• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How young is too young for shooters?

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    I've seen a 4 year old play Rated M games, and that is not cool, I don't think. I say the good age is... when they're not n00bish ragequitters. Which varies, honestly. If they are rational and can handle it, I don't care how old they are. (Though I will still think 4 is too young. Seriously?)

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
    Children under 15 shouldn't play shooters, only saying this as my 6 year old step cousin plays COD on his 360. He won't let any switch it off. Once He hit his Dad for switching off.

Years
    I played my first M-Rated game when I was 5...

Anyways, I don't think there should be an age limit, for SINGLE PLAYER. Those 10 year old kids on PSN/XBL are incredibly annoying, and they should not be allowed to be on. I played shooters when I was very young, and I loved it. I see no problem with letting kids play shooters, as long as they are offline.

I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's not about being annoying with a mic, it's the fact that playing these games at a younger age messes with one's mind. At this stage, people are still developing instincts and patterns of thinking (and even into later life, they just have more to work with that is already established).

I'm not saying that playing violent games will make someone violent, but things like GTA are bound to mess with your head at some level. Especially in the later games (Liberty City forwards), where the character-character relationships are more personal and realistic, and you then go on to kill allied characters with no consequences.

DarkVhozon

Steel/Dragon Master
    Years
    Honestly if they want to play em let em play, its hardly anyones right to limit what you can do because of their opinion. I personally am mature for my age yet cant play m games(and I am a solid teenager) though I find way to get around that rule.
    Rating shouldnt judge what I want to do, espically considering how there is a strong chance you will hear/see worse in everyday life. This subject always bugs me stop trying to tell me what Im old.not old enough for....
    Sorry sensitive subject...

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
    I know a 6-year old, 1st Grade, who plays CoD and CS daily. o_o
    But yeah, it's all the fault of the parents. That M or 18 in a red square is there for a reason.
    I think you should only start playing shooters when you know what does a gun do in real life. Um... 12 years ? >_>

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    I think a lot of people are missing the point. It's not about being annoying with a mic, it's the fact that playing these games at a younger age messes with one's mind. At this stage, people are still developing instincts and patterns of thinking (and even into later life, they just have more to work with that is already established).

I'm not saying that playing violent games will make someone violent, but things like GTA are bound to mess with your head at some level. Especially in the later games (Liberty City forwards), where the character-character relationships are more personal and realistic, and you then go on to kill allied characters with no consequences.
    I disagree. This is my opinion, so please don't flame me. If you have a weak enough mind to be swayed by VIDEO GAMES, then you obviously shouldn't be playing them. Most children I know and knew when I way younger, were competent enough to be able to shoot people in a game, and hold a rational view on life. I can say, however, for the most part children these days seem to have a weaker sense of what is right and wrong. For example: the elementary kids at my school say more profane and sexual things than most of the high school kids do. Their minds obviously can be swayed easily, so they shouldn't be playing shooters. That, or their parents should take initiative and teach them right from wrong, but it's a bit late for that.

I know a 6-year old, 1st Grade, who plays CoD and CS daily. o_o
    But yeah, it's all the fault of the parents. That M or 18 in a red square is there for a reason.
    I think you should only start playing shooters when you know what does a gun do in real life. Um... 12 years ? >_>
    If you don't know what a gun does in real life by the time you are 12, you seriously need to get a grip on life itself...

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
    Years
    I'd say about 14. Just as long as you're mature, as I say maturity> age. Still though, 7 year olds should not be playing Call of Duty.

Years
    It depends on maturity, not age.
    And please, all "I'm 16+ so I'm suddenly smart" people, you most like were the same back then, and you probably know the reaction as well; makes me wonder why mute was invented.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    It all depends on maturity. My 13 Year Old cousin is not mature enough, so my aunt and uncle do not let him use the mic. However, his 10 Year Old brother in mature enough, and he can use the mic while playing. He never gets mad, even when he has games of Black Ops where he'll get the worst K/D Ratio.

Years
    • Seen May 16, 2014
    If you as a parent think that your child(or teen) is stable, mature, and sensible enough to not get negatively impacted by blowing off limbs, killing things, and hearing every swear word in the book, then I don't think it matters what age they are when they play shooters and stuff. I'm not saying parents should give their 5 year-olds the controller during a Black Ops match, because regardless of maturity I think kids should just not be exposed to lots of violence, but since there is NO way to know for sure if stuff like that will have a negative impact on someone, I think its just best to stick with the rating system; or actually pay attention to what's happening in the games your kid(s) are playing and how they're reacting to them. Do my nerves get irked when I hear what sounds like an 8 year-old yelling into his mic with a squeaky voice about how "my a** just got raped and I suck balls at Halo"? Of course. Parents just need to step up. Real talk.

