• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I learn better by reading.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
  • This idea occurred to me during English class today...sooo yeah, another English-class related poll by me xD

Whenever you're at school learning a new lesson daily, or learning how to do something like following a recipe or installing a new computer. Even installing a swing set for your kids (just an example!), the big question would be...how do you learn them? Many people in the world learn things differently, they may have a good memory by taking pictures of things with their mind, or they can follow directions very well by reading instructions in a book rather than watching a how-to youtube video...or simply take notes.

Below, I listed seven of the common learning styles. I also linked to their information pages to learn more...not really a quiz per se, but it's something to learn! xD

Visual (spatial): You prefer using pictures, images, and spatial understanding.
    Aural (auditory-musical): You prefer using sound and music.
    Verbal (linguistic): You prefer using words, both in speech and writing.
    Physical (kinesthetic): You prefer using your body, hands and sense of touch.
    Logical (mathematical): You prefer using logic, reasoning and systems.
    Social (interpersonal): You prefer to learn in groups or with other people.
    Solitary (intrapersonal): You prefer to work alone and use self-study.

Applying to either school, or daily life, or both...what is your preferred learning style of the above?

thor348

That's Oak to You
    Years
  • if you split 50-50 exactly, i'm logical and visual. mainly cause i'm a mathematician by profession haha but also cause I can take pictures of things in my head and recall about 70-90% of the detail depending on what i'm remembering.

Years
  • I don't think I fall under just one of those styles! :(
    I have used aural, physical, logical, social and solitary types of learning and they are all effective for me.​

Years
  • I'm similar to the Captain. I learn in different ways depending on the context involved though I believe I learn best by taking action rather than just reading about something.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I learn better if someone shows me what to do.which I never got at school or college I guess that I fall under Visual learning.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I fall under a bit of every type of learning, but mostly through Visual learning. I can't absorb what lecturers are saying properly as the sound of their voices droning on and on in front of the lecture hall lulls me to sleep after half an hour. Even if I did stay awake for the whole lecture, I don't expect to get more than 20% of what the lecturer actually talked about. This is why I tend to skip lectures lol. I usually just stay at home and read the lecture slides provided. I can then learn and absorb at my own pace without the effect of the sleep-inducing voice.

But that sometimes fails me as laziness takes hold a lot. I learn best when I see how people do things and the processes that they take to complete the task. This is one of the reasons why I dislike individual assignments - you have to depend on your own self to finish the task without direct help from other people, which I am not good at. Monkey see monkey do: that's me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I fit best in Visual, Aural, Physical and Solitary. Physical is probably the best for me, because I have trouble with my memory and I'm more likely to correctly recall a memory of me doing something than anything else.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    I'm a mix of a Visual, Logical, & Solitary learner.

Visual as I've got a good visual perception & because of that, I've got proficiency in anything spatial in regards to some puzzles & other problems.

Logical because I like to think stuff through very carefully first, & connect two things together if they fit properly. Thus, I've got a better memory than others.

Solitary since, unlike Synerjee, I prefer to work by myself. I don't work well with other people, partly because of pride, & partly because I trust nobody but myself. Another thing is, I'm better by myself at tasks that would normally require at least a pair of people to do.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I tend to learn things better if I actually do them. Sometimes, just listening to what I have to do helps.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I'm a bit mixed in my learning. I think in pictures, so usually listening is fine, but my mind has a tendency to not see things as they're being described, so things that are easy to follow, yeah I can see that, but if you start talking about like THE ACADIAN OROGENY then you should probably give me a diagram to draw and I can piece it together. That being said, I love visuals because then my brain doesn't have a chance to give me a strange mental image and mess things up. I like hands on things too, especially with things like math. I am awful at math, and when you have something physical and relatable to go with it, it makes so much more sense. Like using Skittles for probability and using blocks or pizzas for fractions. I also am very receptive to sounds. To this day, I still remember things I was taught or told in elementary school solely by the way it was said and I can remember it exactly. Jingles help too. Like those little Shirley Method songs about grammar and such haha. So, in total, I'm a visual, hands-on, listener sort of learner. You think with all the things I can work with, I'd be smarter...lol.

