• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Slump of the Nintendo Wii U

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Not if the 3DS version is released first, which is the case. Any casual player will pick it up instead of the Wii U version, completely demolishing its system-selling point for the home console.

So people are going to buy the inferior version? Most people actually didn't even think of the 3DS version until the latest direct. Then people said they will likely buy both. As far casual players, they can go ahead I guess but the 3ds its more like a secondary version. Its great on the go, but its lacking a fulfilling home console experience, besides buy the Wii u one and you have lots of great games to go with it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    So people are going to buy the inferior version? Most people actually didn't even think of the 3DS version until the latest direct. Then people said they will likely buy both. As far casual players, they can go ahead I guess but the 3ds its more like a secondary version. Its great on the go, but its lacking a fulfilling home console experience, besides buy the Wii u one and you have lots of great games to go with it.

How is the 3DS version inferior? They're basically the same game, with slightly different content. And like Triforce said, at the moment the 3DS can even boast a mode that the Wii U version isn't going to have. This is how lots of people are going to see it and once again, they're probably going to go with the 3DS version because it gets released first.

Plus, the 3DS has tons more compelling content than the Wii U could even dream of at the moment, so I think you're missing the point on that, too.

Years
    Not if the 3DS version is released first, which is the case. Any casual player will pick it up instead of the Wii U version, completely demolishing its system-selling point for the home console.

Yeah, I see your point. But I'd wait until both games actually come out to make a decision. (though ironically enough I've prematurely said Smash Bros. is going to be a system seller - which I take back now)

About Wii U on general, still a bit early to judge as to whether or not Wii U has failed or not, but the high price of software combined with lack of strong selling point for Wii U has made it a disappointment so far.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Nintendo acts as an exclusive third party to itself. I adore their content, but most people don't want to drop money on a console for one developer. I think they though they could replicate the DS's success with third parties through the inclusion of a second screen over graphics and power

And that's not the case. Home market is very different from the handheld one.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    I think the problem with Nintendo is that they're not willing to bring in third party developers. It's kind of a problem when most of the decent games on a console are exclusives. Honestly, the reason that I haven't bought a Wii U and quite honestly don't plan to is that I don't really feel like dumping 300 bucks on a console that I can effectively only play Mario and Zelda on.

It'd be one thing, I guess, if Nintendo still gave a crap about their other franchises (Bring back F-Zero!), but it honestly feels like they just want to release Pokemon, Mario and Zelda games nowadays.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    I think the problem with Nintendo is that they're not willing to bring in third party developers. It's kind of a problem when most of the decent games on a console are exclusives. Honestly, the reason that I haven't bought a Wii U and quite honestly don't plan to is that I don't really feel like dumping 300 bucks on a console that I can effectively only play Mario and Zelda on.

I don't think it's an unwillingness for them to bring in third party developers, but rather they are unable to win over third party developers. They've had third party developers come in and help build games for them in past; Ubisoft I believe is the only company who has publicly backed the system up (barely.) It's rather that because of the poor performance sales and the cost to make games nowadays, third party companies feel there is a huge risk in constructing a game for another system where it might not sell well. And I don't blame them. Why take a gamble on a system that statistically shows will not produce the numbers that say the Xbox One or PS4 will produce?

And it's not like third party support is doing much good anyway as of now. Splinter Cell Blacklist has only accounted for 2% of the Wii-U's overall sales, and Call of Duty Ghosts has only accounted for a measly 0.3%. For huge franchises like those to not do well on the Wii-U is a very, very bad sign for any AAA companies like the ones who make GTA or Battlefied who wants to follow in their footsteps, as it makes it seem that the Wii-U is more targeted towards a younger audience. Which in my personal opinion, I feel like it does (Bayonetta 2 you are my only exception <3)

You seriously think the Wii U's getting more indie support than other platforms?
    Well, it's not Steam, but yeah. Sony and Nintendo have been making a big push, and developers have been pretty favourable to Nintendo - even if it takes forever for anything to land there
    At this year's Game Developer's Conference - which is more Indie and mobile-game oriented than anything - only 4% of the developers there said that they will be developing for the Nintendo Wii-U. So unfortunately based off this news, as much I'd love to see some Indie games hit the scene on the Wii-U, it doesn't sound like a lot of production is going to be coming out from that side of gaming.

Last edited:

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    However two issues that might be particular to the Wii U are probably marketing and the game pad. Marketing being the argument that the general public doesn't quite know the difference between a Wii U and a Wii, and the game pad being the fact that I've still yet to see a truly groundbreaking use of it

This was my personal confusion when I first heard of it.

I didn't know what the HECK it was!

They didn't market it properly so most people didn't know what the Wii U was. Was it a new system? Was it an upgrade? Was it just an add-on? Hardly anybody knew.