Years
    I disagree. This is my opinion, so please don't flame me. If you have a weak enough mind to be swayed by VIDEO GAMES, then you obviously shouldn't be playing them. Most children I know and knew when I way younger, were competent enough to be able to shoot people in a game, and hold a rational view on life. I can say, however, for the most part children these days seem to have a weaker sense of what is right and wrong. For example: the elementary kids at my school say more profane and sexual things than most of the high school kids do. Their minds obviously can be swayed easily, so they shouldn't be playing shooters. That, or their parents should take initiative and teach them right from wrong, but it's a bit late for that.

If you don't know what a gun does in real life by the time you are 12, you seriously need to get a grip on life itself...
    It's not about knowing the difference between games and real life, I don't see where you got that from. It's the fact that it can desensitise people at a younger age, where the brain is still developing. Indeed, other media forms, (films especially) are just as responsible.

Sure, one can know the difference and not let it effect them, but morals and common sense override that. Childhood is the time during which these things form and develop. You don't want to mess with these core mental foundations.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    It's not about knowing the difference between games and real life, I don't see where you got that from. It's the fact that it can desensitise people at a younger age, where the brain is still developing. Indeed, other media forms, (films especially) are just as responsible.

Sure, one can know the difference and not let it effect them, but morals and common sense override that. Childhood is the time during which these things form and develop. You don't want to mess with these core mental foundations.
    Like I said, if your mind is weak enough to be swayed by a VIDEO GAME, then you obviously shouldn't be playing shooters, or any video games for that matter.

wow. if i had kids i would definatelly not let you babysit them. i'm not a psychologist but i know enough to know that it is a bad idea to let a 5 year old play games like gears or l4d2. Even stuff like goldeneye would be pushing it.

i would say it varies from 10-15.
    it mainly depends on the maturity of the person playing, as crystal heart said. The only thing i disagree with is that parents have differant morals and even though they see that they're child is immature, they may let them play violent games anyway. One of my little brother's friend's parents lets they're son, whos 12, play gta. he's already pretty immature but i can see that playing those kinds of games has really done some damage to his brain.
    People that have this crazy idea in their head piss me off. People think playing GAMES will make them kill people. Okay, so did the ancient romans have an incredibly advanced culture, and secretly had video games? I doubt it.

There's **** more important right now then limiting ppl to games.
    I completely agree.

I'd say 10+ for normal shooters and then some of the more gory ones should be 14+. I'd personally say 16 but most people are exposed to gore more than me so the rating would probably suit being a bit less.

CoD or Halo are never going to damage someone mentally.

I don't agree with that at all, there are only a minority under 16 that are stupid using headsets.

I wouldn't bother with xbox live if I didn't have one because the main part of it for me is talking to friends.
    Agreed. There is no way CoD or Halo could make somebody kill people. It's as simple as that.

I don't see what's so bad about shooters. After all, I've been playing Tyrian since about 6...

*Rimshot*

I played F-Zero around the age of 8. That game is rated T for absolutely idiotic reasons, so the rating system is, roughly half the time, moot.

For me, though? I started playing shooters (Tribes) around... 8. At 13, I started playing actually violent shooters (CoD. No offense to Tribes fans, but... There's a world of difference), though I've never played anything like Halo, simply because shooters bore me to death.

In my opinion, I feel like too much attention is given to shooters, anyway. Everyone's been raving about the new Black Ops game, and I've been silently waiting for Golden Sun to come out.

But meh. Y'all can do what you want, I'll stick to Touhou and AW.
    I agree, you can't always count on the ratings, for the good or bad.

Children under 15 shouldn't play shooters, only saying this as my 6 year old step cousin plays COD on his 360. He won't let any switch it off. Once He hit his Dad for switching off.
    That has nothing to do with the kid, and it doesn't apply to kids in general. The reason the kid is ****ed up with the 360, is due to the lack of good parenting.

your never too young for a shoot em up game
    Indeed.

For all of you that think playing a video game causes people to be "evil killers" and whatnot, take a look into history. There have always been murderers, rapists, and all other sorts of evil scum, but video games have only arisen in the past few years(in a grand scope, of course), so how do you explain what caused these people's destroyed mental states? Did they have a time machine, go into the future and play some GTA? No. They were born mentally unstable, and nothing like a video game can sway their primal instincts to do what they want; killing and other terrible crimes.
    Sure, video games may have an influence of some sort on children and adults alike, but they will never cause a normal, rational being to become a killer. Never.​

Last edited:
    Back