• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How young is too young for shooters?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    We all know shooter games are a popular genre these days, and many people, ranging from many ages, play them. But then there are some that I think are too young to be playing shooters, especially the more gory/scary ones like L4D and Bioshock. So the question is, how young is too young?

Personally, I think the age kids should be able to play shooters is about 12-13, but not online, unless there's a rare case that that kid is mature, which more often than not, they're still whiny. And I'm fully aware there are members here that are this age and younger that play online at this age, but it's not like I'm holding anything against you for it. I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks is a decent age for kids to be playing shooters, online or not.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Honestly, the first shooter I played was Halo and that wasn't until I was about 12 years old, and I didn't get on xbox live. Before that it was just me, pokemon, and my other GBA games. Around that age is what I think is a good age to start shooters.

ShinyZoruaGirl

Crazy Rowdyruff Boys Fangirl!
    Years
    Never gonna play Shooters, apparently I'm a girl and don't like gore. The youngest I've seen is 7.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Generally, I'd say just follow the rating system. The Teen games are pretty spot on rating wise. So, 13 is okay for those shooters.

With Mature games, it's the parents decision. I'm not fond of the M rating and think it should be split in two (one around 15 and the other 17). There are some M games that I think are fine for 15/16 year-olds. Not all games though. The parent should educate themselves on the content of the game - not much; just watch a video

I wouldn't say there's a clean cut rule for all shooters.

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years

If you're not old enough to buy the game you don't need to be playing the game... that simple. I can't stand listening to a group of high pitched 10-15 year olds using every swear word in the book just because mommy and daddy are in the bed (and I have heard it before where their parents came in the room and got on to them). I've seen some mature 15 year olds, and some immature adults. But it just goes back to the age on the box, if you're not old enough to play then you shouldn't be playing. Not because ESRB said it, but because I think it's a good age.

I don't think all M rated games should be M rated, I think there should be an in-between rating, like 15. You have games like BioShock that's scary and maybe gore (I haven't played them so I don't know) or Metal Gear Solid: Rising where you can cut people to pieces, and then you have games like Halo or MGS4 that makes you go "Why is this M rated?".

Silver

Kyle
    Years

If you're not old enough to buy the game you don't need to be playing the game... that simple. I can't stand listening to a group of high pitched 10-15 year olds using every swear word in the book just because mommy and daddy are in the bed (and I have heard it before where their parents came in the room and got on to them). I've seen some mature 15 year olds, and some immature adults. But it just goes back to the age on the box, if you're not old enough to play then you shouldn't be playing. Not because ESRB said it, but because I think it's a good age.

I don't think all M rated games should be M rated, I think there should be an in-between rating, like 15. You have games like BioShock that's scary and maybe gore (I haven't played them so I don't know) or Metal Gear Solid: Rising where you can cut people to pieces, and then you have games like Halo or MGS4 that makes you go "Why is this M rated?".
    Quoted for truth. I didn't play my first M rated game until like 3 months before I turned 17, and that's because I talked to my mother in a rational way rather than just whining until my parents caved in.

If you aren't old enough to buy it, odds are you aren't mature enough to play it. Simple as that.

femtrooper

Starfleet Commander
    Years
    Hmmm, probably 14 in my opinion. I didn't start playing 'M' type games til I was about 14 and I think it's an okay age. Grand Theft Auto was the first mature game I played and you can see the same stuff on TV and the internet, so whatever, but 10 year-olds playing it? 7 year-olds? NO! This goes with shooters...they are M for a reason, they are 'adult' situations. I never wanted to play those kinds of games when I was a kid, so I don't get it.

When I was little, I wanted to play Donkey Kong, and that's the way it should be! XDDDD

I work at a music/dvd/games store and it bugs me to see parents come in with their little kids and buy them Call of Duty or Metal Gear Solid and I say..."You know this game is M right?" and they're like, "Yeppers!" It makes me mad that you allow your little kids to play games like that.