They only advertised the gamepad so I thought that the Wii U was just an add-on for the Wii.

countryemo

Years
    How is the 3DS version inferior? They're basically the same game, with slightly different content. And like Triforce said, at the moment the 3DS can even boast a mode that the Wii U version isn't going to have. This is how lots of people are going to see it and once again, they're probably going to go with the 3DS version because it gets released first.

Plus, the 3DS has tons more compelling content than the Wii U could even dream of at the moment, so I think you're missing the point on that, too.

We don't even know all the info yet, so I think your missing the point on that. Like I said quite a few people said they are getting both (like what happened with MH3U, its a companion sort of game, play it on the go), or going with the Wii U version exclusively.

Sure some will only buy the 3DS version, its a great handheld, great games. Though some people don't like handheld much, love it but I hardly play it.

It'd be one thing, I guess, if Nintendo still gave a crap about their other franchises (Bring back F-Zero!), but it honestly feels like they just want to release Pokemon, Mario and Zelda games nowadays.
    Funny thing is that's why most people buy Nintendo systems and that they don't care about the usually meh lack of polish and charm games that 3rd parties put outout, which is why they hardly do well on Nintendo platforms, because their not up to our standards.
    Yes Nintendo has not done much with some of their IPs. But I've seen Kirby, do, new IPS, and homages to old franchises. But some stuff like fzero has not sold great, so Nintendo is acting like every other publisher and sticking to what sells.

This was my personal confusion when I first heard of it.

I didn't know what the HECK it was!

They didn't market it properly so most people didn't know what the Wii U was. Was it a new system? Was it an upgrade? Was it just an add-on? Hardly anybody knew.

They only advertised the gamepad so I thought that the Wii U was just an add-on for the Wii.
    Their advertising was meh, maybe its just me, and the fact that I watch the e3 and I could totally tell it was a new system. The main population isn't always that smart though.

elheroeoscu " said:
    At this year's Game Developer's Conference - which is more Indie and mobile-game oriented than anything - only 4% of the developers there said that they will be developing for the Nintendo Wii-U. So unfortunately based off this news, as much I'd love to see some Indie games hit the scene on the Wii-U, it doesn't sound like a lot of production is going to be coming out from that side of gaming.
    Why do I see more indies right now on the Wii u? Sure that might change, but as of now.

And on the subject of this whole third party thing. Third parties were thing of ways and were excited, Nintendo approached them and all that. Though take EA, they were mainly excited because the Wii u needed an online system, and ea wanted origin on it. Nintendo said no, so ea got all against them and never put out full effort. Some devs inside were still excited and made games like crysis 3 for the Wii u, even though it was complete, EA shut it down.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I like it, and I don't let it's poor sales affect how much I like it. Who cares how much a product sells as long as it's good and I think the Wii U has a decent library. Nintendo just doesn't know how to market the Wii U or anything.

Still, MK8 and SSB4 are coming soon so it could all change.

countryemo

Years
    I like it, and I don't let it's poor sales affect how much I like it. Who cares how much a product sells as long as it's good and I think the Wii U has a decent library. Nintendo just doesn't know how to market the Wii U or anything.

Yeah people are a bit obsessed with numbers, as long as you like something why get in a fuss about it? Console numbers are nothing. Only reason why PS4s is high is because ads and false hype.

Didn't you hear? SSB 3DS and MK7 are out so they won't sell AT ALL for the Wii U.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2020
    We don't even know all the info yet, so I think your missing the point on that. Like I said quite a few people said they are getting both (like what happened with MH3U, its a companion sort of game, play it on the go), or going with the Wii U version exclusively.

I'm pretty sure we know enough to realise the fact that they're the same game, dude. It's the same roster, same controls, same sort of online play, and they're going to be released within 6 months of each other. A choice for the majority of players is implied here.

Their advertising was meh, maybe its just me, and the fact that I watch the e3 and I could totally tell it was a new system. The main population isn't always that smart though.

Not a lot of people watch E3. And you can't blame the failure of marketing based on the fact that the general population was too stupid to understand it.

Why do I see more indies right now on the Wii u? Sure that might change, but as of now.

Well, I'm not seeing that many. Unless you back it up with numbers this is really just a back-and-forth on how we both think things are panning out.

Yeah people are a bit obsessed with numbers, as long as you like something why get in a fuss about it? Console numbers are nothing. Only reason why PS4s is high is because ads and false hype.

Didn't you hear? SSB 3DS and MK7 are out so they won't sell AT ALL for the Wii U.

Numbers are a good way to tell which product is doing better than the other. They matter quite a lot; and low numbers for some companies might affect the way they do business in the future.

I'm also not arguing that SSB for the Wii U won't sell at all, but I think it'll definitely sell less compared to the idea of it being released before its 3DS counterpart. That much to me is a bit of a no-brainer.

