• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How young is too young for shooters?

KanadeTenshi

Banned
    Years
    It depends on maturity, not age.
    And please, all "I'm 16+ so I'm suddenly smart" people, you most like were the same back then, and you probably know the reaction as well; makes me wonder why mute was invented.

Guren

Troll
    Years
    How young is too young for shooters?

If you're not old enough to buy the game you don't need to be playing the game... that simple. I can't stand listening to a group of high pitched 10-15 year olds using every swear word in the book just because mommy and daddy are in the bed (and I have heard it before where their parents came in the room and got on to them). I've seen some mature 15 year olds, and some immature adults. But it just goes back to the age on the box, if you're not old enough to play then you shouldn't be playing. Not because ESRB said it, but because I think it's a good age.
    I'm 15 and my voice has finished changing, if not, it's near the end. Just puttin' that out there :3 I'm not waiting 2+ years to play the game, and it's a genius of a game to be missing out.

It depends on who's playing it. If you're gonna be immature, then the game is unsuitable for you.

Until you're mature enough to not be a colossal douche, you should not be playing games like Call of Duty.
    ^Made me laugh :D

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    Personally, I think the age kids should be able to play shooters is about 12-13, but not online, unless there's a rare case that that kid is mature
    Syd, I couldn't agree more.
    I think that if the kid is mature enough to play shooters than he should be able to play them, as easy as that.

butterbiscuit

Potential!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2013
    I just think most people should follow the age rating.
    I mean, it's okay that if you're 9-12 you can play SSBB. It's not gory or anything. But if you're 8 and you're playing Halo?... I think that's a bit over the line.

With M games, just follow the rules. If it's not a gory shooter, than the age can certainly be lower, though.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    It depends on the maturity of the person in question. Different people mature slower or faster.

I'll tell you one thing, though. People under 16 should not have microphones. Ever.

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
    As some people have said, I think its something that the parents should judge. Is their child mentally mature enough to play M rated games?

Here are some examples, my younger brother began playing Halo on Xbox when he was about 14, but he was mature enough to not swear up a storm 'just to sound cool and mature'. He talked on Live like a mature person would, so it was alright. On the flipside, my step-brother is currently around 14 and he swears up a storm, insults people, and tries to act 'gangsta' because he says its 'cool' and 'mature'. He shouldn't play M rated games, he's too immature.

In other words, parents should know their children enough to know how they would act before they allow them to play certain games.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I'm of the opinion that it should be up to the discretion of the parents. Hopefully they're decent parents...

Here's a DIY gauge: Record yourself while playing, especially online. Don't listen to the recording until a certain amount of time has passed. A week or two, maybe a month. If you sound like an idiot, you are not ready to play this game. Repeat process until you aren't stupid. I'm only half joking. =|

StonerMk2

Beginner RMXP User
    Years
    As some people have said, I think its something that the parents should judge. Is their child mentally mature enough to play M rated games?

Here are some examples, my younger brother began playing Halo on Xbox when he was about 14, but he was mature enough to not swear up a storm 'just to sound cool and mature'. He talked on Live like a mature person would, so it was alright. On the flipside, my step-brother is currently around 14 and he swears up a storm, insults people, and tries to act 'gangsta' because he says its 'cool' and 'mature'. He shouldn't play M rated games, he's too immature.

In other words, parents should know their children enough to know how they would act before they allow them to play certain games.

Couldnt agree more. If the kid is mature enough, then i say, let them have at it. They have to understand that its a game, first and foremost, and then they need to not do what Crystal described about her step-brother. The reason i stopped playing shooters online is because of that very reason. WAY to many kids with mics, lacking both maturity and common decency. I bought Black Ops day one and have already traded it in because i simply cannot play a game with a community like that. I understand not all are like that, but the ones who arnt are too far and inbetween for my tastes. I'll stick to my Singleplayer games and family games.

M4

Freedom of teh speech!!!!!!!!!
    Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2013
    There's **** more important right now then limiting ppl to games.

razzbat

dancer
    Years
    As long as they won't get any impression that this is real, they can be 5.
    wow. if i had kids i would definatelly not let you babysit them. i'm not a psychologist but i know enough to know that it is a bad idea to let a 5 year old play games like gears or l4d2. Even stuff like goldeneye would be pushing it.

i would say it varies from 10-15.
    it mainly depends on the maturity of the person playing, as crystal heart said. The only thing i disagree with is that parents have differant morals and even though they see that they're child is immature, they may let them play violent games anyway. One of my little brother's friend's parents lets they're son, whos 12, play gta. he's already pretty immature but i can see that playing those kinds of games has really done some damage to his brain.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    I don't think you can set a specific age for someone to be playing the game. I mean, does something magically change when a person turns 17, that causes them to suddenly be mature enough to play an M-rated game? I know some people as young as 14-15 that play games like L4D or Halo and are more mature than some 18-20 year olds. I think it's all about maturity, not age - though I agree that there is a certain point where no matter how mature they are, they're too young to be exposed to violent games.