Shadow Ball

I <3 ghosties the mosties! :P
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I was playing shooting games like 007 as young as 7 years old... and I turned out just fine, at least I think so. As long as a child can distinguish the difference between fantasy and reality I think it's okay for them to play a simple shooting game. Maybe not something M rated, but heck, I was playing DOOM on our computer when I was like 5 with my dad. As for stuff with excessive amounts of death, gore, ect... I'd say 12 + at the least.

ZestyCactus

From Bulbapedia
    Years
    well idk because my brother was playing GoldenEye when he was like, 5, but then again, he loves Bond films and its not like GoldenEye is super gory. idk maybe 10ish? depends how gory the game is.

Chibi Robo

of the entire epoch!
    Years
    As soon as you hit puberty, because arent we all tired muting that kid who's obviously around 8 and is blasting his mic.

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 12, 2014

QFT. I was about to say the same thing. The ESRB is a really good idea, and it's there for a reason.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    My little brother started playing GTA at age of 6, yes. I'd slap him in the face if he swears or anything, so he doesn't do it.

Years
    I depends strongly on the game. Here's the problem. No country has a perfect ratings system. We have M15+ in Australia, which I have seen Americans asking for, but on the other hand, MA15+ (same as M15+, except it's not a recommendation. You NEED ID.) is the highest that game ratings go. This means that particularly gory games, such as (apparently) L4D2 end up toned down so they can get a rating. If we had 18+ games, I would be happy.

Shooters are such a wide genre. You get things like TF2, where the violence is very mild, the graphics are cel-shaded and people around 13 are fine (provided they don't have a mic, lol). On the other hand, you have your horror genre, starting with Half Life, where the age should be 15. I also think that 15 should be the minimum age for GTA.

"Video games don't kill people; stupid people kill people. Video games don't make people stupid, stupid people make themselves stupid."

In other words, people shouldn't be exposed to that sort of thing at a young age because it mucks with mental development and values, but anyone who takes it to the extreme or is effected when above the age limit has a problem unto themself.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    It all depends on what sort of shooter it is. Some shooters which are for fun and just for killing aliens and stuff like that I would say 12-13 years of age. I would even consider putting the Halo series under this as well, but I haven't played Halo enough to know about it's gore levels and language.

Other games which are solely based on killing and gore such as the Call of Duty series and Left for Dead people should be at least 15-16 years of age. The young people who play these sorts of games don't even have the maturity to handle such content. They also probably beg their parents to buy it for them since all their friends have it or something.

Years
    It depends on the game.

If a game has this age mark:

Then it is against the law for a child or anyone under 18 to buy that game. That is the law and people should respect it. For me, no one under 18 should play those types of games.

However, the other age restriction is more of a guideline to parents.

These are more guidelines to the parents, meaning their is older content, but nothing major.

That is my view on it. It depends on the certified age restriction.

Years
    It all depends on what sort of shooter it is. Some shooters which are for fun and just for killing aliens and stuff like that I would say 12-13 years of age. I would even consider putting the Halo series under this as well, but I haven't played Halo enough to know about it's gore levels and language.

Other games which are solely based on killing and gore such as the Call of Duty series and Left for Dead people should be at least 15-16 years of age. The young people who play these sorts of games don't even have the maturity to handle such content. They also probably beg their parents to buy it for them since all their friends have it or something.
    Halo is borderline a "Disney Shooter", if it wasn't for the flood. Play through those levels on legendary in the dark with headphones. PC gives a better experience. That could screw with their heads a little.

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
    Years
    It depends on the maturity of the kid. Age is just a number, after all, and doesn't say anything about a person besides their physical appearance. When I was a little girl I'd play GTA all the time with my brother, and I'm not too screwed up. xD In fact, I had an unusually strong aversion to violence and swearing until I was about 15 or so, and sometimes I think it was because I was exposed to R-rated games and movies at such a young age. I dislike how some parents choose to keep those things strictly off-limits, as though they're something special. I feel like that might glorify the idea of violence in a child's mind. If anything, I say let the kids have their games but teach them right from wrong in the process. It's much better to do that than to limit what they're exposed to.

Back