were on the coast.

I've not had internet for 24 hours before I was able to access my computer and internet for 30 minutes at most. It was also frustrating, because our apartment blocks were one of the last to get our power back. (hence "borrowing" someone else's public internet - even then I was lucky to find one)

The experience sucked (If it was longer I'd have gone slightly mental), but at least my school opening day is delayed :cheeky:. I don't know for how long though.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • I personally don't think it was an overreaction.

Keep in mind that they were predicting Irene to be a strong Cat 3 or even a Cat 4 when it made landfall in NC. It was predicted to be a Cat 2 when it hit NY. The reason it weakened was because it sucked in a lot of dry air after turning north and didn't reorganize in time.

The only reason people are considering it an overreaction was because it weakened. Considering the amount of people affected by this storm, I don't think it was an overraction at all.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I personally don't think it was an overreaction.

Keep in mind that they were predicting Irene to be a strong Cat 3 or even a Cat 4 when it made landfall in NC. It was predicted to be a Cat 2 when it hit NY. The reason it weakened was because it sucked in a lot of dry air after turning north and didn't reorganize in time.

The only reason people are considering it an overreaction was because it weakened. Considering the amount of people affected by this storm, I don't think it was an overraction at all.

No it wasn't. They never predicted it to be a strong category 3 or 4 when it was supposed to make landfall in NYC. They knew that it was going to hit the dry air and wind sheer, that's all predictable.

They thought it was going to be a major hurricane when in hit North Carolina, but about a day before the actual landfall they said it was going to make landfall as a category 2. They were ALWAYS saying that it was going to make landfall in NYC as a weak category 2 at most and that it was very unlikely to be any stronger than a category 1.

A hurricane's strength is highly predictable, and very easily so. It's the path that is more unpredictable.

Landorus, jab2033 said NC as in North Carolina, not NYC as in New York City for the area to be affected by the Category 3 landfall.

Oh.

HerpDerp.png

Last edited:
    Years
  • I don't think the media overreacted that much, a lot of damage has been done from Irene.

Anyway, I have no damage done by me, but I did lose power for like a day. That sucked, but at least im ok.

Years
  • Landorus, jab2033 said NC as in North Carolina, not NYC as in New York City for the area to be affected by the Category 3 landfall.

Considering that it's a hurricane hitting the rarely hit portions of the East Coast with upwards of 60 million people potentially affected, I think the reaction was appropriate. It just seems overblown due the 24 hour cycle news networks operate on, and the fact that the storm fell apart before hitting New York. It still dumped insane amounts of rain in many areas of the Northeast even though it was broken apart.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Let's not forget the fact that Irene was basically the first Hurricane that really hit America in years. The past few Hurricane Seasons were basically duds. While it may have fallen apart before it his New York, it hit pretty badly in some areas as a Category 3, and with that said the new coverage was appropriate. Now if it came under difference circumstances I would be thinking otherwise.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I have to agree that NYC overhyped this hurricane. I mean, it was a bad hurricane, but New Jersey was what got hit bad, not New York. Truth be told, I think Mayor Bloomberg (mayor of NYC) just didn't wanna risk getting his butt flamed again after the failure with the post Christmas Blizzard. Ah, I remember that day well.

Back