The thing that will be hard for me is catering to all areas of learning when I start teaching. I am not logical at all and I'd confuse myself if I tried to teach that way. So there's gonna be a challenge in that, but we'll get to it when it's time haha.

Oh, I'm also very solitary. I hate working with others and don't like people messing up how I do things. As long as I can get the answers correctly, like in math, then I'm gonna keep doing it the way I do it. I don't like relying on other people to and I often never ask for help and have a tendency to lash out on those that try to help. So the moral to that...is don't ever try to tutor me, especially in math. I am really rude, without trying to be haha. My boyfriend was tutoring me before I dropped my math class and I'm surprised he even stayed with me because teaching me math is just...bad. Another reason I like working alone is because no one ever likes my ideas and we go with the blandest/easiest thing. Or my partners don't understand the assignment at all and I end up being the only one doing the work and understanding it. They don't even try. I am fine if I have dependable partners though...but most of the time, I choose to work alone. Just don't like people lol. :(

Years
  • I'd say....visual and solitary at the very least. I've always tended to work better when I'm able to figure things out on my own - I think others trying to help me actually distracts me and then eventually annoys me. Yeah, I never liked group projects in school. :P And I am most definitely a visual learner. Maybe with a touch of verbal, but...that would apply only to writing, really.

Basically, tell me out loud how to do something new, and I'd probably just stand there confused (to my annoyance). Show me how to do something though, or write down instructions for it, and I'll usually get it quickly.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • Solitary, logical, and visual. If I run through something myself, I will remember, learn it, or get better at it. I have to do it myself or I'll forget. When I am shown something I usually forget steps soonafter.

Years
  • Good topic.

I learn well by trying things out, by being "hands on" but I don't know if that's what they mean by physical. I guess I'm a little verbal/social in that I like to talk something out to understand it better, even if I don't like talking with people, but I'm also a visual learner in that I'd take notes and learn better when I write something down... which I guess is physical a bit.

I definitely don't learn just from listening though. That much I'm sure of.

Ven Bloodia

Unmenschsoldat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 1, 2015
    I'm a mixture of visual, physical, and logical as far as learning mechanisms go in helping me excel in whatever I choose to get involved with.

Khawill

<3
    Years
  • Logical, Verbal, and Social in that order. Everything I learn comes naturally but I do occasionally lose a concept, in which I have to think over for days (unreal numbers like i which is the square root of -1, threw me off because I never simplified into it on tests) other things like quadratic equations, and algebra are all very natural (history is easy because I can link everything together and understand the why, though I never get to remember dates and such) Science applies as well. I say social falls over in this group because I learn by teaching, (when I explain it to someone it gives me a chance to say it out loud and write it out, or the other person can correct me).

English is my worst subject (Spanish is easy though, it is all very consistent and such with some exceptions) there are rules that cancel out others, there are numerous grammar rules, so many words are spelled oddly, and I don't have organized thoughts on paper (with math and science order of where I do my work is irrelevant, the answer is the only thing that matters). Not only that but some things in English are just illogical, such as a silent K in knight, why can't knight and night be the same word? It wouldn't be as confusing as the word buffalo (which has several meanings and is a verb/adjective/noun). I mean Orange (fruit) and the color orange are the same word, but you will always know when I mean the fruit. It's hard to make logical connections with English without knowing it's (freakin its) roots, which themselves are butchered German with Latin and other words. It is the mutt language if anything.

Years
  • In school, I tended to do best when I wrote down notes from the board or from speaking. Writing it down solidified it in my mind. So, I'm going to guess that verbal works out the best for me. I can do solitary study, but it stays in my mind longer if I write it down as opposed to just reading it. Reading works very well, though.

At my job, I like being shown as well as being told about it, so that's more visual/physical learning. But for making pizza, seeing how it's done is really the easiest way to learn it. :p

At home, I read instructions and look at any pictures they give me, so it's a combination of verbal and visual.

Back