• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hurricane Irene

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    For those of you who think people are overreacting...the East Coast (or at least the Mid-Atlantic) hasn't seen a hurricane since Isabel in 2003. That was devastating, and it was only a category 1. Irene is expected to move through as a 2. It's similar to Ike (2008) in both sheer size (it's over 600 miles wide) and intensity, and Ike was a disaster of historic proportions in Texas. And Irene is expected to move up the coast pretty much right on the edge of the water, meaning it's not going to lose much strength.

Irene's expected to directly pass right over where I live tomorrow. Heavy, torrential rain starts tonight and goes through Sunday morning, with 10-15 inches quite possible. They're calling for up to 90 MPH winds. And to top it all off, the heart of the storm is expected to move through pretty close to high tide, meaning that the storm surge is going to top off already high water. Everything is in place for this to be a really really devastating storm, if not disastrous...probably the worst storm we've experienced in my lifetime.
    Isabel was bad. Irene is a big storm and it is gonna be bad. Lots of rain, lots of wind, flooding, power loss potentially, this is going to have a big affect on the areas its hitting. My house is surrounded by woods, so Im hoping no trees fall. I just hope there isnt too much damage and that we dont lose power. If we do, I hope it isnt for long, like days. My area hasnt had a storm like this since Isabel in 2003.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
    Years
  • I'm quite a ways inland, so I don't think it'll get too bad where I live (northern VA). Still, they are expecting 20-40 mph sustained winds and thunderstorms. My area is supposed to get the worst of it between 5pm Saturday and 5am Sunday.

Thing about Isabelle was that it basically went right up the Chesapeake Bay, and this one is farther East, so I don't think it'll be as bad.

I guess tornadoes from this thing could be a more dangerous threat. I just hope I don't loose power. I need my internet!!

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • For those of you who think people are overreacting...the East Coast (or at least the Mid-Atlantic) hasn't seen a hurricane since Isabel in 2003. That was devastating, and it was only a category 1. Irene is expected to move through as a 2. It's similar to Ike (2008) in both sheer size (it's over 600 miles wide) and intensity, and Ike was a disaster of historic proportions in Texas. And Irene is expected to move up the coast pretty much right on the edge of the water, meaning it's not going to lose much strength.

Irene's expected to directly pass right over where I live tomorrow. Heavy, torrential rain starts tonight and goes through Sunday morning, with 10-15 inches quite possible. They're calling for up to 90 MPH winds. And to top it all off, the heart of the storm is expected to move through pretty close to high tide, meaning that the storm surge is going to top off already high water. Everything is in place for this to be a really really devastating storm, if not disastrous...probably the worst storm we've experienced in my lifetime.

Isabel was stronger than a category one and stronger than Irene at landfall.

Last edited:

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • It's getting pretty bad here. The wind is absolutely wicked and it's been raining cats and dogs. The eye is a little over 100 miles south of us, so we're not even getting the hurricane conditions yet - and won't until tonight. Crossing my fingers that we'll keep power, but I'm not optimistic.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Ugh, this is awful. I'm sooo freakin' out, due to having a number of friends in it's path. @__@ Bugs me because it's like "I'LL HELP YOU D8", but then I'm stuck in freakin' Kansas, and we can't do anything to stop it anyway. I'm just hoping that things don't get too bad. If Virginia and surroundings states lose power, then.. ugh. At least people will have cellphones for a time, but eh.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    The power went out for an hour at about noon, I hope since we're supposed to be getting the worst of it tonight, that we wont lose power. We lost the water during that hour too. Mom says if that happens again, she wants to leave the house and go to a hotel where there is running water for the night.

Years
  • Ugh I live in Virginia and I had to exactness to Martinsville, but I just ate really good homemade food at a restaurant that cost really good for me and family and friends totaling nine!

Omg did you see what was on the news!

The News Reporter was standing out in Virginia talking about how Virginians aren't taking the hurricane seriously and a guy walks out of his home behind the cameraman and pools his pants down and the agency or whatever that delays stuff on tv by seven seconds so they can censor it couldn't censor the guy pooling his pants down and showing his junk on tv. ROFL XD

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    I live near the boston area and it just rained, but it lightened so I guess it was just rain lol.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • It was raining this whole day. Not extremely hard, but it wasn't a light drizzle either. No thunder or lightning either. Glad there weren't any power outages.

Buut my sister said that it'll get worse where I live tomorrow. Hopefully that isn't true, but it probably will be.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • there have been 10 reported deaths as of this postand hundreds of thousands have lost power...sure looks awful but imagine if it had come as a level two instead of weakening to one...hope there's no more deaths.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Wonder what New York is going to look like tomorrow. Right now it's just empty and rainy.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    I'm in New York (Long Island, to be specific) and it's raining men, hallelujah! really hard. The winds are pretty fast, but they're still kicking in. There's also some lightning and thunder. I just hope that no one in my area gets harmed so that they can just continue with their lives if they take precaution.

The power here keeps restarting, but it doesn't go out for us, it seems.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Wonder what New York is going to look like tomorrow. Right now it's just empty and rainy.

I'm going to bet money on that besides broken windows, trees, power lines - you know, the stuff that a normal strong storm would do, nothing will be that different.

Back