• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Side functions of Systems

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    Have you ever used the side functions of your gaming systems? Do you ever use your systems to play CD/DVDs? I know back before I had an Ipod or radio I used my PS2 to play my favorite CDs that otherwise I'd have to sit in the car to listen to because we weren't that well off. I could never get my PS2 to read movies though, it worked like once and then never again. With my 360 though I watch movies all the time. What about you?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    My PS3 doubles as my DVD/Blu-Ray and Netflix machine. And one summer I used my DS and a flashcart as my music player because... I guess either my iPod wasn't working or I couldn't find it or something.

That's about it though. I don't find a lot of the features on my other systems to be too useful. I prefer dedicated machines for media, usually.

TY

I only used my PS2 once to play movies, but that was it, since we have a DVD player close to the system aswell so we don't really need the console for a CD/DVD player anyways :P

Years
    I think I tried using the DVD function on both the PS2 and PS3 for the ones that came with albums, but other than that, my consoles are solely used for gaming purposes :3 Wouldn't have it any other way, to be honest considering I've never been the type of person to purchase CDs and DVDs.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I only have like a dozen movies on DVD, maybe. So it's a rare occasion, but I do use my 360 to play those movies.

Consoles are pretty much only ever used for gaming, though. My computer is hooked up to my tv + wireless mouse, so it's easier to just stream Netflix and such things through that. :P

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I've never really been into using my gaming systems for other purposes. I bought the thing to play video games, not to watch movies or do whatever other ♥♥♥♥ they have consoles do nowadays. I'd prefer it if the console makers would focus on the making the systems specifically for games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I occasionally use my PS3 to play Netflix on the big-screen wall TV but other than that I don't see any reason to use them for it. I've got my laptop for Netflix, gaming, social stuff, music; anything I could want really, and then there's the TV and smartphone for even more of this stuff. I like the idea of these consoles being so multi-functional and I'm sure I'll end up using these aspects more in future when I'm living on my own with more limited funds, but for now I don't see much need to when I've got it all covered already.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    My PS3 is my go to Blu-Ray player, haha. I have a few albums on my Vita, so I've used that as an music player before. I've tried to use my PS2 for movies, but it never read the discs.

But that's it. Anything else, my phone or ipod can easily be a good enough substitute.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Back when I had my PS2 (well, I still have it, but just don't use it anymore), I would put DVDs in every now and then and watch movies on it. :] Aside from that, I'd also listen to music on my PSP on occasion, since I didn't have any phone or MP3 player back then.

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    I use my PS3 as a DVD player pretty much every time I want to watch a DVD and the downstairs TV is occupied. My TV has a built-in DVD player, but I find the PS3 more convenient, since it lets me see how much time is left, etc. I never use the web browser, though, because it's completely crap.

My Vita I'll occasionally use for its web browser, but only because the screen is better than my iPod's, and it's easier to check things quickly on it than it is to switch my laptop on sometimes.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    To be honest, I use my 360 more as a DVD player than a console. It's my least favorite of the ones I have (don't get me wrong, I love it, but I don't play it as much as others) and it's got the smallest amount of games for it in my game library.

As for my other stuff, I don't really use them for side functions. I carry my 3DS everywhere with me, but I never use it to get on the internet or for watching videos...I basically only play games on it. idk I've never been much for side things. I just want to play games, haha.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The PS3 is great for when I want to watch something on YouTube or Netflix but don't want to bother hooking my laptop to the TV. Before I had a smartphone I would browse internet on campus using my 3DS, but that was only a short window of time and it wasn't really enjoyable; more fun because of its novelty than anything else.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
    Years
    I rarely use my consoles for the side functions. Things like camera and stuff bore me. Although sometimes I do use the Internet on mys systems but this is very rare.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    My grandma doesn't have a working DVD player so whenever I go to stay with her I take my xbox and just hook it into the tv in the living room and we watch movies on it since her DVD player likes to scratch up and skip on discs a lot. And I still don't have a personal DVD player so I use my Xbox to watch the two DVDs that I do own. (If only they could play VHS lololol)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    My PS3 is my Blu-Ray player and Netflix machine. It seems to stream Netflix better than my other systems and plus I have it hooked up via Ethernet, so the connection is more stable and faster.

I don't really use my systems for anything else though - I have my phone for music, camera, internet on the go, etc.

Back