Years

The games themselves are always game changers. I don't have a Wii U, or the Wii for that matter, but even with the announcement and impending release of MK8, I'm actually tempted to get the system.

I don't mean to cause any console war of any type in this thread, but reason why PS4 is because of the games. I think as gamers ourselves, we look forward to the games more than anything rather than the gritty details of the system. Sure, the high specifications do help from generation-to-generation, but it all comes down to the library of games the console possesses. Like I mentioned above, reason why I personally have never invested in the Wii or Wii U thus far is because I don't have a preference for either the motion control nor the games currently out for them.

countryemo

Years
    I'm pretty sure we know enough to realise the fact that they're the same game, dude. It's the same roster, same controls, same sort of online play, and they're going to be released within 6 months of each other. A choice for the majority of players is implied here.

Not a lot of people watch E3. And you can't blame the failure of marketing based on the fact that the general population was too stupid to understand it.

Well, I'm not seeing that many. Unless you back it up with numbers this is really just a back-and-forth on how we both think things are panning out.

Numbers are a good way to tell which product is doing better than the other. They matter quite a lot; and low numbers for some companies might affect the way they do business in the future.

I'm also not arguing that SSB for the Wii U won't sell at all, but I think it'll definitely sell less compared to the idea of it being released before its 3DS counterpart. That much to me is a bit of a no-brainer.

If its a big game like that, it'll sell even though its pretty much the same. How else do you think CoD manages to sell that much every year?
    Sure I can.
    Indies: https://nintendoenthusiast.com/article/wii-u-upcoming-games/ then they commented on ign article saying there was about 20 games that was announced as they were reading. Then there is some not on there but is a possibility, plus the ones already out. PS4/One have less then that, though they do have some decent looking exclusive ones.
    It would still sell potentionally less, because of the install base. And percentages are a much more accurate than numbers.

I don't mean to cause any console war of any type in this thread, but reason why PS4 is because of the games. I think as gamers ourselves, we look forward to the games more than anything rather than the gritty details of the system. Sure, the high specifications do help from generation-to-generation, but it all comes down to the library of games the console possesses. Like I mentioned above, reason why I personally have never invested in the Wii or Wii U thus far is because I don't have a preference for either the motion control nor the games currently out for them.
    Console wars are stupid. Perhaps, though thats why I never got a PS3/4 360/One is because they just dont carry enough games to interest me (20 or less) that arn't on the Wii U or other already. Nintendo offers the games I like. I tried the PS2 years later, didn't get much out of it.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Console wars are stupid. Perhaps, though thats why I never got a PS3/4 360/One is because they just dont carry enough games to interest me (20 or less) that arn't on the Wii U or other already. Nintendo offers the games I like. I tried the PS2 years later, didn't get much out of it.

this is true for me. I need Nintendo properties to play first and foremost. In any given year, I think there's more Nintendo games I want to pick up than any other.

However, by the end of last generation, the number of games I had more than a passing interest in on the PS3 was quite substantial-ish. I would have a pretty solid library. I'd totally buy them if the PS4 played them :\

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    So nintendo just posted their losses from last fiscal year and...

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...xpected_along_with_modest_wii_u_sales_targets

As much as I like the Wii U, the sales have been terrible. Nintendo has no idea how to market anything. I think this will be the deciding year if the wii u will finally have a breakthrough with Mario Kart 8 and SSB4. SSB games have never been bestsellers, so I doubt it will appeal to anything but core fans. I have better hopes for MK8 as it isn't released near 2 new gaming systems and Mario Kart 8 is always a best seller. It's their last chance imo.

3DS sales are also slowly descending as there aren't a lot of big games coming out for it in 2014 - they released most of their core IP's and there more obscure ones would be a tough sell. The 3DS is still doing fine, but 2013-2014 was a awful, awful year for nintendo as these figures prove.

had to get that off my chest

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    Nintendo is very weird with marketing now. They announce a lot of games like "oh hey, you can buy this is two weeks". No build up or hype or word of mouth. No commercials on tv that I've ever seen or print.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Nintendo is very weird with marketing now. They announce a lot of games like "oh hey, you can buy this is two weeks". No build up or hype or word of mouth. No commercials on tv that I've ever seen or print.

I know one old youtube user who thinks that strategy is a good idea, because then he won't have to hate the game based on the hype it's getting through marketing, just the teaser trailer. It's also why he gave Brawl a bad review, because of the website spoiling the features for him.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I know one old youtube user who thinks that strategy is a good idea, because then he won't have to hate the game based on the hype it's getting through marketing, just the teaser trailer. It's also why he gave Brawl a bad review, because of the website spoiling the features for him.
    Well.... he's wrong. idk

Getting the word out about your product is more important than some trolly web comments made by people who bought the game in the end anyway

Back