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
    Years
    A better question would be
    "How old should a kid be before you give him a microphone?"

I have no problems with 12-13 year olds playing the game.
    Hell, I was playing 18's by the time I was 10.
    I just don't to hear their squeaky asses swearing over the mic while I'm trying to play.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    I played my first M-rated game when I was 12...

I think I have a slight problem with 10-11 year olds playing violent games. It concerns me not only their choice, but how their parents' are letting them play those games at such a young age.

Years
    I'd say 10+ for normal shooters and then some of the more gory ones should be 14+. I'd personally say 16 but most people are exposed to gore more than me so the rating would probably suit being a bit less.

CoD or Halo are never going to damage someone mentally.

It depends on the maturity of the person in question. Different people mature slower or faster.

I'll tell you one thing, though. People under 16 should not have microphones. Ever.

I don't agree with that at all, there are only a minority under 16 that are stupid using headsets.

I wouldn't bother with xbox live if I didn't have one because the main part of it for me is talking to friends.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I don't see what's so bad about shooters. After all, I've been playing Tyrian since about 6...

*Rimshot*

Generally, I'd say just follow the rating system. The Teen games are pretty spot on rating wise. So, 13 is okay for those shooters.
    I played F-Zero around the age of 8. That game is rated T for absolutely idiotic reasons, so the rating system is, roughly half the time, moot.

For me, though? I started playing shooters (Tribes) around... 8. At 13, I started playing actually violent shooters (CoD. No offense to Tribes fans, but... There's a world of difference), though I've never played anything like Halo, simply because shooters bore me to death.

In my opinion, I feel like too much attention is given to shooters, anyway. Everyone's been raving about the new Black Ops game, and I've been silently waiting for Golden Sun to come out.

But meh. Y'all can do what you want, I'll stick to Touhou and AW.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I just think the situation is different for everyone. Some people are hard-wired to be easily influenced, some people aren't. In the video game world, I like to shoot zombies in the head and cut people in half. I like to run around hitting monsters with swords and do basically everything horrible. In real life, I'm so much the exact opposite it's not even funny. I'm a huge peace advocate, I hate violence of any nature, and I even hate blood. But video games don't effect me the same way. Why? It's the same reason Horror movies have never frightened me.

I can distinguish the difference between fantasy and reality.

My parents raised me to be able to do that. And along with that, I know that my morals in the real world are much different than they are in a mere fantasy game.

I'm not saying 8 year old children should be playing Grand Theft Auto... I agree with the age rating systems for the most part. On the other hand, if I had a 16 year old kid who wanted to play a game rated M 18+, if I knew he was mature enough I would let him.

I really think it truly depends on how someone is taught to approach the fantasy world of gaming. You need to let your kids know it's a world with a completely separate set of rules. I don't buy the whole "subliminal" mind warping theory, I think it's all about influence. You can't let them treat the game as a role - model.

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
    Quoted for truth. I didn't play my first M rated game until like 3 months before I turned 17, and that's because I talked to my mother in a rational way rather than just whining until my parents caved in.

If you aren't old enough to buy it, odds are you aren't mature enough to play it. Simple as that.
    I played my first M-Rated game when I was 5...

Anyways, I don't think there should be an age limit, for SINGLE PLAYER. Those 10 year old kids on PSN/XBL are incredibly annoying, and they should not be allowed to be on. I played shooters when I was very young, and I loved it. I see no problem with letting kids play shooters, as long as they are offline.

Bologna

One might call me "hip"
    Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2014
    I agree with the given game ratings for the most part, at least as general guidelines, but there are certainly exceptions. It would be nice to leave the decision to the parents, but that's not always the best option.

I was first exposed to shooters when I watched my brothers and cousins play and I was between five and seven, and I actually started playing myself not long after at probably 8 or 9, but games were a lot different back then when compared to today, graphics are a lot better and language a lot stronger and I'm pretty sure if I was growing up today there's no chance I'd ever be allowed to watch my brothers and cousins, I was hardly really given permission back then. My younger cousin grew up in much the same way, but years later, and it shows.. kinda wish he followed the game ratings as he is quite the violent child... and I really hope the microphone is kept hidden from him.

Back